Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2011   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default is it a coaches problem

since we took Kubes from Denver we have had trouble punching in the endzone of our opponents. Is it because Gary calls all the plays and calls the formations or does Schaub have the authority to change the play at the line of scrimage. Are the Texans hands tied to the coach in the red zone. I understand that the blocking schemes have to be precise to work and when they do I could be the running back. Bt just like this last game seems we threw out the run for the pass.

I am just asking cause we have several years of this same problem and it is not anything to do with the Defense, except that they got very tired after several 3 and outs at the end of the game.

Does anybody hold Gary accountable or is it always the offence or defense and the coach is excused.
Old 09-27-2011   #2
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: is it a coaches problem

If you wanted to speak with Steelbtexan or Dexman C you should just PM those guys.

Last edited by Mr teX; 09-27-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it has a lot to do with the blocking scheme. There's less room to work their synchronicity as a unit. They aren't big enough to get the push.

However, I'm going to wait until Foster's back in the back field before I panic too much. Dude can find seams that others can't. 16 TD's ain't too shabby either
Old 09-27-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a guess but if it is a run play the FB will block and the RB handles the ball. I know the QB can keep but that is rare for Texans. If it is a pass, ball can go to WR or TE (3-4 options rather than one). Also if the Qb runs laterally, he can dart toward the goal line, drawing the defense to him thereby reducing the defenders in area of the target. In the past, I think many fans would just as soon see a pass to AJ, Walter or Daniel than a handoff to RB.
Old 09-27-2011   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
since we took Kubes from Denver we have had trouble punching in the endzone of our opponents. Is it because Gary calls all the plays and calls the formations or does Schaub have the authority to change the play at the line of scrimage. Are the Texans hands tied to the coach in the red zone. I understand that the blocking schemes have to be precise to work and when they do I could be the running back. Bt just like this last game seems we threw out the run for the pass.

I am just asking cause we have several years of this same problem and it is not anything to do with the Defense, except that they got very tired after several 3 and outs at the end of the game.

Does anybody hold Gary accountable or is it always the offence or defense and the coach is excused.

Careful, somebody gonna give you some pink soap if you keep this up.
Old 09-27-2011   #6
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems more like a "we don't have a healthy Arian Foster" problem to me
Old 09-27-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
It seems more like a "we don't have a healthy Arian Foster" problem to me
or a Vonta Leach lead blocker

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2011   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
If you wanted to speak with Steelbtexan, you should just send him a PM.
LOL

I will reserve judgement until after Foster is healthy on the RZ efficiency.

Last yr the Texans were good in the RZ. If there's a problem then it's all on Gary. Either by not giving Schaub flexability or even if he does Gary is the one that hand pick Rick Smith and probaby has the last say during the draft and FA.

This is Garys team and like talking about the CB's not playing the defense that was called. The Texans have taken on Garys personality. Garys kids are undisciplened. But they're great kids that try their hardest. Meanwhile after 5.2 yrs of the same crap over and over again. People on this MB are still in Garys corner hoping that this yr is going to be different. (Not gonna happen)

Even though Gary will probably make the playoffs this yr due to being in a ridiciously weak division. BoBBY will give Gary another extention and the fans will still be stuck for yrs with a team that only plays 2qtrs of football for yrs to come. (Worse cas scenario)

The big question is can Gary lead this team to a Lombardi trophy? 5.2 yrs would suggest this isn't going to happen. There's no telling how many more losing/underachieving seasons will have to happen before Gary supporters will see the light. Some probably never will.

Exciting close losses may be good enough for some. But it's all about W/L's for me. Who really believes Gary can lead this team to a SB and is being honest with themselves. All of the wishful thinking/hoping for change is great. But history is what it is and you cant get around these facts. It's all about W/L's not about stats/recognition etc....

Last edited by steelbtexan; 09-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it has a lot to do with the blocking scheme. There's less room to work their synchronicity as a unit. They aren't big enough to get the push.

However, I'm going to wait until Foster's back in the back field before I panic too much. Dude can find seams that others can't. 16 TD's ain't too shabby either
Funny, there was an NFL analyst from Yahoo Sports on 1560 this morning who considers the Texans O-line the best in the League with both the pass and run. He also considers this years Red Zone woes to the absence of AF.
Old 09-27-2011   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Huh? Giving up 23 points in the final quarter has A LOT to do with defense. And please don't try the 3 and out routine. Remember HWSNBN and his 3 & out woes. That defense never gave up 23 points in the final quarter. In fact, that (past Sunday) was the first time in Texans history IIRC.
Old 09-27-2011   #11
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
LOL

Last yr the Texans were good in the RZ. If there's a problem then it's all on Gary. Either by not giving Schaub flexability or even if he does Gary is the one that hand pick Rick Smith and probaby has the last say during the draft and FA.

This is Garys team and like talking about the CB's not playing the defense that was called. The Texans have taken on Garys personality. Garys kids are undisciplened. But they're great kids that try their hardest. Meanwhile after 5.2 yrs of the same crap over and over again. People on this MB are still in Garys corner hoping that this yr is going to be different. (Not gonna happen)

Even though Gary will probably make the playoffs this yr due to being in a ridiciously weak division. BoBBY will give Gary another extention and the fans will still be stuck for yrs with a team that only plays 2qtrs of football for yrs to come. (Worse cas scenario)

The big question is can Gary lead this team to a Lombardi trophy? 5.2 yrs would suggest this isn't going to happen. There's no telling how many more losing/underachieving seasons will have to happen before Gary supporters will see the light. Some probably never will.

Exciting close losses may be good enough for some. But it's all about W/L's for me. Who really believes Gary can lead this team to a SB and is being honest with themselves. All of the wishful thinking/hoping for chage is great. But history is what it is and you cant get around these facts. It's all about W/L's not about stats/recognition etc....
Not a lot I would disagree with here. But for now, I've temporarly set aside my Kubiak hate and chose to cheer the Texans on. If there comes a point this season that it looks like all the other seasons Kubiak has brought us, I'll be back pounding on Kubiak's case like there was no tomorrow.

He shouldn't even be here this season, but he is, and I've decieded to live with it for now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #12
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not canning Gary Just seems to me every year i the same old same old. We got a team that would run a great Mike Leach offense and we have Gary Kubiak who I still cannot figure out what he is doing. And when you go 3 and Out Bill you put the defense back on the feild and Drew Breeze spreads the feild so it wears on a defense. just seems to me that if we are gonna run the run damit. I am mad at the fact that we let a game slip again. If thi is the norm I predict we will not make the playoffs, we need Hope And Change and All I see is the same Old Same Old
Old 09-27-2011   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: is it a coaches problem

Old 09-27-2011   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
LOL

Exciting close losses may be good enough for some. But it's all about W/L's for me. Who really believes Gary can lead this team to a SB and is being honest with themselves. All of the wishful thinking/hoping for chage is great. But history is what it is and you cant get around these facts. It's all about W/L's not about stats/recognition etc....
Damn steelb, i almost didn't recognize this post as yours....its too fair & balanced lol.

In all seriousness though, there's not alot i can disagree with, although the bolded & the "superbowl or bust" thing is a rather harsh standard for any coach to be judged by..let alone a coach who hasn't even been to the playoffs.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Funny, there was an NFL analyst from Yahoo Sports on 1560 this morning who considers the Texans O-line the best in the League with both the pass and run. He also considers this years Red Zone woes to the absence of AF.
I think the Oline's pretty good too. That is, when they have the room to work the stretch plays. There's just too much of a cluster-**** down on the goal line.

I just read LZ's blog and he seems to think Foster might be the answer too. I'm hoping we're all right about that. Although, running from anywhere on the field is going to be difficult this week.
Old 09-27-2011   #16
Ckw

To answer one of your questions that it doesn't look like anyone has addressed, Gary DOES NOT let Schaub change the play. When have you ever seen Schaub audible? I sure can't remember a time. If someone knows differently and has some examples, please provide them because by no means am I the authority on the subject.

But as far as I know, the play called by Gary is the play run 100% of the time. I absolutely despise this about Kubes.
Old 09-27-2011   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I think all this Kubiak hate is just so illogical, it's not even funny.

Someone made a comment the other day (forgot who) that there are some here that want to be right about Kubiak more than they want to win.

You know what? I believe that. And that's pretty darn sad.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think the Oline's pretty good too. That is, when they have the room to work the stretch plays. There's just too much of a cluster-**** down on the goal line.

I just read LZ's blog and he seems to think Foster might be the answer too. I'm hoping we're all right about that. Although, running from anywhere on the field is going to be difficult this week.
they are pretty good zone blockers, but when you have short space and no longer have to cover the length of the field there are too many people to stretch. You have to man block...gotta man up and blow someone off their mark. That is not this teams strength and that is why Kubiak gets too cute around the goal line at times. Foster's slashing ability masks a classic zone blocking team weakness.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubes sticks to his offensive system a little too much sometimes. He does not creatively use his players and seems to have a tendency to “square peg in a round hole” some potential weapons.

Jacoby and Slaton are good players in space but are used exactly like Kevin Walter and Ben Tate respectively.

Mike Martz seems to be doing the exact same thing in Chicago.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I am not canning Gary Just seems to me every year i the same old same old. We got a team that would run a great Mike Leach offense and we have Gary Kubiak who I still cannot figure out what he is doing. And when you go 3 and Out Bill you put the defense back on the feild and Drew Breeze spreads the feild so it wears on a defense. just seems to me that if we are gonna run the run damit. I am mad at the fact that we let a game slip again. If thi is the norm I predict we will not make the playoffs, we need Hope And Change and All I see is the same Old Same Old
Under the years of HWSNBN, we faced other elite QB's and never collapsed on defense like that. True the offense should've moved the ball more, but also that's when you need to have a defense that can help bail you out and get off the field. This just in, Kareen Jackson is a liabilty on defense. I'm not saying he won't ever be able to play, but it's becoming more and more evident that he would be better suited in a Tampa 2 defense.

Furthermore, while the offense did faulter, they also scored 17 in the second half. Defense gave up 7 in the 3rd and 23 in 4th.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read