Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2011   #41
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak is 1 and 18 in road games versus teams with eventual winning record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw View Post
The fans better riot. If Houston fans don't get off their asses to go picket outside of Reliant if Kubiak has another 8-8/9-7 whether we make the playoffs or not, I will forever lose all respect for Houstonians.

We have got to stop settling for mediocrity. Our owners trot out shit on a platter and call it steak. It's time we stop gobbling it up!
Fans have no chance to impact owner decisions unless they stop buying tickets.

And PSL's pretty much guarantee that ticket boycotts will never happen.

It's an investment!

We have to face reality Texans fans: this franchise is what it is.

Let's just hope for the best, and of course, you know, "just be happy football is back in Houston".
Old 09-27-2011   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak is 1 and 18 in road games versus teams with eventual winning record

Quote:
The fans better riot. If Houston fans don't get off their asses to go picket outside of Reliant if Kubiak has another 8-8/9-7 whether we make the playoffs or not, I will forever lose all respect for Houstonians.

We have got to stop settling for mediocrity. Our owners trot out shit on a platter and call it steak. It's time we stop gobbling it up!
I didn't know McNair funded this project? Who knew? the low bar satisfaction on Kirby drive was maddening in the past. I knew they didn't take winning a Super Bowl seriously a few years ago when they were hurting their hands patting themselves on the back for going 9-7. Everyone just assumed that they were "there". What they were was mediocre. They have been humbled a bit since then so I think the bar is higher now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #43
silentassassin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2069 silentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respectedsilentassassin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This franchise takes baby steps. It has done this for 9 years. Remember when it was a big deal that they won back-to-back games? Remember when they finally won three in a row? Last year it was the monumental and historic 4-2 start - THE FIRST IN TEXANS HISTORY!! Of course, the 2-8 record that followed kinda' deflated that party balloon.

I fully expect them to make the playoffs and be one-and-done. It's the in the Texans DNA to never over-reach, to never be something bigger than the parts.

But hey, I'll take a playoff spot this year. It's better than the last nine years of nothin'.
this. I think this is the damning reality of this franchise. I find it hard to believe they'll progress any other way. I was too young when the Oilers were in town and began watching the Texans in 02 when I was a kid. I've kind of "grown with the team" and accepted the fact that they won't make some giant leap forward.

Last edited by silentassassin; 09-27-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: poor grammar
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #44
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not all Kubiaks fault. This is a team sport. It's ashame that we judge one guy for a team loss.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #45
Ckw

Quote:
Fans have no chance to impact owner decisions unless they stop buying tickets.

And PSL's pretty much guarantee that ticket boycotts will never happen.

It's an investment!

We have to face reality Texans fans: this franchise is what it is.

Let's just hope for the best, and of course, you know, "just be happy football is back in Houston".
I don't completely buy it DB. I can't think of an instance right off the top of my head, but I know these type of protests have worked in other cities. The owner still wants happy fans because happy fans mean even more money. I don't think it is a matter of stop going to the games or nothing. A good protest can bring bad publicity to the Texans, and you know how much Bobby hates bad PR. All it would take is a large enough effort to get plastered all over the news, have the papers asking if Bobby really cares and listens to the fans, and I'd bet my lunch money that he caves in.

Too many Houstonians though are willing to take your attitude that we have no control and nothing we do will change anything. Enough pissed off people could get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I didn't know McNair funded this project? Who knew?
Hilarious!!!! Man, it's great having you back Vinny!

Quote:
the low bar satisfaction on Kirby drive was maddening in the past. I knew they didn't take winning a Super Bowl seriously a few years ago when they were hurting their hands patting themselves on the back for going 9-7. Everyone just assumed that they were "there". What they were was mediocre. They have been humbled a bit since then so I think the bar is higher now.
Great post, and a very sad reality. I have never seen an organization so happy and content with mediocrity. I wonder if Bobby Billionaire had to go see Dr. Brown for that injured hand of his.
Old 09-27-2011   #46
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
It's not all Kubiaks fault. This is a team sport. It's ashame that we judge one guy for a team loss.
Someone needs to issue a memo to all NFL owners: "It's a team sport! Stop blaming your team's performance on the head coach!"

That should put a halt to the senseless turnover at the HC position.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't completely buy it DB. I can't think of an instance right off the top of my head, but I know these type of protests have worked in other cities. The owner still wants happy fans because happy fans mean even more money. I don't think it is a matter of stop going to the games or nothing. A good protest can bring bad publicity to the Texans, and you know how much Bobby hates bad PR. All it would take is a large enough effort to get plastered all over the news, have the papers asking if Bobby really cares and listens to the fans, and I'd bet my lunch money that he caves in.

Too many Houstonians though are willing to take your attitude that we have no control and nothing we do will change anything. Enough pissed off people could get it done.

Hey, I feel your pain, man. I'm just being pragmatic and telling it like it is based on this city's history.

They sold out Reliant after 2-14. They've sold out Reliant every year that this team has existed. It's almost like the Texans have a fail-proof plan. Marketing genius is what it is.

As for McNair, you just have to understand his mentality. He admires Robert Kraft and the Rooney family. Loyalty and patience are his calling cards, and nothing the fans do (short of not purchasing tickets) will have an impact. And that's just a guess on my part because it's never happened.

TV revenue guarantees that NFL franchises will make money every year. So it's merely a hunch that fans can have an impact on the fundamental nature of our owner. We cannot judge McNair based on other cities. It's just not applicable.

I have no doubt that he wants to win. Obviously as an owner fan, he wants to win. And as a business man, he wants to win.

But he wants to win his way, not on a coaching carousel, but with hometown hero sub-plots and loyalty and patience as his mantras.

It is what it is, man. I've learned over the years to quit fighting it. We have a choice to be fans, and part of being a fan of the Texans is just accepting the nature of our owner.
Old 09-27-2011   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't know McNair funded this project? Who knew? the low bar satisfaction on Kirby drive was maddening in the past. I knew they didn't take winning a Super Bowl seriously a few years ago when they were hurting their hands patting themselves on the back for going 9-7. Everyone just assumed that they were "there". What they were was mediocre. They have been humbled a bit since then so I think the bar is higher now.
Thanks Vinny!! And right before lunch, too??? No burgers today!
Old 09-27-2011   #49
Ckw

Quote:
Hey, I feel your pain, man. I'm just being pragmatic and telling it like it is based on this city's history.

They sold out Reliant after 2-14. They've sold out Reliant every year that this team has existed. It's almost like the Texans have a fail-proof plan. Marketing genius is what it is.

As for McNair, you just have to understand his mentality. He admires Robert Kraft and the Rooney family. Loyalty and patience are his calling cards, and nothing the fans do (short of not purchasing tickets) will have an impact. And that's just a guess on my part because it's never happened.

TV revenue guarantees that NFL franchises will make money every year. So it's merely a hunch that fans can have an impact on the fundamental nature of our owner. We cannot judge McNair based on other cities. It's just not applicable.

I have no doubt that he wants to win. Obviously as an owner fan, he wants to win. And as a business man, he wants to win.

But he wants to win his way, not on a coaching carousel, but with hometown hero sub-plots and loyalty and patience as his mantras.

It is what it is, man. I've learned over the years to quit fighting it. We have a choice to be fans, and part of being a fan of the Texans is just accepting the nature of our owner.
DB, you know I love you bro, but I strongly believe McNair's hatred of bad press trumps his desire for a hometown hero sub-plot. Remember, marketing company with a football division.

Appearances matter more to Bobby Billionaire than anything else including winning. If the Texans front office starts getting some bad press, McNair will cave. The fans just have to get off their asses and hit Bobby where it hurts: on the front page of the newspaper.
Old 09-27-2011   #50
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Someone needs to issue a memo to all NFL owners: "It's a team sport! Stop blaming your team's performance on the head coach!"

That should put a halt to the senseless turnover at the HC position.
Hey I will type one up!

Old 09-27-2011   #51
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Hey I will type one up!
;-)
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

So.. where did Capers come from? Pasadena? Port Neches? Katy? If Capers would have won football games, I'm sure he'd still be here now.

Maybe when it came time to fire Kubiak, he looked around & the teams that were on the bottom are still on the bottom. The Lions, the 49ers, the Bills... & he realized changing head coaches doesn't guarantee you anything. Yeah, it works for other franchises, the Saints, the Jets... but there are just as many failures.

Look, I don't have a clue why Kubiak is still here. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing (or at least little) to do with him being a hometown boy.
Old 09-27-2011   #53
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
;-)
It's not never one guys fault!

Signed,

Dan Orlovsky

Old 09-27-2011   #54
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
DB, you know I love you bro, but I strongly believe McNair's hatred of bad press trumps his desire for a hometown hero sub-plot. Remember, marketing company with a football division.

Appearances matter more to Bobby Billionaire than anything else including winning. If the Texans front office starts getting some bad press, McNair will cave. The fans just have to get off their asses and hit Bobby where it hurts: on the front page of the newspaper.
How much bad press does he need? The Texans have 9 seasons and counting of bad press. It did not shake him when half our fanbase was butthurt about not signing VY. It did not shake him when his 9-7 team went 6-10 (after a 4-2 start).

Bad press might trump hometown hero sub-plot, but I can tell you straight up that 10 decades of sold out stadium trumps any bad press.

Money talks, and it's singing a lullaby to Bobby McNair every night.

The opinions of fans don't mean squat to McNair when they are paying customers. That's just the way it is, and PSL's as investments are going to keep it that way. What a magnificent scam the owners have hoisted upon their fans. "Build our stadiums and let us sucker you into a lifetime obligation!" Genius, man, pure genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So.. where did Capers come from? Pasadena? Port Neches? Katy? If Capers would have won football games, I'm sure he'd still be here now.

Maybe when it came time to fire Kubiak, he looked around & the teams that were on the bottom are still on the bottom. The Lions, the 49ers, the Bills... & he realized changing head coaches doesn't guarantee you anything. Yeah, it works for other franchises, the Saints, the Jets... but there are just as many failures.

Look, I don't have a clue why Kubiak is still here. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing (or at least little) to do with him being a hometown boy.
Hey, 2-14 will get anyone fired.

He likes Kubiak. He likes that he's got hometown roots. He's stated that on more than one occasion. If that factors in his decision and by how much, who knows? But there is no denying that it feeds his loyalty to the coach. So yeah, perhaps matter of degrees, but if it's about marketing, that hometown hero sub-plot (now fortified with vitamin Wade!) is a good angle to sell.

Same thing with David Carr being a God-fearing family man. ALL evidence pointed to him being a bust, but McNair would have none of it. Kubiak's ego thought he could do something, and it was only when his head coach gave Carr the thumbs down did he finally give in to letting him go.

Y'all seem to expect savy football decisions from our owner. At what point in the past decade has he displayed a tendency to make front office decisions from an insightful analytical perspective?

I swear it's like the last 8 year of this forum never happened sometime. Déjà vu X ∞.
Old 09-27-2011   #55
Ckw

Quote:
How much bad press does he need? The Texans have 9 seasons and counting of bad press. It did not shake him when half our fanbase was butthurt about not signing VY. It did not shake him when his 9-7 team went 6-10 (after a 4-2 start).

Bad press might trump hometown hero sub-plot, but I can tell you straight up that 10 decades of sold out stadium trumps any bad press.

The opinions of fans don't mean squat to McNair when they are paying customers. That's just the way it is, and PSL's as investments are going to keep it that way. What a magnificent scam the owners have hoisted upon their fans. "Build our stadiums and let us sucker you into a lifetime obligation!" Genius, man, pure genius.
Agree to disagree and all that jazz I guess. Regardless, I'm with you that McNair pretty much sucks as an owner. Thanks for bringing football back to Houston, Bobby, but other than that, you have been a pretty unremarkable owner.

I hope you are wrong. Neither of us has the evidence to prove the other wrong because Houstonians have never staged any kind of mass protest at Reliant. So we really don't know what Bobby would do if his back was against the wall, the people were chanting anti-Kubiak rhetoric, and he was forced to either fire the guy or be hated by all of Houston and have the press bash his franchise like never before. IF it happens, Houstonians are fools to not even try to get Bobby's attention.
Old 09-27-2011   #56
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hey, 2-14 will get anyone fired.

He likes Kubiak. He likes that he's got hometown roots. He's stated that on more than one occasion. If that factors in his decision and by how much, who knows? But there is no denying that it feeds his loyalty to the coach. So yeah, perhaps matter of degrees, but if it's about marketing, that hometown hero sub-plot (now fortified with vitamin Wade!) is a good angle to sell.

Same thing with David Carr being a God-fearing family man. ALL evidence pointed to him being a bust, but McNair would have none of it. Kubiak's ego thought he could do something, and it was only when his head coach gave Carr the thumbs down did he finally give in to letting him go.

Y'all seem to expect savy football decisions from our owner. At what point in the past decade has he displayed a tendency to make front office decisions from an insightful analytical perspective?

I swear it's like the last 8 year of this forum never happened sometime. Déjà vu X ∞.
The biggest thing with this team is hindsight would kill you if you let it . It's also apparent that Bob gets to close to the help and I don't mean the cheerleaders . Look at the drafts since 2006 and notice the teams with top 10 picks . See which ones are good and took off and which ones can't get off the ground .
Old 09-27-2011   #57
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Agree to disagree and all that jazz I guess. Regardless, I'm with you that McNair pretty much sucks as an owner. Thanks for bringing football back to Houston, Bobby, but other than that, you have been a pretty unremarkable owner.

I hope you are wrong. Neither of us has the evidence to prove the other wrong because Houstonians have never staged any kind of mass protest at Reliant. So we really don't know what Bobby would do if his back was against the wall, the people were chanting anti-Kubiak rhetoric, and he was forced to either fire the guy or be hated by all of Houston and have the press bash his franchise like never before. IF it happens, Houstonians are fools to not even try to get Bobby's attention.
Oh, don't get me wrong: I think you are correct that McNair would pay attention if fans stopped buying tickets.

But, I suppose where we disagree is that I do not the think Texans fans will ever follow through with it.

PSL's have created a different kind of fan in some ways. Lots of folks going to "the big event" now. Wine and cheese and luxury. I've noticed it for years. I'm not insulting them, but it's obvious that the majority of PSL holders at Reliant are not hardcore 'live and breathe' football junkies.
Old 09-27-2011   #58
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL. The "best 9-7 ever" included 5 straight losses in the AFC South. Now
that the AFC South appears weak, people a writing the Texans in as the
shoe-in champion. "NFC Westing" your way into the playoffs should
not be good enough for this fanbase nor team owner, but we all know
it will be.

Demanding excellence from this coaching staff in its SIXTH SEASON must
be too much of a "negative" thing.
Old 09-27-2011   #59
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong: I think you are correct that McNair would pay attention if fans stopped buying tickets.

But, I suppose where we disagree is that I do not the think Texans fans will ever follow through with it.

PSL's have created a different kind of fan in some ways. Lots of folks going to "the big event" now. Wine and cheese and luxury. I've noticed it for years. I'm not insulting them, but it's obvious that the majority of PSL holders at Reliant are not hardcore 'live and breathe' football junkies.

A lot of us are sitting at home watching the games on TV, yelling and screaming because we cannot afford tickets.
Old 09-27-2011   #60
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not me! I curse those damn club people every game for being inside on the carpet instead of in their seat where it matters!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read