Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2005   #1
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We got our speedster in Jerome Mathis

to compliment AJ.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Yay...I like it.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #3
Dionysus22
Veteran

Default Jerome Mathis baby!!

Are you kidding me?!?! How did he fall that far to us?! I'm totally stoked with this pick. The kid is a burner. I'm lovin this draft so far.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
cadahnic
All Pro

Hell yes Baby. I knew Cass had it in him. We are back in this draft. Now we need to make a trade and grab Antaj Hawthorne or Chris Kemoeatu, or CJ Moseley. Man I am thrilled with this pick it is frickin great. JJ Moses, Bradford, Swinton they can all go find new jobs we just got a baller.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

1 for 3 aint bad...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #6
Eyeguy
Veteran

Good pick, does not make up for the faliures of Sat.
Eyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

I love this pick. it is freaking awesome. I am totally thrilled that we got this kid and he will be a dynamo in the slot and special teams. I think we need to trade back into this round to get an Interior lineman or a DL.
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

A burner - sub 4.3 40
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/mathis_jerome
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need interior O-Line help more than another receiver, but with that said, I really like Mathis' potential and I think with a little work, he can end up being a good receiver...Didn't he run a sub-4.3 40?
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #10
cadahnic
All Pro

It does ease the pain a little, but we did lose Elton Brown who I thought we should have taken in the third.
Old 04-24-2005   #11
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Hell yes Baby. I knew Cass had it in him. We are back in this draft. Now we need to make a trade and grab Antaj Hawthorne or Chris Kemoeatu, or CJ Moseley. Man I am thrilled with this pick it is frickin great. JJ Moses, Bradford, Swinton they can all go find new jobs we just got a baller.
I agree except Swinton. That kid can ball too. He's been doin work since he's been here. Mathis has been in the league for about 5 mins now.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #12
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

Default Texans select wr jerome mathis?

The texans selected wr jerome mathis anyone got and link to stats bout this guy or who he is?
Old 04-24-2005   #13
cadahnic
All Pro

D-Rek are we thinkin Chris K. or maybe CJ Moseley or Hawthorne for the D-Line. I am excited now. Swinton is little more than a journeyman that has done nothing. I think he will be good as a gunner on special teams but not a threat at the kick return spots. I wish he could switch and play corner though because his footwork and hips are nice.
Old 04-24-2005   #14
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

He runs a 4.28 40. That's really all you need to know.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/mathis_jerome

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #15
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

I'd love to see us get Hawthorne...however, it doesnt seem like I've been getting what I've wanted so far...ugh...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #16
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent pick. Great kick returner and speed burner at 4.32 in the 40.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
D-Rek are we thinkin Chris K. or maybe CJ Moseley or Hawthorne for the D-Line. I am excited now.
I don't think we would take Hawthorne, but I'd love to have Kemoeatu, Jason Brown, or Ben Wilkerson...I wouldn't be against using a 5th and maybe a 6th to get back into the fourth...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #18
Daonly
Veteran

Jerome Mathis WR Hampton 5’11 181
By: Robert Davis
www.footballsfuture.com They Had Him High Second Round Pick to Titans!

One of the fastest risers of late, Jerome Mathis is a name everyone needs to know. There may not have been a better playmaker at wide receiver in college the past few seasons. As a sophomore in 2002, Mathis made a name for himself by catching 24 passes for 615 yards and 3 touchdowns. That's an average of over 25 yards per catch. He also ran the ball 20 times for 188 yards on the ground. In 2003, he caught 40 passes for 977 yards and 9 touchdowns. He save the best for last though, as this past season he upped his average per catch to over 29 yards a grab. He caught 29 passes for 864 yards and 9 touchdowns. The best numbers though, were his kick return numbers. He averaged 35.5 yards per kick return with an amazing 5 for touchdowns. His 6 career return touchdowns set a NCAA record. Mathis also doubled as a track star, as he was a two time NCAA East Regional 200m champ.

Mathis is the most exciting player in this draft. Give him the ball and watch him come up with something out of nothing. He averaged over 25 yards per catch during his career, over 9 yards per carry, and over 25 yards per kick return. He accelerates in and out of cuts very quickly, and gets to second gear immediately. He brings instant impact ability as a kick returner.

Playing for Hampton creates questions about the talent he faced in college. He did not face top corners on a consistent basis, so it’s going to be a switch when he gets to the NFL. He’s going to need some time to develop his skills and adjust to the big leap in talent. He may be a project at receiver, but should make an impact on special teams immediately.

Mathis first started making waves as a potential first rounder during the Gridiron Class in January. He had two receptions for 59 yards, two rushes for 49 yards, and added 35 yards on his lone kick return. He only solidified himself as a borderline first rounder after he turned in a blazing 40 time of 4.32 at the combine, which some say may have been the fastest in the combine’s history. Some teams are going to be scared off by his lack of polish as a receiver, but his playmaking ability is going to entice someone to call his name within the Top 50 of the draft in April.
Daonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #19
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11948 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

From CBS Sportsline:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/416101

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a lean, tightly muscled frame with a thin waist (built for speed) … Shows good strength to release vs. press coverage, using his hands effectively, combined with sudden acceleration to avoid the jam … Does a good job of maintaining balance along the sidelines … Has the second gear needed to separate in the open … Will body catch, but does not drop many balls … Not the type who will shy away from contact, showing aggression, leaping ability and timing to combat for the ball in flight … Does a very good job of tracking the ball in over his shoulders and has the hip wiggle and shake to easily elude defenders after the catch … Shows the ability to come back quickly for the under-thrown pass and displays crisp stop-and-go action … Unlike most sprinters, he has more than only straight-line acceleration … He is active with his hands to maintain separation with the defender and is adept at executing double moves to elude … Very effective running deep routes, posts and verticals, as he has the pure speed to win any foot race … Gives good effort and stays to fight when asked to block at the line of scrimmage.

Negatives … Has made improvements in using his hands to assist in his release, but needs to run crisper routes, especially in the short area, where he rounds his cuts and looks sluggish coming out of his breaks … Must work on maintaining concentration on the ball, as he has dropped a few easy tosses because he looks to run before securing the ball … Double catches the ball quite a bit, letting it absorb into his body and needs to show better hand extension to catch away from the body's frame … Well-liked and a hard worker, but had two off-field incidents (assault), with one leading to a conviction.

INJURY REPORT
No injuries reported.

AGILITY
4.28 in the 40-yard dash … 2.51 20-yard dash … 1.53 10-yard dash … 35.5-inch vertical jump … 10'1" broad jump … 32 5/8-inch arm length … 9 3/8-inch hands … Right-handed … 19 Wonderlic score.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #20
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

wow he seems to be what were lookin for in our threat across from AJ....u think hes capable of being a starter?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read