Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mock after game 3

As much as I like a WR in first round two things are developing. One is the guy I want Jeff Fuller is not playing to my expectations. Second, Walter and Jacoby Jones seem to be holding WR2 down as they did last season so I am not as eager to burn a first on this position.

As of now, cornerback has been forced onto the front burner. KJ is not doing as well under Phillips' regime as I had hope but is reverting back to his rookie year. I had hoped that Harris or McMannis would have beaten out either Jackson or Allen & I have no insight as to why Brandon Harris is hugging the bench. I think an elite left tackle would move Brown to RT and in turn Winston to either RG or backup. Unfortunately. I don't see one where I anticipate Texans to draft nor a real good RG either. Anyways, here is my draft for 2012 picking at #25.

1. Cover corner and there are several I am researching including Jayron Hosely and Eddie Whitley (FS/CB) both from Virginia Tech, Coryell Judie (Texas A&M & did not play in 1 point loss against OSU), Janoris Jenkins Alabama, Claiborne from LSU and Dennard from Nebraska.
2. ILB Dont'a Hightower Alabama
3. NT Dontari Poe Memphis
4. LT or OG
5. SS/FS/CB Winston Guy Kentucky (team sucks but he has played pretty well last 2 seasons)
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,848
Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Mock after game 3

CB takes time to learn.

KJ may not have it, but Brandon Harris might. McCain might... McMannis might.

I say we stick with the game plan & move on from CB... if anything, get me another vet in FA.

From the draft, I want another WR.... a RT (or a LT so we can move Duane Brown) or a RG
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #3
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,862
Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As much as I like a WR in first round two things are developing. One is the guy I want Jeff Fuller is not playing to my expectations. Second, Walter and Jacoby Jones seem to be holding WR2 down as they did last season so I am not as eager to burn a first on this position.

As of now, cornerback has been forced onto the front burner. KJ is not doing as well under Phillips' regime as I had hope but is reverting back to his rookie year. I had hoped that Harris or McMannis would have beaten out either Jackson or Allen & I have no insight as to why Brandon Harris is hugging the bench. I think an elite left tackle would move Brown to RT and in turn Winston to either RG or backup. Unfortunately. I don't see one where I anticipate Texans to draft nor a real good RG either. Anyways, here is my draft for 2012 picking at #25.

1. Cover corner and there are several I am researching including Jayron Hosely and Eddie Whitley (FS/CB) both from Virginia Tech, Coryell Judie (Texas A&M & did not play in 1 point loss against OSU), Janoris Jenkins Alabama, Claiborne from LSU and Dennard from Nebraska.
2. ILB Dont'a Hightower Alabama
3. NT Dontari Poe Memphis
4. LT or OG
5. SS/FS/CB Winston Guy Kentucky (team sucks but he has played pretty well last 2 seasons)

Nice thoughts. Here are my thoughts. Right now, I am thinking we have invested a lot in CB and need to see what we have. We just got Joseph who moved eveyone down one slot. We just drafted Harris and Roc. Let's see what they can do before we get more high end CBs. In retrospect we did nothing about a stud NT. More pass rushers for the 3-4 and a solid to above average ILB to replace Meco would be great.


I think the way you beat an elite QB, is to put silly pressure on the QB. Watt looks good and Smith seems to be doing fine. The problem we have is that our NT Cody isn't putting enough pressure. I say go get a Big NT who can move and play 1 gap.

1. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
Big strong 330+ lb NT who has good feet and can move. Reminds me of Jamal Williams. He is a large 1 gap NT who can penetrate and is still stout enough to play the run. Put this behomouth on the line and suddenly you have a strong internal push.

2. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama/Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh
More pressure. I know we have Mario, Barwin, and Reed, but more pass rushers is the key to the 3-4. Having tons of pass rushers means Wade can come up with more exotic blitz packages.


3. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Demeco is struggling due to injuries. I think Hightower is an immediate upgrade and helps our D tremendously.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame
 
BigBull17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alvin
Age: 33
Posts: 5,046
Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
CB takes time to learn.

KJ may not have it, but Brandon Harris might. McCain might... McMannis might.

I say we stick with the game plan & move on from CB... if anything, get me another vet in FA.

From the draft, I want another WR.... a RT (or a LT so we can move Duane Brown) or a RG
Duane Brown is by far the best olinemen not named Myers on our roster. He is a LT that most teams would love to have. Not moving him anywhere.

Right tackle could use upgrading, but I would love a stud WR to team with AJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Nice thoughts. Here are my thoughts. Right now, I am thinking we have invested a lot in CB and need to see what we have. We just got Joseph who moved eveyone down one slot. We just drafted Harris and Roc. Let's see what they can do before we get more high end CBs. In retrospect we did nothing about a stud NT. More pass rushers for the 3-4 and a solid to above average ILB to replace Meco would be great.


I think the way you beat an elite QB, is to put silly pressure on the QB. Watt looks good and Smith seems to be doing fine. The problem we have is that our NT Cody isn't putting enough pressure. I say go get a Big NT who can move and play 1 gap.

1. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
Big strong 330+ lb NT who has good feet and can move. Reminds me of Jamal Williams. He is a large 1 gap NT who can penetrate and is still stout enough to play the run. Put this behomouth on the line and suddenly you have a strong internal push.

2. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama/Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh
More pressure. I know we have Mario, Barwin, and Reed, but more pass rushers is the key to the 3-4. Having tons of pass rushers means Wade can come up with more exotic blitz packages.


3. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Demeco is struggling due to injuries. I think Hightower is an immediate upgrade and helps our D tremendously.
Eventually, offense needs some attention. WR, guard, RT, qb.
__________________
Ugh, I wish my dog would quit Schaubin in the living room...
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,350
Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Texans need a red-zone weapon to compliment who they currently have on the roster. WR to help Andre is a strong possibility, Johnson is being bracketed almost every play & while still effective to some degree, imagine if defenses had to account for a viable 1a/2 WR? Oklahoma WR Ryan Broyles would fit Kubiaks system instantly, he has been very productive in the red-zone over extended time with 39TD's. RB is also a need to score TD's in the red-zone. Tate has filled in admirably for Foster while he recovers, getting him back will make a huge difference but depth is a problem. Texans could dump Slaton & Ward by selecting a high pick @ RB. LaMichael James comes to mind, not so much he just rushed for 288 yards against Arizona but he knows how to find the end zone (47 times). Even QB is possible although the least likely. I like that Kellen Moore kid from Boise State, he is in the Drew Brees mold, undersized good pocket mobility/presence, very accurate and productive with 111 TD's so far in his College career.

Point is all options need to remain open to add another peice to the puzzle offensively to score @ a higher proficiency in the red-zone. As mentioned Texans have invested heavily in their secondary already, I would expect things to work themselves out by next draft so CB becomes less suspect.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
CB takes time to learn.

KJ may not have it, but Brandon Harris might. McCain might... McMannis might.

I say we stick with the game plan & move on from CB... if anything, get me another vet in FA.

From the draft, I want another WR.... a RT (or a LT so we can move Duane Brown) or a RG
We don't have time to wait for one of these guys to develop. I think Harris can start, Phillips does not. IMO we got very fortunate in free agency landing two excellent players. It could happen again next season with CB but we better be looking for lightning to hit at NT and Oline in free agency.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Nice thoughts. Here are my thoughts. Right now, I am thinking we have invested a lot in CB and need to see what we have. We just got Joseph who moved eveyone down one slot. We just drafted Harris and Roc. Let's see what they can do before we get more high end CBs. In retrospect we did nothing about a stud NT. More pass rushers for the 3-4 and a solid to above average ILB to replace Meco would be great.


I think the way you beat an elite QB, is to put silly pressure on the QB. Watt looks good and Smith seems to be doing fine. The problem we have is that our NT Cody isn't putting enough pressure. I say go get a Big NT who can move and play 1 gap.

1. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
Big strong 330+ lb NT who has good feet and can move. Reminds me of Jamal Williams. He is a large 1 gap NT who can penetrate and is still stout enough to play the run. Put this behomouth on the line and suddenly you have a strong internal push.

2. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama/Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh
More pressure. I know we have Mario, Barwin, and Reed, but more pass rushers is the key to the 3-4. Having tons of pass rushers means Wade can come up with more exotic blitz packages.


3. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Demeco is struggling due to injuries. I think Hightower is an immediate upgrade and helps our D tremendously.
Good post! We have invested a lot on Dline but drafted one first round anyway but I understand your point. We drafted Harris who cannot get on field and Carmichael who is on IR. Want to wait another year and hope we got it right with one of them? Not me. Our first two pick Watt and Reed were to shore up the rush but you want another? Do you see how you seem to be contradicting your point on CBs?

Ta'amu was on my board but my mock draft partner RMartin 65 said he has looked pathetic so I have switched to Dontari Poe NT Memphis in 3rd.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings
http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-f...dontari01.html

I like Upshaw but feel we are set at OLB unless Mario goes.

Hightower is my 2nd round pick.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2011   #8
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,862
Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Good post! We have invested a lot on Dline but drafted one first round anyway but I understand your point. We drafted Harris who cannot get on field and Carmichael who is on IR. Want to wait another year and hope we got it right with one of them? Not me. Our first two pick Watt and Reed were to shore up the rush but you want another? Do you see how you seem to be contradicting your point on CBs?

Ta'amu was on my board but my mock draft partner RMartin 65 said he has looked pathetic so I have switched to Dontari Poe NT Memphis in 3rd.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings
http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-f...dontari01.html

I like Upshaw but feel we are set at OLB unless Mario goes.

Hightower is my 2nd round pick.
I hear you, but I see the NT as a position we have not addressed. While we went after an OLB and a DE, we basically said we were happy with Mitchell and Cody. The key to a 3-4 is the play of the NT. I really think a strong powerful NT would have made a difference against a studly OL like the Saints.

I have not seen a ton on Ta'amu but he seemed like the right mix of size and speed. Of course we will see some more as the season continues.

Thanks!
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I hear you, but I see the NT as a position we have not addressed. While we went after an OLB and a DE, we basically said we were happy with Mitchell and Cody. The key to a 3-4 is the play of the NT. I really think a strong powerful NT would have made a difference against a studly OL like the Saints.

I have not seen a ton on Ta'amu but he seemed like the right mix of size and speed. Of course we will see some more as the season continues.

Thanks!
I think if we had pre-injury Ryans and the rapidly progressing Cushing the weakness at Nose would not be as obvious but I would still draft a NT.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #10
Doppelganger
None
 
Doppelganger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,862
Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think if we had pre-injury Ryans and the rapidly progressing Cushing the weakness at Nose would not be as obvious but I would still draft a NT.
Agreed. The problem is, the Ryans we have is post injury and according to CnD, he may never be the pre-injury Meco.
__________________

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,848
Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I hear you, but I see the NT as a position we have not addressed. While we went after an OLB and a DE, we basically said we were happy with Mitchell and Cody. The key to a 3-4 is the play of the NT. I really think a strong powerful NT would have made a difference against a studly OL like the Saints.

I have not seen a ton on Ta'amu but he seemed like the right mix of size and speed. Of course we will see some more as the season continues.

Thanks!
I think a guy like BJ Raji is a once in a long-ass time kind of player. Someone his size, that moves like that... I don't see too many of them coming out of college.

& that's what Wade wants.

Instead, I think we'll have to move JJWatt inside, put Mario at DE and go from there. That's if Brooks Reed becomes what he should be.

Or even Antonio, I can see Antonio being very successful in this system.

But I don't see us acquiring a traditional NT.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame
 
steelbtexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 51
Posts: 11,864
Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Give me
Rd.1 Micheal Floyd WR, Notre Dame
Rd.2 Josh Chapman DT, Alabama
Rd.3 Nate Potter OT,Boise St.
Rd.4 Keenan Robinson ILB, UT

I would jump for joy if the draft fell this way.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me
Rd.1 Micheal Floyd WR, Notre Dame
Rd.2 Josh Chapman DT, Alabama
Rd.3 Nate Potter OT,Boise St.
Rd.4 Keenan Robinson ILB, UT

I would jump for joy if the draft fell this way.
Interesting comment on Floyd I heard last Saturday. Floyd was in trouble over money raised by a bake sale? I thought it was memorabilia or something he sold. If that is all he moves ahead of Fuller on my board.

naah it was the drinking.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,968
Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

The one game this season I have been able to watch Ta'amu in depth was against Nebraska, where he looked dreadful. Was washed out of plays most of the game, and was often blocked by one blocker. I dont like to judge a player on just one game, but he looked very bad. He needs to impress in the next game for me to think of him as a first round talent.

I like you draft badboy, but I would really prefer to see another position in the first. I think we have enough invested in the secondary already, we need to see what the young talent (Harris, Carmichael) has.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #15
The Cush
All Pro
 
The Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 642
Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

We've been going defense heavy in the first round for the past couple of years, I would rather see us go offense in WR or OL help this time around and plug the holes on D with veterans. There are so many stud receivers in college, Blackmon, Floyd, and Alshon Jeffrey to name a few. Some of them look like top 10 locks but you never know what happens from here till wherever we are picking
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,350
Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
We've been going defense heavy in the first round for the past couple of years, I would rather see us go offense in WR or OL help this time around and plug the holes on D with veterans. There are so many stud receivers in college, Blackmon, Floyd, and Alshon Jeffrey to name a few. Some of them look like top 10 locks but you never know what happens from here till wherever we are picking
ever heard of Rutgers Mohamed Sanu? just a small sampling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ONBbN0H7Tc
In only 3 games Sanu has 36 receptions, 4 TD's avg. 121 yd. per game. only a junior so he would have to come out early which has yet to be determined? seems like a great kid, solid character, hard worker would be a great fit in Texan locker room.
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
We've been going defense heavy in the first round for the past couple of years, I would rather see us go offense in WR or OL help this time around and plug the holes on D with veterans. There are so many stud receivers in college, Blackmon, Floyd, and Alshon Jeffrey to name a few. Some of them look like top 10 locks but you never know what happens from here till wherever we are picking
So we need to go from 30+ ppg to 40+ppg? Guys, we need to slow down the other teams a bit don't you think? The main reason on my first mock I had WR Fuller in first because no other position has a comparable starter at a need position. It is now blatantly obvious that CB2 is a priority need that has a starter available in 2012 draft.

Cush, what Olineman will be there in 22 or later? None I see. If you are going to get a prospect, do it later in draft is my contention.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #18
Ndevine7
All Pro
 
Ndevine7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Age: 22
Posts: 532
Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So we need to go from 30+ ppg to 40+ppg? Guys, we need to slow down the other teams a bit don't you think? The main reason on my first mock I had WR Fuller in first because no other position has a comparable starter at a need position. It is now blatantly obvious that CB2 is a priority need that has a starter available in 2012 draft.

Cush, what Olineman will be there in 22 or later? None I see. If you are going to get a prospect, do it later in draft is my contention.
There are some OL that could be available at 22 or later. Datko OT from Florida State is a solid player and so is Glenn G from Georgia. I cant see this team giving up on Jackson after only his 2nd season. It took years for them to realize that Travis Johnson and Okoye werent the right fit. I cannot see them taking a CB in the first round unless a stud drops to us or Wade Phillips strongly suggests that Jackson cannot get better and it was a huge mistake to draft him. Especially because they just spent a high draft pick on Brandon Harris and should expect something from him by next year.

Right now I see this teams needs as
1)NT-Obviously Cody isnt cutting it there and they could use a legitimate NT
2)WR-We dont have a #2 WR right now and i know everyone says Daniels is the 2nd option, but we need a solid #2 WR to make sure AJ does not get doubled all the time. AJ is also getting up there in age and we could use a guy that AJ could groom to be the eventual #1.
3)OL-Whether it is a OT or OG the OL needs some depth with Butler going down. The Texans could get a starter and potentially move the line around or just get some depth.
4)OLB/DE depth- With Mario's future uncertain and his injury history we need some depth behind Mario,Barwin and Reed.
5)DE/DT depth- Right now we have 2 very solid 3-4 DE's but do not have that much depth behind them. Tim Jamison is not cutting it if one of them goes down.
6)MLB depth- Hopefully DeMeco comes back to full strength but it is quite possible that he will never get to the same level he was at. Texans should draft a developmental ILB incase DeMeco fails.
__________________
Noel Devine Heisman 2010

Last edited by Ndevine7; 09-27-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Ndevine7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #19
The Cush
All Pro
 
The Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 642
Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So we need to go from 30+ ppg to 40+ppg? Guys, we need to slow down the other teams a bit don't you think? The main reason on my first mock I had WR Fuller in first because no other position has a comparable starter at a need position. It is now blatantly obvious that CB2 is a priority need that has a starter available in 2012 draft.

Cush, what Olineman will be there in 22 or later? None I see. If you are going to get a prospect, do it later in draft is my contention.
I'm not familiar with any of the O-line prospects but I agree with you defense still needs work. I'm not opposed to going defense in the draft again, but I would rather have defensive additions addressed through free agency than with rookies who may or may not produce from Day 1, especially at the corner position where outside of Joseph (who is relatively young himself but has experience) is filled with youth. I believe during the Dolphins game the announcers stated we have the 4th youngest starting D.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011   #20
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 23,044
Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock after game 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
There are some OL that could be available at 22 or later. Datko OT from Florida State is a solid player and so is Glenn G from Georgia. I cant see this team giving up on Jackson after only his 2nd season. It took years for them to realize that Travis Johnson and Okoye werent the right fit. I cannot see them taking a CB in the first round unless a stud drops to us or Wade Phillips strongly suggests that Jackson cannot get better and it was a huge mistake to draft him. Especially because they just spent a high draft pick on Brandon Harris and should expect something from him by next year.

Right now I see this teams needs as
1)NT-Obviously Cody isnt cutting it there and they could use a legitimate NT
2)WR-We dont have a #2 WR right now and i know everyone says Daniels is the 2nd option, but we need a solid #2 WR to make sure AJ does not get doubled all the time. AJ is also getting up there in age and we could use a guy that AJ could groom to be the eventual #1.
3)OL-Whether it is a OT or OG the OL needs some depth with Butler going down. The Texans could get a starter and potentially move the line around or just get some depth.
4)OLB/DE depth- With Mario's future uncertain and his injury history we need some depth behind Mario,Barwin and Reed.
5)DE/DT depth- Right now we have 2 very solid 3-4 DE's but do not have that much depth behind them. Tim Jamison is not cutting it if one of them goes down.
6)MLB depth- Hopefully DeMeco comes back to full strength but it is quite possible that he will never get to the same level he was at. Texans should draft a developmental ILB incase DeMeco fails.
I have Datko rated in 3rd round at best. Here are some supporting comments althought nfldraftscout.com has him late 1st, early 2nd.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/...prospect-notes
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/651

WHile I am big fan of Harris, there are some corners who should be available in first that could be better. I agree with you rother points just not necessarily on when each should be addressed.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger