Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2011   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will Steve Slaton ever pass....

the line of scrimmage?

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder. Handing off to him is a serious waste of a down. I can't believe that we had Ogbannaya who maybe wasn't averaging 4 ypc in the preseason but was averaging something and we refuse to even give him his due opportunity because Steve Slaton has the most effective fall at the LOS.

It's not his fault we lossed but I'm getting tired of SS just getting the handoff and falling down like Kareem Jackson.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #2
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will Steve Slaton ever pass....

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
the line of scrimmage?

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder. Handing off to him is a serious waste of a down. I can't believe that we had Ogbannaya who maybe wasn't averaging 4 ypc in the preseason but was averaging something and we refuse to even give him his due opportunity because Steve Slaton has the most effective fall at the LOS.

It's not his fault we lossed but I'm getting tired of SS just getting the handoff and falling down like Kareem Jackson.
NO! Cut his ass now and use the roster spot for someone that deserves it.
Old 09-26-2011   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
the line of scrimmage?

Seriously?
The guy had 4 carries.
Old 09-26-2011   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton is not what he used to be. That doesn't mean we have someone better than him to bring in. 4th string RBs that can actually do something worthwhile are not 4th string. If ya know what I mean.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #5
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was surprised that they didn't try to use him more on screen passes when he was in the game. IIRC, that was his strong suit. SS could catch the ball in space and then pick up some decent YAC. I thought that's how we should have used him instead of him running straight into his blockers EVERY time. I know for a fact that he had a cut back lane and just completely missed it. Instead, he just flowed down the line of scrimmage until everything just collapsed on him. I wish he still had "IT", but apparently it's gone and "IT" isn't coming back. Whether that's confidence or something else, it's just not working for the guy anymore.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #6
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Seriously?
The guy had 4 carries.
Meanwhile, on 4 carries earlier in the game Ben Tate had 20 yards.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #7
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought you were going to ask about a half back pass. Slaton has lost it, and I just dont think he will ever be the same he was that 1 year.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2011   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I was surprised that they didn't try to use him more on screen passes when he was in the game. IIRC, that was his strong suit. SS could catch the ball in space and then pick up some decent YAC. I thought that's how we should have used him instead of him running straight into his blockers EVERY time. I know for a fact that he had a cut back lane and just completely missed it. Instead, he just flowed down the line of scrimmage until everything just collapsed on him. I wish he still had "IT", but apparently it's gone and "IT" isn't coming back. Whether that's confidence or something else, it's just not working for the guy anymore.
When I saw him come in, I was thinking screen play all day. I mean that is how you handle a blitz right?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
Meanwhile, on 4 carries earlier in the game Ben Tate had 20 yards.
No he didn't. Tates first 4 carries were for a total of 15 yards, 11 of which came on one run. His other 3 totaled 4 yards
Old 09-26-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve is more effective as a bulk carry guy...

Mainly because eventually a blind squirrel finds a nut. And that fits steve perfectly. Terrible vision.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
NO! Cut his ass now and use the roster spot for someone that deserves it.
Agreed. The Steve Slaton experiment has left the building.

Time to bring Chris O up, he proved himself in the preseason.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Slaton needs to get better coming off the bench. But, I bet he's got a confidence issue. If you see how they use him, putting him in the game against Miami, but then calling a time out so you can get Tate back in the game...

Getting him in the game needs to be a little more planned, & not just off the hip. If you don't think he can get the job done, regardless of the situation, you either need to put more thought into when & why you are putting him in there, or cut him.

I wonder what it's going to be like when Ward or Foster comes back in the game. I think the team(coach) is more confident with Ward, so he probably won't care too much about the situation.

But if Foster's in there, we probably won't see Tate or Ward until the game is well in hand, which the way we play defense may not happen too often.

But instead of looking at Slaton like a back up running back, he needs to be looked at as another option. Like the Saints did with Sproles. I'm not saying that Slaton is Sproles, only that he should be used in that fashion.

The Saints got 3 running backs involved in that game & two of the three were productive. This offense has been together long enough to be able to throw plays for Casey/Slaton in to loosen things up.
Old 09-26-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post

Time to bring Chris O up, he proved himself in the preseason.
Kinda like Brooks Reed did right?
Old 09-26-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Good post -

They havent played to Slatons strong suit since in his most recent oppportunities (going back to last year).

Slatons a guy who needs to get outside to do his damage. Seems to me he wants to break every run for a big one instead of taking whats there on the cut back.
Screens and runs outside the tackles is where Slaton made his mark before .... With Tate and Foster .... those two can make positive yards anywhere on the field.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude's completely lost his vision. It's almost like a Junior High RB, where he's told to hit the hole that's called on the play. He hits the hole no matter if it's there or not. Ending with him running up the backs of the Oline.
Old 09-26-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

But instead of looking at Slaton like a back up running back, he needs to be looked at as another option. Like the Saints did with Sproles. I'm not saying that Slaton is Sproles, only that he should be used in that fashion.
Slaton doesn't have the the vision or manuverability that Sproles has.

SS needs for the hole to be where he is running...He is not going to find the hole...Give it to him in volume though and he will bust some long ones eventually...

Only thing is, he is not good enough to get a bulk of the carries. He really isn't good enough to get any carries when everyone is healthy.

Personally, I think we should dump him and use the extra roster spot on someone else.

Joique Bell is a guy who I'd look at. I really like his game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

What happened to him? He was really good his rookie season but hasn't played anywhere near that level since then.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

he never really had great vision. If you give him a big hole he can explode through it, but if you ask him to find a crease like Foster or Tate....he just ain't in their league.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 19116 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he never really had great vision. If you give him a big hole he can explode through it, but if you ask him to find a crease like Foster or Tate....he just ain't in their league.
There are quite a few running backs that aren't the one cut and go, that would have never excelled in the zone blocking scheme.

I wonder how Barry Sanders would have done in the zone blocking scheme.. or better yet Bo Jackson.. I could easily see Bo Jackson + zone blocking scheme.. that would have been interesting to watch.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't figure out why Slaton wasn't cut, considering that he never played a down in preseason.

I don't care what Slaton did that one year. He's not the same. Maybe it's blitz protection that he's better at than Chris Ogbonnaya, I dunno.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read