Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans make Saints appear Unstoppable !

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...ar-unstoppable

[IMG]NEW ORLEANS -- Up two scores with 11:20 left, the Houston Texans' defense saw Drew Brees bring his guys on the field for three nearly-flawless drives: touchdown, touchdown, touchdown.[/IMG]

NEW ORLEANS -- Up two scores with 11:20 left, the Houston Texans' defense saw Drew Brees bring his guys on the field for three nearly-flawless drives: touchdown, touchdown, touchdown.

Then, after the Texans turned it over on downs in desperation, the Saints got to kneel down.

New Orleans seemed pretty much unstoppable at the game’s biggest moments as it ran away from the Texans for a 40-33 win that was played at such a frantic pace that even mere observers were left breathless.

But don’t use the word unstoppable when talking about the Saints' offense with Houston’s defensive backs, who refused to admit defeat in such terms, leaning instead on the standard “we-didn’t-make-plays” explanation.

“They’re not unstoppable,” safety Glover Quin said, with teammates from the secondary around him joining in to scoff at the notion. “We just didn’t make the plays that we needed to make. ... It wasn’t like they’re something special.”

“They’re a good team,” cornerback Kareem Jackson more reasonably conceded. “We didn’t make the plays we needed to make and they did. That doesn’t mean they’re unstoppable. It’s football.”

With all due respect, if you don’t make the plays, and the other guys keep running into the end zone without you stopping them, and they score 40 points against you, I’m going ahead and calling them unstoppable.

The Texans’ transformed defense that could not stop the pass last season allowed New Orleans to convert 6 of 8 third downs in the second half. Brees finished with 370 passing yards and three touchdowns to go with interceptions by the Texans two new veteran defensive backs, Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning.

There is no great shame in losing to the Saints at the Superdome, but the Texans will carry regrets over the failure to capitalize on the numerous opportunities there were to pull away and move to 3-0.

Gary Kubiak told his team better red zone play, or better defense late, or better coverage on a couple plays and it would have been flying home happy. Instead it’s 2-1, even with the Titans atop the AFC South.

Defensive backs and linebacker made several good plays against the Saints in the first half, breaking up passes in tight coverage or making it too hard for targets to corral passes.

In the second half, there was often more space.

“We kind of backed off of them,” defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. “I thought we wanted to play them a little tougher and a little tighter when we needed to and we didn’t when we needed to. So I think we learned from that. … Our guys played hard, but we just didn’t play well in the second half.”

It was not all on the defense, of course.

Of a possible 35 points out of trips into the red zone, the Texans settled for 19. At crunch time in the fourth quarter, they gained 1 yard in a three-and-out possession and saw Matt Schaub throw an interception to Jabari Greer to kill another.

“They're a great team, we have a lot of respect for them,” Schaub said. “We feel we’re pretty good too and we have the potential to be great too. We just have to keep climbing the ladder, look at this, understand why we didn’t get this done.”

In a season where Kubiak’s job is believed to be on the line and Peyton Manning's neck surgery has opened things up in the division, the Texans have higher expectations than ever.

But a defense revamped into a 3-4 with a Phillips-instilled swagger suffered its first relapse.

Several veteran defenders said they understood the comparison to last season even if they didn’t co-sign it. Last season’s version of the Texans had trouble finishing and many -- myself included -- have questioned whether the overall team personality and mental makeup are suited to win such games.

“When you get 40 hung on you, that’s a terrible day,” linebacker DeMeco Ryans said. “You’ve got to stop teams from scoring and we couldn’t stop them from scoring today.”

Said linebacker Brian Cushing: “I felt we should have won this game. Whether it was last year or the year before, we’ve let that happen before. But as far as what I think of this defense, I don’t think about anything compared to last year. ... We know what caliber of team we just played.”

The Texans may not face another offense as good all season. If they don’t, and they keep climbing the ladder Schaub talked about, this one may qualify as a blip.

In case it’s more than that, they have much work to do to make sure a two-score lead in the fourth quarter will stand up.

As for the potential of any doubt creeping in …

Center Chris Myers said the team’s veterans won’t allow for it.

“The veterans and leaders on this team have to be able to pick those younger guys up and have them understand we’ve got to move on to next week,” he said. “We’ll make some corrections tomorrow, but we’re onto Pittsburgh now.

“It stinks. It’s going to sting. But you’ve got to be able to go out there next week and play like we want to beat them, which we do.”

i think that in the bold about Sums it up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2011   #2
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29606 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans make Saints appear Unstoppable !

Unstoppable my ass. The Saints are beatable. That's why so many people were so upset that we lost. We had this.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I can't wait for the rematch in INdy
Old 09-25-2011   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I can't wait for the rematch in INdy
yeah it will be good, hopefully they still have fans in the stands for it though.
Old 09-26-2011   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
yeah it will be good, hopefully they still have fans in the stands for it though.
Haha. On a totally and completely unrelated topic, anyone know where they play the Super Bowl this year?
Old 09-26-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

They've run up and down the field on all three teams they've played this season, and have been doing that for most of the last 4 or 5 years. We stood toe to toe with a very good team and were in it til the end. No shame in this loss. IMO, Sproles was the wild card that really ignited the Saints offense and our lack of an effective running game was the wild card that hamstrung ( yeah, I know that's a touchy subject. All puns intended) our offense. FWIW, the Saints made the Texans appear unstoppable through three quarters. Chalk it up to homefield advantage and pisspoor RZ play.
BTW, did the Saints turn their A/C on when we were punting? How does our big leg punter average 37 yds with a long of 40 on two punts?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I meant the Saints vs Texans rematch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Haha. On a totally and completely unrelated topic, anyone know where they play the Super Bowl this year?

Lucas Oil Stadium.... in Indy

Last edited by thunderkyss; 09-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2011   #8
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Unstoppable my ass. The Saints are beatable. That's why so many people were so upset that we lost. We had this.
Bingo. I wonder why telling the truth is such a "negative" thing to do?
Old 09-26-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Bingo. I wonder why telling the truth is such a "negative" thing to do?
I get that. I agree.

The problem I have, and many others here, is that some of us here are already writing off the Texans after one bad qtr.
Old 09-26-2011   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We got beat by a very good team on the road. It happens. I won't bat an eye at this if we win next week against Pittsburgh at home. All this loss proves is that we are not unstoppable ourselves... We are good, but not unstoppable, as if that surprises anybody.

One thing I will say is that I thought I saw Schaub choke when the pressure was really on. He was trying to stay humble and serious, not get too excited (or especially conceited, not that he ever has been), etc. this whole game, but he got the fighting-against-fate-instead-of-the-other-team choking thing going on in the 4th qtr. I didn't like seeing that. He seems to have an attitude that thrives on a certain amount of pressure (making him good), but that chokes when the pressure really gets heavy. Of course it's just one game. All I'm saying is that, in this one game, he looked like a good QB that will never take anybody to a SB... Maybe he just needs more experience at big games...

The D, especially Mario, wasn't able to consistently get the pressure I had hoped on Brees, but that could be for a lot of reasons. Mostly I want to see Schaub feel confident in beating the other team, not trying to win against some imaginary, negative fate... Don't give the other team TOO MUCH credit in your mind.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I meant the Saints vs Texans rematch

Lucas Oil Stadium.... in Indy
Yeah, I know.... Hence the over the top question and the reason I found humor in Ellisunit's post.
Old 09-26-2011   #12
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get that. I agree.

The problem I have, and many others here, is that some of us here are already writing off the Texans after one bad qtr.
Speaking on MY statements, to "write them off" is to predict the future.
I am not predicting what WILL happen, I'm simply stating a consistent
pattern-of-action and am hopeful it will be broken (i.e.: my signature)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read