Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2011   #1
Gotta Know
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Gotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respectedGotta Know is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hard to get pressure with a two count release

I just got done reviewing every down of the second half.

Brees got the ball out quickly. In fact, only two throws weren't out by a three count.

The Texans D-Line put pressure on Brees but it's almost impossible to get sacks when the offense is playing pitch and catch on quick hitting routes.

Giving a ten yard cushion and running five yards off the receiver while in man coverage is what allowed Brees to win this game. No coverage on his primary read means no need for check downs hence quick throws and no sacks taken.
Gotta Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hard to get pressure with a two count release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Know View Post

Brees got the ball out quickly. In fact, only two throws weren't out by a three count.

The Texans D-Line put pressure on Brees but it's almost impossible to get sacks when the offense is playing pitch and catch on quick hitting routes.

Giving a ten yard cushion and running five yards off the receiver while in man coverage is what allowed Brees to win this game.
nice first post and i agree. Our CBs should of been playing bump and run coverage, but they were so far off the WRs the whole 2nd half that those short passes are there and eventually they get down the field and good teams like that score.
Old 09-26-2011   #3
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Had the red zone O been $$$$$$$$$$ Sunday, the cushion would have been warranted.
Old 09-26-2011   #4
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Red zone smed zone, the D cost us that game. Poor adjusting by Phillips. They let Brees get into a rhythm and did nothing to disrupt it. THey just kept sending guys after him even though he was getting rid of the ball so fast they had no chance of getting to him. In that situation you tell the front seven to maintain the pocket and time the passes and get their hands up. Make the short QB have to find lanes to throw the ball through.
Old 09-26-2011   #5
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Two 3 and outs, one ending in an interception in the 4th didn't help.
Old 09-26-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Red zone smed zone, the D cost us that game. Poor adjusting by Phillips. They let Brees get into a rhythm and did nothing to disrupt it. THey just kept sending guys after him even though he was getting rid of the ball so fast they had no chance of getting to him. In that situation you tell the front seven to maintain the pocket and time the passes and get their hands up. Make the short QB have to find lanes to throw the ball through.
The defense could have played better no doubt

But there were failings on both sides of the ball. The defense did get two picks on a guy that hadn't thrown one in the first two games.

The offense got super lucky on the kw miracle catch. That was almost another int by shammy.

Defense should have made some stops at the end. That would have helped. But if offense just scores td's on half if those redzone attempts it changes the complexion of the game and it limits what NO can do offensively.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
The defense could have played better no doubt

But there were failings on both sides of the ball. The defense did get two picks on a guy that hadn't thrown one in the first two games.

The offense got super lucky on the kw miracle catch. That was almost another int by shammy.

Defense should have made some stops at the end. That would have helped. But if offense just scores td's on half if those redzone attempts it changes the complexion of the game and it limits what NO can do offensively.

Yea we should of scored TD's instead of field goals but we still scored 33 points. That should be enough to win. The defense gave up 17 points in a little over 2 minutes and made no adjustments in the 4th quarter to disrupt Brees's timing.

The defense got exposed at the end no matter who is to blame for the loss. Let's just hope Phillips can make the proper adjustments necessary to keep teams in the future from doing the same. he sure didn't make them against the saints.
Old 09-26-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
nice first post and i agree. Our CBs should of been playing bump and run coverage, but they were so far off the WRs the whole 2nd half that those short passes are there and eventually they get down the field and good teams like that score.
KJ cannot play NFL bump and run. He mistimes his bump and is often pushed off balance or just out maneuvered by a vet. He should play off the WR and continue to work on his skills in practice with coaches. The problem is even with a cushion, he is allowing the receiver to get past him. I wonder if his trash talking is throwing off his focus.
Old 09-26-2011   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
brees is too good for that & in the end, you'd be playing right into sean peyton's hands by doing that. the reason they went to the quick hitters in the 1st place was to nuetralize wade's blitzing. you stop doing that as an adjustment to the quick hitting plays then its highly likely u dont get enough pressure just rushing 3, 4 and he really gets to camp in the pocket, get comfy & things open up further down the field.

i likr what wade did, keep the heat on, make those guys move the ball down the field on 8-12 play drives that eat clock, & let your guys make plays for you or hope that someone makes a mistake on offense for them. worked for the 1st 3 quarters, not so much in the 4th, & our offense just couldn't stem the tide enough.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #10
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
brees is too good for that & in the end, you'd be playing right into sean peyton's hands by doing that. the reason they went to the quick hitters in the 1st place was to nuetralize wade's blitzing. you stop doing that as an adjustment to the quick hitting plays then its highly likely u dont get enough pressure just rushing 3, 4 and he really gets to camp in the pocket, get comfy & things open up further down the field.

i likr what wade did, keep the heat on, make those guys move the ball down the field on 8-12 play drives that eat clock, & let your guys make plays for you or hope that someone makes a mistake on offense for them. worked for the 1st 3 quarters, not so much in the 4th, & the offense just couldn't stem the tide enough.
The saints have been lighting everyone up including the superbowl champions, we haven't been the only victim of their offense.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
The saints have been lighting everyone up including the superbowl champions, we haven't been the only victim of their offense.
hey, im right there with you, its just hard to get others in here to understand that amidst the fallout in here. they're extremely explosive & in my opinion, there's no shame in getting torched by an offense of this caliber......they've done it to everyone this year & for the last 5 years. there's only other team in the nfl that's capable of doing that & thats the packers.
Old 09-26-2011   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, quick throws means a clean QB. Problem is once NOLA figured that out, there were no more adjustments to be seen. Bump and run? Jump a route since you know it's coming? Nope. They also let KJ get fried to a crispy crackledy crunch and didn't seem to be bothered enough to take him out. I'm sitting here thinking, if I was coach, would I even be wondering whether or not to keep him? Because I certanly wouldn't be playing him and I might not even let him sit on the bench. The bench is for people who need a rest, aka everyone that has seen this guy play.

NO defensive adjustments. NONE.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Yeah, quick throws means a clean QB. Problem is once NOLA figured that out, there were no more adjustments to be seen. Bump and run? Jump a route since you know it's coming? Nope. They also let KJ get fried to a crispy crackledy crunch and didn't seem to be bothered enough to take him out. I'm sitting here thinking, if I was coach, would I even be wondering whether or not to keep him? Because I certanly wouldn't be playing him and I might not even let him sit on the bench. The bench is for people who need a rest, aka everyone that has seen this guy play.

that offense has too much speed, that we just couldn't match up with. what adjustments could've been made? bump & run? do u really want cush out there trying to jam sproles at the LOS? KJ/mccain/harris trying to bump moore/meachem? Quinn/ Cush trying to jam graham? no thank you. the only thing that would've led too is quicker scoring drives for nola.
Old 09-26-2011   #14
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 31109 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

sigh.. another KJ attack wow.. imagine that. KJ wasn't the only one having issues yesterday JJo got smoked on a TD, and two of the exact same out routes on the goal line for 4 points that looked like pitch and catch, both times he was completely out of the play.

Old 09-26-2011   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
KJ cannot play NFL bump and run. He mistimes his bump and is often pushed off balance or just out maneuvered by a vet. He should play off the WR and continue to work on his skills in practice with coaches. The problem is even with a cushion, he is allowing the receiver to get past him. I wonder if his trash talking is throwing off his focus.
He's showed improvement though. He's gone from bump and fall down to bump and move slowly.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
actually he is plenty physical to play bump, but he doesn't have enough quickness or speed. Once a guy gets a step on him he's done. Playing off is a problem too. Last night he was the teams leading tackler, but as you noticed, he gave up a bunch of easy throws right in front of him. It ain't trash talking, it ain't coaching. It's a lack of long speed, and quickness. His attitude and his toughness aren't enough.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Know View Post

Giving a ten yard cushion and running five yards off the receiver while in man coverage is what allowed Brees to win this game. No coverage on his primary read means no need for check downs hence quick throws and no sacks taken.
Gotta be able to cover for more than a 3 count honestly. Of course it was a lot of middle passes that were basically left wide open (Which is something that has been said about the Phillips defense before) every time Brian Cushing rushed, there was an open whomever in the middle about 8 - 12 yards downfield.
Old 09-26-2011   #18
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Gotta be able to cover for more than a 3 count honestly. Of course it was a lot of middle passes that were basically left wide open (Which is something that has been said about the Phillips defense before) every time Brian Cushing rushed, there was an open whomever in the middle about 8 - 12 yards downfield.
that's cause we went to a nickel package a lot, which means you are going to give up the underneath throws and brian cushing was attempting to cover sproles out of the backfield.

Old 09-26-2011   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
that's cause we went to a nickel package a lot, which means you are going to give up the underneath throws and brian cushing was attempting to cover sproles out of the backfield.
After yesterday I expect to see a lot of offensive gameplans vs the Texans revolve around quick drops and short passes over the middle. It honestly just looks like a hole in the defense that anybody can exploit really.

Be interesting to see if we can generate some more pressure vs Pittsburgh's deteriorated offensive line.
Old 09-26-2011   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

i likr what wade did, keep the heat on, make those guys move the ball down the field on 8-12 play drives that eat clock, & let your guys make plays for you or hope that someone makes a mistake on offense for them. worked for the 1st 3 quarters, not so much in the 4th, & our offense just couldn't stem the tide enough.
Brees is barely six foot tall and has had problems with balls getting batted down in the past. He was ripping our defense apart with quick strikes and we weren't getting anywhere near him in the fourth quarter and you're strategy is to just keep doing what we were doing and hope one of their guys makes a mistake? Seriously?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read