Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2011   #1
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade's D

OK so we got gashed up and down the field in the 2nd half of that game, it really wasn't pretty but...

I think many of us had the sense from the first two games that this D looked better than perhaps it was. The way we've had the ball run on us was a concern and the way we weren't able to stop screens for instance.

I think we have seen today that that incling was probably correct, we came up against our first power O and having taken some time to figure us out, late in the game they were able to exploit us.

I think in reality this is down to 2 things, Wade hasn't had enough time to get this D to 100% yet, the positive of that is that there is improvement to come, this season.

Also, I think the depth isn't what you'd ideally want. Apart from Watt, it appears that the rookies losing a full pre-season has hurt their early development and that is costing us. This is something that can will only improve as well as they get better week on week in practice and hopefully will be more capable come mid-season.

I'd also say we're still a draft away (aren't we always!?) from being where we'd want, especially on the depth side of things, I think they need someone better than Nolan as the backup safety (Nolan has the big play ability, which is ok, but it only takes him so far, look at his angle's, they're horrible). I think they need KJ to get better still, although I'm not throwing him under the bus for getting beaten by the best QB he'll face this year.

I also think they are a ways away from having the depth they need on the D-line, seeing Watt gasping in the 4th quarter attests to that.

Frankly, I think we have every chance of getting in the playoffs this season without ever beating a good team, the schedule is one of the easier in my memory, so I'm not too worried about any of these.

I think they got found out as a transitional defense today. We shouldn't be too surprised or upset by that. I think thats down to Brees and one of the more explosive O's in the league. I don't see Big Ben causing us as much of a problem next week, although it will be another tough game.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade's D

I like the scheme and they played well today in spurts. But Wade could call the best defensive game of all time and it won't change the fact that Kareem Jackson is just bad.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade's D is just what I thought it was. He is saddled with some players that he cannot replace yet but this D will continue to improve. KJ might face a good QB against Steelers also.
Old 09-25-2011   #4
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Depth is a problem, especially when your defense is on the field for too much of the second half. Any defense, no matter how well coached, will start faltering if it spends most of the second half on the field and there isn't enough depth to keep quality players in the game and resting on the sidelines.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't get me wrong, this thread isn't having a go at Wade's D, its simply pointing out that I, and I think plenty of others, realised that this day was likely to come sooner or later.

A shortened off season and lots of 4-3 personnel, it wasn't going to happen overnight and lo and behold it hasn't.

I actually think Wade has done a fantastic job to get them looking respectable, and also that I think the team can make the playoffs without beating a really good team this season looking at our schedule.

Therefore my conclusion is that it isn't time for the knee-jerking thats beeing seen on this board. Transitional team loses in close battle with Championship contenders. Not a massive headline, even if it did look a little ugly late in the game.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sacks and TOs.

I'll take it.

Somedays you just get beat by a better team.
Old 09-25-2011   #7
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25247 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to say we need much better nose tackle play.

We get gashed up the middle a lot and even when the QB steps up the nose is never there to apply any pressure. If he had been a lot of those times where Brees danced in the pocket would have resulted in a positive play.

But other than that I am very satisfied. I think the defense is average, not good but average. Which should bring out a good season for the Texans with their offense.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2011   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I just want to say we need much better nose tackle play.

We get gashed up the middle a lot and even when the QB steps up the nose is never there to apply any pressure. If he had been a lot of those times where Brees danced in the pocket would have resulted in a positive play.

But other than that I am very satisfied. I think the defense is average, not good but average. Which should bring out a good season for the Texans with their offense.
just wanna say a better qb and who cares about the D
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read