Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2011   #161
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Just Don't Beat Contending Teams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The 2011 Steelers are nothing like the 2010 Steelers.
And apparently the 2011 Texans are nothing like the 2010 Texans.

Some folks might take time to adjust.
Old 10-03-2011   #162
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
Beat the Raiders... lol. I hear you, but don't believe what I'm hearing.

After 4 weeks, the NFL is starting to take shape and what I've seen so far is the Texans have played 1 really good team and lost.

Bright side.. I don't see another opponent as challenging as what the Saints offered during the regular season.

Dex's sig will fall apart this season. That's all but a lock. Our next true caliber test will likely be in the post season. Other than that, we either lose an "any given sunday" team or beat ourselves along the way, but at the 1/4 point... This should be a 10-12 win team.

What I would like to see is along the way, the Texans learn to play on the edge. This was a term that was discussed in the GB game yesterday, where the coaching staff wanted the Packers to put a full 4 quarters of "playing on the edge" together.

Texans biggest vise at this point is learning to play with a lead.
I would simply argue the Baltimore game being the next test. The Texans are 1-18 against winning teams on the road in Kubiak's tenure here. Baltimore won't be an easy game to win on the road.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #163
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I would simply argue the Baltimore game being the next test. The Texans are 1-18 against winning teams on the road in Kubiak's tenure here. Baltimore won't be an easy game to win on the road.
I think so. I certainly haven't written that game off as a loss because I think the Texans can win it, but as long as this team shows up, plays hard and competitively for four quarters and doesn't beat itself with turnovers, dumb penalties or questionable play-calling, I won't feel too bad about leaving Baltimore without a victory. It just might make me even more optimistic about the rest of the season if they hang with the Ravens on the road even if they fall a little short.

(No, I'd never be happy with a loss. But a loss in *that* way at Baltimore would still leave me hopeful for the rest of the season, at least if they beat the Raiders along the way.)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #164
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
And apparently the 2011 Texans are nothing like the 2010 Texans.

Some folks might take time to adjust.
You're right, man.

I'm just not ready to get all giddy about the Texans yet as if I was a Packer fan.
Old 10-03-2011   #165
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think we are agreeing right?

Anyway, it will be up to our offense to get a lead & continue to build on it until they get completely away from the run game. I'm thinking 3 scores.

If we get a 17 point lead, they should start playing catch up.

If we can put together 10:55 drives, maybe sooner than that.
Eh kinda, I think the impressiveness of the win will be determined by how we get there. Shutting down the run-game of the Raiders, and winning 24-17 would be impressive to me, but a 38-35 shootout wouldn't be all that impressive to me. Kind of like the Saints game, where the team looked pretty good, but not great. Our offense should put up at least 28 points on the Raiders, but our D needs to keep their offense down, or force FGs. Oakland has 9 rushing TD's this year! That's a lot, and we need to see the Texans man up and play some tough run D in that game.
Old 10-03-2011   #166
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You're right, man.

I'm just not ready to get all giddy about the Texans yet as if I was a Packer fan.
Yeah. This time it *feels* different, like all the pieces are really coming into place this time, but we've been kicked in the gut too many times to let our guard down completely.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #167
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You're right, man.

I know, man. I'm one cynical mofo, so believing is not easy for me, either.

However, I do see a lot of positives with this year's team, and one of the big positives was the never quit attitude they showed yesterday. And that defense. Oh man, that defense looks hungry, and that's the kind of football that I live to watch!
Old 10-03-2011   #168
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think so. I certainly haven't written that game off as a loss because I think the Texans can win it, but as long as this team shows up, plays hard and competitively for four quarters and doesn't beat itself with turnovers, dumb penalties or questionable play-calling, I won't feel too bad about leaving Baltimore without a victory. It just might make me even more optimistic about the rest of the season if they hang with the Ravens on the road even if they fall a little short.

(No, I'd never be happy with a loss. But a loss in *that* way at Baltimore would still leave me hopeful for the rest of the season, at least if they beat the Raiders along the way.)
Agreed. I would still be extremely hopeful if they lost that game and were 4-2 after it. However, going into Baltimore and coming away with a win is the next big test this season.
Old 10-03-2011   #169
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 97853 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah. This time it *feels* different, like all the pieces are really coming into place this time, but we've been kicked in the gut too many times to let our guard down completely.
I like being 3-1 though.

And as good as the Ravens played yesterday I gotta remember the Tacks beat em.
Old 10-03-2011   #170
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I know, man. I'm one cynical mofo, so believing is not easy for me, either.

However, I do see a lot of positives with this year's team, and one of the big positives was the never quit attitude they showed yesterday. And that defense. Oh man, that defense looks hungry, and that's the kind of football that I live to watch!
Me too, I love great D, and have been waiting a long time for us to have one.
Old 10-03-2011   #171
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. I would still be extremely hopeful if they lost that game and were 4-2 after it. However, going into Baltimore and coming away with a win is the next big test this season.
Disagree. Beating the Raiders who we have owned like nobody else other than the Dolphins for some reason and THEN going into Baltimore and coming away with a win..... That is the next big test.

3 in a row. Something (anything) that we can call a win streak. It's time to pull away from .500ish football and start winning regularly. It's time to start beating the good teams as well as the bad teams.
Old 10-03-2011   #172
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
1-19 after the Saints loss.

Just saying.
Old 10-03-2011   #173
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have never been 3 games over .500.
Regarding the Tacks, you gotta consider the fact
they won the division a handful of years ago with
Kerry Collins at QB.

I'd dare say that Hasselbeck provides their best QB play since
McNair. Don't get The Tacks and Jags confused, though BOTH
have owned the Texans dang near every season. The Texans
have to actually PROVE they are worth winning the AFC South.
Old 10-03-2011   #174
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Disagree. Beating the Raiders who we have owned like nobody else other than the Dolphins for some reason and THEN going into Baltimore and coming away with a win..... That is the next big test.

3 in a row. Something (anything) that we can call a win streak. It's time to pull away from .500ish football and start winning regularly. It's time to start beating the good teams as well as the bad teams.
I'm not overlooking the Raiders game at all but it is a game against a team Houston has beaten regularly in the past & it's at home. I expect a win here. Baltimore on the road will be a lot more challenging in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2011   #175
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if by week 12 we clinch a playoff berth and first round bye then im pretty sure we are resting starters for quarters at a time or even games with all the injuries that might happen this year due to no off season its who ever survives to wk16 is going to be the winner

so that game im sensing now is it does matter who u play the first team to clinch the divison wins da game after that shut it down
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #176
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
I'd dare say that Hasselbeck provides their best QB play since
McNair. Don't get The Tacks and Jags confused, though BOTH
have owned the Texans dang near every season. The Texans
have to actually PROVE they are worth winning the AFC South.
Not to mention that the week 1 loss was probably due to Hasselbeck not getting enough snaps with the team. He and his receivers and o line will get more of a rhythm as the season wears on. Losing Britt will certainly help us, but we haven't won the division by default as a lot of people have been saying.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #177
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The Raiders are a tough team.

They have a great running attack. But they also are giving up over 400 yards per game on defense.

We should beat them and be 4-1 for the first time in our existence and 3 games over 500 for the first time in our existence.

But that game is not a gimme.

I'm not going to look past this game, yet.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #178
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maybe.. but I'm not sold on the Ravens this year. They are a very lopsided team that has relied HEAVILY on defense and Turnovers this year, and fortunately for them have a winning record, because their Offense is not sharp at all. Look at who they have played to date...

wk1 - PIT - Ravens win convincingly thanks to 7 turnovers. It's becoming apparent that Pittsburgh is not the measuring stick of a solid win this year.
wk2 - TEN - Got whipped by Hasselbeck
wk3 - STL - Ho hum...
wk4 - NYJ - Jets can't even hike the ball.

Looking above, realistically, I see 3 teams that are struggling on the OL big time. The one team that you can't say that about, the Ravens got whipped.

Flacco is very inconsistent from one game to the next so far. Our D should pressure him into mistakes. I've seen nothing from him to suggest he's the 2nd coming of Brees.

I don't think the Ravens can dominate our OL. They ARE a "tough" team, and playing them at home... definitely a test, but not at the level of the Saints. This game is very winnable. Challenge Flacco, run the ball and don't turn the ball over... All things we can and should do, to walk away with a W.
Old 10-04-2011   #179
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This line is one I'd like to dissect separately.
It's a very misleading statistic. Sure it's a very lopsided one, that makes short work out of most argument, however, it's excluding a simple fact... THIS Texans team is 3-1 overall and 1-1 on road. Comparing this team to the two seasons past is weak.

I get it.. in the past we sucked!! no argument there. For those on here who can't recognize our LONG awaited transition from SUCK to ROCK....

I feel sorry for you.

THIS is the time you've been waiting for... JUMP ON!
Old 10-04-2011   #180
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
1-19 after the Saints loss.

Just saying.
Saints haven't clinched a winning record yet.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read