Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-26-2011   #141
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Just Don't Beat Contending Teams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
FOURTH QUARTER
Key stat: The Saints entered the final quarter with a total of 17 points, yet they scored 23 in the last 15 minutes of regulation.
Key player: Have to give credit where it's due - Drew Brees was masterful late, throwing for 163 of his 370 yards and two touchdowns in the last quarter.
not sure if this was posted in another thread or not, but re: Brees's play in that fourth quarter, on the final drive, Payton said that Brees made all of the playcalls on that drive.

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp

Quote:
jeffduncantp Jeff Duncan
Sean Payton said Drew Brees called all of the plays at the line of scrimmage during the fourth quarter when the club went to the hurry-up O.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011   #142
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexmanc View Post
who are fighting for playoff berths, and are not resting starters.

This is the very reason this team has never been 3-0, nor have
they ever been 3 games over .500.

We just watched the frickin' bills beat a contending team to go
3-0 for the first time in forever. The frickin lions just went 3-0.
Sheeeeeeesssshhhhh!!!

I started this season in a wait-and-see mode with this squad, because
we all know kubiak should've been fired three seasons ago!

Go ahead. Enjoy every stat except a win.
cut my life into pieces
this is my last resort
Old 10-03-2011   #143
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 324 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

Bump. Fun to read these after we win against a good team. Cmon Dexman, after all the bashing on Kubes you have done(deservingly so at times). Give him some credit for his 3rd quarter rallying session.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #144
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansForTheW View Post
Bump. Fun to read these after we win against a good team. Cmon Dexman, after all the bashing on Kubes you have done(deservingly so at times). Give him some credit for his 3rd quarter rallying session.
Agreed. I really hope this was a "statement" game for the team. As I said after the Saints game, I was hoping that the loss was more a reflection on the quality of the opponent than on the "same old Kubiak team" idea. I was skeptical, but *a bit* less so now.

I don't think I've ever seen a Texans defense pin its ears down and be so dominant in a close 4th quarter game situation. I don't remember ever seeing a Kubiak team playing with this intensity down the stretch, making big play after another in the clutch. It was wonderful to see and, I hope, a sign of things to come.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #145
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
cut my life into pieces
this is my last resort
cause i'm losing my sight, losing my mind
wish somebody would tell me i'm fine.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #146
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

There is so much sunshine and rainbows around here I keep thinking I'm logged into the main board.

I'm waiting for the "my little pony" avatar to show up.
Old 10-03-2011   #147
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

It took six years for this coach to get a win in the context I described at the beginning,
of this thread. The must be more. My main gripe with Kubiak has always been the lack
of results. Hopefully Sunday was he beginning of a new era, and not a fluke. I'll continue to update my sig through the end of the 12th game.

Keep in mind we started 4-2 last year, and pardon me if I continue to tap the pack
of Kool-Aid against my hand, and am slow to open it just yet.
Old 10-03-2011   #148
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, the Steelers don't look like contenders this year. Beat the Ravens or Raiders and I'll be impressed.
Old 10-03-2011   #149
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 13154 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Honestly, the Steelers don't look like contenders this year. Beat the Ravens or Raiders and I'll be impressed.
Yeah, I have to agree with this.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #150
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
It took six years for this coach to get a win in the context I described at the beginning,
of this thread. The must be more. My main gripe with Kubiak has always been the lack
of results. Hopefully Sunday was he beginning of a new era, and not a fluke. I'll continue to update my sig through the end of the 12th game.

Keep in mind we started 4-2 last year, and pardon me if I continue to tap the pack
of Kool-Aid against my hand, and am slow to open it just yet.
Right now, it's hard to call the Steelers a contending team. We're really in wait & see mode to see what these Steelers do.

Don't they have a history of slumping after a Super Bowl appearance?

Quote:
Beat me to it
Old 10-03-2011   #151
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Beat the Raiders... lol. I hear you, but don't believe what I'm hearing.

After 4 weeks, the NFL is starting to take shape and what I've seen so far is the Texans have played 1 really good team and lost.

Bright side.. I don't see another opponent as challenging as what the Saints offered during the regular season.

Dex's sig will fall apart this season. That's all but a lock. Our next true caliber test will likely be in the post season. Other than that, we either lose an "any given sunday" team or beat ourselves along the way, but at the 1/4 point... This should be a 10-12 win team.

What I would like to see is along the way, the Texans learn to play on the edge. This was a term that was discussed in the GB game yesterday, where the coaching staff wanted the Packers to put a full 4 quarters of "playing on the edge" together.

Texans biggest vise at this point is learning to play with a lead.
Old 10-03-2011   #152
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Steelers are 2 and 2 and clearly on their way down.

Sorry, folks, yesterday's game is still not clear evidence that the Texans are for real. In fact, the Steelers should have been beaten in a blowout and weren't....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #153
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was impressed with the defense and winning what was a flag filled, injury filled tough game.

But I agree, Raiders not so much, but Ravens, especially after I saw them last night....THAT would be some shit to beat them!!!

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #154
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Steelers are still the defending AFC Conference Champions. They are a quality organization and it was a solid win yesterday.

Last week a lot was said about beating the Steelers. Why have they been downgraded now? Because the Texans beat them?
Old 10-03-2011   #155
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The Steelers are still the defending AFC Conference Champions. They are a quality organization and it was a solid win yesterday.

Last week a lot was said about beating the Steelers. Why have they been downgraded now? Because the Texans beat them?
Yes.... But then again, it was our "Super Bowl"
Old 10-03-2011   #156
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The Steelers are 2 and 2 and clearly on their way down.

Sorry, folks, yesterday's game is still not clear evidence that the Texans are for real. In fact, the Steelers should have been beaten in a blowout and weren't....
The team is playing better than last year, but so far we are following the same pattern.

Win.... win... lose..... win...

Week 5 was an inexcusable loss at home where the Koolaide truck was turned over before it made it to Kirby.

The Giants weren't playing unusually well, they started the year 2-2 by the time they came into Houston already losing to two AFCS teams (Indy & Tacks).

They exploited weaknesses on both sides of the ball & wrote the blue-print for whup'n our ass that we saw for the rest of the year.

The Raiders are bringing the #1 rushing team into Houston... We have issues stopping the run.

IMO, this is going to be about our offense. Their D is nothing.. we should be able to get an early lead, a big one, take the running game out of the picture & pin our ears back.

If you're not starting the Houston Texans defense in your fantasy league, you're making a big, big mistake.
Old 10-03-2011   #157
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The team is playing better than last year, but so far we are following the same pattern.

Win.... win... lose..... win...

Week 5 was an inexcusable loss at home where the Koolaide truck was turned over before it made it to Kirby.

The Giants weren't playing unusually well, they started the year 2-2 by the time they came into Houston already losing to two AFCS teams (Indy & Tacks).

They exploited weaknesses on both sides of the ball & wrote the blue-print for whup'n our ass that we saw for the rest of the year.

The Raiders are bringing the #1 rushing team into Houston... We have issues stopping the run.

IMO, this is going to be about our offense. Their D is nothing.. we should be able to get an early lead, a big one, take the running game out of the picture & pin our ears back.

If you're not starting the Houston Texans defense in your fantasy league, you're making a big, big mistake.
Rashard Mendenhall is no Run DMC. I think people are underestimating the Raiders this year because the ghost of Al Davis still haunts that team. They have a great run-game, but a poor defense, a lot like the Texans of 2010. They could be quite formidable this year, and given our mediocre run-d so far, beating them actually seems like a quality win to me.
Old 10-03-2011   #158
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:

The 2011 Steelers are nothing like the 2010 Steelers. Mendenhall can't get the run game going behind a dysfunctional o-line and Big Ben's getting slapped around like a drunk chick in a bathroom. Sure, in the preseason everyone thought they would be a top 4 team in the AFC, but now it looks like the Browns or Bengals will get a wild card spot over them. The Ravens are clearly the best team in the AFC North so far.
Old 10-03-2011   #159
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head DB It was great to be in the stadium yesterday to witness this game. Without the refs constant interference, this game was easily controlled by the Texans. The opponent was last years AFC representative in the Super Bowl, the arguments to that fact show a clear bias. Sorry guys... the rainbow loving, kool-aid drinkers are here to stay. Put a smile on your face, and get used to our new found success... I'm buying into the positive vibes
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #160
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Rashard Mendenhall is no Run DMC. I think people are underestimating the Raiders this year because the ghost of Al Davis still haunts that team. They have a great run-game, but a poor defense, a lot like the Texans of 2010. They could be quite formidable this year, and given our mediocre run-d so far, beating them actually seems like a quality win to me.
I think we are agreeing right?

Anyway, it will be up to our offense to get a lead & continue to build on it until they get completely away from the run game. I'm thinking 3 scores.

If we get a 17 point lead, they should start playing catch up.

If we can put together 10:55 drives, maybe sooner than that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read