Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2011   #61
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Just Don't Beat Contending Teams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
lol. what is the diff feel between a loss and loss?
ok maybe its just me but i feel better about us losing 40-33 then i would of if we had lost 40-3. Call it moral victory our whatever you must, but this game shows us that we can hang with the best of the best in their own house.
Old 09-25-2011   #62
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10578 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
ok maybe its just me but i feel better about us losing 40-33 then i would of if we had lost 40-3. Call it moral victory our whatever you must, but this game shows us that we can hang with the best of the best in their own house.
I agree with this in one sense, but in another sense, a 40-3 beat down isn't gut-wrenching -- it's just embarrassing.

A 40-33 loss against a great team with an elite QB on the road is not an embarrassment. This is a good Texans team which I still think will finally take the division title this year. But to get much beyond 9-7 you have to demonstrate -- whether against the Saints or the currently God-awful Chiefs -- that you can finish strong. Yes, this time it's different because it was a great team on the road, not some mediocrity, but the pattern was the same. And that, IMO, is coaching -- not the talent level.

It's always easier for me to take losses where "my team" was clearly beaten. But when it feels like you beat yourselves and lose games you could -- and even *should* -- have won, that's where a lot of the angst comes in.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #63
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
So leave. If you are tired of seeing the same thing, get out of here. Go be a bandwagon supporter for whoever is the Superbowl champion at the time. That way you can always see the best of football all of the time.

Coming in here and only posting with negative results or on negative topics is what is BS. If you are gonna be a fan, then at least realize the difference between a beatdown to the winless Cowboys and losing to a a perennial Superbowl contender on the road.

If you can't/won't do that, then we have nothing further to discuss.
Texans were also at home and took that beating.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #64
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I agree with this in one sense, but in another sense, a 40-3 beat down isn't gut-wrenching -- it's just embarrassing.

A 40-33 loss against a great team with an elite QB on the road is not an embarrassment. This is a good Texans team which I still think will finally take the division title this year. But to get much beyond 9-7 you have to demonstrate -- whether against the Saints or the currently God-awful Chiefs -- that you can finish strong. Yes, this time it's different because it was a great team on the road, not some mediocrity, but the pattern was the same. And that, IMO, is coaching -- not the talent level.
See I don't think the pattern was the same. I think the Saints just came up with the one extra play to win the game. It was really that close of a game.

Also I agree that the Texans have to go out and beat these teams like the Saints...but they have only played the Saints yet so it's impossible to judge if this will be a recurring pattern throughout the year.
Old 09-25-2011   #65
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's always easier for me to take losses where "my team" was clearly beaten. But when it feels like you beat yourselves and lose games you could -- and even *should* -- have won, that's where a lot of the angst comes in.
YES these close ones hurt more than blow out losses. but thats just cause you know victory was in ur reach and u were Sooooooo close. As fans we put a lot of emotion into games and sometimes our emotions blind us from the big picture.
Old 09-25-2011   #66
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6350 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

DexmanC, just stop following the team. Seriously. You would be happier, we would be happier. You sound miserable. Go hang out with your family.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #67
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10578 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
YES these close ones hurt more than blow out losses. but thats just cause you know victory was in ur reach and u were Sooooooo close. As fans we put a lot of emotion into games and sometimes our emotions blind us from the big picture.
Well, the big picture is that I think the Texans are a good team, but not an elite team or a serious Super Bowl contender. In part I think that's because elite teams and Super Bowl contenders tend to win the second half in general and the fourth quarter in particular -- something the Texans have never demonstrated. Maybe this isn't a recurrence of an old pattern -- maybe it's just that the Saints in general and Brees in particular are just that good -- but it's hard for it to not *feel* like the "same old script" even if it's a clear upgrade from years past.

So it's not like I'm really down on this team or disgusted with it. If you told me at the start of the season if I'd feel decent about a 2-1 record after three games, yes I would. But I would feel a lot better about this team if I started seeing a little more finishing of what it starts. This is a good team, but it still needs to learn how to finish.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2011   #68
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
See I don't think the pattern was the same. I think the Saints just came up with the one extra play to win the game. It was really that close of a game.

Also I agree that the Texans have to go out and beat these teams like the Saints...but they have only played the Saints yet so it's impossible to judge if this will be a recurring pattern throughout the year.
What about the recurring pattern throughout the history of the franchise?

The Texans had an opportunity to shut up the haters and critics. Kubiak, Schaub, coaching staff have all taken heat over the years.

Today, once again they had the beast wounded and bleeding. Once again they failed to finish the beast off. They deserve the criticism. They can't seem to get over the hump. A loss is a loss.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #69
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
What about the recurring pattern throughout the history of the franchise?

The Texans had an opportunity to shut up the haters and critics. Kubiak, Schaub, coaching staff have all taken heat over the years.

Today, once again they had the beast wounded and bleeding. Once again they failed to finish the beast off. They deserve the criticism. They can't seem to get over the hump. A loss is a loss.
I don't put too much stock into stuff like that when the team has a bevy of new players and a entire new coaching staff on one side of the ball.
Old 09-25-2011   #70
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
So leave. If you are tired of seeing the same thing, get out of here. Go be a bandwagon supporter for whoever is the Superbowl champion at the time. That way you can always see the best of football all of the time.

Coming in here and only posting with negative results or on negative topics is what is BS. If you are gonna be a fan, then at least realize the difference between a beatdown to the winless Cowboys and losing to a a perennial Superbowl contender on the road.

If you can't/won't do that, then we have nothing further to discuss.
Heh. I'm the negative one? You're telling me to leave for voicing my honest
opinion. So much for free speech, eh?

lol
Old 09-25-2011   #71
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
DexmanC, just stop following the team. Seriously. You would be happier, we would be happier. You sound miserable. Go hang out with your family.
Looks like me telling the truth strikes too much of a nerve, and is too
much for ya.
Old 09-25-2011   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
TK will tell you about our arguments from years before. He'd
tell me how much BETTER this 8-8 is than LAST YEAR'S
8-8.

Same 'ol shit, bruh.
How about a little wager.

I bet we'll win 6 games in the first 9....

Should be pretty safe bet for you, with 3 games in the books already.

You name the wager, I'm in for whatever.

Steelers
Oakland
Baltimore
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cleveland

Whatcha wanna do?
Old 09-25-2011   #73
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Bingo. I stated in a thread earlier, that Kubiak is the biggest x-factor
on this team. Kubiak was greatly responsible for the Saints putting
23 points on the board in the fourth quarter, because he thought
he could shoot it out with the Saints, 9-point lead be damned.

The man didn't play to win the game, he played to win a shootout.
This got the team beat. This team will either win because Kubiak
has evolved as a coach (which he has not yet shown,) win in SPITE
of Kubiak's decisions, or toil in the stagnation that is the head coaching
career of Gary Kubiak.
Old 09-25-2011   #74
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The big picture is that we are a pretty decent team.

But we are not a great team, not by a long shot.
Old 09-25-2011   #75
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Steelers
Oakland
Baltimore
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cleveland

Whatcha wanna do?
That quote you posted was taken out of context. It was not predicting
the 2011 squad to end up 8-8. It was a display of how our discussions
regarding this team has not changed in 3 seasons.

I WANT to be able to talk about different shit with this team, they just
have not presented the opportunity.
Old 09-25-2011   #76
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Steelers
Oakland
Baltimore
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cleveland

Whatcha wanna do?
anyone betting on a playoff win, all bets off for regular season wins without peyton, no pressure without him. six games in the first nine without a sense of urgency due to our division sucking is no bet. every analyst handed us the division when peyton went down. hell 12 wins is the bar right?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #77
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Read again.

Kubiak should've been fired THREE SEASONS AGO.

It's Deja Vu all over. When this team goes 3 games over .500 (the only
way to do so is to beat at least ONE contending team,) then my tune
will change. This game is more-of-the-same, and so are my comments.
I'm sorry. Explain to me how our offense scored 33 pts on a team that's one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and it's on Kubiak when the DEFENSE gave up FORTY POINTS!

Where's the FIRE WADE PHILLIPS thread?? His defense gave up FORTY, count 'em FORTY points.
How does a genius defensive coordinator get burned by the same two-pt conversion play twice in a row? Yet, this loss is all Kubiak's fault...?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
lol. what is the diff feel between a loss and loss?
We were outclassed at home against Dallas last year. The freaking place (our house) was full of Cowboy fans & the players on the field didn't seem to take it personal or try to do anything about it.

We had no chance in that game.

This one slipped away. We had their number. We had them on the hook and we let them get away... They are who we thought they were & we let them get away.
Old 09-25-2011   #79
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm sorry. Explain to me how our offense scored 33 pts on a team that's one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and it's on Kubiak when the DEFENSE gave up FORTY POINTS!

Where's the FIRE WADE PHILLIPS thread?? His defense gave up FORTY, count 'em FORTY points.
How does a genius defensive coordinator get burned by the same two-pt conversion play twice in a row? Yet, this loss is all Kubiak's fault...?
Kubiak's pass-happy offensive strategy was a key factor in
the Saints having TIME to put up 23 points in the 4th quarter.

Wade Phillips is a co-ordinator, who plays under Head Coach
Gary Kubiak. When a sailor screws up on a ship, you talk to
the captain. Simple chain-of-command.
Old 09-25-2011   #80
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bingo. I stated in a thread earlier, that Kubiak is the biggest x-factor
on this team. Kubiak was greatly responsible for the Saints putting
23 points on the board in the fourth quarter, because he thought
he could shoot it out with the Saints, 9-point lead be damned.

The man didn't play to win the game, he played to win a shootout.
This got the team beat. This team will either win because Kubiak
has evolved as a coach (which he has not yet shown,) win in SPITE
of Kubiak's decisions, or toil in the stagnation that is the head coaching
career of Gary Kubiak.
So, again, Wade gets off Scott Free because you hate Kubiak. Wade's new and improved defense gave up 23 pts in the fourth qtr but, according to you, Wade bears absolutely NO responsibility.

Yeah, that's very objective of you
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read