Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Key Texan against Saints

Which player or coach will be biggest factor in a Texans win?
Old 09-23-2011   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Key Texan against Saints

I would say our QB Matt schaub
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Ben Tate. Just pounding the ball effectively and running the clock will help neutralize the Saints offense. The longer they're off the field the better.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

first real test for the secondary. Wade won't be able to flood the gaps and zone up the back end against the Saints high powered attack. It wouldn't shock me to see us give up some points, but it also wouldn't shock me to see us keep them under 20 since the defense looks so disciplined and active so far. Teams start breaking down film and exploiting holes as the defense accumulates snaps. The Saints have two good games to look at while the Dolphins and the Colts only really had old Cowboy film to watch. Manning overplays his coverage responsibility at times. Brees can exploit this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #5
TheGoldenGreek
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Phillips vs Drew Brees is the key IMO. It all depends on if Wade is able to disguise the blitzes well enough to pressure Brees and make him uncomfortable.
TheGoldenGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenGreek View Post
Wade Phillips vs Drew Brees is the key IMO. It all depends on if Wade is able to disguise the blitzes well enough to pressure Brees and make him uncomfortable.
I agree to a certain extent. This isn't exactly like chess where pieces are just moved into position. . .guys still have to make plays once they are put into position.

Personally, I think the biggest match up will be our entire defense vs drew brees and Darren sproles. Those are the two guys who can consistently change a game in the blink of and eye. Get pressure on brees, disguise your coverages and keep sproles from making big plays on screen and special teams and I think we win.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #7
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Comes down to our Pressure on Brees and our running game. Not sure if a single player is the key, but I'll go Mario.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2011   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the keys, IMO, is how well Schaub and Tate (if he plays nearly as much as last game) pick up the blitz.

I hope they don't get to Schaub early and caused him to be off him normal game.

I hope that Kubiak game-plan to account for the blitz early on so that our offense can establish a rythm, especially that the game will be played on their turf.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #9
HOUFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenGreek View Post
I have to agree, it comes down to our defense putting pressure and what Wade draws up for our defense. If we can pressure Brees and take the crowd out of the game early then I like our chances to get an early lead.
HOUFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #10
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

As others have said, its Wade. I would like to see his history vs the current Saints roster, with Brees etc.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I agree to a certain extent. This isn't exactly like chess where pieces are just moved into position. . .guys still have to make plays once they are put into position.

Personally, I think the biggest match up will be our entire defense vs drew brees and Darren sproles. Those are the two guys who can consistently change a game in the blink of and eye. Get pressure on brees, disguise your coverages and keep sproles from making big plays on screen and special teams and I think we win.
And have the DL sWATTing at balls if they aren't getting to the QB. Brees is short for a QB and maybe we can change his throwing lanes enough to mess his timing and accuracy up.
Old 09-23-2011   #12
SaintRusty
Rookie

Rep Power: 594 SaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respectedSaintRusty is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
And have the DL sWATTing at balls if they aren't getting to the QB. Brees is short for a QB and maybe we can change his throwing lanes enough to mess his timing and accuracy up.
He has had trouble with this in the past, although it hasn't really been a problem since 09. Not a bad idea though.
SaintRusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #13
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say its Jonathan Joseph....

OR

Mario Willams.

Either one effects the other....you know, that whole chicken or the egg arguement.
Old 09-23-2011   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The entire Oline.

I have little doubt the Saints are going to score points. We just need to score more and our Oline must keep Schaub somewhat clean and give Tate/Foster some seams.
Old 09-23-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRusty View Post
He has had trouble with this in the past, although it hasn't really been a problem since 09. Not a bad idea though.
I think that's why he tends to throw longer passes. It gives him a higher launch angle to compensate for his height. I'm looking for any advantage the Texans DL can get.
Old 09-23-2011   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't agree that it's Phillips vs Brees because I think Sean Payton plays just as big of a role with what the offense does, as Brees does.

And honestly, I think our offense getting points on what I consider an overrated Saints defense is key to me. I can't point to one player or coach (I guess Kubiak/Dennison), because I think the entire offense needs to play a really solid game to give us the best shot of winning. While our defense is good, I don't think we're going to be winning this game 10 - 7 or 16 - 13.
Old 09-23-2011   #17
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The entire Oline.

I have little doubt the Saints are going to score points. We just need to score more and our Oline must keep Schaub somewhat clean and give Tate/Foster some seams.
Yeah, lets hope Winston has a better game than he did vs Miami.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Yeah, lets hope Winston has a better game than he did vs Miami.
True, he definitely needs to. Wade Smith had a bit of a rough outing too. I thought Wade was awesome last season and expect him to rebound.
Old 09-23-2011   #19
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 323 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario will have a huge game. Just one of those feelings.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quick passes to whomever is playing TE.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read