Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Demeco Looks Very Unhealthy

Have you guys been watching him? I can't believe how ineffective he is right now. I would be concerned about his lack of quickness and lateral pursuit to the ball if I wasn't so focused on his inability to use his arm and make a tackle. Do you guys have any info on what his elbow injury was, exactly? And, what are your thought about his performance so far?

CND: What kind of elbow injury could have occurred over a month ago and still be braced up and as limited as it is? I'm thinking it must be something requiring surgery...

Here's video lowlights of Demeco's play vs. Miami that has me concerned.
Old 09-21-2011   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Demeco Looks Very Unhealthy

IIRC, he has bursitis in his elbow. It was discussed in another thread.

Quote:
Bursitis

Last reviewed: August 3, 2010.

Bursitis is inflammation of the fluid-filled sac (bursa) that lies between a tendon and skin, or between a tendon and bone. The condition may be acute or chronic.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Bursae are fluid-filled cavities near joints where tendons or muscles pass over bony projections. They assist movement and reduce friction between moving parts.

Bursitis can be caused by chronic overuse, trauma, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or infection. Sometimes the cause cannot be determined. Bursitis commonly occurs in the shoulder, knee, elbow, and hip. Other areas that may be affected include the Achilles tendon and the foot.

Chronic inflammation can occur with repeated injuries or attacks of bursitis.

Symptoms

You may notice:

Joint pain and tenderness when you press around the joint

Stiffness and achiness when you move the affected joint

Swelling, warmth or redness over the joint

Treatment

Your health care provider may recommend temporary rest or immobilization of the affected joint.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen may relieve pain and inflammation. Formal physical therapy may be helpful as well.

If the inflammation does not respond to the initial treatment, it may be necessary to draw out fluid from the bursa and inject corticosteroids. Surgery is rarely required.

Exercises for the affected area should be started as the pain goes away. If muscle atrophy (weakness or decrease in size) has occurred, your health care provider may suggest exercises to build strength and increase mobility.

Bursitis caused by infection is treated with antibiotics. Sometimes the infected bursa must be drained surgically.

Expectations (prognosis)

The condition may respond well to treatment, or it may develop into a chronic condition if the underlying cause cannot be corrected.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001456/
Old 09-21-2011   #3
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone else notice that Cushing wears the helmet that receives the calls from the sidelines?
Old 09-21-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Anyone else notice that Cushing wears the helmet that receives the calls from the sidelines?
Yes. Ryans is going off the field on 3rd downs so Cush is calling the defensive plays.
It's starting to look like CnD is right again about an injury.
Old 09-22-2011   #5
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Sharpton should be starting instead of Ryans untill Ryans looks like Ryans its kinda sad seeing him out there like this.
Old 09-22-2011   #6
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Yes. Ryans is going off the field on 3rd downs so Cush is calling the defensive plays.
It's starting to look like CnD is right again about an injury.
Is it too soon or way overdue that Texans fans start a campaign to join the Texans medical staff? I've only been on TT for a few years, and Cloak has been spot on with all 'guesses' about the medical conditions of our players.

Last edited by House of Pain; 09-22-2011 at 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-22-2011   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Sharpton should be starting instead of Ryans untill Ryans looks like Ryans its kinda sad seeing him out there like this.
Punctuation is a good thing. It makes posts easier to read and comprehend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
Is it too soon or way overdue that Texans fans start a campaign to join the Texans medical staff? I've only been on TT for a few years, and Cloak has been spot on with all 'guesses' about the medical conditions of our players.
Better late than never. It's got my vote.
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2011   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure the people that the Texans have diagnose just fine, they just don't enforce what they see. Have you not seen Any Given Sunday.
Old 09-22-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'm sure the people that the Texans have diagnose just fine, they just don't enforce what they see. Have you not seen Any Given Sunday.
There really isn't much incentive to look after a player's long-term health and well being. The player is a commodity and it's either producing or costing. The biggest concern they have is can he play, and if not, for how long.
Old 09-22-2011   #10
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to say it, but I'm a bit concerned about the Texans evaluation of injuries as well. Demeco wants to be out there, but at what point does he become a liability instead of an asset? Sharpton looked pretty good in the pre-season, and I have no doubt he could probably do a better job right now considering that massive thing Demeco is wearing. Its making me uncomfortable just watching him trying to tackle out there. Imagine how he feels trying to take on blocks and then make tackles. In a 3-4 the MLBs have to fight through more OL to get to the ball as well especially with no one in the middle able to take on a double team.
Old 09-22-2011   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

CND warned us months ago that Ryans achilles injury was more serious than fans wanted to believe and advised that something like 80% of all players with this type of achilles injury come back considerably slower than preinjury. Everyone wants to believe that Ryans will come back 100% but it just doesn't look like it. DocBar is right players are commodities and teams want to know when they're injured, how long they'll be out, and when and if they'll be back and at what level. As much as we all love Ryans it may be time to look for a replacement, and JMO but Sharpton ain't it. Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4 system. Dobbins would be a much better temp. replacement. I guarantee the Texans are also thinking about the guaranteed money left in Ryans contract. Anyone know how much money was guaranteed in his last contract and how much is left to be paid?
Old 09-22-2011   #12
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it will be a year before we know how good Ryans is going to be again.

I think back to all the serious injuries I've seen happen to players over the last few years and they never seem to play very well first season back.

Think of OD last year, probably not a guy you'd keep around if you didn't know what he was capable of once 100%.

Kevin Walter had a season ender and wasn't very good the following year.

Dunta Robinson, however we feel about that guy, whether it was to force a move or what, didn't perform the year after his injury.

I'm sure its going to hurt in the short term but we need to give DeMeco that space and time to get better, because we all know how good he can be when he comes back.

There is a saying in football (soccer) about how players who never had much pace in the first place come back after a leg break better than those who had pace to begin with. Well from what I know of Meco he was never all that physically gifted but he used what he had to the best of his ability. I hope that holds true here.
We will remember them.
Old 09-22-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
CND warned us months ago that Ryans achilles injury was more serious than fans wanted to believe and advised that something like 80% of all players with this type of achilles injury come back considerably slower than preinjury. Everyone wants to believe that Ryans will come back 100% but it just doesn't look like it. DocBar is right players are commodities and teams want to know when they're injured, how long they'll be out, and when and if they'll be back and at what level. As much as we all love Ryans it may be time to look for a replacement, and JMO but Sharpton ain't it. Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4 system. Dobbins would be a much better temp. replacement. I guarantee the Texans are also thinking about the guaranteed money left in Ryans contract. Anyone know how much money was guaranteed in his last contract and how much is left to be paid?
That's what I was alluding to in post #9. I hope Sharpton can at least hold his own this season. I went into the season not counting on much from Demeco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

I think back to all the serious injuries I've seen happen to players over the last few years and they never seem to play very well first season back.

Think of OD last year, probably not a guy you'd keep around if you didn't know what he was capable of once 100%.

Dunta Robinson, however we feel about that guy, whether it was to force a move or what, didn't perform the year after his injury.

I'm sure its going to hurt in the short term but we need to give DeMeco that space and time to get better, because we all know how good he can be when he comes back.

There is a saying in football (soccer) about how players who never had much pace in the first place come back after a leg break better than those who had pace to begin with. Well from what I know of Meco he was never all that physically gifted but he used what he had to the best of his ability. I hope that holds true here.
REAL football fans call that girly sport kickball.

As far as Demeco's injury, reading what CnD has posted, it doesn't appear that achille's injuries follow the same timelines as other injuries.
Old 09-22-2011   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

From what I remember of CND's post on achilles injuries, this isn't the type of injury that you come back from at 100% ever. It's not a matter of taking a long time to heal and being patient. From what I remember it's a matter of being permanently slowed by the injury.
Old 09-22-2011   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he looked good in Week 1. Was active, in on a bunch of tackles, etc. Week 2 he was a freakin' ghost.
Old 09-22-2011   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand what you're trying to show in your video. In pretty much all of your clips Demeco gets taken out by a blocker.

1. In play 1 he looks to hit a hole that is quickly filled by a blocker and he is redirected. He gets to the ballcarrier too late. Not related to elbow as far as I can tell

2. In play 2, its a screen. RB plus two blockers vs one tackler (Ryans). He gets taken out by a blocker, no chance at the RB. Not related to elbow as far as I can tell

3. In play 3 he busts through the line with no trouble and forces Henne into a throw while going backwards and it winds up a pass about 10 yards short. Great play by Ryans

4. Play 4 he breaks through the line with no trouble, but the RB takes a sidestep to avoid his tackle and Ryans is left with a hand hold on him and its not enough to bring him down. Missed tackle, maybe related to elbow

5. I'm not sure what we're supposed to see in this one. He's picked up by a blocker and a hole is created next to him. With only 3 lineman and both our OLBs on the outside, we're not going to need ILBs to occupy blockers on their way to the RB as well. I don't see how this is related to the elbow either

6. Same thing as number 5

In 5/6 examples I don't see the injury having anything to do with his lack of tackles. What I saw was an ILB who isn't familiar with the 3-4 and who is making great reads but getting stopped by blockers. When your 3-4 lineman are rushing the passer and your OLBs are rushing the passer and the opposition runs up the middle, its going to be difficult for a guy like Ryans to get a tackle if he attacks the line like that. He's going to run in to blockers and let guys like Cushing clean up the rest. Ryans looks like himself from the 4-3 days when he had the ability to get to the ball carrier without going through 1-2 lineman every time. I don't see any hindrance of the elbow from these clips except MAYBE in clip 4. But even that is something of a reach because the RB put a good move on him and he was left to tackle with his arms. How many times has Arian done that to excellent tacklers with no injuries at all
Old 09-22-2011   #17
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly it looks like his elbow is bothering him more than anything... I really don't see him being that much slower... maybe I need to have a look at the games again, but his speed, quickness and change of direction don't look too terrible for a guy coming off of that injury... 100%? No, but I wasn't expecting that...

I believe CND's post everyone's referencing had the number of "58%" or so in it... I believe it was the average level of production that players with this injury end up reaching after coming off the injury? Compared to their previous production, of course... Very interesting and depressing number, but I forget how that number was reached... Obvioiusly, to be at 58%, there had to have been some higher levels achieved... also, how many were career ending (obviously those would be 0%ers, dragging the average down quite a bit)? But still, a sad number...

But like I said, 'Meco doesn't look "too" horrible right now for a guy coming off of an injury like this, but he has for sure lost something...

As for CND being the new team doctor for the Texans, that would be awesome to have one of our own there to come here and post MRIs etc..., but would he really make that big of a difference? You don't think the current team doctors say "This is what's wrong, I'm thinking he needs to sit out 3-4 weeks" though the player ends up playing that week anyway? The coaches just come back with "But physically, can he play?".. Doctor: "Sure but I..." Coaches: "Thanks...."

That's all over the league, btw, not just here in Houston...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 09-22-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Honestly it looks like his elbow is bothering him more than anything... I really don't see him being that much slower... maybe I need to have a look at the games again, but his speed, quickness and change of direction don't look too terrible for a guy coming off of that injury... 100%? No, but I wasn't expecting that...

I believe CND's post everyone's referencing had the number of "58%" or so in it... I believe it was the average level of production that players with this injury end up reaching after coming off the injury? Compared to their previous production, of course... Very interesting and depressing number, but I forget how that number was reached... Obvioiusly, to be at 58%, there had to have been some higher levels achieved... also, how many were career ending (obviously those would be 0%ers, dragging the average down quite a bit)? But still, a sad number...

But like I said, 'Meco doesn't look "too" horrible right now for a guy coming off of an injury like this, but he has for sure lost something...

As for CND being the new team doctor for the Texans, that would be awesome to have one of our own there to come here and post MRIs etc..., but would he really make that big of a difference? You don't think the current team doctors say "This is what's wrong, I'm thinking he needs to sit out 3-4 weeks" though the player ends up playing that week anyway? The coaches just come back with "But physically, can he play?".. Doctor: "Sure but I..." Coaches: "Thanks...."

That's all over the league, btw, not just here in Houston...
Put down the and step away from the keyboard. Demeco looks nothing like the Demeco of old. Saying he looks slower is being kind. He looks slower, weaker and more tentative. I'm sure slower and more tentative explains the weaker impression, but nevertheless, it's not good.
Old 09-22-2011   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I thought he looked good in Week 1. Was active, in on a bunch of tackles, etc. Week 2 he was a freakin' ghost.
I agree with that. He was making hits with a grudge. I agree with Vinny that he's underutilized as a pass rushing MLB.
Old 09-22-2011   #20
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

He's obviously not what he used to be. That's a beast.

I remember when this guy was right there with Willis as top young ILBs and the injury no doubt has slowed him down as well as switching to a new defense.

BUT he has not looked bad or horrible. He's just not what we expect out of him but the thing about Meco is he's a much more mental player and technical player I think once the elbow heals up and that brace comes off we'll see something a bit more familiar.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read