Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-24-2005   #1
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Casserlys a marked man

lets just hope he was right on this pick. we had the guy 90% of texan fans wanted available. he dropped like no one expected he would and by many accounts he was the best d player available. in my opinion, he had the best resume of any d prospect and all we heard leading up to the draft was they were going to take bpa and not draft for need. what happened? tj rated higher than dj?? maybe because of the system they had him rated higher, but here we go on the 3-4 that weve had 4 years to try to find the right players for and it seems to be more troublesome than the benefits we have recieved from it. DJ was a huge playmaker, we should have found a way to put him in the system. i dont care whats expected of a 3-4 lineman im pretty confident that he would have been an upgrade over wong in the middle. we have safties converting to lb's and qb's into cover guys, u cant tell me it would have been that big of a transition for an athletic guy like dj. as far as casserlys track record goes, i want to not like the guy for some of the picks he makes but hes had some hits like the buchanon deal and dd and faggins. then he comes around with terrible picks like joppru and hollings. this draft just really dropped cass down in my opinion. i bet im in the majority of cass being on most texans fans bad side. even with buchannon and whatever he does tommorrow, id give buchannon up to have dj. this is a nightmare.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
ComstockLode
Veteran

Default Passing on DJ, Indecisiveness by the Texans...

First of all, the happiness my buddies and I realized we had DJ for the taking. He was right there. I understand trading down for more value. I could deal with it.

But basically stating that Travis Johnson and a 3rd rounder next year is better than DJ makes me laugh to myself. I am still in total shock over what happened. I could deal with us getting a better player and something more with the trade down. But Dear Gawd.

Travis Johnson would have lasted at least 5 more picks, and most mocks had him barely in the first round. Reasons:

1. Career Underachiever
2. Not considered a hard worker
3. Is a "thug" and does not fit the mold of high character players.
4. Has had rape charges pressed against him
5. Got into a fight in the combine where he punched a Minnesota scout.

So what the f*ck happened here?

What I got out of this, was that the texans were trying to trade down out of the 16th pick and pick TJ later on, and were not able to get any takers. So instead they picked him at 16.

Forget the fact that Marcus Spears is a much better player, adds a pass rush, and can stop the run. And he would be a good 3-4 DE.

Or even maybe Alex Barron, who has character issues, but none half as bad as TJs.

Mark Clayton- maybe give Andre a little help out there. And he could stretch the field.

Thomas Davis- Give us a big hitting safety along with our great coverage corners. This means alligator arms for recievers over the middle. This definately would help since we play the colts twice a season.

Pollack and Erasmus James both would have been much better value picks as well.

Comments by Capers and Casserly really makes my blood boil. Comments like: "We are looking to add depth"

The Patriots and Eagles should be looking to add depth. 7-9 Teams should not be looking to add depth. They should be looking for something to help them win more games now, or in the near future. This picks does not really help this team accomplish that goal. Our 3rd round pick will help us achieve a winning season more than our 1st. Is that not ridiculous? WE WERE 7-9. WE DID NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. WE ARE LOOKING TO ADD DEPTH?????

I think we just blew our first draft thus far.

Sadly, it will hurt seeing him here in Houston with the chiefs. I have a bad feeling, that playing against the texans will give him even more extra motivation against the team that passed on him for an extra 3rd round pick.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #3
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

unless you were in the texans draft room, you have NO idea what they were thinking. i think TJ will be an outstanding pick for our 3-4 system, and our team. they needed youth on DL, and they got it.

DJ myopics, keep thinking we skipped up the best player for US.

QUIT CRYING.................................
Old 04-24-2005   #4
Janus3
Veteran

lol at giving up buchannon for dj. buchannon and travis johnson >>>>>>>>>>> derrrick johnson any day of the year. i'm gonna laugh when dj is a bust next year cuz he isn't physical. it's gonna be funny watching him trying to run around the broncos, raiders and chargers o line then get pancaked.
Janus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3
lol at giving up buchannon for dj. buchannon and travis johnson >>>>>>>>>>> derrrick johnson any day of the year. i'm gonna laugh when dj is a bust next year cuz he isn't physical. it's gonna be funny watching him trying to run around the broncos, raiders and chargers o line then get pancaked.
They said the same thing about Jonathan Vilma... who was your rookie of the year last year. Or maybe Derrick brooks, because he cant take on blocks. OR maybe even Ray Lewis, who was late first round because he couldnt take on any blocks.
Old 04-24-2005   #6
Janus3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
They said the same thing about Jonathan Vilma... who was your rookie of the year last year. Or maybe Derrick brooks, because he cant take on blocks. OR maybe even Ray Lewis, who was late first round because he couldnt take on any blocks.
coincidence vilma and ray lewis are from miami and brooks from FSU? big 12 is a soft confernece with weak teams.
Old 04-24-2005   #7
canadiantexan
Veteran

Maybe people should wait to see how the pick (Travis) plays out before they ***** and moan about firing Cass or say they dont like the pick. Give it a chance I remember Eagles fans booing McNabb and that's worked out pretty well for them.
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus3
coincidence vilma and ray lewis are from miami and brooks from FSU? big 12 is a soft confernece with weak teams.
That may have been the dumbest comment I have ever read. You mustve been in the draft room with casserly.
Old 04-24-2005   #9
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Travis Johnson would have gone to the Bengals at 17 if the Texans hadn't taken him. The only spot that DJ would really fit in a 3-4 is the same spot they signed Morlon Greenwood to play. There are as many concerns from teams about DJ as there were about Travis Johnson.

It's absurd to think Casserly and the Texans are going to base their jobs on the players the fans want chosen. They draft the guy that they feel will help the Texans win. They understand that many fans are fickle when it comes to local players, but that's not the way to run a successful team. Do you think Belicheck worries that the fans think they should take some UMass player with their first pick? I seriously doubt anyone is going to cancel their tickets or stop being a fan because they made a personnel decision like this. If they do, there will be 10 people ready to take those seats.

Let's give the players an opportunity to show what they have to offer. 8 months from now everyone could be talking about how great this pick is. I'm sure some of the same people saying Casserly should be strung up will be the first ones to claim to have loved this pick if it turns out well.
Old 04-24-2005   #10
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

Right on. If you hate this pick, that's fine, just don't come back and say it is outstanding after TJ is

BBBBBBBB
AAAAAAA
DDDDDDD
AAAAAAA
RRRRRRRR
SSSSSSS
EEEEEEEE

after 2005 is over.
Old 04-24-2005   #11
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
we had the guy 90% of texan fans wanted available
that doesn't make it the right pick, i for one didn't think that he was the bar-none the best player for OUR team. most people have not seen travis play, so right now we can't say that it was a bad pick. reading about him makes me a little more excited, he was a freshman all-american before he had a minor neck injury. he was never able to get back into the starting line up because of who he was behind and his shoulder injury. people bring up his shoulder injury but he had his best season afterward. his rape charges were dropped and he plays with a mean streak, which is a plus on the d-line as long as he doesn't let it get out of control.
Old 04-24-2005   #12
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who says that one draft prospect is better and has a brighter future.. ON DRAFT DAY... honestly.. think about it.

There have been so many "sure things" that were total busts.. and so many "sure busts" that are going into, or already in, the hall of fame.

it is a pointless and stupid arguement. Come back in 4 years.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #13
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
the knock on vilma was that he wasn't that big because he was a shade above six feet and about 233 lbs. i don't think i ever heard that he wasn't physical, did you see the 2002 rose bowl?
Old 04-24-2005   #14
Janus3
Veteran

Quote:
That may have been the dumbest comment I have ever read. You mustve been in the draft room with casserly.
that coming from someone with a UT player as an icon doesn't really hold any validity.
Old 04-24-2005   #15
Master Po
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93
Travis Johnson would have gone to the Bengals at 17 if the Texans hadn't taken him. The only spot that DJ would really fit in a 3-4 is the same spot they signed Morlon Greenwood to play. There are as many concerns from teams about DJ as there were about Travis Johnson.

It's absurd to think Casserly and the Texans are going to base their jobs on the players the fans want chosen. They draft the guy that they feel will help the Texans win. They understand that many fans are fickle when it comes to local players, but that's not the way to run a successful team. Do you think Belicheck worries that the fans think they should take some UMass player with their first pick? I seriously doubt anyone is going to cancel their tickets or stop being a fan because they made a personnel decision like this. If they do, there will be 10 people ready to take those seats.

Let's give the players an opportunity to show what they have to offer. 8 months from now everyone could be talking about how great this pick is. I'm sure some of the same people saying Casserly should be strung up will be the first ones to claim to have loved this pick if it turns out well.
I posted similar comments in another thread. These comments are SPOT ON. Marvin Lewis was all over TJ. You UT homers need to get a grip. UnBEleivable! Amazing how SOOOOO many teams passed on a reckless, poor wrap up tackler like Derrick Friggin Johnson. They ALL must be nuts!!
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #16
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

I'm the biggest Longhorn fan in the world. In the past five years, I have been to every single home and away games. I have been to every bowl games, and thats why I love DJ and Benson. But I too had my concerns of him fitting into our 3-4 defense. Lets think about this with an open mind: Do you really think that if Casserly and Capers knew that DJ would become an all-time pro LB for atleast the next decade, which most of DJ supporters over here seem to think, would they pass on him for a mere third rounder. COME ON! They would have been all over him before the clock ran down to 14:00. They are the ones being paid the big money by Mr. McNair and certainly they are a thousand times better than us in evaluating talent and making decisions in the best interest of this franchise. Lets not act like that we know a lot more than them and that we deserve the money they're being paid for doing their job.
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #17
Master Po
Veteran

And another thing...you people that are using a guy's last BOWL GAME as an end-all showcase of what a player can do need to quit worrying about football and start diagnosing the USA's chances of soon competing in Table Tennis in the Olympics. (Is there a PUKE emoticon on this board?)
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #18
Janus3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNghoRn-TeXaN
I'm the biggest Longhorn fan in the world. In the past five years, I have been to every single home and away games. I have been to every bowl games, and thats why I love DJ and Benson. But I too had my concerns of him fitting into our 3-4 defense. Lets think about this with an open mind: Do you really think that if Casserly and Capers knew that DJ would become an all-time pro LB for atleast the next decade, which most of DJ supporters over here seem to think, would they pass on him for a mere third rounder. COME ON! They would have been all over him before the clock ran down to 14:00. They are the ones being paid the big money by Mr. McNair and certainly they are a thousand times better than us in evaluating talent and making decisions in the best interest of this franchise. Lets not act like that we know a lot more than them and that we deserve the money they're being paid for doing their job.
great to hear the POV of someone a longhorn fan who looks at the big picture with an unbiased opinion. awesome insight, thanks.
Old 04-24-2005   #19
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator
maybe because of the system they had him rated higher, but here we go on the 3-4 that weve had 4 years to try to find the right players for and it seems to be more troublesome than the benefits we have recieved from it.
You may have a point there. It's frustrating when many of the best defensive prospects don't seem to fit our system every year.

We pass on blue-chip prospects like Julius Peppers & John Henderson because they don't fit and end up gambling on undersized linemen like Babin that we will try to convert to linebacker.

It's hard for me to get excited about Babin, but hopefully he will change my mind one day.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #20
hound
Rookie

Look on the bright side of this. If these guys don't work out the Texans will have a new GM and new coaches within two years.

And if they do work out... then they worked out.

Most experts had him ranked as the number one DT. No one can know today know if TJ will work out or not...

But I can say I don't like his off the field track record of problems and I wouldn't have taken him simply for that.

I also know that I saw a stat that with TJ's pick that was 8 defensive players taken in the last 10 draft picks. And yet going 80% defense... our defense sort of sucks. Either the players or the coaching has been bad.

I also know that TJ is a Texan now and we should always welcome new Texans.
hound is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read