Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2011   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ProFootballFocus' look-back at Texans v. Dolphins

Re-Focused – Texans @ Dolphins, Week 2
September 21st, 2011 | Author: Neil Hornsby

The Texans won this without their offense really getting out of third gear; they seemed like a group with plenty of self-assurance and a little to spare in the tank as well. That’s more than can be said for the “new” defense which creaked around the edges and despite never really breaking, looked average. However, average is a step on from last year and you can’t see them writing too many checks that the offense won’t be at least able to make a decent fist of cashing.

Miami, mostly due to Chad Henne, looked a tad underdone as they just about kept in the game, but somehow, always looked out of it. Obviously leaving two field goals of 34 and 22 yards unmade and having Daniel Thomas’ fumble come just as the offensive line was beginning to open some holes, was unhelpful but blaming these things alone would be wrong. For example, while the defense has now played two of the premier offenses in the league you have to expect more of this talented group. With two weeks gone only Randy Starks and Cameron Wake have played anything approaching well and even they have struggled in certain facets of play.
Houston Texans – Three Things of Note
1) From worst to first
Once again the offensive line did a good job and while it was one of those days for Wade Smith, when he struggled with his run blocking, everyone else at least held their own. Special mention though should be saved for Duane Brown. I was reminded watching this game of his first start for the Texans against the Steelers in 2008 (the first game I analyzed for PFF that year) when he was destroyed by James Harrison. Now, three years on, he looks a different player; a sure pass protector – he was perfect here – and not a bad run blocker to boot. He did struggle a little with Starks at the point of attack but made up for that with some athletic work at the 2nd level, particularly against Kevin Burnett.

2) Tate to the fore as Foster sits
Arian Foster ran the ball 10 times at a ho-hum 3.3 yards per clip before disappearing to the sideline to be replaced by Ben Tate. He didn’t seem to have his usual spark, but maybe his look on the sideline, as the first year player piled up yards in relief, suggests he’ll find it quickly. Tate did nothing wrong (and a lot right) in picking up 103 yards at a much more respectable 4.5 yards per attempt but I’m still to be won over completely. As one trick ponies go, if indeed that’s what he is, his one trick is very good indeed as he gets between the tackles (15 of 23 runs being either “A” or “B” gap), makes his one cut and powers into the hole, gaining a lot of yards after contact (70 here). On this showing he didn’t look anywhere near as elusive as Foster but, with this line, will that be a real factor and do they need him to be? Any team failing to pay due attention to the run, even with Foster roaming the sidelines, will be made to suffer.

3) Marshall schools Allen
Antonio Smith apart, (one sack, two hits and two hurries) this really wasn’t a tour de force for the defense. They gave Henne far too much time on occasions and got pushed around a little by the Dolphins line. No one was awful but perhaps the biggest weakness was ex-Dolphin Jason Allen. His pure numbers don’t look too bad, three receptions on seven targets for 33 yards and a TD, but when you look in more detail things get worse. One of those incompletions was a drop in the end zone by Brandon Marshall with Allen beaten and on the actual touchdown Marshall simply caught a short hitch and pushed Allen backwards into the end zone. For good measure he also missed a tackle on Marshall in the 3rd quarter.

Game Notes
● In a something of an oddity for a non-blowout, not a single LB or CB of the 16 starters on either team played 100% of the defensive snaps. Rare? Maybe not – but I can’t recall seeing it too often.
● Henne’s overall passer rating was 56.3. On the 12 occasions the Texans blitzed 113.8. Gee, you think he knew they were coming?
● Daniel Thomas had more rushes in this one game than “every down back” Reggie Bush has in the first two.
PFF Game Ball:
Duane Brown, OT, Houston Texans
It’s not that I’m on a mission to redress the balance of press given to them and give every one of these to members of the offensive line but Duane Brown is becoming a force at left tackle.

read more: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...lphins-week-2/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ProFootballFocus' look-back at Texans v. Dolphins

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Game Notes
● Henne’s overall passer rating was 56.3. On the 12 occasions the Texans blitzed 113.8. Gee, you think he knew they were coming?
Hmm...

Kuharsky posted something from ESPN's stats department that states the polar opposite here; that Henne's passer rating and production were markedly worse when the Texans brought 5 or more.
Old 09-21-2011   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting to see their take on Duane Brown, don't think there was anyone seeing him in quite such a positive light on here. Anybody want to share their thoughts on that for someone with less knowledge of O-line play?
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Interesting to see their take on Duane Brown, don't think there was anyone seeing him in quite such a positive light on here. Anybody want to share their thoughts on that for someone with less knowledge of O-line play?
He stone-walled Freeney against the Colts, which was awesome.
Old 09-21-2011   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
He stone-walled Freeney against the Colts, which was awesome.
Agreed. He got plenty of props for that game though, not sure I've seen much mentioned about him following week 2.
We will remember them.
Old 09-21-2011   #6
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. He got plenty of props for that game though, not sure I've seen much mentioned about him following week 2.
But you've seen Winston mentioned the most.

A quiet day is a great day for a Offensive lineman
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand folks wanting to move Brown to RT or G...

Makes 0 sense to me. After this franchise has struggled for so long to find a good LT and now we have one that plays really well a majority of the time and we want to move him and replace him with a rookie?

I'd rather stick to the rivers and the Lakes that I'm used to.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2011   #8
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

If that's true then all this talk about how they are able to disguise what they do is fubar. Sounds like they need to work on bein' better little ninjas when they want to blitz.

Thought Brown did a great job last week against the Colts but I didn't really notice his play against the Fins because I thought the whole dang line looked pretty sucky on pass protection.....
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There were either a couple of miscues in protection or Brown messed up a couple of times. IIRC, there were two plays midway or late in the 3rd quarter where the fins got good pressure on Schaub and a sack by Jason Taylor. Without knowing the protections, it's hard to say who's at fault on some plays. It looked to me like Tate struggled a bit in pass pro.
Old 09-22-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't understand folks wanting to move Brown to RT or G...

Makes 0 sense to me. After this franchise has struggled for so long to find a good LT and now we have one that plays really well a majority of the time and we want to move him and replace him with a rookie?

I'd rather stick to the rivers and the Lakes that I'm used to.
To me, it's like the Dunta Robinson thing.

As long as Dunta Robinson was setting the bar for our secondary... we weren't going to have a very good secondary.

Not that I agree with them about Brown, I actually like what I've seen from him so far.
Old 09-22-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post

Thought Brown did a great job last week against the Colts but I didn't really notice his play against the Fins because I thought the whole dang line looked pretty sucky on pass protection.....
I thought Brown had a good game.... there was that Jason Taylor free-off-the-line sack that I don't know what was going on over there, but other than that, the left side of the line looked fine. Great compared to the middle & right side. The battle between Solail (sp) & Myers/Brisiel was a good one... Wake vs Winston... not so much.
Old 09-22-2011   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post

If that's true then all this talk about how they are able to disguise what they do is fubar. Sounds like they need to work on bein' better little ninjas when they want to blitz.

I think they played a good bit of the game in nickel packages. Probably harder to disguise a blitz outside of the 3/4 setup. Besides it's not the disguising that's necessarily a problem...it's the effectiveness of the players, their execution of assignments and production.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #13
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I thought Brown had a good game.... there was that Jason Taylor free-off-the-line sack that I don't know what was going on over there, but other than that, the left side of the line looked fine. Great compared to the middle & right side. The battle between Solail (sp) & Myers/Brisiel was a good one... Wake vs Winston... not so much.
That Jason Taylor sack, fair play to the guy, he timed his run so unbelievably well he might as well have been offside for all the chance Brown had, the dude was sprinting in line with the ball at the point it was snapped, no chance to make a play against that.
We will remember them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read