Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2011   #1
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans overrated in power rankings?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...tlanta-falcons

Each week this season, Chris Sprow will consult with Vegas experts such as Jay Kornegay of the Vegas Hilton, use projection systems such as AccuScore and dive into the numbers to point out which teams the human voters are over- and underselling.

Find me a movie that is willing to dump any sense of science, reason or plot flow because it would detract from the entertainment value, and I'll play along. "Demolition Man" is a great, absurd movie. Don't be held hostage by critics who can't get over the idea that in a futuristic, utopian society, the only restaurant is Taco Bell. (Hello -- it survived the franchise wars!) Or that in a world where the police can detect the sound of your voice down to a whisper and ticket you for cursing, a savage underground society that operates like an unpoliced Mardi Gras can exist three feet below the city streets.

Two weeks into the season, the NFL is already entering the realm of the absurd plot if you really want to rank teams based only on wins and losses. We'll play along, of course, but arguments get messy. Jacksonville beat the Titans, who then beat the Ravens, a week after the Ravens beat Pittsburgh by 28 points. But the Jaguars were smoked by the Jets on Sunday. Of course, the Jets should have lost at home to Dallas -- New York's win odds midway through the fourth quarter were down to 4 percent -- and the Cowboys could have lost to San Francisco. And the Niners were less impressive against Seattle than the Steelers, who lost to the Ravens, who lost to the Titans, who -- you get the point.

We're just entering Week 3, and it's a demolition zone. If you need a pure logic, don't tune in to the NFL. But a closer look at the numbers shows at least some holes in the new power rankings:

Overrated

Houston Texans

Power Rankings slot: 5
Win projection average: 9.2
Super Bowl odds: 12-1
ATRAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #2
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans overrated in power rankings?

I know power rankings are a joke but why the hate?
ATRAIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #3
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

If we lose Sunday, we're overrated. If we win, we're underrated.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans, generally great offense and horrid defense condemning them to mid table rankings.

Defense fixed, bingo... potential juggernaut.

Rankings approved.
Old 09-20-2011   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Fortunately this isn't college football and in the NFL power rankings are only to look at and have fun with.

Are the Texans the 5th best team in the league right now? No way. I would rank the 7 teams right below them higher than the Texans (with the exception of maybe Detroit).

Those 7 teams are the Eagles, Ravens, Falcons, Steelers, Bears, Lions, and Chargers.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

When we kill the saints this week we will be In the right rank IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #7
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm trying to stay as level headed as possible about the Texans this year. I, like most fans, jumped the gun last year and I don't want to go through that again.

BUT...assuming that the Defense is 'fixed' and are capable of generating a pass rush (yes), turnovers (yes), and the occasional stop/3-and-out (yes), then I don't know how you can say this team isn't at least in the top 12 teams in the league. Dare I say, if this Defense isn't fool's gold, and the team gets better at it as the year goes along, I don't know how you can't call them, at very least, a serious contender.

I'm not ready to do that yet, but with each win, we get that much closer.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2011   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Tier rankings make more sense to me.

Something along the lines that if two teams in the same Tier played 10 games, you'd expect a 5-5 split. A team ranked one Tier above an opponent would be expected to win 6 out of 10. A two Tier difference 7 of 10. Three Tiers 8 of 10, etc.

If you put the Patriots, Packers, and whoever else in Tier 1...

I think Texans make it into Tier 2 at this time.

But don't ask me to rank 'em all because it gives me a headache.
Old 09-20-2011   #9
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
If we lose Sunday, we're overrated. If we win, we're underrated.
Not necessarily we can loose on Sunday then beat ravens and steelers and still be underated

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2011   #10
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

They just don't know where to rank the Texans after 2-0 start(only 6 other teams with same record) with #1 D. Especially, the most experts said till last year that Texans has great O without D. Now, we have D and got same O from last few years, they got rank us somewhere in top 10. But like ya'll mentioned, after Saints, Steelers, Raiders, and Ravens, we should get a better idea where we really stand.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #11
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Fortunately this isn't college football and in the NFL power rankings are only to look at and have fun with.

Are the Texans the 5th best team in the league right now? No way. I would rank the 7 teams right below them higher than the Texans (with the exception of maybe Detroit).

Those 7 teams are the Eagles, Ravens, Falcons, Steelers, Bears, Lions, and Chargers.
Patriots

Unless you think they are tooooo good to count?
Old 09-20-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Texans, generally great offense and horrid defense condemning them to mid table rankings.

Defense fixed, bingo... potential juggernaut.

Rankings approved.
HEY Kiwi,

I know this isn't the forum for this question but I will shoot anyway... Forgive me, since the passing of our ANGEL ARIA, what are you and your family's plans??? Are you heading "down under"?? Are you already Down Under??? AND.... KNOW THIS to be fact, Houston Texas and Lincoln Nebraksa will always hold Aria in a special place....

I hope you know, that my friend!!!!!

Much love to the KIWI family!!!!

~Bill
Old 09-20-2011   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

We have played the Peytonless Colts, and The Henne Dolphins. Damn right were overated. BUT i like it
Old 09-20-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
HEY Kiwi,

I know this isn't the forum for this question but I will shoot anyway... Forgive me, since the passing of our ANGEL ARIA, what are you and your family's plans??? Are you heading "down under"?? Are you already Down Under??? AND.... KNOW THIS to be fact, Houston Texas and Lincoln Nebraksa will always hold Aria in a special place....

I hope you know, that my friend!!!!!

Much love to the KIWI family!!!!

~Bill
Good post TB. I will always remember my little darling Aria. I cannot wait until I get to meet her in Heaven. I expect a big hug because she will know how much I prayed for her.
Old 09-20-2011   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bottom line is, we're 2-0. Of course there are better teams than ours when looking at the big picture, but power rankings rank so far. We won one game with offense, we won another with defense. Being unbiased, that's freakin' impressive. Pats are #1, since they look like machines. Green Bay and the Jets are 2/3 interchangable. Might dock points from GB for struggling against Carolina, but they're a surprise too. And the Jets got lucky in Week 1 (horseshoes up their asses, shocking) but destroyed Jacksonville in Week 2. Then you have Detroit who's been on fire offensively and defensively but played what is probably now the worst team in the league in KC.

I think that, right now, power ranking-wise, we should be somewhere between 5-7.

Philly is 1-1, losing a close game to another power but they're getting banged up and now they're Vick-less for the time being. Atlanta got rolled by the Bears in Week 1 who got rolled by the Saints in Week 2. Buffalo's been good, but not ready to launch them in. San Diego is always sluggish to start out, and were too sloppy in Week 2 against NE. They'll get be higher on my personal list when it's November and December, I'm sure. Ravens losing to Tennessee is pretty much inexcusable. I don't care if you beat the hell out of the Steelers in Week 1. And the Steelers, well they got rocked against Baltimore and cruised against Seattle.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read