Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-20-2011   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A Philosphical Quandry

It is late December, 2011. The 10-4 Texans have the AFC South clinched and are playing the 1-13 Colts the next week. There are two other 1-13 teams in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. The Texans don't have home field advantage wrapped up, but are still in the running for it.

Question: Do you "rest" your starters against the Colts like they did against the Jets a couple of years back in order to help keep them out of the Luck Lotto or do you go full bore and try to wrap up home field advantage?
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #2
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Philosphical Quandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
It is late December, 2011. The 10-4 Texans have the AFC South clinched and are playing the 1-13 Colts the next week. There are two other 1-13 teams in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. The Texans don't have home field advantage wrapped up, but are still in the running for it.

Question: Do you "rest" your starters against the Colts like they did against the Jets a couple of years back in order to help keep them out of the Luck Lotto or do you go full bore and try to wrap up home field advantage?

Sorry, not trying to be rude, but that's a horrible question.
Play for the win 100% of the time, all the time.

You nuckin futs?!?!?
Voluntarily surrender a shot at home field advantage to keep an unproven draft pick out of the hands of a 1-13 team? Crazy, I tell ya.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

You always do what's best in your interest and don't worry about some implication that your don't have control over. Play the starters and try to get home field advantage.
Old 09-20-2011   #4
CLTEXAN_FAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 CLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVP

Never lay down to the colts....NEVER
Old 09-20-2011   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You always do what's best in your interest and don't worry about some implication that your don't have control over. Play the starters and try to get home field advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTEXAN_FAN View Post
Never lay down to the colts....NEVER

I apologize to both of you. Your comments are appreciated but not needed.

I forgot to put the /thread in my post. If I had remembered, it would have saved you the time of responding.

LOL
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I apologize to both of you. Your comments are appreciated but not needed.

I forgot to put the /thread in my post. If I had remembered, it would have saved you the time of responding.

LOL
You are forgiven because I did not see your post. I hit reply and walked away to answer the phone before I finished typing.
Old 09-20-2011   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans already had homefield wrapped up then I don't have (much of) an issue with it. The long-term implications could be dire indeed.
Old 09-20-2011   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

If home field advantage is wrapped up, starters rest.

If home field advantage is on the line, starters play.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #9
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think they'd even draft him unless Manning's career is over. Way too much $ to wrap up in two guys with the salary cap. Especially if one is always on the bench and there are so many glaring needs in a lot of other places.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

You play to win the game. Hello!

This whole conversation bothers me ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #11
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You play to win the game. Hello!

This whole conversation bothers me ....
What he said. Especially in-division, and double-especially against the Colts.
Old 09-20-2011   #12
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: A Philosphical Quandry

Quote:
It is late December, 2011. The 10-4 Texans have the AFC South clinched and are playing the 1-13 Colts the next week. There are two other 1-13 teams in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes.

Question: Do you "rest" your starters against the Colts like they did against the Jets a couple of years back in order to help keep them out of the Luck Lotto or do you go full bore to take momentum into the playoffs?
Did he mean this????

Because, well, his original question answers itself?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You cant play the what if game. We control what we control. And that would be playing our starters and getting home field advantage.

So we rest our starters, lose the game, miss out on homefield advantage. Indy still ends up with the first pick, or trades up for the first pick. Well that would suck wouldnt it?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
If home field advantage is wrapped up, starters rest.

If home field advantage is on the line, starters play.
Agreed. But, I would not lose any sleep if we lost to them and they missed out on Andrew Luck.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #15
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: A Philosphical Quandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Agreed. But, I would not lose any sleep if we lost to them and they missed out on Andrew Luck.
Now, if you would take a dive to royally screw Indy, well, that is a different question!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I really don't want Luck going to the Colts like anyone else, but think of it like this.

-It's probably safe to say the Colts will be picking top 10

-There's probably 6-7 first round QBs this year

-Yes it would really suck to have Luck in the AFC South, but it will also suck if they get Tannehill, Cousins, Weeden, Griffin III, or Landry Jones too.

This is a heck of a QB class and the Colts could get a franchise guy with the 1st pick, 6th pick or even 14th so this is moot if you ask me.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sweep the Colts! I don't care if we have homefield throughout wrapped up, you do your fan base a favor and sweep the freakin' Colts.

But as to the original question: it's a no-brainer that you play to gain homefield in the playoffs. Let next season be worried about next season.

I know Luck is the flavor of the day, but nobody is guaranteed to be great in the NFL. We've seen first round busts and 6th round Hall of Famers, so it's an educated guessing game year to year.

Besides, based on the scenario, Luck would be a rookie that would have to play our defense twice a year, and if this scenario pans, it's obviously going to be a consistently good D. We squash him and blow his confidence and Colts fans are referring to him as HWWNBN in six years!
Old 09-20-2011   #18
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 17549 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Beat the colts. Kidnap Andrew Luck.
Simples.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235987 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Carpe diem.

Live in the moment.

One game at a time.

THIS is THIS -- Robert DeNiro, Deer Hunter

If you've got one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow...

Last edited by Playoffs; 09-20-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Play your starters, run up the score by halftime and send in the reserves. In the context of the scenario, it might not be a bad idea at all to get some good film of Leinart out there. If Yates is coming along nicely and Leinart plays well, he could have some trade value. Just a thought in a "what if "thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read