Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2011   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This Time Last Year on TexansTalk

I am in a weird place as a Texan fan. Consequently, I am just going with it and not saying much. However, given that we were here last year, and how badly the Cowboys game stung after a positive start, I feel the need to apply a mental reset.

The below submissions are not taking a dig at the OP, but rather providing us a glimpse into the collective Texan experience this time last year.

The Texans needs to be working out more kickers

Time to get sappy about these Texans!

AFC Playbook guys ALL pick the Texans

Last time we went 2-0

This team has a different vibe, than the previous nine editions. I am amazed that a non-personality guy like Phillips has brought personality to the defense over night - but with investment.
Old 09-19-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This Time Last Year on TexansTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am in a weird place as a Texan fan. Consequently, I am just going with it and not saying much. However, given that we were here last year, and how badly the Cowboys game stung after a positive start, I feel the need to apply a mental reset.

The below submissions are not taking a dig at the OP, but rather providing us a glimpse into the collective Texan experience this time last year.

Last time we went 2-0

This team has a different vibe, than the previous nine editions. I am amazed that a non-personality guy like Phillips has brought personality to the defense over night - but with investment.
I think the success this season is Wade's ability seemingly inherited from his daddy to understand his players personalities and get them to buy into his ideas.
Old 09-19-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This team still has every chance and opportunity to go belly up and blow the entire season.

Last year, I would have told you that it would be impossible to start off 4-2 and then go 2-8 the rest of the season.

We've still got a long way to go.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #4
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I totally get what you're saying. It's definitely a cautiously optimistic feeling that I have as well. I'm always hoping for the best every week, but our history would suggest otherwise. Hopefully they learn how to consistently win this year and put these demons to rest.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Last time we went 2-0

I used to like you, KT...

obligatory
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

While wade and Gary have struggled with the overall aspect of head coaching, I think that both of them know how to get the best out Their respective units of expertise. I also think their personalities mesh well together and I think that behind the scenes they can get a bit more animated.

I expect a good showing against the saints. I think we have a great shot at winning but we have to score td's early. If we let the saints keep the run as an option it will be tough. Offense needs to produce early and keep the saints in passing mode. The passing game is where make plays.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #7
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
While wade and Gary have struggled with the overall aspect of head coaching, I think that both of them know how to get the best out Their respective units of expertise. I also think their personalities mesh well together and I think that behind the scenes they can get a bit more animated.
While I think Wade isn't a great head coach, I do feel like he gets a bad wrap from Cowboys fans. Wade comes across as a guy who treats his players like men and simlpy expects them to do go about their business as professionals. He knows his systems works.

However, I have the feeling that in Dallas, while Wade is a humble guy and expects his players to go out there and play, Jerry Jones was always in their ears telling them how great they were, and this undermined what Wade does as a coach. Hell, that team is still suffering from believing their own hype.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed in one of the threads that I was pretty high on the team after week 2 or 3 or 4, not sure when it was. I said it felt like the team was different and blah blah blah.

This was a good idea, to show the dialogue from last year vs. what is going on now. A guy like CKW is getting flak for saying he sees things that linger from the past seasons of play. He's getting ripped and essentially flagged as being a crazy.

Everybody should just slow down and let's see how the next few weeks play out.

Guarded optimism is the key, IMO.
Old 09-20-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think we have a great shot at winning but we have to score td's early. If we let the saints keep the run as an option it will be tough.
If this is the case, we score early & we take the run away, it will be a shootout. We'll have to score 30+ maybe even 40 to win.

I think our best bet would be to let them think the run is the only thing that works. According to Kubiak, that was the plan against the Dolphins....

But I don't want to get into a shoot out with the Saints.

If only there is some way we can get them to sub in all their 2nd string for the second half....

Old 09-20-2011   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually feel really good about the Texans this year, like before the season even started. I'm not koolaide drunk or anything, but just analyzing things as a fan and I like what I've seen.

They've upgraded positions with major improvements. Wade as DC being the first, because the dude is easily one of the best defensive coaches in the league. His leadership and knowledge is an immediate upgrade to a historically bad defense. And obviously adding Manning and Joseph, along with Watt (love that kid!) has really brought some much needed attitude to our D. And with healthy starters *knocks on wood*, they just need to keep building and keep the momentum gained so far going forward.

As much as I've been critical of Kubiak, I can completely understand McNair's decision this season. With the lock-out looming like a black cloud over the off-season, and a really good offense, we did not need an overhaul.

So yeah...maybe I'm looking back at this post a year from now and saying to myself, "WTF?!", but honestly, where I'm at right now, I think that this is our year to make the playoffs. Part of me is even optimistic enough to wonder if I should start saving some funds for a really pricey playoff ticket in the goat herder section (Gridiron, Tx!), because the division is the Texans to take. They just need to do it.

If they don't make the playoffs...that'll be a shame. Because the stars have never been so aligned for the Texans as they are this season, all things considered.

Old 09-20-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I noticed in one of the threads that I was pretty high on the team after week 2 or 3 or 4, not sure when it was. I said it felt like the team was different and blah blah blah.

This was a good idea, to show the dialogue from last year vs. what is going on now. A guy like CKW is getting flak for saying he sees things that linger from the past seasons of play. He's getting ripped and essentially flagged as being a crazy.

Everybody should just slow down and let's see how the next few weeks play out.

Guarded optimism is the key, IMO.
The truth about last season, is that the things we saw that needed to get fixed, never did. On both sides of the ball. Hell, the year before last, the defense looked terrible for the first three games then turned it around & became one of the better defenses in the league despite the poor showing the first three weeks.

Football outsiders called it before the season started. We were not going to repeat our defensive performance due to injury & that's exactly what happened (along with the mismanagement of those injuries).

Instead of expecting Bently to step up & do the job he was brought here to do, they took Cushing out of his spot & tried to make him the MIKE in a weeks time.

Instead of bringing Pollard up to the LOS where he causes havoc, we had him playing a 2 deep shell.

This year is different. At least the first two games are different than the first two games of 2010. There is plenty to be excited about.
Old 09-20-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Texans needs to be working out more kickers Not too sure if there is a difference here. Dude is still doinking FGs. He did it a couple times this preseason and now in this last game.

Time to get sappy about these Texans!I want to but I'm not going to do it this year. Last year we felt this way because we beat Peyton Manning. This year we aren't respecting the fact we beat a Colts team without Manning and this Dolphin team hasn't been playing to well.
AFC Playbook guys ALL pick the Texans They wont all pick us in week 3 this year.
Last time we went 2-0We all know what happened the last few times we went 2-0. I do feel this team is different but the team needs to have this idea that they have to show people every week and we've never been 3-0.
What I feel are the differences from last year are in Red.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

The next 2 games should say a lot about this team. New Orleans has a dynamic passing attack and a scary interior running game (reminiscent in some ways to the dolphins ) - - - The other is a brute all around.

Indy and Miami were games we shouldve won ,but theyre not teams we would face in the playoffs.

The Texans have been crying wolf for the better part of 9 years. I'm gonna wait 2 more weeks before forming a more optomistic opinion.
Old 09-20-2011   #14
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think that after two games, this season reminds me more of 2007 than it does of 2010. If you'll recall that season, week one saw the Texans decisively beat a KC team that had been to the playoffs the year before, and then come back from a very early 14-0 deficit to score the next 34 points against a decent Carolina team in what turned out to be a pretty impressive 34-21 win. To me this was a better start because as opposed to 2010, we didn't go into week three with all sorts of evidence that our defense was historically bad (even if some chose to ignore that evidence for a little longer).

Unfortunately, that 2-0 start was followed by a close loss to Indy in a game in which AJ was out injured, and an inexcusable loss to an 0-3 Falcons team that was still reeling from losing Vick, and had Joey Harrington playing QB. The Falcons ended up 4-12 that year. Playing the last 12 games at the same .500 clip they'd played the first four theTexans finished 8-8.

I honestly think the loss to Atlanta completely took the wind out of the Texans sails. A loss to Indy in which we were missing our primary offensive weapon, yet still played well was palatable, but I believe losing to a terrible Falcon team caused questions and doubts within inexperienced and immature players that were never overcome.

This year, we have a more talented team, and enough experienced veterans that there' no excuse for not effectively dealing with whatever adversity that comes our way (because adversity will surely come). We have a QB who's got more than 2 starts under his belt coming into the season, and a competent defensive coordinator. I think if we can finish the first quarter of the season 3-1 or better, then it provides a springboard to the rest of the season. The good news is that with the Saints and Pittsburgh coming up, even if we go 2-2, there's not the potential to have another Atlanta game - or even a 2010 Dallas game.

I don't know if things will be different this year or not - if I did, it would actually be incredibly boring. I do know that if it's not different, the Texans can't blame injuries, their schedule, the weather, their inexperience/immaturity or any other factor that is even marginally outside of their control. Whatever happens - good or bad - it's all on them.
Old 09-20-2011   #15
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will do well this year. I think the defensive talent and coordinator have been upgraded enough so that, when combined with the offensive talent, the team will be able to overcome the less than average head coaching with which it has been historically plagued.

I'm also glad no one can say, "didn't you say that last year, and the year before, and the year before that?"

I am fully prepared to be disappointed. I just don't expect to be for a change.
Old 09-20-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If this is the case, we score early & we take the run away, it will be a shootout. We'll have to score 30+ maybe even 40 to win.

I think our best bet would be to let them think the run is the only thing that works. According to Kubiak, that was the plan against the Dolphins....

But I don't want to get into a shoot out with the Saints.

If only there is some way we can get them to sub in all their 2nd string for the second half....

It feels strange to say this, but I like when teams try to pass against us now.

KJ and Joseph have been a good tandem and Quinn and Manning have been been good on the backend. I absolutely love our safeties. Our pass rush has been pretty good too...Including pre-season, we've been pretty damn good against the pass.

Brees and the Saints are a different breed though. they have all kinds of receivers with a wide array of skill sets. Plus they have Brees throwing them the ball. Going to be interesting to see one of the better passing attacks against our secondary.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I honestly have no clue what the Texans are going to do..... same as last year. I know what I'd like for them to do & so far... it looks doable.

But we'll see. 1 game at a time..... 1-0
Old 09-20-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
It feels strange to say this, but I like when teams try to pass against us now.

Quote:
KJ and Joseph have been a good tandem and Quinn and Manning have been been good on the backend. I absolutely love our safeties. Our pass rush has been pretty good too...Including pre-season, we've been pretty damn good against the pass.

Brees and the Saints are a different breed though. they have all kinds of receivers with a wide array of skill sets. Plus they have Brees throwing them the ball. Going to be interesting to see one of the better passing attacks against our secondary.
I'm scurred. I think one bad pass too many & we'll go into a tailspin we can't get out of.

Reminds me again of the DMan show yesterday. He said something to the affect of having to forget the bad plays and move on to the next..... otherwise you're always playing catch-up & end up continuing to make one bad play after another. He said he & JoJo brings the maturity to this defense to not let that happen.

I'd rather not see it tested.
Old 09-20-2011   #19
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 134405 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I actually feel really good about the Texans this year, like before the season even started. I'm not koolaide drunk or anything, but just analyzing things as a fan and I like what I've seen.

They've upgraded positions with major improvements. Wade as DC being the first, because the dude is easily one of the best defensive coaches in the league. His leadership and knowledge is an immediate upgrade to a historically bad defense. And obviously adding Manning and Joseph, along with Watt (love that kid!) has really brought some much needed attitude to our D. And with healthy starters *knocks on wood*, they just need to keep building and keep the momentum gained so far going forward.

As much as I've been critical of Kubiak, I can completely understand McNair's decision this season. With the lock-out looming like a black cloud over the off-season, and a really good offense, we did not need an overhaul.

So yeah...maybe I'm looking back at this post a year from now and saying to myself, "WTF?!", but honestly, where I'm at right now, I think that this is our year to make the playoffs. Part of me is even optimistic enough to wonder if I should start saving some funds for a really pricey playoff ticket in the goat herder section (Gridiron, Tx!), because the division is the Texans to take. They just need to do it.

If they don't make the playoffs...that'll be a shame. Because the stars have never been so aligned for the Texans as they are this season, all things considered.

Yeah me too. I have very guarded optimism. For me I think the season is alot less stressful when your team truly sucks and you know you have no chance in hell to compete. You know the teams fate. I am stressed this season. Happy but stressed.
Old 09-20-2011   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

its just like last year 2-0 and now week 3 going up aganist a even stronger NFC team when compared to last years wk3 matchup

i really think we need to win at least go 1-1 these next two weeks

but if we beat these saints maybe we can ride a cloud of good byes all the way to the Ravens game that game im pretty sure there is no way we can win
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read