Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2011   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default The One Question That Will Remain If The Texans Do Make The Playoffs This Year

The defense is a lot better overall and individual performances are just going to get better on defense as the season goes along. I don't want to count my chickens yet and in football there is always room to grow on both sides of the ball. While we have yet to see if the Texans will or won't go on their annual losing streak to keep them from going to the playoffs and the season is still very young thus far but they have the players to make the playoffs this year. We all know that the 2011 Texans are probably the best team in their ten year history. So if this is indeed the year Kubiak and the team finally proves all of us wrong I think we will be asking, so what took so long to hire a proven DC which it looks like the Texans now seem to have in Wade Phillips? What do you guys think?
Old 09-19-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The One Question That Will Remain If The Texans Do Make The Playoffs This Year

This defense hasn't been tested yet.
Old 09-19-2011   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The One Question That Will Remain If The Texans Do Make The Playoffs This Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They will pretty soon.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There is still a major difference present in the defense though regardless IMO.
Old 09-19-2011   #5
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed. Last season everyone scored on this team. Last season would have been big days for Henne and Collins. So it is still a big difference from last year imo. They may get torn to shreds by Brees...but this is the same Brees that just did the same to the Packers and Bears so it's to be expected.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
There is still a major difference present in the defense though regardless IMO.
Gary, I'm sorry your original post was very well thought out & complete.

What I honestly think though, last year we had the players. Our problem was standing on the sidelines. I truly believe that. With what they did with that group of guys in 2009, and what they did when they were desperate in 2010, I think it was obvious.

I hope Wade had the fortitude to stick to his guns. He signed off on these players to be aggressive and attack the LOS. That's what we need to do.
Old 09-19-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We have had a tremendous turnover in coaching personnel under Kubiak. Sure some left for other opportunites, but I think Gary tried to stick too closely to guys he or his coaches knew in hiring or replacing departing OCs, DCs and their staffs. Anyone think of where we'd be if Wade had remained in Dallas one more year?
Old 09-19-2011   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217648 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The defense is a lot better overall and individual performances are just going to get better on defense as the season goes along. I don't want to count my chickens yet and in football there is always room to grow on both sides of the ball. While we have yet to see if the Texans will or won't go on their annual losing streak to keep them from going to the playoffs and the season is still very young thus far but they have the players to make the playoffs this year. We all know that the 2011 Texans are probably the best team in their ten year history. So if this is indeed the year Kubiak and the team finally proves all of us wrong I think we will be asking, so what took so long to hire a proven DC which it looks like the Texans now seem to have in Wade Phillips? What do you guys think?
There was some talk about this in another thread. My position is two-fold. First, Gary wanted to give some guys a chance to do the job. Second, Gary wanted to give them the chance to truly fail before axing them.

On the first point, Gary initially wanted Bush but Arizona wouldn't let us get him. So Gary went with a secondary choice: Richard Smith. Every year, Richard Smith's defense started like crap (except for the 2nd year, iirc) and then found a way to get better by the end of the season. And every year, Smith had a reason why his defense started off so bad: switching from 3-4 to 4-3 and starting a bunch of rooks, the hurricane, injuries.

Kubiak gave him a chance. That's what I'd want every manager to do. Let the guy prove he's a failure before axing him.

Then he turned to the guy he wanted in the first place: Bush. And we got the same epically bad BS. Even worse, a catastrophic decision made about the defensive backs. I'm assuming here that the decision to go with Kiddie Corners came from Bush and Gibbs. That was their decision to make.

So. Faced with epic failure, either Smithiak OR McNair made the decision to change the strategy and to go with someone with experience.

So it's a question about how long you want to stick with someone before giving up on them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Everything in my book pointed to Frank Bush being a top DC.

I remember thinking we'd lost one of our own when Arizona held him hostage.

He just wasn't.
Old 09-19-2011   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Gary, I'm sorry your original post was very well thought out & complete.

What I honestly think though, last year we had the players. Our problem was standing on the sidelines. I truly believe that. With what they did with that group of guys in 2009, and what they did when they were desperate in 2010, I think it was obvious.

I hope Wade had the fortitude to stick to his guns. He signed off on these players to be aggressive and attack the LOS. That's what we need to do.
That is my point. Even if the players were in place last year or two years ago, where would they be had they had a top tier DC. I admit Gary had lost me at this point but I am definitely willing to eat my words if he makes me eat them.
Old 09-20-2011   #11
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is my point. Even if the players were in place last year or two years ago, where would they be had they had a top tier DC. I admit Gary had lost me at this point but I am definitely willing to eat my words if he makes me eat them.
Well, coulda, shoulda, woulda. In this case, I'm not a fan of the "What if?" game. I don't care.

We would have been stuck with underperforming and overpaid Dunta Robinson eating up too much cap space, would not have JJ Watt burning down the house every Sunday and Jonathan Joseph would still be stuck in Cincy instead of here making our defense better.

Everything happens as it should.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #12
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Well, coulda, shoulda, woulda. In this case, I'm not a fan of the "What if?" game. I don't care.

We would have been stuck with underperforming and overpaid Dunta Robinson eating up too much cap space, would not have JJ Watt burning down the house every Sunday and Jonathan Joseph would still be stuck in Cincy instead of here making our defense better.

Everything happens as it should.
I agree on the dunta thing he really hasn't done well since leaving houston and, bottom line last yr we were missing some vital components. I.e. a Dc and a secondary. Which made it not our year... this yr is different the Run D issue is not as bad as the pass D issue because with our O we should be playing with a lead so running against us is not the best idea nor do I think we will see it that often except maybe in the next few games if we are unable to grab an early lead... also ST seem better and ready to go which is a big part of it .... I REALLY think this team is different, if we had had this exact team last yr we would have made the playoffs and the debate would be what we need to do to get a lambardi, don't forget a majority of the games we lost were lost in the last minute of the game or less by 1 td or less. WE DID THAT WITH A HISTORICALLY BACK DEFENSE...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2011   #13
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I personally think it was scheme last year. Our defense became very reactionary last year and was completely bend but don't break. I remember that it took Bush 12 weeks or so to call his first safety blitz with Pollard. We did nothing to protect the corners from getting torched and we severely undercoached them. The corners were always 10 yards off the ball since they had no safety help either and we ended up playing this soft zone all last year.

Finally, the players seemed to give up on the scheme because the results on the field were so crappy.

I really think that talent wise our defense was good last year, but now we have a lot more depth. Add in a scheme that the players can buy into and put up results and you have a much improved defense. Hell, we actually gameplanned to stop the pass against Miami at the expense of the run (according to Kubes) and we actually did it.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I personally think it was scheme last year. Our defense became very reactionary last year and was completely bend but don't break. I remember that it took Bush 12 weeks or so to call his first safety blitz with Pollard. We did nothing to protect the corners from getting torched and we severely undercoached them. The corners were always 10 yards off the ball since they had no safety help either and we ended up playing this soft zone all last year.

Finally, the players seemed to give up on the scheme because the results on the field were so crappy.

I really think that talent wise our defense was good last year, but now we have a lot more depth. Add in a scheme that the players can buy into and put up results and you have a much improved defense. Hell, we actually gameplanned to stop the pass against Miami at the expense of the run (according to Kubes) and we actually did it.
I completely agree. They were so scared of getting burned that they played a prevent defense as their base D... you can't win like that. You can barely hold on to a lead like that.

They simply didn't trust their players & they rode that horse to the ground.
Old 09-20-2011   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The first year the Texans were looking for a defensive coordinator, there weren't a ton of great options.

When they hired Frank Bush, there still weren't a ton of great options, especially if you want to stick with the 4-3 which is what the Texans wanted to do.

If you go through my archives, it talks about some of the people who were made available to talk to and were being discussed. A pretty ick group.

Bob McNair sort of alluded to this as much as he is specific about anything behind closed doors--said that sometimes you have to be fortunate about whether coaches are available..something along those lines.
Old 09-20-2011   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

There any doubt in my mind that it was time to cut Pollard and Wilson, but how much of their poor play was due to the scheme last year?
Old 09-20-2011   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We wouldn't have JJ Watt if we had played better last year. I honestly believe he's one of the most important pieces on our new team.

I can't remember seeing more than one batted ball in a Texans game prior to him arriving. Sunday I saw multiple.

Drew Brees is 6'. He better put some arc on his throws
Old 09-20-2011   #18
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We wouldn't have JJ Watt if we had played better last year. I honestly believe he's one of the most important pieces on our new team.

I can't remember seeing more than one batted ball in a Texans game prior to him arriving. Sunday I saw multiple.

Drew Brees is 6'. He better put some arc on his throws
Going to be interesting on how Watt/Smith play against the super-beefy NO guards.
Old 09-20-2011   #19
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There any doubt in my mind that it was time to cut Pollard and Wilson, but how much of their poor play was due to the scheme last year?
Are you out of your mind?

The failings of Pollard and Wilson are one and the same with the failings of the OLD coaching staff.

Just be thankful that we haven't got Gary's mates coaching the Defense any more and we haven't got Pollard and Wilson being both incapable and put in a position to fail.

I don't see why you are stating the obvious in this thread? What point are you trying to make?

Surely you don't see there being any debate left to be had about last years secondary so why bring it up now?

We're 2-0, for now...things are on the up, just be thankful and stop bitching about the past.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if this is indeed the year Kubiak and the team finally proves all of us wrong I think we will be asking, so what took so long to hire a proven DC which it looks like the Texans now seem to have in Wade Phillips? What do you guys think?
Until mid-season last year, Wade, who is among the best there is, had a job. When he became available, Bobby Mac went after him.

One could ask why we didn't snag Wade as soon as Jerruh cut him loose - after the second week in November. Remember, at the time we were 4-4 and maybe they thought the season wasn't lost ...yet.

But we all know that it's not Bobby Mac's style (nor Kubiak's) to make major changes mid-season.

Anyway, the gang's all here now. Here's hoping it marks the beginning of a long and fruitful relationship that yields a string of Lombardi trophies.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read