Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2011   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should Butler get a shot a RT?

I know the sky isn't falling when it comes to Winston "AKA The Drive Killer", I realize he is above average at run blocking. However he struggles with Speed Rushers.

However for funs sake do you think Butler should get a shot a RT to put a fire under Winstons ass?

I know Butler is the swing tackle, but I wonder if his skill set is more or a LT than a RT.

Winston has become the Antonio Smith of the O-Line with those Holds.

Thoughts??????
Old 09-19-2011   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should Butler get a shot a RT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I know the sky isn't falling when it comes to Winston "AKA The Drive Killer", I realize he is above average at run blocking. However he struggles with Speed Rushers.

However for funs sake do you think Butler should get a shot a RT to put a fire under Winstons ass?

I know Butler is the swing tackle, but I wonder if his skill set is more or a LT than a RT.

Thoughts??????
Umm...no

Because you already said yourself Butler is more of a LT than a RT, so it doesn't make sense.

Also if you do that we'll have no "swing tackle" on this team to back up both tackle spots. Eric Winston (regardless of playing the position in college) is NOT a NFL LT.

And if Eric Winston was the "Antonio Smith" of the Oline, this thread wouldn't even be here, because that would mean Eric Winston was well on his way towards a probowl appearance.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

Also if you do that we'll have no "swing tackle" on this team to back up both tackle spots. Eric Winston (regardless of playing the position in college) is NOT a NFL LT.
You just changed my mind.

Good Point.
Old 09-19-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

No.

If Winston completely sucks, sure....But I don't think we've reached that point yet, and honestly I doubt we will.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #5
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio Smith is one of the best FA pickups in this teams history, his contract, whilst a good figure, doesn't break the bank, and he has anchored the other side of the line opposite Mario for a number of years where Mario would have suffered big time had we still had (I've forgotten the guys name who he replaced, and I am soooo happy about that because he was awful )

As for Winston, I have floated this idea in the gameday thread but I think LT should be the number one priority in next years draft, moving Brown to RT and give Winston a shot at guard where he could be pretty good for us.

I don't know how others feel about that, and it would depend on who was available with the #32 pick but I can't help but feel that whilst there is nothing too bad about Brown, you could get an upgrade eventually.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #6
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 324 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a creative thing to do that hasn't been discussed, is moving Winston to right guard, and sliding Butler to RT. That would make our O-line better in pass protection. As for running the ball it may make us a little worse. I think it's an interesting thought.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #7
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Antonio Smith is one of the best FA pickups in this teams history, his contract, whilst a good figure, doesn't break the bank, and he has anchored the other side of the line opposite Mario for a number of years where Mario would have suffered big time had we still had (I've forgotten the guys name who he replaced, and I am soooo happy about that because he was awful )

As for Winston, I have floated this idea in the gameday thread but I think LT should be the number one priority in next years draft, moving Brown to RT and give Winston a shot at guard where he could be pretty good for us.

I don't know how others feel about that, and it would depend on who was available with the #32 pick but I can't help but feel that whilst there is nothing too bad about Brown, you could get an upgrade eventually.
I like the idea of drafting another tackle, but really who can you get at the 32nd overall.

Seriously though Winston always has some bonehead drivekilling play. I'm fine with Brown at LT and just drafting a RT.

Also speaking of blitz pickup Ben Tate maybe a great runner but he missed a lot of blitzes Sunday.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2011   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I didn't clarify the Antonio Smsith comment. I meant that Winston is good for a hold or two per game as Smith is always good for an Off Sides or two.

I like Smith, he brings a nasty streak to the team and the D-Line that is needed.
Old 09-19-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I didn't clarify the Antonio Smsith comment. I meant that Winston is good for a hold or two per game as Smith is always good for an Off Sides or two.

I like Smith, he brings a nasty streak to the team and the D-Line that is needed.
Actually, I think holding penalties are pretty rare on this team.

False starts maybe...
Old 09-20-2011   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No.

If Winston completely sucks, sure....But I don't think we've reached that point yet, and honestly I doubt we will.
WInston struggled vs Wake, as did alot of guys last year. He gave up a sack to Mathis...as did alot of guys. I think he can improve, but he is far from a glaring weakness. I think he needs more chips. No shame in it.
Old 09-20-2011   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take a hold over giving up a sack any day.
Old 09-20-2011   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thoughts??????
Thoughts? You do realize that Antonio Smith is our most consistent impact player on the defense right? Not sure why you are trying to knock him.

The old saying is that everyone loves the backup QB. Well now its the backup RT as well. I think Winston is doing fine and will get better as the season goes on. No reason to mess with our starting oline chemistry just because Winston has a few correctable issues.

So my answer would be no.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anthony Weaver, just so you know. He was a pretty funny guy, just never did anything for us after leaving the Ravens.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything put Butler at LT and Brown at RT, even though I know that won't happen.

OL/WR are looking upgradeable, thinking waayyyyy to far ahead to next year's draft. I wonder how Winston and Brown would respond if one or both of them dropped inside to guard. Brown would be special with his athleticism and size. Winston might struggle being so tall but he's so huge I just can't imagine trying to push him around all day.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just get Butler to take over the radio shows for awhile .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Butler was better than Winston, he'd be playing ahead of Winston. And he would have gotten a contract offer from another team in free agency. No, I'm not happy with Winston's pass protection, thus far. But, I also know he's better than Butler, who was dominated in his short stint as a starter in 2010. Kubiak has to adjust and put a TE next to Winston when he faces a speed rusher.
Old 09-20-2011   #17
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Thoughts? You do realize that Antonio Smith is our most consistent impact player on the defense right? Not sure why you are trying to knock him.

The old saying is that everyone loves the backup QB. Well now its the backup RT as well. I think Winston is doing fine and will get better as the season goes on. No reason to mess with our starting oline chemistry just because Winston has a few correctable issues.

So my answer would be no.
I clarified my Antonio comment above. I really like Smith, I was just making a little joke about his false starts compared to Winstons holds.
Old 09-20-2011   #18
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Quote:
Umm...no

Because you already said yourself Butler is more of a LT than a RT, so it doesn't make sense.

And if Eric Winston was the "Antonio Smith" of the Oline, this thread wouldn't even be here, because that would mean Eric Winston was well on his way towards a probowl appearance.
I agree with most of what you said but I would ask shouldn't you put your best 11 players out on the field.
Old 09-20-2011   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Umm...no

You could always move Winston back to RT and Butler to LT if the need arose, which I hope it doesn't.
Old 09-20-2011   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You could always move Winston back to RT and Butler to LT if the need arose, which I hope it doesn't.
This is true. That is what they would have to do if they made that move.

I just don't like the idea of replacing Winston at RT...I'd rather give him some help. For as shaky as he is in pass protection, he's even more valuable in the running game and I like running the football. Don't really feel like messing with our run blocking too much more than we already have, since we already lost Leach.

There's no question that his play needs to pick up though. Cameron Wake turned him inside and out, but speed rushers have always done that to him.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read