Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2011   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Time to see if we are for real.

2-0 is sweet, but everyone remembers last season. Now we get to play the Saints and get our first test against an elite team. This will be one helluva measuring stick.

We all know about the Brees and the passing game, but the Saints also have a pretty solid running game this season. I bet Wade and the defensive staff are gonna lose some sleep this week. Hopefully JJo's ankle will be good enough to go on, because we're gonna need all hands on deck and probably stay in nickel the whole game. Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas are the wild cards in this. Sean Payton might decide to see how good his running game is since we're sporting a new defense that is really getting after QB's. We just put 4 quarters of less than stellar run D on film and we have to respect the pass first and foremost, so Payton could very well use some draws and runs up the middle and take advantage of our lack of a true NT.

On defense, the Saints are as blitz happy as they come. We put 4 quarters of less than stellar blitz pickups on film today, especially in the 3rd quarter and early 4th. You can bet your azz that Gregg Williams will be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at us. If we're able to make the right adjustments and burn those blitzes a few times, we stand to make a game of it. If not, we're in for a long day. Hopefully, Kubiak will do what he did today and open it up when the Saints defense starts dictating our offense. We have playmakers on offense, so let them make plays and do what stars do: win football games.

I really think we can win this game. If we can burn them on blitzes a few times, our offense can hang with theirs.
What do y'all think?
Old 09-19-2011   #2
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: Time to see if we are for real.

Given the choice of this game or the week after for a loss, I'll pick this one. Not saying a win in both would be amazing, but I'm not expecting that.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Given the choice of this game or the week after for a loss, I'll pick this one. Not saying a win in both would be amazing, but I'm not expecting that.
I want to see us compete and, if we're on the losing end of things, have the outcome in doubt until the final whistle. If we can do that, it's a fair bet that we are for real and there are great things in our future. If we get blown out, not so much.
It's always better to lose a non-conference game, It doesn't hurt so much with tie breakers. I also expect us to do pretty OK against the Steelers. I think they are vulnerable this year. Their OL isn't looking very good and their D is getting long in the tooth. I think they will be good in spurts, but not for 16 games.
Old 09-19-2011   #4
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I agree, I just want to feel after the game that they competed well, and had a chance to pull it out. A blowout will throw this fanbase into a frenzy... myself included.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I agree, I just want to feel after the game that they competed well, and had a chance to pull it out. A blowout will throw this fanbase into a frenzy... myself included.
If we get blown out, Ima do something crazy like suggest we trade Mario Williams!!
Old 09-19-2011   #6
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously this game will not necessarily make or break our season, We all looked at the schedule and knew it was a tough start, and the Saints are probably the best team we'll face this season and if you look past this week we still play the Ravens, Steelers and Falcons but apart from those 3 games we haven't got a difficult schedule overall.

Watching the game yesterday it became clear to me that Wade's defence, as respectable as it looked in week 1, still has a lot to work on which will come in time, so if we can get away with at least 1 win from the next 2 games I'll be happy as Larry.

The real issue is whether or not Schaub can sort out his red zone funk. I remember when he first came to Houston he seemed to throw a lot of turnovers in the red zone which hurt us big time, it seems like Kubiak has moved towards limiting the turnover potential in that area of the field at the expense of some of the creativity required to get it in.

I think the issues we've seen are probably a product of the shortened pre-season and Schaub will also improve as the weeks go by.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #7
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If we get blown out, Ima do something crazy like suggest we trade Mario Williams!!
Just release him. It'll send a message to the rest of the team
Old 09-19-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Obviously this game will not necessarily make or break our season, We all looked at the schedule and knew it was a tough start, and the Saints are probably the best team we'll face this season and if you look past this week we still play the Ravens, Steelers and Falcons but apart from those 3 games we haven't got a difficult schedule overall.

Watching the game yesterday it became clear to me that Wade's defence, as respectable as it looked in week 1, still has a lot to work on which will come in time, so if we can get away with at least 1 win from the next 2 games I'll be happy as Larry.

The real issue is whether or not Schaub can sort out his red zone funk. I remember when he first came to Houston he seemed to throw a lot of turnovers in the red zone which hurt us big time, it seems like Kubiak has moved towards limiting the turnover potential in that area of the field at the expense of some of the creativity required to get it in.

I think the issues we've seen are probably a product of the shortened pre-season and Schaub will also improve as the weeks go by.
I don't think Schaub was the big red zone problem today. We got outplayed at the point of attack and found out that we can't impose our will on better DL's and we need to be flexible in our goal line approach. We were very conservative inside the redzone today. Those are problems that will show themselves during fil study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Just release him. It'll send a message to the rest of the team
I thought about that, but do we really want to be a copycat coaching staff of Tony Soprano?
Old 09-19-2011   #9
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

I agree with the above. I'm not confident that we can win both games. If we beat up on the Saints I'm afraid that they will be complacent against the Steelers and lose that one...If they can pull off wins in both games I will be estatic and everyone will see that the Texans are the real thing!!

That being said-we have three tough games in the next four then really only one more in the rest of the season. It's still looking good.
Old 09-19-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
I agree with the above. I'm not confident that we can win both games. If we beat up on the Saints I'm afraid that they will be complacent against the Steelers and lose that one...If they can pull off wins in both games I will be estatic and everyone will see that the Texans are the real thing!!

That being said-we have three tough games in the next four then really only one more in the rest of the season. It's still looking good.
The Raiders look for real and the tAcks just manhandled the Ravens. I'm seeing fewer "gimme" games on the schedule as the weeks go by. Too bad we don't get the Bungles or Panthers earlier in the year.
Old 09-19-2011   #11
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The Raiders look for real and the tAcks just manhandled the Ravens. I'm seeing fewer "gimme" games on the schedule as the weeks go by. Too bad we don't get the Bungles or Panthers earlier in the year.
But those are still in the next four. Those will be tough, no doubt. I just don't see much to be overly concerned about after that. Now this is still the Texans so anything could happen but I'm feeling pretty optimistic this morning. All is right in the world-Texans 2-0 and Dolts 0-2!!
Old 09-19-2011   #12
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But those are still in the next four. Those will be tough, no doubt. I just don't see much to be overly concerned about after that. Now this is still the Texans so anything could happen but I'm feeling pretty optimistic this morning. All is right in the world-Texans 2-0 and Dolts 0-2!!
You can only beat whats in front of you and the Texans have done that so far, I think its only natural to feel a little nervous at this stage of the season especially given what happened 12 months ago.

I really hope the coaches are on the players this week though, the 'phins managed to exploit us in certain situations and it was probably a good thing since we still got the W because the Colts didn't test us in week 1, so they have a bit more to work which will help us going forward.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan View Post
what if for mirage
what if what for mirage?
Old 09-19-2011   #14
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Saints' D is predicated on turnovers and Darren Sharper not being there really hurts that. I'm not very confident in them stopping our offense, especially if we can get Walter back for it.

They have a solid running game, but ours is even better. Would like to see Foster play if he can. No weather indoors that can bother him too much.

I say be aggressive on Brees. Blitz if you can. Bears got shredded yesterday playing that bend-but-dont-break stuff.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very concerned about JJoe's ankle/availability for the Saints game.
Old 09-19-2011   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Saints' D is predicated on turnovers and Darren Sharper not being there really hurts that. I'm not very confident in them stopping our offense, especially if we can get Walter back for it.

They have a solid running game, but ours is even better. Would like to see Foster play if he can. No weather indoors that can bother him too much.

I say be aggressive on Brees. Blitz if you can. Bears got shredded yesterday playing that bend-but-dont-break stuff.
That is a very naive and optimistic view of this game. The Saints turnovers must be caused. NFL QB's don't just throw interceptions to please a defense nor do RB's fumble the ball for that reason. Turnovers are caused and you can't predicate a defense on getting turnovers. You can have a defense that is opportunistic, but you can't depend on turnovers.
Our coaching staff will be tested in this game moreso than our players. We have the talent. Do we have the leadership?
Old 09-19-2011   #17
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what I mean. The Saints D is opportunistic, and not having Darren Sharper hurts their opportunistic ways.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
That's what I mean. The Saints D is opportunistic, and not having Darren Sharper hurts their opportunistic ways.
OK, but to say a defense is predicated on turnovers is silly. Defenses can be predicated on stoping the run or pressuring the QB and both of those can lead to turnovers, but you can't rely on them like you can a great pass rusher or run stuffer. Turnovers are a by-product of good gameplanning but all the gameplanning in the world can't gaurantee them.
Old 09-19-2011   #19
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Saint's D is a bend-don't break, big play v big play, pressure oriented D.. Lots of blitzes from lots of places, if they get there, big play by D..If Offense gets the ball out to right spot, big play O. Wrong read, turnover.
Old 09-19-2011   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Personally, I can't imagine any scenario where the Texans are complacent about a game against the Steelers.
Regardless of what happens vs NO, the Texans will be expecting a war against Pitt.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read