Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2005   #1
Negative Jesus
Rookie

Default Glenn Given Permission To Seek Trade

I just saw on Fox 26 that Aaron Glenn has been given permission to seek a trade . Anyone else catch this ?

Superjoint Ritual
Negative Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #2
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88

I think It's for the best that Glenn goes to another team since we now have a young corner in Buchanon.........
Old 04-24-2005   #3
Holden135
Veteran

i wonder if we could trade him for someone that has already been drafted today. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round wr.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see it, but if it true, I'll keep it concise and say that I don't like the direction the organization is headed...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #5
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Really hoping that's not the case....I'd hate to lose Glenn.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #6
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

great!!! get rid of our class guys and pick up punks.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #7
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

I really hope we don't let Aaron go. He's a stand-up guy and really represents this organization well. Yeah, he's getting old, but I think we owe it to him to let him finish his career here if he wants to. Yeah, we have Buchanon, but wouldn't it be great if he could learn from Aaron for at least a year before we start him? He didn't really have a mentor in Oakland did he?
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2005   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I am going to be extremely negative about this if this is true. Sharper was one thing, but I can't understand how they could let Glenn go. As I was talking to aj this morning, I believe even with a trade, we would still have to absorb 4 million on this years cap.
Bad move.

Glenn can groom PB...not Dunta or Faggins. The combination of Glenn/DR/and PB is one of the best secondarys in the NFL...now we would become average.

I honestly don't know how this team will have improved from last season if this IS true. Sounds like Capers doesn't want to keep his job...and for us to post another sub .500 record.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #9
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Don't do it houston!

For your own sake, keep this guy around. Who will mentor Buchanon if he's gone? Dunta? Don't let the inmates run the asylum, keep a few guards on staff.
Old 04-24-2005   #10
Negative Jesus
Rookie

It was a scoop from Berman , and hes usually 100 % legit . I too don't like the direction that the team is headed . It would have been nice to have Aaron and Phillip in the backfield . I just hope that somehow , someway , this whole last week of confusing and questionable moves pans out and starts to make some kind of sense .

Superjoint Ritual
Old 04-24-2005   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Jay Foreman, Jamie Sharper, and Aaron Glenn all leaving would make me really mad. Three of the best players we had and we have already lost two. If AG left, I would be extremely dissapointed. CB is the one position the Texans look like they have a leg up on everyone else and if AG leaves then it won't be the same.
TexanFan881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #12
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

i'm very disappointed with this choice....i cant believe there gettin rid of the guys that actually know how to play the game and now how do read and pick apart the defense. he woulda been great out there with D-rob and pb. and been a great mentor. i hope he stays which i dont know how likley that would be. i wonder wat this organization is thinking? is someone else up thier besides mcnair and casserly callin all the plays or wat?
Old 04-24-2005   #13
LBblitz
Veteran

I dont think glenn will go (fingers crossed). We need leadership and he can still be a dominant CB which we will need to combat Indy...the jags got that matt jones kid...he could be trouble.
Old 04-24-2005   #14
SA Fan
Rookie

I don't think any other team would be willing to take his cap hit given his age.
but it is disturbing that Gelnn felt the need to ask for a trade and the team felt they could give it to him.

I disagree with trading glen wholeheartedly
SA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't know much more than rumor and assumption right now. We probably need to wait till we know more of this story until we come apart at the seams.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #16
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 11734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
We don't know much more than rumor and assumption right now. We probably need to wait till we know more of this story until we come apart at the seams.

hope your right. even though he was showing a few signs of slowing down i think he should be a player they keep around as long as possible.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #17
Negative Jesus
Rookie

April 24, 2005, 12:10AM
This message hard to miss
By RICHARD JUSTICE
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman are gone. Aaron Glenn probably will be next. And if Gary Walker didn't get the message, he's not paying attention.

No, the Texans didn't get the player they most wanted in Saturday's NFL draft. They didn't even attempt to sell that story.

South Carolina wide receiver Troy Williamson had the speed and playmaking ability to have an immediate impact. Once he was off the board, the Texans knew this offseason would have some unfinished business.

They got better anyway.

"We've added speed and athletic ability to our defense," Texans coach Dom Capers said. "There's no doubt in my mind we strengthened our football team."

They walked into their draft room Saturday morning with the 13th pick of the first round. They hoped against hope that Williamson would slide to them.

He would have given them the kind of speed they'd love to have opposite Andre Johnson. He would have forced defenses to give Johnson more single coverage and eased the blitz pressure on David Carr.

When the Minnesota Vikings took Williamson with the seventh pick of the day, the Texans scrambled to Plan B.

As general manager Charley Casserly said: "You can't fix everything. You just keep making good decisions and moving forward. If we continue to acquire good football players, we'll be in good shape."

What the Texans did after Williamson was gone speaks well of an organization that has done almost everything right in its three seasons. One of the easiest things for a young organization is to do what's popular instead of what's right.

The Texans appear to have done what's right. If nothing else, they showed how much confidence they have in their blueprint.

They didn't panic. They didn't reach for a player simply to fill a need.

They didn't take Oklahoma offensive tackle Jammal Brown, Florida State offensive tackle Alex Barron or OU wide receiver Mark Clayton. All three could have filled more pressing needs, but they had huge doubts about them.

They didn't take Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson, either. They said all the right things about him because they're sensitive to the many ticket-buying Orangebloods. In the end, though, they have serious doubts about how good he'll be and how he'd fit into their 3-4 defense.

Instead, they moved from 13 to 16, picked up a third-round pick in 2006 and took Florida State defensive tackle Travis Johnson. He seems a huge risk because of off-the-field issues, including a sexual assault charge.

He was acquitted of that charge, and the Texans say they looked into other issues. If nothing else, the notion that the Texans want only Boy Scouts is off the table since Johnson was said to have took a swing at a Minnesota Vikings coach during one of his pre-draft NFL workouts.

"We wouldn't have brought a player in here if there were serious issues," Casserly said. "We researched this thing to death. Everyone said good things about him. We're comfortable he'll fit in here."

Johnson likely will play immediately as part of a three-man tackle rotation with Robaire Smith and Walker. But he won't have the impact that, say, a wide receiver could have. He won't shore up the offensive line, either.

Johnson's arrival means the pressure is on Walker to play better. It's also an admission, of sorts, that the Texans blew it last year when they handed him an $11 million signing bonus.

Glenn is in a more precarious position. With the arrival of cornerback Philip Buchanan in last week's trade with the Raiders, Glenn has been given permission to negotiate with other teams. It seems unlikely he'll return as a backup to Buchanan.

Foreman and Sharper left as part of a linebacker shuffling in which free agent Morlon Greenwood was signed and Antwan Peek inserted as an outside linebacker.

The Texans finished last season 23rd in total defense and 16th in points allowed. They gave up just three touchdowns in their last four games and went 13 quarters without surrendering one.

As Jason Babin and Dunta Robinson got better, as Seth Payne became more healthy, the Texans became more than respectable.

"That's the kind of defense I've wanted us to play since I got here," Capers said.

Now they're even better. They've got a pair of shutdown corners in Buchanan and Robinson. They've got two potential impact pass rushers on the outside in Babin and Peek. And if Johnson creates havoc inside, the Texans may be on their way to being the defense-first team Capers wants.

These moves guarantee them nothing. Ask them about the playoffs, and they remind you they've gotten better every year and that they play in one of the NFL's toughest divisions.

"I think we're right in the middle," Casserly said. "We're not New England, but we're not at the bottom, either. We were 7-9 last season and lost to Minnesota in overtime and Green Bay at the end of the fourth quarter. I think we can compete every week."

Dang !! This dosen't look good .

Superjoint Ritual
Old 04-24-2005   #18
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

less typing--
chron.com
Old 04-24-2005   #19
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

LINK

Quote:
The Texans, who wrapped up day one of their draft by selecting Oklahoma State running back Vernand Morency in the third round, got younger at cornerback last week when they traded a second- and a third-round pick to Oakland in exchange for Phillip Buchanon, and on Saturday, a source said veteran cornerback Aaron Glenn had been given permission to seek a trade, raising doubt as to whether the 33-year-old cornerback will be a Texan this season.
LINK

Quote:
Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman are gone. Aaron Glenn probably will be next. And if Gary Walker didn't get the message, he's not paying attention.
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005   #20
Negative Jesus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
less typing--
chron.com

dang man my bad , I was just trying to help out the lazy folks .

Superjoint Ritual

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read