Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Plays or players that stand out to you vs Miami

Well now I understand that old mantra "take one game at a time". I think Mario was very effective today as was Watt. I think JJ looked much better as a WR.
Old 09-18-2011   #2
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Plays or players that stand out to you vs Miami

tate. he's showing us we don't have to be scared about not having arian.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 148026 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate, Watt, and Joseph. In Joseph's case as impressive as I felt he was, I was even more impressed when he was out. I wonder what the numbers where with him in/out of the game (still realizing there are 10 other guys out there).

Oh, and tackle of the day nominee, the stick Quinn laid down with Houston deep in their own territory. Cushing's hammering on Henne was fun too.
Old 09-18-2011   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

JJ Swatt!
Old 09-18-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Dolphins were "battered" and fried.
Old 09-18-2011   #6
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate, Watt, Hartmann, Joseph.

Tate - Runs hard. Hits the holes. Makes life easier if Arian misses more time.

Watt - Great motor. Gets his hands up. It's going to be scary as he improves.

Hartmann - Yeah, I know he's a punter, but he set a record for longest punt in Texans history and put them inside the 10 3 times and on the 12 once. His other 2 punts were from deep in our own territory and in years past would have meant they started at our 45. He also kicked into the end zone on each kickoff.

Joseph - Because we see how bad we could be if he's out. It forces Allen in and the only time he should be on the field is if we're in Quarters 6 deep prevent. even then I might feel safer with Mario as that 7th DB.
Old 09-18-2011   #7
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quinn, Mario, Cushing, Manning, Wade Smith, Tate, our new punter Hartmann. I thought the kid had a great game today. 48 yard average and 2 inside the 10 yard line. Couldn't ask more of him today.

Schaub is going to have to bring his "A" game the next few weeks. He's been just good enough to win so far. Expect NO to blitz him big time after he showed zero mobility in the pocket today.
Old 09-18-2011   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

1.) Troy Nolan.

Brandon Marshall was trying to stiff-arm Troy Nolan, and might have broken off a patented "Brandon Marshall highlight reel" play had it not been for Nolan very wisely grabbing the entire arm, with both hands, and using Marshall's stiff-arm against him.

I don't know if that's what coaches are teaching the guys, in any level of football, or if it was Nolan's instincts, but nevertheless it should be a taught technique NOW. He dragged Marshall down because of it. Even Brandon Marshall got up after the tackle and looked a bit perplexed that he was tackled by little Troy Nolan of the Texans. Agree?

2.) Brian Cushing.

He played himself out of stopping Thomas on one play. He didn't seal the backside edge, and he got blocked out of the play on a nice run by the Dolphins' RB.

With that play out of the way, however, I saw him making lots of stuffs in the middle. The 3rd and long play where Henne scrambles and Cushing just drills him in the back, stopping Henne dead cold from the 1st down marker was, IMO, the game-changing play that sealed it for us.

3.) Mario Williams.

Mario was being HELD so damn much, I was screaming at the TV. There was one play where he was held the whole way and the ref misses it the whole way. Or he would have sacked Henne.

Mario was pressuring Henne. He nipped Henne's arm on the pass play where J-Joseph intercepts the ball because of Mario's shot on Henne's arm.

4.) Schaub.

No "WTF???" moment for Schaub.

THAT is a good sign. No brain fart moments for him.

5.) AJ.

Uh, this is why I drafted him 6th overall in my FFL draft. He is a beast when he is targeted often. He loves playing the Dolphins. It's the residue of his Miami U days, I think. It lingers and he absorbs it out of the air and uses it for his strength and awesome talent against the Dolphins. He-Man.

The long catch over his shoulder, where he finger-tip catches it (in stride!) was Canton, OH Hall of Fame stuff. Period. HALL OF FAME STUFF.

6.) Ben "Kickin' Their Ass" Tate

He was a grinder today. He would bust through the LOS and with a slight "hip shift" while still running downhill he'd be gone for 5 or 6 or 9 yards.

The twisting, churning run on like 3rd and short was mind-boggling. With the camera angle I had on my TV, it looked like he went down juuust short of the marker...but he didn't. I was on the roof when they called "1st down!" after that play. Hit rewind just to see it again.

7.) Joe Marciano's special teams.

No "WTF?" moment there. Two straight games with solid ST play from Joe Ma's squad.

And a +1 to Kubiak for axing Maynard and bringing Hartmann back as the punter. We need the bigger leg of Hartmann's.

8.) Our two free agency acquisitions in the secondary.

No need to name them. You know who they are. They were near the ball, they were never soundly beaten on multiple plays like we had all last season.
Old 09-18-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
Tate, Watt, Hartmann, Joseph.

Tate - Runs hard. Hits the holes. Makes life easier if Arian misses more time.

Watt - Great motor. Gets his hands up. It's going to be scary as he improves.

Hartmann - Yeah, I know he's a punter, but he set a record for longest punt in Texans history and put them inside the 10 3 times and on the 12 once. His other 2 punts were from deep in our own territory and in years past would have meant they started at our 45. He also kicked into the end zone on each kickoff.

Joseph - Because we see how bad we could be if he's out. It forces Allen in and the only time he should be on the field is if we're in Quarters 6 deep prevent. even then I might feel safer with Mario as that 7th DB.
I could stand to see some more 69 yard punts. Could that be longest in Houston (Oilers included) history? I think so. I believe Hartmann will do better when he settles in. He has to be nervous after being cut then re-signed.
Old 09-18-2011   #10
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan View Post
The 25yds gain that Ca-reem gave up to a 3rd string nobody that ultimately put the dolphins within 3; we were beating them down the entire game up until that game-changing play.
Lol wow. Obviously you root for the guy to fail. Don't get how fans can do that.

Any ways the defense overall for causing TOs. Each of those TOs were the reason we won the game so one for Mario and J.J for the deflection/INT and another for Kareem and Quinn for the FF and recovery. We don't get those we probably lose this game.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #11
Ckw

Good reasons: Tate, Jacoby, Mario, Cushing, Watt

Bad reasons: Winston & Duane Brown (both looked bad in pass protection), Schaub (looked rattled and isn't taking control of the game like he should), Shaun Cody/Earl Mitchell (RBs are able to just pound it up the middle on us), Demeco (did he even show up to the game today?)
Old 09-18-2011   #12
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
3.) Mario Williams.

Mario was being HELD so damn much, I was screaming at the TV. There was one play where he was held the whole way and the ref misses it the whole way. Or he would have sacked Henne.

Mario was pressuring Henne. He nipped Henne's arm on the pass play where J-Joseph intercepts the ball because of Mario's shot on Henne's arm.
This. I saw two times at least where it looked clear as day that he was being held.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Game ball Tate offense & Quin defense.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Braman on special teams - twice.

First was the nice punt return by Jones. Braman got real close to blocking the punt then got himself back in the play earholed a would be tackler along the sidelines.

Next was on kick coverage I believe .... the returter brought it out from deep and was stopped inside the 10 - Braman in on the tackle.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Quinn, Mario, Cushing, Manning, Wade Smith, Tate, our new punter Hartmann. I thought the kid had a great game today. 48 yard average and 2 inside the 10 yard line. Couldn't ask more of him today.

Schaub is going to have to bring his "A" game the next few weeks. He's been just good enough to win so far. Expect NO to blitz him big time after he showed zero mobility in the pocket today.
Qb rating was 118 someone said with two TDs and no INTs. He did not force any throws either. I'll take this every game.
Old 09-18-2011   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

You could tell when Mario went out, cause Reed isn't really ready. Got caught going to far inside and didn't hold the edge. Mario was held a bunch, and though he had no sacks, the pick was a great play by him.

Kareem had a solid game IMO. The catch on the sideline was a great play, that ended up being trumped by a great catch.

Quinn is pretty dominate at safety. He laid the wood and was very active.

This small nose tackle shit should be over. They have to go out and find a fat boy to clog the middle. Like mitchel a's a spell dt, but damn.

Smith & Watt are very good. Disruptive and active
Old 09-18-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Ok, one that no one has mentioned; Gary Kubiak for not throwing red flag and listening to his ear piece. No time managment problems.
Old 09-18-2011   #18
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok, one that no one has mentioned; Gary Kubiak for not throwing red flag and listening to his ear piece. No time managment problems.
LOL Gary is a given. Every Sunday! But thanks for the chuckle
Old 09-18-2011   #19
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Tate, Watt, and Joseph. In Joseph's case as impressive as I felt he was, I was even more impressed when he was out. I wonder what the numbers where with him in/out of the game (still realizing there are 10 other guys out there).

Oh, and tackle of the day nominee, the stick Quinn laid down with Houston deep in their own territory. Cushing's hammering on Henne was fun too.
I agree with all of those for positives.

My negative was the offensive line with regards to pass blocking. Winston got his lunch money stolen today and Brown completely whiffed on a rush that resulted in a sack. They better get their shit together. I thought they did great run blocking.

Slaton sucks. He's a huge drop off from Foster & Tate and I just have no faith with him in the backfield.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011   #20
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Positive: Schaub. I kept waiting for that one dumb pass that would inevitably end up in an interception. And it never happened!

Negative: Winston. He KILLED a drive with a holding penalty, seemed like his name was being called all game, which is a BAD thing to have when it's an offensive lineman.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read