Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Major advantage of having 4 RBs on the roster

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I'm sure that this point has been brought up a lot here, but, keeping 4 RBs gives the Texans a huge advantage. I know some fans have balked at the idea of keeping Slaton (or Slayton, as he's known to some of you), but to think about it, doing so allows us to never really have to force a RB to play injured at least for the early part of the season. Thus, if we are good enough to finally make the playoffs, we will have a stable of backs that are well rested and ready to take the beating of whichever physical defense we play at that time.

This is assuming that Slaton's fumblitis was a result of the injury he sustained to his nerve and not as a result of him having bad ball skills and that Tate's fumble was an aberration, and that none of them sustain a season ending injury.

I'm sure that this point has been brought up a lot here, but, keeping 4 RBs gives the Texans a huge advantage. I know some fans have balked at the idea of keeping Slaton (or Slayton, as he's known to some of you), but to think about it, doing so allows us to never really have to force a RB to play injured at least for the early part of the season. Thus, if we are good enough to finally make the playoffs, we will have a stable of backs that are well rested and ready to take the beating of whichever physical defense we play at that time.

This is assuming that Slaton's fumblitis was a result of the injury he sustained to his nerve and not as a result of him having bad ball skills and that Tate's fumble was an aberration, and that none of them sustain a season ending injury.
I still haven't seen a "Slatons" yet, but I am waiting for it!

I also like carrying 4 running backs into a game each week. Not only does it keep you healthy and rested, but allows for diversity like Slaton.

dinkatoid

Waterboy
I still haven't seen a "Slatons" yet, but I am waiting for it!

I also like carrying 4 running backs into a game each week. Not only does it keep you healthy and rested, but allows for diversity like Slaton.
Speaking of diversity, I am sort of surprised we do not use Slaton in a similar manner to how NO uses Sproles. Throw him out there in third and short as a possible screen target. He can run or catch, you can send him out wide, etc. It just is another thing to watch for. With Casey, we can really screw them too with adjusting from an i formation to flanking both the fb and rb out wide.

Ps. Post 100! Only took 2 years...

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Speaking of diversity, I am sort of surprised we do not use Slaton in a similar manner to how NO uses Sproles. Throw him out there in third and short as a possible screen target. He can run or catch, you can send him out wide, etc. It just is another thing to watch for. With Casey, we can really screw them too with adjusting from an i formation to flanking both the fb and rb out wide.

Ps. Post 100! Only took 2 years...
Even if he could play a Sproles role, I'm not convinced he's solved his holding onto the ball issues. If that's the case, I don't need to see him on the field.

Besides, that #23 isn't too shabby in the pass game either and I'd much rather see him on a screen in open field.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't know if we're going to keep Slaton past the Trade Deadline. But to me, it's always been about depth. RB is one of the most brutal positions if not the most brutal, Foster's nicked, Ward's nicked & we've still got 18 games to go.