Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2011   #1
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Major advantage of having 4 RBs on the roster

I'm sure that this point has been brought up a lot here, but, keeping 4 RBs gives the Texans a huge advantage. I know some fans have balked at the idea of keeping Slaton (or Slayton, as he's known to some of you), but to think about it, doing so allows us to never really have to force a RB to play injured at least for the early part of the season. Thus, if we are good enough to finally make the playoffs, we will have a stable of backs that are well rested and ready to take the beating of whichever physical defense we play at that time.

This is assuming that Slaton's fumblitis was a result of the injury he sustained to his nerve and not as a result of him having bad ball skills and that Tate's fumble was an aberration, and that none of them sustain a season ending injury.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #2
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Major advantage of having 4 RBs on the roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
I'm sure that this point has been brought up a lot here, but, keeping 4 RBs gives the Texans a huge advantage. I know some fans have balked at the idea of keeping Slaton (or Slayton, as he's known to some of you), but to think about it, doing so allows us to never really have to force a RB to play injured at least for the early part of the season. Thus, if we are good enough to finally make the playoffs, we will have a stable of backs that are well rested and ready to take the beating of whichever physical defense we play at that time.

This is assuming that Slaton's fumblitis was a result of the injury he sustained to his nerve and not as a result of him having bad ball skills and that Tate's fumble was an aberration, and that none of them sustain a season ending injury.
I still haven't seen a "Slatons" yet, but I am waiting for it!

I also like carrying 4 running backs into a game each week. Not only does it keep you healthy and rested, but allows for diversity like Slaton.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #3
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
I still haven't seen a "Slatons" yet, but I am waiting for it!

I also like carrying 4 running backs into a game each week. Not only does it keep you healthy and rested, but allows for diversity like Slaton.
Speaking of diversity, I am sort of surprised we do not use Slaton in a similar manner to how NO uses Sproles. Throw him out there in third and short as a possible screen target. He can run or catch, you can send him out wide, etc. It just is another thing to watch for. With Casey, we can really screw them too with adjusting from an i formation to flanking both the fb and rb out wide.

Ps. Post 100! Only took 2 years...
Old 09-17-2011   #4
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52700 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkatoid View Post
Speaking of diversity, I am sort of surprised we do not use Slaton in a similar manner to how NO uses Sproles. Throw him out there in third and short as a possible screen target. He can run or catch, you can send him out wide, etc. It just is another thing to watch for. With Casey, we can really screw them too with adjusting from an i formation to flanking both the fb and rb out wide.

Ps. Post 100! Only took 2 years...
Even if he could play a Sproles role, I'm not convinced he's solved his holding onto the ball issues. If that's the case, I don't need to see him on the field.

Besides, that #23 isn't too shabby in the pass game either and I'd much rather see him on a screen in open field.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't know if we're going to keep Slaton past the Trade Deadline. But to me, it's always been about depth. RB is one of the most brutal positions if not the most brutal, Foster's nicked, Ward's nicked & we've still got 18 games to go.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read