Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who's going to win this Match-up
Eric Winston 27 52.94%
Cameron Wake 24 47.06%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Eric Winston vs Cameron Wake

Cameron Wake had a good season in 2010..... a very good season, 14 sacks. They'll flip him around, sometimes he's going to play Duane Brown on the left side, but I think he'll play predominately on the right, vs Eric. Sure, he'll go against OD, Dressen, & Casey on occasion.

I honestly am not worried about those other guys, my concern is Eric Winston. I think he's going to struggle. What do you think?
Old 09-15-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston vs Cameron Wake

Kubiak isn't going to just drop Schaub back all day and ask the caveman to pass block all day.

But that pass blocking play against Mathis last week was u-g-l-y.

Winston could really get Schaub hurt if he's giving up those kinds of sacks where the defender basically has a free shot on him and schaub's expecting him to be to be blocked.

That said, I think Winston wins overall...Even if he gives up one sack, I think he will win in the run game and on most pass plays simply because of design...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

What exactly constitutes 'winning the matchup'? Last week Winston allowed 1 sack, had a holding penalty and I think he had 1 false start. Not sure what else you could count against him. Anyways, did he 'win' the matchup against Mathis?
Old 09-15-2011   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
What exactly constitutes 'winning the matchup'? Last week Winston allowed 1 sack, had a holding penalty and I think he had 1 false start. Not sure what else you could count against him. Anyways, did he 'win' the matchup against Mathis?
I would call last week winning....I'm not sure about this week though, I hope I'm wrong about my vote.

Wake looked insane strong against the Pats.
Old 09-15-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That said, I think Winston wins overall...Even if he gives up one sack, I think he will win in the run game and on most pass plays simply because of design...
Good way of looking at it.
Old 09-15-2011   #6
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked Wake for the head-to-head matchup. However, I don't think that Winston will go without help the whole game, especially if he gets beat early.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I refuse to vote on the grounds that....well, I'm too sexy for this thread.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2011   #8
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Last week Winston allowed 1 sack.
Winston said he thought he was going to have help on that play so he took Mathis on the inside. The running back either helped Brown or picked up a blitz. Winston took the blame.
Old 09-15-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I picked Wake for the head-to-head matchup. However, I don't think that Winston will go without help the whole game, especially if he gets beat early.
I agree with this. I think the Texans will use use some screens, draws and bootlegs to take Wake out of his comfort zone, but I still think head to head, Wake>Winston on passing plays.
Old 09-15-2011   #10
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston did fine when he faced wake during his rookie season so i thnk he will do fine

wake is prob a better pass rusher then mathis tho so winston will have a challenge
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #11
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
Winston said he thought he was going to have help on that play so he took Mathis on the inside. The running back either helped Brown or picked up a blitz. Winston took the blame.
Yeah well winston has been making some serious mental mistakes recently. He was also supposed to cut Ahmad Brooks on the first play in the SF-49ers game.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #12
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 24997 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted for Eric Winston only because I want to remain an optimist.

I still have yet to see Winston prove to us here that he's a good pass blocker.
Old 09-15-2011   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I voted for Eric Winston only because I want to remain an optimist.

I still have yet to see Winston prove to us here that he's a good pass blocker.
He won't ever be that but Kubiak makes up for it because he knows that.
Old 09-16-2011   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i went wake because if winston's on an island all game it's not even close, wake will put up 3+ sacks. however, with our run game, play action, and roll outs winston will have plenty of opportunities to bulldoze wake and balance the scale. i also doubt winston will be without support from the tightend or backs too often, especially after duane's manhandling of freeney last week.
Old 09-16-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i went wake because if winston's on an island all game it's not even close, wake will put up 3+ sacks. however, with our run game, play action, and roll outs winston will have plenty of opportunities to bulldoze wake and balance the scale. i also doubt winston will be without support from the tightend or backs too often, especially after duane's manhandling of freeney last week.
If Winston ever gets put on an island, I hope it's Gilligans Island!
Old 09-16-2011   #16
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta go with Wake... Prove me wrong, Winston... because I'm sure you're reading this...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
Yeah well winston has been making some serious mental mistakes recently. He was also supposed to cut Ahmad Brooks on the first play in the SF-49ers game.
Brooks dropped a few yards deep and didn't rush. Is Winston supposed to chase him down?

I'm not a huge fan of Winston performance's, but that was just a good defensive play by Brooks and a bad offensive play by Schaub.
Old 09-16-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

He could be better but over all Winston gets the job done sometimes with help though.
Old 09-16-2011   #19
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3834 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Brooks dropped a few yards deep and didn't rush. Is Winston supposed to chase him down?

I'm not a huge fan of Winston performance's, but that was just a good defensive play by Brooks and a bad offensive play by Schaub.
I think you are remembering the wrong play. Line was at the 19, Brooks rushed up and engaged Winston at the 14, pushed him to the 13, took ONE step back and picked it off at the 13 yard line. Winston could have easily cut him but he brain locked.
Old 09-18-2011   #20
JamesBill
Veteran

Winston with a hold, YOU are the weak link Eric. Congrats.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read