Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-14-2011   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Letís Talk Receivers

I am surprised this topic has not come up yet in the College Football/Draft part of the board.

If the injury to Walter has shown us anything, it is that the Texans are not as strong at receiver as we had hoped. AJ is a stud- no doubt. But the guys below him on the depth chart leave something to be desired. Letís take a look:

1) AJ- All-pro, best WR in the league
2) Kevin Walter- Decent #2, good blocker, good hands. A great guy to have on the team, but is already 30, and has seen is stats decline since 08/09.
3) JJ- Arguably the most divisive player on the team among the fans, JJ has the talent, but has not yet proven himself to be a starting NFL receiver due to problems with fumbles and drops. Provides value on returns.
4) Bryant Johnson- Late FA pickup that is nothing but depth.
5) DA- Heís back, to both cheers and boos. Picks up first downs, but is nothing more than a 4th/5th receiver.

PS/IR
Jeff Maehl- UDFA that brings shades of a more athletic DA, Maehl has the body control and hands to possibly become a number 2 or 3 receiver, but it is far from a sure deal.
LeStar Jean- UDFA that impressed in training camp. In my opinion, he was placed on IR to protect him for the next TC. Looked great in TC, but 2 facts cannot be forgotten; 1) Went undrafted, and 2) did not make the team out of TC.

What do you all think? It is an impressive year for receiver, if you are GM of the Texans, do you grab a guy in the first 3 rounds? Or do you grab one later, and hope for a late diamond in the rough steps up and/or JJ, Jean, or Maehl take the next step?

Personally, I am looking to draft a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round. Allow me to make the case for Oklahoma WR Ryan Broyles:

Career Stats:

2008: 46 rec, 687 yards (14.9 ypr), 6 TD, 77 long
2009: 89 rec, 1120 yards (12.6 ypr), 15 TD, 51 long
2010: 131 rec, 1622 yards (12.4 ypr), 14 TD, 81 long
Close to 1000 career PR yards and 2 scores

While Broyles stands just 5'11" 190 lbs, he exhibits great body control, and the most important quality a WR must posses: hands. I cannot remember seeing him drop a pass (although I am sure it has happened). His agility and route running ability allow him to get open on any route, and allows him to extend plays after the catch. The best part about Broyles, is that he can play in the slot and outside, as well as the fact that he will be available near the bottom of the first due to the bevy of talented receivers, and the aforementioned size coupled with solid, but not outstanding, speed (estimated 4.50-4.55 40 time).

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Letís Talk Receivers

I think we'll be picking late 1st round and look right now for a STUD NT, ILB or WR. If we go WR, I really like Jeff Fuller out of Texas A&M. Perfect compliment to Andre Johnson - big, tough, physical receiver.

Nice "analysis" clip showing some positives and negatives against Oklahoma, Texas and LSU (not a highlight video). Looks to me like he beat Patrick Peterson (#7) the majority of the time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPvwk8Wu7Y
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'd want to go defense early and often.

DT, ILB, S.... I would love a genuine shut down cb too

I'd even put G ahead of WR to be honest.
Old 09-14-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I think we'd want to go defense early and often.

DT, ILB, S.... I would love a genuine shut down cb too

I'd even put G ahead of WR to be honest.
I would really like to see a Center over a Guard, but they are somewhat interchangeable. As for the OP's request about WR's, Michael Floyd out of ND looks great and he may be there at 32... Fuller would be my favorite as I am an Aggie. Justin Blackmon would be my absolute number 1 WR, but I doubt he falls out of the top 10. Alshon Jeffery out of SC is supposedly a top 10 pick, but I'm not sure if he warrants it.
Old 09-15-2011   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers is actually really highly regarded, most have forgotten him getting abused by Jenkins.

Our G situation is much more troublesome, with no real quality there.
Old 09-15-2011   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see the need for improved depth at WR but like Kiwi I think we have to many defensive holes and/or depth needs that have been ignored for far to long and need to be addressed. I also think it takes more than one draft/offseason to make the total change to a 3-4 defense. I see needs at NT, CB, FS/SS depth, OLB depth, ILB depth, DE depth, OG/C depth, and then WR depth. I also think that since AJ and JJ just got new contracts, and KW and OD got new/extended deals last year that we have alot of money tied up in pass catchers and can see this being a money issue. The Texans probably wouldn't want to tie up 1st round money on a WR who won't play because others making more money will play, unless we trade KW and/or OD and I don't see that happening. I think at least our first 2 picks should go to defense but could see a 3rd round pick being used on a WR. I can actually see the Texans being in a BPA situation next year depending on the play or injury of several key positions like CB, ILB, and NT. If we were to take a 3rd round WR, I prefer the tall athletic type. Examples: Juron Criner-Arizona, Dwight Jones-NC, or Marvin McNutt-Iowa.

What happened to Terrance Toliver-WR, I had high hopes for him?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Myers is actually really highly regarded, most have forgotten him getting abused by Jenkins.

Our G situation is much more troublesome, with no real quality there.
Yeah, but we don't even have a backup center on the roster, just guards that can play center too. If Meyers goes down, we may be in trouble.
Old 09-15-2011   #8
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Would love a WR, handle the situation like GB did with Donald Driver/Greg Jennings.
Old 09-15-2011   #9
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Any good tight ends this year?
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think we'll be picking late 1st round and look right now for a STUD NT, ILB or WR. If we go WR, I really like Jeff Fuller out of Texas A&M. Perfect compliment to Andre Johnson - big, tough, physical receiver.

Nice "analysis" clip showing some positives and negatives against Oklahoma, Texas and LSU (not a highlight video). Looks to me like he beat Patrick Peterson (#7) the majority of the time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPvwk8Wu7Y
bingo. fuller is my guy if we go WR in the 1st. I like Broyles, but dude is always nicked up.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
bingo. fuller is my guy if we go WR in the 1st. I like Broyles, but dude is always nicked up.
Interesting, since, if my internet research is correct, Broyles has never missed a came at Oklahoma, while Fuller missed 4 games last year. To the best of my knowledge, Broyles does not have an injury history.
Old 09-15-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Interesting, since, if my internet research is correct, Broyles has never missed a came at Oklahoma, while Fuller missed 4 games last year. To the best of my knowledge, Broyles does not have an injury history.
Yeah, Fuller has had some injuries. He has a hamstring issue right now, similar to what Arian Foster is going through, but for some reason they continue to play Fuller. I was really pissed off that Fuller was still getting catches in the 4th quarter of the SMU game. Absolutely ridiculous to have him out there when you're up by 4 TD's. I hope the extra week of rest helps him recoup.
Old 09-15-2011   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, Fuller has had some injuries. He has a hamstring issue right now, similar to what Arian Foster is going through, but for some reason they continue to play Fuller. I was really pissed off that Fuller was still getting catches in the 4th quarter of the SMU game. Absolutely ridiculous to have him out there when you're up by 4 TD's. I hope the extra week of rest helps him recoup.
Yeah, that was a dumb move. I really like Fuller, and would not be angry if he is the pick. I simply prefer Broyles because I think he brings better value in the 2nd than Fuller in the 1st. A draft of Ta'amu/Broyles or Burfict/Broyles would make me scream like a little girl.
Old 09-15-2011   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
being nicked up doesnt necessarily mean he's been missing games. nevertheless, i know a few years back he fractured his shoulder or arm or something b/c he was wearing this "robo-arm" sling thing all year & it seems like every time i watch them, his little ass (5'9, 180 lbs) is always battling through a strained ankle or wrist or something; maybe it just seems that way to me.

in any event, i doubt the texans look at him in the 1st b/c of his stature..u know kubes needs his wr's to be able to block for the running game...all our wr's are behemoths compared to broyles. Fuller fits that mold to a tee & has the potential to blossom into a 1b type option behind AJ.
Old 09-15-2011   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
being nicked up doesnt necessarily mean he's been missing games. nevertheless, i know a few years back he fractured his shoulder or arm or something b/c he was wearing this "robo-arm" sling thing all year & it seems like every time i watch them, his little ass (5'9, 180 lbs) is always battling through a strained ankle or wrist or something; maybe it just seems that way to me.

in any event, i doubt the texans look at him in the 1st b/c of his stature..u know kubes needs his wr's to be able to block for the running game...
I had forgotten about the sling. But the fact remains, he played and produced with it.

I never said to take Broyles in the first; I said he is an ideal candidate for the second round.
Old 09-15-2011   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I had forgotten about the sling. But the fact remains, he played and produced with it.

I never said to take Broyles in the first; I said he is an ideal candidate for the second round.
yeah he did, but the hits will only get harder in the nfl & i wouldn't feel comfortable with the texans taking him that early simply b/c he's not really special in any way as WR. he's not a speedster & he's not a physical freak & i dont see a ton of potential for him to become a star. The first & second rounds are reserved for those type guys.
Old 09-15-2011   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
yeah he did, but the hits will only get harder in the nfl & i wouldn't feel comfortable with the texans taking him that early simply b/c he's not really special in any way as WR. he's not a speedster & he's not a physical freak & i dont see a ton of potential for him to become a star. The first & second rounds are reserved for those type guys.
I see what you are saying, but I have to disagree on a couple points.

1) Predicting injuries is nigh impossible. Sure, you dock prospects for stuff like ligament tears and concussions, but Broyles has no history of that. Injuries happen to players, big and small. Take Bennie Joppru for example. Perfect size for a TE, and no history of injuries in college. However, he never played a down in the NFL. Injuries happen, and you cant be paralyzed over-analyzing potential injury risk.

2) You are right in that is rather average height and weight for a receiver, as well as the fact that Broyles possesses very average speed for the position. However, speed is not everything. He exhibits an above average step off the snap, and has excellent body control. I really think that those two aspects are equal to, if not more important than, speed. They allow Broyles to get open on virtually any route on the tree.

3) And again, I agree that Broyles will not become a star, meaning I dont see him being a number 1 receiver in the pros. I do see him being a number 2 receiver that can operate on the outside or in the slot, that any team in the league would love to have. And that IS worth a second round pick. In my mind, the first round is where you shoot for a star, or a top 5 player at his position. In the second and third rounds you look for potential starters at positions of need. And in the 4-7th you are looking for players that can stick on the roster and contribute in the coming years. Anything extra is gravy. Of course there are exemptions, such as project players, but that is how I evaluate prospects and the draft.
Old 09-15-2011   #18
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael Floyd all the way. His just as talented as blackmon but has had the off-field troubles. His started so well this year ... man on a mission i think!

Its hard to tell what are our needs so early in the season but WR should definitely be addressed at least in the first 3rounds.

ATM we have issues at DT, ILB depth, DE depth and S depth.

Maybe its the Koolaid but i don't think we will need any more picks at CB.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Blackmon and Jeffery are both top 20 picks so I wouldn't even begin to get excited about them. I don't see us picking that high (hopefully). I think Floyd sneaks into the first round, but I don't know if I want to use a first on a WR.

In round 2, I like Jeff Fuller and Juron Criner. I have Broyles in the second round as well, but I don't like him that much for us. He'll be a good NFL player, but somewhere else.

In round 3, I'm looking at Greg Childs from Arkansas.

In round 4, I like Damarlo Belcher from Indiana.

There are other guys I like, but those are my favorites.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, but we don't even have a backup center on the roster, just guards that can play center too. If Meyers goes down, we may be in trouble.
Wasn't Caldwell a fulltime C in college?

I think he is getting time at G here because Myers is much better than Briesel or Smith.

Oh, sorry, WR blah blah blah. Not meaning to side track the thread.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read