Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2005   #1
TexanWolverine
Rookie

Default Awesome...Running Back with our 3rd...

Someone please tell me what is going on....
TexanWolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #2
TigerBait
Veteran

just insurance for DD, incase he gets injured. Could be a good second option and give DD some rest...other than that idk.
TigerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going to have to do some research on this ... this is a headscratcher to say the least..

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #4
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

They liked Morency the best at their pick so they chose him. Remember they draft based on who they think is the BPA (aside from extreme situations like drafting another QB in the 1st).
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #5
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

WE have taken to many RB with our picks. Hollings, Wells, DD, now Morency. I'm disappointed that we didnt pick Wilkerson or Brown or Hawthorne or BLACKSTOCK. He would have been a gr8 value pick!
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #6
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

The Johnson pick wasn't terrible. I agree with you Wolverine. Maybe CC has something up his sleeve.
Old 04-23-2005   #7
TexanWolverine
Rookie

There has to be a limit to the BPA position. I guess our coaches feel a lot more secure about the offensive line than most people on this board. I just felt like Tuck was the obvious choice there...As apparently Seattle felt as well.
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2005   #8
blockhead83
All Pro

I wouldn't say that they feel comfortable with the status of the offensive line, but I think there were no OL prospects who grabbed their interest as an upgrade at this point.
Old 04-23-2005   #9
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

maybe this is a hint that Tony Hollings might not be on the team come the start of the season.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #10
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Wow, was I wrong. I thought that the team was going to get a big back instead of DD ver.2
Old 04-23-2005   #11
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Wow, was I wrong. I thought that the team was going to get a big back instead of DD ver.2
Wells can fill that role, if need be. He was far better than Stacey Mack was in that role, comparing year-to-year. More versatile and could be trusted to play well in situations requiring more than 2 feet of forward progress.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #12
TexanWolverine
Rookie

Capers just confirmed that Morency IS DD II
Old 04-23-2005   #13
blockhead83
All Pro

They had some nice things to say about Morency. He looks like the shifty type of runner who can make some things happen while DD catches a breather.
Old 04-23-2005   #14
SESupergenius

With this pick you can officially call the 2nd round pick of Hollings is a BUST.
Old 04-23-2005   #15
Htown34s
Veteran

Nothing shocking here. The consensus was they were going OL, WR, or RB in the 3rd. Remember that this OL class kinda sucks, and next years is supposed to be awesome.

FWIW this is what nfldraftblitz had on Morency at an early stage:

Morency is a very quick back who put up huge numbers for Oklahoma St. this past season. He has great vision and is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. He has good size and has the skills to be a good receiver. After spending four years in the Colorado Rockies organization, Morency switched back to football and put up impressive numbers in his short stay with the Cowboys. He showed flashes of his ability in 2003 playing behind Tatum Bell, but did not get his chance to start full time until this past season. He is a solid first round pick and could end up being the first back taken in April. Reminds You Of: Curtis Martin, New York Jets

Doesn't sound all that bad now, does it? Remember how much more balanced the offense was with DD? The talent level drops off dramatically after DD.
Old 04-23-2005   #16
TexanWolverine
Rookie

I guess I just dont like seeing the coaching staff basically say that we wasted a second round pick last year on Hollings.
Old 04-23-2005   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWolverine
I guess I just dont like seeing the coaching staff basically say that we wasted a second round pick last year on Hollings.
I don't think so at all. Hollings will make this team this year and contribute.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #18
blockhead83
All Pro

In a perfect world there are no busts....however, in reality not every player can eventually be a starter in this league, it's a guessing game. Besides, I think they took a bigger gamble than normal by taking Hollings and that in itself is not a bad thing. Sometimes you have to make gambles to hit the jackpot.
Old 04-23-2005   #19
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope so, otherwise its gonna be...

Hollings: "Gatorade, anyone?"
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWolverine
Maybe the bust pick was Wells. Then again, DD is the only really productive back our YOUNG franchise has drafted. I can see the coaches making this pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read