Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2011   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vonta WHO?!?

James Casey-

3 rec. 29 yards, long of 13

Blocked for a rookie (basically a rookie) who ran for 116 yards total, averaged 4.8 per carry.

He takes a LBer with him when he splits out, making extra room for runs/routes over the middle. He demands coverage and good coverage at that.

I don't know how many defenders we're gonna watch him truck before he earns the same reputation Vonta Leach earned but I can't imagine it should be too many more. Or with the way people willing blind themselves to facts, probably never.

He plays special teams, with the primetime returners taking the kicks there was some success.

This guy makes what? A half mil? Vonta Leach wanted....3.5 or something? James Casey and Rick Smith's decision > Vonta Leach and his demands. Oh and Ray Rice didn't have as many yards as Tate, so there's that.

For all the hoopling ladeedah made about VL leaving, this guy is 3 times the player Leach was and we've got nothing? No love? No Casey-to-the-Beach campaign?

AJ, Schaub, Mario, Joseph, these guys are the foundation. The emergence of players like Casey, Tate, several OLmen, Watt, Barwin, Quin...THESE are the guys that are going put the team over the hump. I can't wait to see the sick numbers he's going to put up as a FB while being exactly as effective of a blocker as anyone.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vonta WHO?!?

He looked good. He did have one play where he became the nail instead of the hammer and trippied up the RB (think it was Tate...maybe SS). Overall, I'll take Casey.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #3
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Fair enough. I remember the play among heads cracking and chains moving.
Old 09-12-2011   #4
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
He looked good. He did have one play where he became the nail instead of the hammer and trippied up the RB (think it was Tate...maybe SS). Overall, I'll take Casey.
yeah the LB our DE Knocked Casey Down and Tripped up Tate, other than that he did good. PLUs he gives us a very good option out of the back field. He reminds me so much of O.D
Old 09-12-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
yeah the LB our DE Knocked Casey Down and Tripped up Tate, other than that he did good. PLUs he gives us a very good option out of the back field. He reminds me so much of O.D
I think Superman fits better than Thor for a nickname. Or maybe the X-Factor. He's gonna be a difference maker this season.
Old 09-12-2011   #6
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9542 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its Kubiak's offense, the OL, and our running scheme that makes any rookie RB/FB look good.
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
Its Kubiak's offense, the OL, and our running scheme that makes any rookie RB/FB look good.
Yeah...who needs talent?
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2011   #8
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
He reminds me so much of O.D
That's an interesting comparison, similar build and good hands but I think where it falls apart is Casey being stronger and OD being more agile. OD runs to daylight with the ball and is just a 1/8th of a step faster. Casey is a little....undecisive as a runner. BUT in this role? Casey is a weapon, not merely a blocker.
Old 09-12-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
That's an interesting comparison, similar build and good hands but I think where it falls apart is Casey being stronger and OD being more agile. OD runs to daylight with the ball and is just a 1/8th of a step faster. Casey is a little....undecisive as a runner. BUT in this role? Casey is a weapon, not merely a blocker.
More of a battle axe than a battle hammer. He can cut you in more ways than one.
Old 09-12-2011   #10
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
Quote:
Yeah...who needs talent?
See what I said about people willingly blinding themselves?
Old 09-12-2011   #11
TimeKiller

Quote:
More of a battle axe than a battle hammer. He can cut you in more ways than one.
A Halberd?!
Old 09-12-2011   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
A Halberd?!
Good description. I was thinking shorter handle, but I like your description more gooder.
Old 09-12-2011   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agree to an extent. i dont think Casey has played enough TE in the NFL to really develope into a good one. With a little time i think he would of been just as good as O.D. Well not as good but close.
Old 09-12-2011   #14
junior
Veteran

Rep Power: 19 junior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famerjunior is a Hall of Famer

I think we will miss vonta against the steelers and ravens but knows. We will see, I hope I am wrong because those are two teams that will probably be in the playoffs and one of them we could see in the first round because they will be a wild card.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it many times in other threads. I love Vonta Leach, BUT, he wasn't worth money he could command for a FB. Better to cut ties than overspend at a position that can be replaced fairly easily. Good Luck to Vonta and I wish him all the best - except of course when we play the Ravens.
Old 09-12-2011   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I've said it many times in other threads. I love Vonta Leach, BUT, he wasn't worth money he could command for a FB. Better to cut ties than overspend at a position that can be replaced fairly easily. Good Luck to Vonta and I wish him all the best - except of course when we play the Ravens.
Yep. You nailed it.
Old 09-12-2011   #17
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Casey and I think he has potential, but I think you're being a tad premature in thinking "Vonta who?". Vonta was a battering ram who could wear down a defense and actually make opposing players try to avoid contact with him. He was able to do it consistently, game after game. I hope Casey can get to that level, but to think he is there already isn't accurate. I will agree that Casey does bring a different level of talent, as far as receiving goes, and can create mismatches that Vonta couldn't. He also allows us to be more creative out of the backfield. I just think that Vonta has the edge on blocking and has a proven track record at the position.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #18
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the versatility that Casey gives us as a blocker/offensive weapon. He's our little utility belt. I hope Kubiak calls his number occasionally at the goal line with a direct FB handoff.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I like Casey and I think he has potential, but I think you're being a tad premature in thinking "Vonta who?". Vonta was a battering ram who could wear down a defense and actually make opposing players try to avoid contact with him. He was able to do it consistently, game after game. I hope Casey can get to that level, but to think he is there already isn't accurate. I will agree that Casey does bring a different level of talent, as far as receiving goes, and can create mismatches that Vonta couldn't. He also allows us to be more creative out of the backfield. I just think that Vonta has the edge on blocking and has a proven track record at the position.
On what % of offensive plays? Not necessary in the Texans offense. Casey is money well spent.
Old 09-12-2011   #20
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On what % of offensive plays? Not necessary in the Texans offense. Casey is money well spent.
I'm not following your question. Are you asking what % of plays Vonta was a battering ram for us? If that's it, I can't give you a statistic. I'm strictly going off of memory of last year's games. I specifically remember watching him lower his head and take the will from the opposing players, making them quit as the game wore on. You can look through the archives, I know there were numerous threads on here about it.
I'm not saying that Casey isn't a great bargain. I think the kid has amazing athletic ability and smarts, which allows him to be much more versatile than the average NFL player. I think he can become a really good FB and I think he's off to a great start. I'm not arguing against having him and I get the reason why Vonta was allowed to walk. The cat played his ass off, made the pro bowl, and earned his payday. I also know we had more pressing issues to spend that money on. I just think the jury is still out on how well Casey will do. I wish him the best, but I'll wait until the end of the year to say that we didn't need Vonta.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read