Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-12-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

We are, indeed, fortunate to have Wade Phillips now directing our D. While we celebrate his presence, others mourn his loss. What is quite evident is that Wade is leaving a powerful impression on the Texans players.........in step with his daddy's mild-mannered classy fashion.

Quote:
Joke's on the Cowboys: Collapse of Rob Ryan's D proves Jerry Jones made an arrogant mistake on Wade Phillips

If Wade Phillips' guys expected fiery congratulations, slaps on the back or a even a mildly enthusiastic job well done, they were in for a surprise. For as everyone else who's been haunted by this Houston Texans defense (owner Bob McNair, head coach Gary Kubiak, the fans in the stands) went bonkers over the unit's performance in the season opener, Phillips kept it nonchalant.

"Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score," defensive tackle Shaun Cody says in relaying Phillips' words for his defense after a 34-7 wipeout of the Indianapolis Colts. "That was it. 'Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.' That's all he really said."

Cody grins. He's more than into whatever the Texans' slightly round, white-haired defensive Yoda wants to utter. Phillips' message to his guys — and make no mistake, the Texans' defensive players are already Wade's Guys — could not have been more clear. The rest of the NFL world may be shocked by the Texans' week one defensive power flex, but he expects it. And they should to, if they think about it.

"This isn't about Wade," linebacker DeMeco Ryans insists. "It's about a bunch of guys coming together who believed they could do this. We knew we had this in us. We believe in ourselves."

Funny, that sounds like exactly what Wade Phillips would want Ryans to believe. While McNair lauds the defense as the missing link and Kubiak gushes about the Texans playing their best half of football ever, Phillips quietly makes his way through the locker room, wearing a short sleeve, button-up shirt and holding a leather satchel like he's a businessman on casual Friday.

"Just call me Antonio Nostradamus," Antonio Smith laughs, "because I predicted that Mario was going to be awesome. I told you all."

This is Wade Phillips' gift. The gift of nonchalance. It may never come in more handy than it does with this Texans' defense, a unit that became so freaked out last season that it would jump at its own shadow.

"Wade's so cool," rookie defensive end J.J. Watt says of a 64-year-old coaching lifer who's probably only been called that once or twice in his life. Tops.

Phillips certainly wasn't considered cool in Dallas where he never really rose above being regarded as a rube temporarily coaching America's Team — even if he lasted there three and a half seasons and took Jerry Jones' team to two playoff berths before getting fired halfway through last season.

The Cowboys new coach, Jason Garrett, is considered more commanding than Phillips, more dashing than Phillips (and if you think looks don't matter in Big D, you've never spent any time there), more cool than Phillips.

Garrett's more Cowboys friendly. Whether he'll ever win as much, well that's another matter. It's sure not looking good for Jones and an arrogant fan base that tried to paint Phillips as a befuddled buffoon right now. For hours after the Texans defense played "angry" (Phillips' word) all around their leader's calm, the Cowboys' new hyper defensive leader (Rob Ryan, brother of Rex, friend to no Dream Team) watched his defense implode when it had a game in its grasp.

The Cowboys of Garrett, Ryan and Jones blew a 14-point fourth quarter lead on Sunday Night Football, threw away a game to a Jets team waiting to be beat. With the game on the line, Dallas' D played as out of control and freaked out as its new defensive coordinator. Don't put all the blame for that 27-24 loss on a blocked punt, another Tony Romo choke or a 50-yard field goal. Ryan's defense found itself plenty turned around in the second half too. His cornerbacks looked lost, shaken . . . and there was no one there to calm them down.

With every Sunday like this, it will become more and more apparent that Jerry's made another mistake.

Meet the new Super Mario

Remember how almost everyone freaked out over Mario Williams' "impossible" transition to playing outside linebacker in Phillips' preferred 3-4 defensive scheme? How Phillips nonchalanted it all preseason and said that Mario would be fine?

Well, there's Mario flying around the corner, blowing up plays in the Colts backfield, finishing with two sacks and a forced fumble. Mario would have looked like the most dominant defensive player on the field. If Watt wasn't bursting through the line. If Antonio Smith wasn't conducting regular breath tests of Kerry Collins. If Cody wasn't clogging everything up in Indianapolis' running game.

"They're as good as a front seven as we'll play all year," Collins said. And yes, he's talking about the Texans.

It's sure not looking good for Jerry Jones and an arrogant fan base that tried to paint Wade Phillips as a befuddled buffoon right now.

It starts with Mario and Phillips recognized that from the beginning. By treating Williams with respect, by all but laughing at the notion of judging a veteran by the preseason, by staying cool, the Texans defensive coordinator empowered his most important player.

"Just call me Antonio Nostradamus," Smith laughs, "because I predicted that Mario was going to be awesome. I told you all."

Phillips isn't quite as gregarious as the Texans' defensive captain. But he advances much the same message. "Mario looked pretty good as an outside linebacker to me," Phillips says with a smile.

Of course, as Smith notes, it helped that the Colts tried to block Williams on the edge with tight end Dallas Clark. "I don't know what they were thinking," Smith says.

Maybe Phillips did. Creating mismatches is at the heart of his 3-4. It's about putting his playmakers in position to be stars, getting Williams 1-on-1 against a tight end, allowing free safety Danieal Manning to fly all over the field and try and take receivers heads off (even if the penalty Manning received for doing just that Sunday afternoon was dubious at best).

"Wade is confident and that makes everyone confident," Cody says. "He'll map it all out and tell us this is what they're going to do and this is what we're going to do. And this is what's going to happen.

"And it happens."

Of course, Phillips is just ticked the shutout didn't happen. "That would have been nice," he says of securing a goose egg. "I thought our guys played well enough to earn it. But it just shows you how hard it really is to get a shutout in this league."

Phillips message to his guys was a little more succinct. Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

"We wanted that shutout so bad," Watt says. "Now, we'll have to go get us one next week."

It's more than 40 minutes after the game, the Texans locker room is clearing out, and J.J. Watt still looks like he wants to hit somebody. All powered by the most nonchalant leader in the room.

Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

You can be sure that Rob Ryan said a lot more — in a much louder fashion — after his Cowboys defense fell apart. So crazy. The man could probably could use a little confident nonchalance.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

Quote:
"We wanted that shutout so bad," Watt says. "Now, we'll have to go get us one next week."

It's more than 40 minutes after the game, the Texans locker room is clearing out, and J.J. Watt still looks like he wants to hit somebody. All powered by the most nonchalant leader in the room.
It's always good to have some new blood that is ready and pumping.

He can push the old men on the team to play harder!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #3
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only part I took issue with:
Quote:
the Cowboys' new hyper defensive leader (Rob Ryan, brother of Rex, friend to no Dream Team) watched his defense implode when it had a game in its grasp.
Uh no, he watched as Tony Romo single-handedly choked the game away. I was expecting him to imitate his Dad going after Gilbride.
Old 09-12-2011   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It's always good to have some new blood that is ready and pumping.

He can push the old men on the team to play harder!
Looking like a fantastic pick, no doubt.
Old 09-12-2011   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I was skeptical to say the least. A more accurate description might be that I was disgusted when I heard Kubiak was staying and Wade was taking over the D.

Not only am I now thinking I was wrong, I'm developing a serious man crush on our new treasure: Wade Phillips.

We're lucky to have him. I really got a kick out of watching him smiling his goofy smile on the sideline yesterday.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #6
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

Uh no, he watched as Tony Romo single-handedly choked the game away. I was expecting him to imitate his Dad going after Gilbride.
Not only that, and im no Cowgirl fan, but they had two of their top 3 CB's out, the other one being gimpy after getting rocked twice in the game. Jets spread the girls remaining CB's out and targeted them..Pretty much their version of McCain, Allen, and Harris playing w/ KJ as the #1.
Old 09-12-2011   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Looking like a fantastic pick, no doubt.
Remember how some poster had concern that Watt may not be fast enough.
I hope he's convinced now that Watt is fast enough to play in this league!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2011   #8
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post

That game was the last relevant win in Oilers history.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah im not so sure yet i think our D is better no question but i still think it will take us at least 1 full season for this 3-4 D to really Gel IMO and maybe another Draft class under its belt

because im still seeing us getting gashed at the RUN addie really ran up on us in this game not alot but u know he had some runs

but if we get better each week there is no reason why we cant Win while still learning
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get the quote. "Lets not let the team score."
Who? The Colts? If so, why did he tell them "see you tomorrow"
Old 09-12-2011   #11
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Since the quote was post game, I took it as a challenge for the defense not to let the other team score next time. See you tomorrow was a kind of a "let's get back to work" kind of thing.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Wade said a mouthful.

Got the win - refers to the game that just ended
see you tomorrow - means get your a$$es back here - ready to work - TOMORROW. I'm gonna teach you how you can be even BETTER.
Let's not let the team score - that's the motto of his defense. Don't let anyone score. As a defense, that's our job. Don't let their team score (whoever "they" might be).
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #13
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 629 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Not only that, and im no Cowgirl fan, but they had two of their top 3 CB's out, the other one being gimpy after getting rocked twice in the game. Jets spread the girls remaining CB's out and targeted them..Pretty much their version of McCain, Allen, and Harris playing w/ KJ as the #1.
This is the thing that I think was completely omitted. I know Newman didn't play at all, but he is also fading imo and so there is not a huge drop off between him and Scandrick/Jenkins. When both of those guys were out for the game, there is a pretty big drop off when you have to play your 4th and 5th CB. Even with that happening it still took a special teams failure and 2 turnovers to give the game away. I am not sure I blame the D really at all, they played a solid game, limiting the run and keeping the passing from getting out of control considering the circumstances.

Add in the fact that the center tried to help make Romo's 4th quarter worse (he did look good for the first 3), and this was a wild game. Long story short - I think its a bit much to bash the cowboys D after 1 crazy game. However, I am obviously glad for them firing Wade last season. We should send them a thank you note.
Old 09-12-2011   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade is the reason for a happy season!
Old 09-12-2011   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkatoid View Post
This is the thing that I think was completely omitted. I know Newman didn't play at all, but he is also fading imo and so there is not a huge drop off between him and Scandrick/Jenkins. When both of those guys were out for the game, there is a pretty big drop off when you have to play your 4th and 5th CB. Even with that happening it still took a special teams failure and 2 turnovers to give the game away. I am not sure I blame the D really at all, they played a solid game, limiting the run and keeping the passing from getting out of control considering the circumstances.

Add in the fact that the center tried to help make Romo's 4th quarter worse (he did look good for the first 3), and this was a wild game. Long story short - I think its a bit much to bash the cowboys D after 1 crazy game. However, I am obviously glad for them firing Wade last season. We should send them a thank you note.
Uncle Bob has probably thanked Jerruh already.
Although I'm not convinced Jerruh could bring himself to say, "You're welcome"
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #16
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Yeah im not so sure yet i think our D is better no question but i still think it will take us at least 1 full season for this 3-4 D to really Gel IMO and maybe another Draft class under its belt

because im still seeing us [b]getting gashed at the RUN addie really ran up on us in this game not alot but u know he had some runs

but if we get better each week there is no reason why we cant Win while still learning
Which game were you watching??

What did they have 63 yards rushing?? I hope that is soon to be considered a gashing!
Old 09-12-2011   #17
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I'm loving this defense. Can't wait for next sunday already!
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #18
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Aww... cute
Old 09-12-2011   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
...Cody grins. He's more than into whatever the Texans' slightly round, white-haired defensive Yoda wants to utter....
Hoth-boy would be so proud. Anyone wanna try their hand at a photshop?

Got the win. See you tomorrow. Let's not let the team score.

Preach.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dont think we've seen a defense play like that in a Houston uniform since ..... 1993.

I sure hope its just the begining and not the best we'll see of that unit ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read