Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2011   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A tale of two halves. Again???

OK. Last year after walking out of Reliant in week 1 I had this thought in the back of my mind. I was concerned about the yards that PM put up. Today, from the comfort of my couch, I wonder if we have another nemesis.

I'm not concerned that we didn't score in the second half, I'm concerned that we didn't execute well at all. I understand you run the ball but the two turnovers were just plain unacceptable. If it happens against a team not missing its best player that is a serious problem.

Two years ago we started strong and finished slow. Last year we started slow and finished strong and we can't do that again. This team needs to show it can play 4 quarters of football. Execute for a full game or we're in some serious trouble over the course of a season.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #2
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: A tale of two halves. Again???

I didn't read as much into our non-second half as it seems many on the boards here have. I think their are many reasons to take your foot off the gas with a 34 point lead, regardless of the pains many of us suffer from memories of a playoff game in Buffalo many Moons ago

It's the first game of the season, you don't show your entire hand to the rest of the teams you will meet along the way. Second, it's a division opponent, whom you will meet again on their turf.

Yes, I understand we've suffered with issues of consistency in the past, but I just didn't see that today. The defense was able to turn it on and off as necessary in the second half, and the offense was just running to burn the clock, except for the stupid interception down on their end of the field early in the 3rd. Lets find a way to celebrate our victories with a smile instead of predictions of doom. You gotta believe sooner or later... buy into it, drink the kool-aid
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Why the negativity?

You can't expect a team to be fired up after coming out of the locker room up 34=0. That's unreasonable.

Edit: And yes, I remember 35-3, so don't even.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Well we were missing one of our best players as well.

I was concerned last year about the near 500 yards Peyton threw for last year, but honestly this didn't concern me as much. Schaub wasn't very sharp today at times and that interception definitely has no excuse, but he always seems to get better as the season progresses. It's likely that Foster would not have fumbled in that situation either, but you never really know.

It's definitely something that could use improvement, and Kubiak was displeased with that as well, so i think it will get better. If your biggest problem as a team is offensive execution while up 34 points, then you're probably in decent shape.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 146868 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

2 turnovers kept it from being a 40+ point win even in turtle mode. we went into turtle with our rookie and 4th string backs sharing duties, and that directly resulted in the turnovers (forcing a dump to slaton and tate's fumble). i wouldnt read too much from this one outside of the obvious - we absolutely crushed the colts in every way.
Old 09-11-2011   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It was predictable and understandable. I don't like it either. I was thinking "40+ points on the Colts? No way!" but then I gave it some thought and realized that we'd be shutting it down and trying to kill clock in the second half. Gary goes conservative once the lead surpasses 10 points. Always has. Probably always will.
Old 09-11-2011   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The Tale of Two Halves:
By Timekiller

Act 1; Half 1

The first quarter...
The defense stomped a hole into the Colts and their hope of looking like a real team without their savior.

De ja 2nd quarter!
+Note, for 2nd quarter repeat 1st scene entirely+

Intermission

Act 2; Half 2

For once the offense went fireworks, handed it off to the defense and the defense held up it's end of the bargain. Yeah, the 2nd half offense in no way resembled the 1st half....because it didn't need to. Would 60 points have done it? Doubt it. Somebody would find a way to pick at 60 points. How many times did they run that one running play? Like 40 times. By the time the horsies figured it out it was too late and the Texans defense was too mean.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2011   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
OK. Last year after walking out of Reliant in week 1 I had this thought in the back of my mind. I was concerned about the yards that PM put up. Today, from the comfort of my couch, I wonder if we have another nemesis.

I'm not concerned that we didn't score in the second half, I'm concerned that we didn't execute well at all. I understand you run the ball but the two turnovers were just plain unacceptable. If it happens against a team not missing its best player that is a serious problem.

Two years ago we started strong and finished slow. Last year we started slow and finished strong and we can't do that again. This team needs to show it can play 4 quarters of football. Execute for a full game or we're in some serious trouble over the course of a season.

Mike
Well the D was playing soft zone in the second half. I wish they would just stay aggressive, i never understand why Defense lets up just cause u have a big lead.
Old 09-11-2011   #9
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It was predictable and understandable. I don't like it either. I was thinking "40+ points on the Colts? No way!" but then I gave it some thought and realized that we'd be shutting it down and trying to kill clock in the second half. Gary goes conservative once the lead surpasses 10 points. Always has. Probably always will.
I don't think this was a bad call on Kubes part today. I'm hoping now that our defense can shut it down after we get a little bit of a lead. If only we played the Colts every week...
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #10
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
If only we played the Colts every week...
I never thought I'd see that statement on these boards... but it's the truth at this point LOL
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #11
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have any feelings of doom. While the offense didn't put any points on the board in the 2nd half I didn't see a let down on the defensive side of the ball. Yeah, they scored, but on a very short field after the fumble. That fumble doesn't worry me yet since I haven't seen that it's been a problem for him. He was trying to get extra yards and it came out. The first Schaub interception was actually the fault of the Colts defense. If Schaub hadn't rolled out and seen Andre so open he would have set his feet and thrown it lower.

Overall, I was excited about what our defense brought to the table.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #12
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its not what we did on defense that worries me. It is the way we were sloppy on offense. Our defense was bailed out with a couple of penalties too. I'm just saying that while I'm happy overall, there are a few things that really bother me.

On offense it is that we were really sloppy in the second half. Putting it on coast doesn't mean you stop executing. We stopped executing. That has been a problem for 3 years and we have almost zero reason to believe its different this year because even in our biggest blow out of an opponent, maybe ever, we still did it.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #13
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 18049 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

To quote a Colts fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySouthsider
I kind of get the feeling Houston called off the dogs.
Like it or not, Kubiak is not Bill Belichick. He came out of the locker room with a 34-0 and sat on it. Only fans of the Texans have experienced enough trauma to find signs of impending doom in a 27 point victory over its most challenging division opponent.

Old 09-11-2011   #14
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't panic. We should have scored another 10 points. Schaub's brain fart and Tate's fumble on back to back series sucked. I am typically a glass half empty guy but even I can see that you are making too much out of this.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #15
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
I didn't read as much into our non-second half as it seems many on the boards here have. I think their are many reasons to take your foot off the gas with a 34 point lead, regardless of the pains many of us suffer from memories of a playoff game in Buffalo many Moons ago

It's the first game of the season, you don't show your entire hand to the rest of the teams you will meet along the way. Second, it's a division opponent, whom you will meet again on their turf.

Yes, I understand we've suffered with issues of consistency in the past, but I just didn't see that today. The defense was able to turn it on and off as necessary in the second half, and the offense was just running to burn the clock, except for the stupid interception down on their end of the field early in the 3rd. Lets find a way to celebrate our victories with a smile instead of predictions of doom. You gotta believe sooner or later... buy into it, drink the kool-aid
I'll buy in after week 8. I'm not convinced I see games 4-8.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post

Mike
"Didn't execute well at all" ?

Really, what game were you watching?

Offensively, we had 26 plays outside the two minute warning, & two turnovers.

At all?

We gained 139 yards in the second half. 5.5 yards per play (not great..... not "at all" )

WE MARCHED DOWN THE FIELD ON OUR SECOND POSSESSION... 70 YARDS...

& the Defense played a heck of a game, even in the second half.

At all??

You guys must be drinking the blue Koolaide.

Put that shit down, come get some of this red stuff.
Old 09-11-2011   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't worried about it.I figured with a 34 point lead, you call in the dogs, hunt is over. Maybe it is because I have a lot more confidence in wade running the defense against collins
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #18
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
"Didn't execute well at all" ?

Really, what game were you watching?

Offensively, we had 26 plays outside the two minute warning, & two turnovers.

At all?

We gained 139 yards in the second half. 5.5 yards per play (not great..... not "at all" )

WE MARCHED DOWN THE FIELD ON OUR SECOND POSSESSION... 70 YARDS...

& the Defense played a heck of a game, even in the second half.

At all??

You guys must be drinking the blue Koolaide.

Put that shit down, come get some of this red stuff.
The one that didn't score any points in the second half, not even a field goal on that 70 yard drive you're talking about,
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011   #19
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Gotta find SOMETHING to complain about.
Old 09-11-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
The one that didn't score any points in the second half, not even a field goal on that 70 yard drive you're talking about,
The point we're talking about is the offense not looking good at all in the second half.

Yes, that's the drive I'm talking about. They looked pretty good up till that one play..... how can you argue they didn't look good at all? that they didn't execute at all?

That's just hateraide.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read