Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-09-2013   #221
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Random Thought of the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Oh my god that was ugly. I wonder if the defender chose to go low so he wouldn't get fined for hitting him high?
That would be correct

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...wski-was-legal

Quote:
"When they set the rule, everyone knew what was going to happen," Ward said, per The Plain Dealer. "This can happen if you have those types of situations. It's pretty much inevitable and they forced our hand with this one.

"I've been fined three times, and I don't like playing for free. If you go ask anybody in this league would they like to play for free? No. Repeat offenders, they're starting to suspend people for the year. I can't risk that. I won't risk that. And, I've got to play within the rules, point blank."
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #222
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I hate hearing that rationalization. There is almost five feet of target below the head and above the knee on Gronk.
I think that small guys have a tough time getting run over trying to hit big dudes like this in the trunk...just watch Earl run over Isiah Robertson as a guide. I think this injury is at the hands of the overofficious legal department giving smaller players little option than to go low with dangerous hits or take on the possibility of getting embarrassed. Getting embarrassed doesn't pay well...unless you are Keo. Donno how that guy kept his job bouncing off rb's at the goal line

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #223
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think that small guys have a tough time getting run over trying to hit big dudes like this in the trunk...just watch Earl run over Isiah Robertson as a guide. I think this injury is at the hands of the overofficious legal department giving smaller players little option than to go low with dangerous hits or take on the possibility of getting embarrassed. Getting embarrassed doesn't pay well...unless you are Keo. Donno how that guy kept his job bouncing off rb's at the goal line
The small guy rationale doesn't work as a criticism for this rule. He was always going to go low for exactly the reason you state. Also, not in the helmet doesn't mean only in the trunk - there is a lot of room between the waist and knee as well. The rule being criticized here is about head hunting which involves being up even higher and and often off your feet losing all leverage.

As an aside, expect Von Miller to get a hefty fine if not a suspension for an unpenalized play yesterday. He launched himself, lowered his crown and went full on into the side of Fitzpatrick's helmet (after the ball was gone) yesterday .
Old 12-09-2013   #224
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I get your point about going low previously, but I think it's not that cut and dry though. They may still have gone low before the added penalties and the fines, but he could have hit Gronk in the shoulder pads but you risk accidentally hitting the helmet, so you just about have to go low instead of it being an option to go low. I heard that this year had more knee injuries than in previous years. I'd like to see some real data on this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #225
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I get your point about going low previously, but I think it's not that cut and dry though.
Totally agree with that. Also fully understand it is a fast interaction and you don't always hit what you mean to. People hate no discretion nowadays but I think there should be incidental/unintended discretion given to the refs for something like Reed getting flagged against the Patriots.

One final note on the knee injuries. I think a lot of the players saying they had to go low because of the rules is excuse making after an injury happens. Watching the plays they never had an option to go high. They weren't avoiding a head hit, they were too far away and diving to make any tackle at all. Matt Stevens didn't choose to take Ricky Williams' shoe off - it was all he could get.
Old 12-16-2013   #226
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Seahawks shutout costs car dealer $420,000
Quote:
FEDERAL WAY, Wash. - When the Seahawks win, you win!"

Pizza, beef jerky, cheeseburgers, haircuts, Slurpees and donuts.

Those are just a few of the free promotional gifts the gods of football can grant lucky fans when the Seahawks dominate.

Add a cool $35,000 to that list.

The Seahawks clobbered the New York Giants 23-0 in MetLife Stadium Sunday afternoon. Most of Washington likely cheered and chanted "SEA--HAWKS" after each of the game's five interceptions. But Jet Chevrolet in Federal Way is now obligated to pay out $35,000 to twelve contestant winners as part of a "Seattle shutout" promotion.
Quote:
Under the rules, anyone was allowed a free entry to the contest by filling out a form, but if someone bought a new or used car at Jet they were given 100 entries. Per the rules, each winner will get $35,000 for a total payout of $420,000.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #227
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Sunday's was only the 4th worst...

Tony Romo's 10 most heartbreaking losses
Quote:
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones called Sunday's insane loss to the Green Bay Packers one of the "hardest losses that I've experienced."

He has plenty of options to choose from. The Jason Garrett-Tony Romo era has produced a string of ridiculous losses, each one seemingly more excruciating than the one before. The Cowboys don't just blow big leads; they blow 23-point leads to Matt Flynn on five successive touchdown drives, with two Tony Romo interceptions in the final four minutes mixed in.

Sunday's meltdown got us thinking about where this game would rank on the list of the most heartbreaking losses of Romo's career. Here are ten that come to mind, with a lot of help from our video department...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2013   #228
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Did y'all see that last catch by Jacoby? Big catch just past the 50. Went up & got it with both hands, then got a little YAC..... great catch. Not the kind you'd expect from him.

& so far he's leading the Ravens in catches & yards receiving.
Old 12-16-2013   #229
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Justin Tucker is just FILTHY! 6 FGs on the day and just hit a go ahead 61 yarder.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #230
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2725 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Justin Tucker is just FILTHY! 6 FGs on the day and just hit a go ahead 61 yarder.
Yea and the Texans passed on him, Blair Walsh, and Greg Zurerlein for Fat Randy...

Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #231
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If it wasn't for defenceless punter rule, huber doesn't make a half-arsed step towards the returner, and is then prepared for the hit he's about to take to stop him making a tackle.

Braced for impact, his chin doesn't drop to his chest, and hes eating solid food for the next few weeks.

I'd love to get some reaction to my way of thinking here as I'm having a right to and fro with a bungles fan on another forum.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #232
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I will be watching and pulling for the Panthers in the playoffs. Dunno why, but I like their defense and I enjoy watching Newton spin it.

I understand their chances are slim. I just like watching them play.
Old 12-23-2013   #233
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

No Saturday NFL this year.....damn.
Old 12-23-2013   #234
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The Falcons are married to Matt Ryan for the next 4 years.
Old 12-23-2013   #235
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53113 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Falcons are married to Matt Ryan for the next 4 years.
From among the Romo/Ryan/Flacco crowd that got their $100MM extensions, I thought Ryan was the one that it wasn't completely insane to pay that kind of money to. I didn't think any of them were worth it, but I liked Ryan the most, to rephrase it. I guess we'll see.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #236
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Atlanta wants to steal the show from Candlestick tonight. Atlanta down 3-0, but 2nd and goal at the two.

EDIT: Atlanta scores with help from the zebras. Another personal foul - defenseless receiver BUT. It looked like the ref came back and changed to unsportsmanlike which could have come after the bogus original call.

We'll never know. ESPN is covering the game and can only give you so much information in between their endless nonsense they are always babbling.

7-3 Atlanta.
Old 12-23-2013   #237
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Looks like Atlanta wants to steal the show from Candlestick tonight. Atlanta down 3-0, but 2nd and goal at the two.
I'm rooting for Atlanta tonight. I'm wanting three games next week to be a win and in.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #238
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I'm rooting for Atlanta tonight. I'm wanting three games next week to be a win and in.
I'm in SF's corner, but I'm cool with whoever wins. Actually, my ex is a Niner fan. GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2013   #239
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Wow. That pass interference call on Atlanta was fragernackle bull####...lol.
Old 12-23-2013   #240
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand the body-slam call against Kareem Jackson that cost the Texans in OT earlier in the season. I see defenders do it constantly and I never see it flagged.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read