Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Matt Schaub, it's about what you don't do..

Joe Thiesman said on AFC Playbook, that Matt needs to get better at protecting the ball. Then they went on to show Matt's errors.. in highlight fashion.

What say you? Is that crucial for the Texans to get to the next level?
Old 09-10-2011   #2
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102277 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub, it's about what you don't do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Joe Thiesman said on AFC Playbook, that Matt needs to get better at protecting the ball. Then they went on to show Matt's errors.. in highlight fashion.

i think anytime ur Quarter back turns the ball over at crucial times it is a concern. But i think the Defense has put the O in that position to make play after play to get back into games that it seems Schaub makes more mistakes than he does.
Old 09-10-2011   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think it's more about the game plan. The Texans game plan at Indy last season was atrocious! You can't work the short passing game vs. Indy. On 3rd and 6, the Colts defensive backs sell out on first moves with the expectation that the QB will be hurried by Mathis/Freeney to throw the ball or the pressure will get there. We need to pound the edges with the running game, knocking Freeney and Mathis in the mouth. Then, we need to take shots downfield in the deep passing game and also work some screens. Here's another crazy thought: how about some chips and double teams on their only two defensive playmakers?
Old 09-10-2011   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 293187 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Joe Thiesman ... Then ... went on to show Matt's errors.. in highlight fashion.
What did he say were Matt's errors?
Old 09-10-2011   #5
FuriousGravy
Rookie

I have no issue with his ability to protect the ball. The only game I can remember that being a factor was the Ravens game.

I think I'd feel better calling Schaubby a "Top 10 Quarterback" if I saw him hit a receiver in stride down the field. I did see a lot of "hold up let me wait here until the ball arrives" last year.
FuriousGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #6
brad77
Rookie

Section: Sec 350 Row E
Rep Power: 275 brad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My opinon is that it is not Matt's ability to protect the ball that has cost us games in the past. When the QB is putting up the numbers that Matt has on a consistent basis, and we still get beat by a point or two, that to me means the Defense has failed. We got so much production out of foster and Schaub last season, and still managed to loose games like the Jacksonville game. I hope to see a few things 1. The offense comes out and plays the first half. I grow tired of seeing them come out flat. 2. The Defense comes out fired up and ready to play and we get some 3 and outs and take an early lead. I mean really, how many games did we struggle to come back in the second half of the game?
brad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i think anytime ur Quarter back turns the ball over at crucial times it is a concern. But i think the Defense has put the O in that position to make play after play to get back into games that it seems Schaub makes more mistakes than he does.
This. Schaub made play after play after play in that Baltimore game for example. If his receivers would have caught the ball in the first half, and if the defense could have done anything, then Schaub would not have had to be completely lights out in the second half. With at least an average defense, Schaub's mistakes will be minimized.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2011   #8
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
This. Schaub made play after play after play in that Baltimore game for example. If his receivers would have caught the ball in the first half, and if the defense could have done anything, then Schaub would not have had to be completely lights out in the second half. With at least an average defense, Schaub's mistakes will be minimized.
Well, the call in overtime that had him throw out of the endzone like they did during the Baltimore game....that was a bad call. I do not put the blame on him in that play. That was the playcalling there.

Last edited by rush2112mn; 09-10-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: wording
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248345 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
If I'm getting this right, it seems everyone in this thread is saying Matt doesn't need to improve his game at all?
Old 09-10-2011   #10
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I'm getting this right, it seems everyone in this thread is saying Matt doesn't need to improve his game at all?
Pretty much dude comes through in the clutch and is accurate and smart. Also saw him launch one to Aj in the preseason like 50 yards down the field and hit him in stride .... he can do it if he is able to step into his throw.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2011   #11
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I say he needs to avoid turning the ball over in crucial situations, ala the baltimore game last year.
Old 09-10-2011   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Well, the call in overtime that had him throw out of the endzone like they did during the Baltimore game....that was a bad call. I do not put the blame on him in that play. That was the playcalling there.
Even if it was a bad call, Matt should have never thrown that pass. Audible out of the play or check down to another option, but you never throw that pass.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He threw that ball while back pedalling, he doesn't have the arm strength to do that in a tight window, he should have thrown the ball away.

Some of the highlights were tipped balls and not his fault (well maybe to low of a pass over the DL) and some were him holding the ball down to low and getting sacked from behind resulting in a fumble. He just needs to clean up a few mental errors. All in all he's a great QB who plays well under pressure, Theisman had to critique him about something.
Old 09-10-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think it's more about the game plan. The Texans game plan at Indy last season was atrocious! You can't work the short passing game vs. Indy. On 3rd and 6, the Colts defensive backs sell out on first moves with the expectation that the QB will be hurried by Mathis/Freeney to throw the ball or the pressure will get there. We need to pound the edges with the running game, knocking Freeney and Mathis in the mouth. Then, we need to take shots downfield in the deep passing game and also work some screens. Here's another crazy thought: how about some chips and double teams on their only two defensive playmakers?
Didnt the Dolts sign two new DE's who are suppose to be better against the run specifically for these types of situations - and to keep Mathis & Freeney fresh for the 4th quarter ?!

It'll be interesting to see how they rotate those guy's ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Even if it was a bad call, Matt should have never thrown that pass. Audible out of the play or check down to another option, but you never throw that pass.
Don't know. I still think that was a blown route. QB's have to throw on faith sometimes. I think JJ wasn't on the same page and didn't make the cut Schaub anticipated (whose error in judgement that was being unknown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
He threw that ball while back pedalling, he doesn't have the arm strength to do that in a tight window, he should have thrown the ball away.
Arm strength was not a factor on that play. I can't even imagine why that would be mentioned. Earlier in the game he threw a ball three times as far to Walter into a non-existent window. Heck Gruden was gushing all game long about how Schaub was throwing lasers.
Old 09-10-2011   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, especially when you consider WHY Schaub threw that pass:

NT runs over Myers and gets right in Schaub's face, who is standing in the endzone. Coach's should've known that was likely. You run the ZBS with that kind of center and you've got to expect that on pass plays against a D like the Ravens. Ya gotta run the ball from that spot on the field.

For those wondering why he through it where he did:

NT was in his face too soon and nobody was done running their routes. He threw it to a guy (Jacoby, I think) who was not looking because it wasn't time to yet. For Schaub, it was take that risk or take the safety (game over).

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #17
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub just has to stop his weekly "Schaub's Shitty Throw of the Game (tm)"
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #18
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

One other thought say he threw a strike to AJ for a td on that play we still just 7-9 and miss the playoffs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2011   #19
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Joe Thiesman is a D-Bag in my humble opinion, but then again I don't like very many people especially Foosball Commentators whether they were former players, coaches, or blow hards.

Anyway Matt has started protecting the ball pretty well the last couple of years. the guys has thrown for a gazillion yards the last two seasons, of course he's gonna have some picks. Some have been a crucial times, but I don't think that means he's not clutch.

If you pull enough film on any QB your gonna find a nail in the coffin INT here and there.

Matt has room to improve, but if he plays at 09' and 10' level and the D gets its head out of it's ass we move up to a 9-7 or 11-5 team instantly, period.
Old 09-10-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Matts biggest weakness has been the defenses that we've fielded.

Matt is a really good qb so I don't want to pick his game apart. So I'll phrase it like this: The things that separate Matt from The top tier qb's are 1) arm strength 2) the ability to keep plays alive 3) play off success 4) a play making defense

2 of those things have nothing to do with Matt and the other 2 can be compensated for so I say we are doing pretty good at the qb position.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read