Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kuharsky Blog: What songs do Texans players listen to before a game?

Quote:
You see them in headphones, walking into the stadium, heading from the locker room to the field, as they stretch and run and get ready for kickoff.

Before the iPods are turned off and put away, what’s the last song the Texans listen to in order to get in the right frame of mind?

Build a playlist based on this if you dare:

Receiver Kevin Walter: Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight”

“It reminds me of my rookie year in Cincinnati; they always had it going in pregame. It gets me going. It’s game time, let’s go.”

Linebacker Connor Barwin: Kayne West, “Power”

“It just puts me in a good mood, gets me ready to go.”

Defensive end J.J. Watt: Eminem, “Lose Yourself”

“It just reminds me it’s all about one moment, your one chance to shine. For me, every game is a chance to shine.”

Cornerback Jason Allen: DMX, “In the Air”

“You feel that feeling, it just gets me riled up and ready to go. Overcome adversity, be ready to bounce back.”

Running back Arian Foster: Janelle Monet, “Archandroid” (album, not song)

“It relaxes me. I listen to it a lot. There is an old proverb that is you can control your breathing, you will have the strength of 10 tigers. When you get amped, your muscles tighten up, you get dehydrated quicker, you start thinking too much.”

Linebacker DeMeco Ryans: Earl Washington, “Hard Fighting Soldier” (via YouTube.)

“Of course it pumps me up, but it also clears my mind and allows me to go into a true focus mode.”

Linebacker Brian Cushing: Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight”

“My linebacker coach in college, Ken Norton, that was his favorite song. It was always the last thing we did, kind of a tradition we started. Any time I hear that song now I just think about him and all the stuff he taught me.”

Center Chris Myers: Mudvayne, “Dig”

“It just kind of gets me up. It’s one of those songs, you can’t really tell what they’re saying, I don’t listen to that type of stuff at any other time aside from just before a game. Just real, real heavy stuff.”

Safety Danieal Manning: Canton Jones, “I Won’t Stop”

“That gets me fired up, let’s me know I won’t stop no matter what’s going on in the game.”

Defensive end Antonio Smith: Marvin Sapp, “The Best in Me” and Fred Hammond “No Weapon”

“They put me in the place I need to be.”

Receiver Andre Johnson: Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight.”

“I kind of got hooked on that song in high school. Our coach used to always play it before big games. They gave their little speech and then played it. It just calms me down, gets me in that game mode.”

Cornerback Johnathan Joseph: Young Jeezy, “Let’s Get It.”

“It relaxes you, it gets your mind right.”

Unable to pick just one, or rebels who don’t wear headphones:

Quarterback Matt Leinart: “I like to do either Eminem or completely go opposite with Enya. I don’t know the song, they all sound the same to me. It’s probably split. Most of the time I try to go more mellow, relax the nerves a little bit.”

Safety Glover Quin: “I like to chill and focus on my assignment. I can’t focus on my assignment and listen to music. I can’t do two things and once. I’m not that talented.”

Quarterback Matt Schaub: “There is usually a good mix in the stadium. The sound system in our stadium isn’t the best for music, so we put some speakers down on the field for warm-ups which is pretty cool. They have a good mix of songs. A good one, a staple is always ‘In the Air Tonight.’”

Kicker Neil Rackers: “If I am really pumped up for a game, I might throw some Enya on there. Any song. Just that strange voice where you don’t really know what she’s singing just calms me down a little bit.”

Running back Ben Tate: “I’m not a big music guy. I might listen a little bit before the game. But closer to the game I’m more quiet and focused on what I’ve got to do.”
Link to story here.
Old 09-07-2011   #2
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 12831 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: Kuharsky Blog: What songs do Texans players listen to before a game?

In before "the music they listen to is too soft".
Old 09-07-2011   #3
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 28439 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kuharsky Blog: What songs do Texans players listen to before a game?

dmx has the best hype up music.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #4
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Safety Glover Quin: “I like to chill and focus on my assignment. I can’t focus on my assignment and listen to music. I can’t do two things and once. I’m not that talented.
Okay, I could have gone all year without hearing that.
I'm sure he was j/k but still....
Old 09-07-2011   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Let me translate what he meant:

"I can't bat down a pass AND have a song in my head at the same time. Duh!"
Old 09-07-2011   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

At least he's honest.
Old 09-07-2011   #7
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight.”

Seems like they love this
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2011   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

am I the only one who noticed that the Houston Texans' fight song was conspicuously absent...?

maybe we need to change it the "In the Air"
Old 09-07-2011   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd probably listen to some form of Metallica or Maiden before a game. Or some songs from the Rocky soundtrack.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #10
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Thank god Matt Schaub called out the stadium's audio system...it is crap and can barely be heard field level.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

****ing Mudvayne gets you amped. We listened to that in high school. Also Walk by Pantera.
Old 09-07-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was hoping one of them would say "I'm A Texan" by El Tejano

www.myspace.com/eltejanoakarickyd
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58272 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a ritual before basketball that involved Bone Thugs & Harmony. I always listened to Mo Murda over and over on the bus ride to the away gym or for about 1/2 an hour up to the game. That always got me psyched. Kinda surprised nobody my age (early 30's) said that one.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #14
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with the "loose > hyped" approach when I was in HS... Nothing got me more loose for Four quarters of bench-ridin' than some Roy Dam Mercer with both Skynyrd and Metallica's "Tuesday's Gone" sprinkled in... Metallica's "Orion" actually relaxed me as well...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight.”

Seems like they love this
Some unusual suspects that mention it too.

You could give me 1000 guesses and I would never guess that for Cush, much less Dre.
Old 09-07-2011   #16
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 30516 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
I went with the "loose > hyped" approach when I was in HS.
I was the opposite. Typically listened to either old death metal or hardcore (old C.Corpse, Cro-Mags, etc) right before game time.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #17
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

I bet Ray Lewis doesn't listen to phil collins before the game.. seriously????

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #18
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
I bet Ray Lewis doesn't listen to phil collins before the game.. seriously????
A ton of NFL players listen to Phil Collins before the game, ESPECIALLY Ray
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #19
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

And don't forget Mike Tyson rockin' "In the Air Tonight" before laying the smackdown in "The Hangover"...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

No Phil Collins fans on the Titans:
Quote:
Cornerback Cortland Finnegan: Eminem, “Lose Yourself”

“He talks about one shot or one opportunity. Sometimes in a game it’s that one shot that may change around the game, may win the game or lose the game for you.”

Linebacker Akeem Ayers: Jay-Z and Kayne West, “Gotta Have It”

“I just like the beat. It kind of loosens me up, gets me ready to play, puts me in a good mood.”

Defensive tackle Shaun Smith: Meek Millz, “I’m a Boss”

“It just gets me going, gets me all riled up in a zone and I just go out there and do what I do.”

Fullback Ahmard Hall: Fred Hammond, “They That Wait”

“It gets me motivated. Reminds me what to do, how to conduct myself.”

Defensive end Dave Ball: Metallica, “The Day That Never Comes”

“Just a good pump up song.”

Safety Michael Griffin: Yo Gotti, “Look in the Mirror”

“Hype song. Gets your blood flowing.”

Receiver Nate Washington: Fred Hammond, “Always Remember Jesus”

“It just keeps me humble. It always helps me remember who I am and the ability that I have to go out and play football.”

Tight end Jared Cook: Killer Mike, “God in the Building”

“It’s hip-hop song but it’s God-based.”

Receiver Kenny Britt: Drake, “Headlines”

“He talks about how a lot of people tell him he fell off and things like that and that’s something he needed to hear. That lines up with me and helps motivate me.”

Quarterback Jake Locker: Montgomery Gentry, “Something to be Proud of”

“It just reminds me of the people in my life that have allowed me to have the opportunity to go out and compete. It reminds me I am playing not only for myself, but for a lot of people in my life.”

Running back Javon Ringer: Deltrick Haddon, “Mighty God”

“It just helps me feel better than listening to a bunch of rap. I can’t really get into all the lyrics and what people are talking about in the rap songs. I like to listen to gospel music and get my mind right. It kind of helps me get focused more than a bunch of swearing.”

Guys who go against the grain:

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck: I might have to change this. What I do is I put headphones on and I don’t plug them into anything, so people don’t talk to me. I kind of just like the quiet. I get hyped up for a game, but I am not covering kicks. I need to be relaxed and calm and thinking clearly. I just sort of like the noise cancellation.”

Linebacker Barrett Ruud: “Just whatever I feel like listening to. I’m a shuffle guy. I don’t really use it to get excited. If I am listening to music, it’s usually just to pass the time. Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, the Allman Brothers, The Black Keys, The White Stripes.”

Kicker Rob Bironas: “I usually drive in listening to Channel 59 XM, The Highway. It’s country music, today’s top hits. Then whatever they are playing at the stadium is my pump-up music.”

Linebacker Will Witherspoon: “I’m a sleeper. I have about a 30 minute nap before a game. I don’t listen to anything.”

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read