Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-06-2011   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans need to look in the mirror...

The latest by AJ
this problem.

Quote:
When you're talking Texans, there's a not-so-fine line between 'can' and 'should.'

Should the Texans win ten games this year, given the upgrade in coaching staff on the defense and the turmoil that's going on around them in the AFC South? Of course they should, if everyone stays healthy.

But can they?

And there's the key. The answer to the 'can they' question lies not in what's happening to other teams around them, but what's happening inside the Texans locker room and between the ears of the Texans offensive coaching staff and players.

Hear me out.

Even the koolest of koolaid drinkers would agree that the Texans are often times their own worst enemy.

We've heard Gary Kubiak talk many times about how the offense got 'out of whack' because of an early mistake and how they had to struggle to recover.

Kubiak is a perfectionist, no doubt. He's thoughtful, analytical and a worry wart who's wound up pretty tight.

But there's also an old saying that perfect is the enemy of good enough and sometimes I wonder sometimes if things are wound up just a little too tight down there.
Old 09-06-2011   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 132624 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans need to look in the mirror...

Thanks for posting.

Sometimes when you are too perfectionist , you can be a good planner, but have difficulties with split-second decisions when you overthink........a problem that may be at the heart of what Kubiak has shown during games.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #3
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 5378 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The latest by AJ
this problem.
No offense to Burge, but that was a bunch of bovine excrement. If organizations or individuals do not strive to be perfect in everything they do then there is no room for improvement. No coach, boss, individual should just settle for good enough. Good enough ain't good enough.

There is always room for improvement in everything. Always. Winners do not settle for good enough.

The difference this year will be the offense no longer having to try and cover for the defense. That is not being good enough that is just getting better as a team and striving to keep getting better.

Ok two rants in two posts. I am stepping away from the keyboard now.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
No offense to Burge, but that was a bunch of bovine excrement. If organizations or individuals do not strive to be perfect in everything they do then there is no room for improvement. No coach, boss, individual should just settle for good enough. Good enough ain't good enough.

There is always room for improvement in everything. Always. Winners do not settle for good enough.
I think the point of the article is that you can't let a bump in the road upset the whole apple cart. Sometimes the fear of making a mistake causes the mistakes you were fearing.
Maybe the wrath of Khubiak is worse than we thought.
Old 09-06-2011   #5
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 44018 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post

The difference this year will be the offense no longer having to try and cover for the defense. That is not being good enough that is just getting better as a team and striving to keep getting better.

Ok two rants in two posts. I am stepping away from the keyboard now.
Havent you seen Friday Night Lights.

"Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman you're perfect"
Old 09-07-2011   #6
Texan_in_KS
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Texan_in_KS could be on the next Madden coverTexan_in_KS could be on the next Madden coverTexan_in_KS could be on the next Madden coverTexan_in_KS could be on the next Madden coverTexan_in_KS could be on the next Madden coverTexan_in_KS could be on the next Madden cover

In the immortal words of Shane Falco:

You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.
Texan_in_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_in_KS View Post
In the immortal words of Shane Falco:

You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.
That was the description of the Rosencopter game. I can honestly say that we've come a long way since then. We gonna do good.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2011   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156516 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody that has been watching the Texans since their inception, knows damn well they have just as much chance of winning six games this year as they do 12.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

One quote keeps coming to mind about Kubiak:

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their players and motivate."
~ Vince Lombardi

Kubiak has shown that he's a great X's and O's guy, a fantastic coordinator coach that can construct and instruct and offensive unit with great success.

However, after five years and a 37-43 record, I'm still not convinced that he's a head coach that can 'get inside [his] players and motivate'. This is what defines a head coach more than anything else, and it's the one thing that Kubiak seems to struggle with the most.

The stars are aligned for us now more than ever. But the Texans will have to overcome themselves as much as beat their opponents. Let's see it happen now.
Old 09-07-2011   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

All I gotta say is "Prove It"!
Old 09-07-2011   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I'm in this camp 100% as well. I've stated prior that I hope this doesn't come off as sounding ish but I honestly feel this is the Texans' year. #18 or no #18, I don't feel the outcome will/would have been any different. Looks like Kubes has had an epiphany and will actually be a head coach we can trust to be what he needs to be and do what he needs to do.

The only down side for me being the rest of the division appearing to be in shambles. That, to me, is a shame. I really wanted our "rise to the top" year to be vs. a strong division. Not all's lost though. We have a formidable schedule. I like our chances against the perrinnial powerhouses in the league. When we play the Steelers, the Saints and the Ravens and play them well, I see this as showing the rest of the country that we're the real deal as well and can play with any team in the league.

I see it happening.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm in this camp 100% as well. I've stated prior that I hope this doesn't come off as sounding ish but I honestly feel this is the Texans' year. #18 or no #18, I don't feel the outcome will/would have been any different. Looks like Kubes has had an epiphany and will actually be a head coach we can trust to be what he needs to be and do what he needs to do.

The only down side for me being the rest of the division appearing to be in shambles. That, to me, is a shame. I really wanted our "rise to the top" year to be vs. a strong division. Not all's lost though. We have a formidable schedule. I like our chances against the perrinnial powerhouses in the league. When we play the Steelers, the Saints and the Ravens and play them well, I see this as showing the rest of the country that we're the real deal as well and can play with any team in the league.

I see it happening.
All the above article says is "prove it". You're a good team and deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, with all the respect that entails, then prove it. Win the games you should win and a few of the games you shouldn't. That's what playoff teams do.
Old 09-07-2011   #13
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All the above article says is "prove it". You're a good team and deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, with all the respect that entails, then prove it. Win the games you should win and a few of the games you shouldn't. That's what playoff teams do.
I know, I was condensing.

Like the anti-GP.
Old 09-07-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I know, I was condensing.

Like the anti-GP.
lol
Old 09-07-2011   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thunk that's the point I was getting across. Fail on my part??

Old 09-07-2011   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I thunk that's the point I was getting across. Fail on my part??
No.
Old 09-07-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I see it happening.
I think the epiphany was Robert McNair who said something like "Gary, I appreciate the loyalty you have to your staff but here's the deal. You fire the guy and I bring in Phillips. You focus on the offense and he will focus on the defense and you keep your job."
Old 09-08-2011   #18
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think the epiphany was Robert McNair who said something like "Gary, I appreciate the loyalty you have to your staff but here's the deal. You fire the guy and I bring in Phillips. You focus on the offense and he will focus on the defense and you keep your job."
Yeah, or that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read