Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-04-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OL Thomas Austin has landed with Houston

OL Thomas Austin has landed with Houston

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...u-should-know/
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OL Thomas Austin has landed with Houston

6'3" 310 24YOA OG and not much else. Waived by Patriots.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=OG

Anyone know anything? Back up caliber I imagine
Old 09-04-2011   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though they are at 52, we know that that 53rd slot is for a punter so I'm wondering who gets cut to make room for this guy ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #4
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

One of the corners most likely.
Old 09-04-2011   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

So we traded Molden for Austin.
Old 09-04-2011   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunky View Post
Rotoworld:
"Texans claimed OG Thomas Austin off waivers from the Patriots.
Austin spent last season on New England's practice squad after going undrafted out of Clemson in 2010. He'll add depth at guard with Kasey Studdard and Antoine Caldwell injured."

I personally think we will drop D. Barber to make room. I was pretty surprised to see he made the 53.
The Texans only have four safetys on the roster, and I don't see them going into the season with fewer than that. Like it or not, I believe his special teams play will keep Barber on the roster (and assuming he performs, that's not all bad).
Old 09-04-2011   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Barber was clearly the best depth on the field last Thursday. He's not a starter but he's better than most 3rd string guys and he is a consistent performer on special teams. Carmichael is destined for the p-squad. He and Newton both in my opinion. I think Houston is just waiting to cut them until most other teams have filled there needs so they have a better chance of clearing waivers. Especially Carmichael. Based on the film of Newton I doubt anyone picks him up.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2011   #8
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 4151 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bengals, Rams, and Colts also put in claims for OL Thomas Austin according to rotoworld. Does this mean, he chose to be with the Texans or is money a factor here ?
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
The Bengals, Rams, and Colts also put in claims for OL Thomas Austin according to rotoworld. Does this mean, he chose to be with the Texans or is money a factor here ?
I think it means we were first in line.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunky View Post
Rotoworld:
"Texans claimed OG Thomas Austin off waivers from the Patriots.
Austin spent last season on New England's practice squad after going undrafted out of Clemson in 2010. He'll add depth at guard with Kasey Studdard and Antoine Caldwell injured."

I personally think we will drop D. Barber to make room. I was pretty surprised to see he made the 53.
I think he was dropped by Vikings and then went to Patriots.
Old 09-04-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Austin is a developmental Center who will need some time. Good fit for ZBS, a little more stout than Chris but not as quick.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know anything about the guy but I already like the signing. Interior O-line depth was a weakness that needed to be addressed due to the injury to Caldwell. Hopefully he develops and becomes a good addition like Wade Smith.

I found this on Walterfootball.

Thomas Austin, Clemson
Height: 6-3. Weight: 306.
Projected 40 Time: 5.12.
Pro Day 40 Time: 5.36.
Benchx225: 33. Arm: .
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
1/17/10: An All-ACC second-teamer, Thomas Austin can play both guard and center.

2/11/09: Enjoyed a great junior campaign and was named to the All-ACC Second Team.

7/28/08: Thomas Austin started 12 contests as a sophomore. He's versatile and can play guard as well.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 09-05-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't know anything about the guy but I already like the signing. Interior O-line depth was a weakness that needed to be addressed due to the injury to Caldwell. Hopefully he develops and becomes a good addition like Wade Smith.

I found this on Walterfootball.

Thomas Austin, Clemson
Height: 6-3. Weight: 306.
Projected 40 Time: 5.12.
Pro Day 40 Time: 5.36.
Benchx225: 33. Arm: .
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
1/17/10: An All-ACC second-teamer, Thomas Austin can play both guard and center.

2/11/09: Enjoyed a great junior campaign and was named to the All-ACC Second Team.

7/28/08: Thomas Austin started 12 contests as a sophomore. He's versatile and can play guard as well.
Was it Beerlover who liked Thomas before the 2010 draft?
I believed he was rated by some as high as a third rounder.
Personally, I thought he was draftable in the late rounds.

Looks like he didn't do as well as expected on his pro-day and went undrafted.
(See above on projected and actual 40 time.)

I went back and rewatched some of his college game tapes (at LG as a Sr.)and I still think that he was draftable (6th or 7th rounder.)

I also watched him played one half (for the Vikes) against the Broncos in the 4th PS game in 2010 (didn't pay attention to who he was lining up again as a RG.)
He played well, better than any of our scrubs showed during this PS.

Then I watched him played one half (for the Pats) against the Giants in game 4 this PS (at C). He also played well.
I saw him going against a couple of big bodies, including Gabe Watson a couple of times.
This guy is 330 and some and was a part time starter for the Cards before I think (but he was cut by the Giants after this PS - must be because of this showing???)
He also lined up against Kennedy (this guy is the backup NT for the Giants, I believe) and didn't embarass himself.

Basically, Asutin played better than I had expected.
With his vesatility (LG, RG, C), Austin looks like a guy the Texans can groom.
He didn't look like a 5.36 guy at all (doesn't mean that he's fast.)
He played with decent pad level and uses his hands somewhat efficiently.
His lateral movement wasn't too bad.
He can pull, he can cut block.
He has pretty good feet and is not the plodding type.
He doesn't have a high connection rate on the second level (but he wasn't bad either.)

I've seen him in some ZBS plays at Clemson as well in the PS games for the Vikings and the Pats, so that's a plus.

I will have to come back and take a closer look (looks like he may have missed a couple of blitz pick-up, but I wasn't sure of the protection scheme that was called; BTW in those plays, the QB didn't have to take the sack, he just had to get rid of the ball.)

Even so, it seems he can become a decent backup for us.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Was it Beerlover who liked Thomas before the 2010 draft?
I believed he was rated by some as high as a third rounder.
Personally, I thought he was draftable in the late rounds.

Looks like he didn't do as well as expected on his pro-day and went undrafted.
(See above on projected and actual 40 time.)

I went back and rewatched some of his college game tapes (at LG as a Sr.)and I still think that he was draftable (6th or 7th rounder.)

I also watched him played one half (for the Vikes) against the Broncos in the 4th PS game in 2010 (didn't pay attention to who he was lining up again as a RG.)
He played well, better than any of our scrubs showed during this PS.

Then I watched him played one half (for the Pats) against the Giants in game 4 this PS (at C). He also played well.
I saw him going against a couple of big bodies, including Gabe Watson a couple of times.
This guy is 330 and some and was a part time starter for the Cards before I think (but he was cut by the Giants after this PS - must be because of this showing???)
He also lined up against Kennedy (this guy is the backup NT for the Giants, I believe) and didn't embarass himself.

Basically, Asutin played better than I had expected.
With his vesatility (LG, RG, C), Austin looks like a guy the Texans can groom.
He didn't look like a 5.36 guy at all (doesn't mean that he's fast.)
He played with decent pad level and uses his hands somewhat efficiently.
His lateral movement wasn't too bad.
He can pull, he can cut block.
He has pretty good feet and is not the plodding type.
He doesn't have a high connection rate on the second level (but he wasn't bad either.)

I've seen him in some ZBS plays at Clemson as well in the PS games for the Vikings and the Pats, so that's a plus.

I will have to come back and take a closer look (looks like he may have missed a couple of blitz pick-up, but I wasn't sure of the protection scheme that was called; BTW in those plays, the QB didn't have to take the sack, he just had to get rid of the ball.)

Even so, it seems he can become a decent backup for us.
He was Old Miss guy, but I would go along with 6th/7th rd. grade for a team like Texans who run the ZBS. I really like him as a Center prospect over either guard position. I can see Newton kicking inside to RG too & take advantage of his athletic ability to pull & run block.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-05-2011   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I can see Newton kicking inside to RG too & take advantage of his athletic ability to pull & run block.
I was thinking the same thing. Newton appears to have short arms and his footwork isn't great. When I look at Newton, he just looks like a OG not a OT. I hope the Texans give the guy a chance at OG instead of just cutting him loose if he doesn't make it at OT.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Newton appears to have short arms and his footwork isn't great. When I look at Newton, he just looks like a OG not a OT. I hope the Texans give the guy a chance at OG instead of just cutting him loose if he doesn't make it at OT.
Somehow, the Texans have a tendency of picking up OT with short arms and wondering why they might have problems filling the bill.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Somehow, the Texans have a tendency of picking up OT with short arms and wondering why they might have problems filling the bill.
Arm length is over-rated it's more about hand position along with ability to redistribute weight with leverage. I don't think either of our tackles have ideal measureables when it comes to arm length but their ability to mirror & slide with athletic & technically sound footwork is what makes them efficient.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-06-2011   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Arm length is over-rated it's more about hand position along with ability to redistribute weight with leverage. I don't think either of our tackles have ideal measureables when it comes to arm length but their ability to mirror & slide with athletic & technically sound footwork is what makes them efficient.
Arm length is over-rated until we're talking about two guys who have about the same ability, then I would imagine the guy with farther reach is the better player.

The OT won't run into problem until he faces a pass rusher with arm length who knows how to use it to his advantage, the way I see it.
Old 09-06-2011   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

OK, so I've watched all of the Pats' PS games.

Austin looks pretty good.
He played all 3 positions: C, LG, and RG.

In the first game (against the Jags) he even started.
The Jags were without the starting NT Knighton; otherwise it was good competition for Austin.

Of course, Austin didn't win all his individual matchups, but he more than held his own.

It looks to me like the most important thing for him now is to get real comfortable with the ZBS.
IMO, he's a viable backup at G at the moment (pobably won't stink up the joint.)

I'm not comfortable with him at C yet simply due to the added responsibility of snapping the ball and making the line call.
Old 09-06-2011   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Arm length is over-rated until we're talking about two guys who have about the same ability, then I would imagine the guy with farther reach is the better player.

The OT won't run into problem until he faces a pass rusher with arm length who knows how to use it to his advantage, the way I see it.
Well, yeah that does make sense. Just FYI Eric Winston measured arm length @ the combine was only 32 1/4 while LT Duane Brown reach was 34 1/4. Others for comparison, Jake Long 35 3/4 & Ryan Clady 36 3/4".

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read