Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Big concern on offense!

I have plenty of concerns on defense but Wade says Don't Worry Be Happy!
Still leery, but for now let's look at the other side of the ball. I am very happy overall with the O. and can see it being better than last season but..

Jacoby Jones needs to have a very good not just average year imo. He is probably my greatest concern barring injuries of course to Oline and even then Butler can handle LT & RT. I just cannot figure this player out. I had projected him to have a great year last season playing off AJ, now I just hold my breath when on the field. Will be interesting to see the new Johnson with some reps with first stringers & if JJ does not come prepared to step up he could move down the chart.
Old 09-03-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Big concern on offense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Still leery, but for now let's look at the other side of the ball. I am very happy overall with the O. and can see it being better than last season but..

Jacoby Jones needs to have a very good not just average year imo. He is probably my greatest concern barring injuries of course to Oline and even then Butler can handle LT & RT. I just cannot figure this player out. I had projected him to have a great year last season playing off AJ, now I just hold my breath when on the field. Will be interesting to see the new Johnson with some reps with first stringers & if JJ does not come prepared to step up he could move down the chart.
Our 4th or so option on offense is a BIG concern of yours? You have all-world in AJ, far above average in OD, and a solid 3rd in Walter. At RB, you have Foster, Ward and Tate. Barring injury to our OL, we are officially locked and loaded on offense. My biggest concerns are on special teams and, to a degree, defense.
Old 09-03-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Our 4th or so option on offense is a BIG concern of yours? You have all-world in AJ, far above average in OD, and a solid 3rd in Walter. At RB, you have Foster, Ward and Tate. Barring injury to our OL, we are officially locked and loaded on offense. My biggest concerns are on special teams and, to a degree, defense.
Thread title says "biggest concern on offense". I am leaning towards a 15-1 record if defense is top 10-12. So yeah, a WR who can conceivably average 4-5 balls thrown his way & usually those will be downfield a ways is a concern. Call it nit picking if you want, but then try to imagine if JJ could get 60 receptions and avg 20 yards.
Old 09-03-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thread title says "biggest concern on offense". I am leaning towards a 15-1 record if defense is top 10-12. So yeah, a WR who can conceivably average 4-5 balls thrown his way & usually those will be downfield a ways is a concern. Call it nit picking if you want, but then try to imagine if JJ could get 60 receptions and avg 20 yards.
60 receptions at 20 yds a piece?? That's 1200 yds. from a back up.
Old 09-03-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
This is what I projected for JJ last season and AJ, OD and Foster/Tate/Ward would allow JJ to get some yardage if he can hold the ball. I think he can get open. Didn't he catch a pass late in one game that brought us to red zone and then Schaub threw an INT? Can't remember which game but believe I'm correct on the details. I like that line up anywhere on field and same when Walter is in rather than JJ.
Old 09-03-2011   #6
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
thats high hopes from a player whose never had 600 yards. Id be real happy if he could get around 800
Old 09-03-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
thats high hopes from a player whose never had 600 yards. Id be real happy if he could get around 800
I'd be happy also but think JJ has talents to beat out Walter but just has not done so. This is why I was surprised Texans got him back.
Old 09-03-2011   #8
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

our offense need to start games better. last year we were terrible starting off games, and our defense being so terrible didn't help.
Old 09-03-2011   #9
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 55784 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Only thing on offense you should be concerned about is how bad is Foster's hammy....

You know your team has come along way when fans are concerned about the 4th and 5th WR on their team.....

Feels kinda nice...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickspatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is what I projected for JJ last season and AJ, OD and Foster/Tate/Ward would allow JJ to get some yardage if he can hold the ball. I think he can get open. Didn't he catch a pass late in one game that brought us to red zone and then Schaub threw an INT? Can't remember which game but believe I'm correct on the details. I like that line up anywhere on field and same when Walter is in rather than JJ.
mmmm. ok
Old 09-03-2011   #11
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 55784 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe you are thinking the Baltimore game and it was Andre that caught the late TD and JJ that caught the 2 pt conversion, THEN Schaub throws the pick....

The 2 pt conversion looked like it was meant for AJ...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Pickspatrick!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Big concern on offense!

Would be if Matt Schaub can stay healthy the whole season

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree, JJ has great potential if he could just catch the F'n football. Every year we have such high hopes for him and think that he's going to mature and turn the corner and be the great WR that we all know he can be. I still hold my breath every time he takes a punt return and find myself saying, just go down and hold onto the ball. JJ has had more than enough time to mature and become that great WR. This should be a make it or break it year for him, if he sucks then we should look elsewhere for his replacement. You can only invest so many years in a guy before you have to move on.

Other offensive concerns would be depth on the O-line. If our starters go down this could be a very long season.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

im concerned with

-Eric winston ... on how hes going to suck and then preceed to be on radio week on how he needs to get better
-Can Brisles stay healthy ???? knocks on wood
-how good will our FB play be
-Will Foster be rdy for wk1 ????? !!!!!!!!!!!! thats the big one imo
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Offensive line depth and wr depth are scary right now. If Meyers went down we are hosed same for any wideout.
Old 09-04-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
im concerned with

-Will Foster be rdy for wk1 ????? !!!!!!!!!!!! thats the big one imo
that's actually the least of our worries. We don't want to rush him, which could lead to an issue that could nag him all year long. Or an issue that keeps him from performing at 100% for 5 or 6 weeks, ala Revis.

If sitting him two weeks will help ensure we will put this thing behind us & he's 100% week 3, then I'll sit him two weeks.
Old 09-04-2011   #17
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

JJ will be JJ. Tease us with a circus catch and then......well, you know.

My only real concern is OLine depth. I know they said they wanted a 5th WR but honestly I don't see it being a big need. And even if AF is held out a couple weeks, Tate and Ward can certainly keep the defense honest while the Air Corps rips them a new one.

Oh, and our ST still suck......
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Offensive line depth and wr depth are scary right now. If Meyers went down we are hosed same for any wideout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
that's actually the least of our worries. We don't want to rush him, which could lead to an issue that could nag him all year long. Or an issue that keeps him from performing at 100% for 5 or 6 weeks, ala Revis.

If sitting him two weeks will help ensure we will put this thing behind us & he's 100% week 3, then I'll sit him two weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
JJ will be JJ. Tease us with a circus catch and then......well, you know.

My only real concern is OLine depth. I know they said they wanted a 5th WR but honestly I don't see it being a big need. And even if AF is held out a couple weeks, Tate and Ward can certainly keep the defense honest while the Air Corps rips them a new one.

Oh, and our ST still suck......
OL depth is a big concern for me, also.
I agree with TK on Foster. Sitting him for a couple of weeks would be the smart thing to do, and we all know how Kubiak likes to be "smart" with injuries.
I worry about WR depth behind AJ every year. The big guy is what drives our offense, imo.
Old 09-04-2011   #19
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I agree, JJ has great potential if he could just catch the F'n football. Every year we have such high hopes for him and think that he's going to mature and turn the corner and be the great WR that we all know he can be. I still hold my breath every time he takes a punt return and find myself saying, just go down and hold onto the ball. JJ has had more than enough time to mature and become that great WR. This should be a make it or break it year for him, if he sucks then we should look elsewhere for his replacement. You can only invest so many years in a guy before you have to move on.

Other offensive concerns would be depth on the O-line. If our starters go down this could be a very long season.

Will this mis-conception ever die?

AJ dropped a higher percentage of balls thrown to him than JJ last year.

Next....?
Old 09-04-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
Will this mis-conception ever die?

AJ dropped a higher percentage of balls thrown to him than JJ last year.

Next....?
Have a link showing that?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read