Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston Texans team report:Punter & Fifth Wideout will be sought.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...will-be-sought

A HOUSTON -- The Texans are looking for a punter, a fifth wide receiver and depth in the defensive line as they continue to retool a roster that stood at 52 on Saturday night.

The Texans waived punter Brad Maynard and will claim or sign a new one. After keeping Bryant Johnson, who had three catches for 64 yards against Minnesota Thursday night despite participating in only two practices last week, they’d like to find a fifth wideout like David Anderson.

He played five seasons with the Texans before being a cap casualty and signing with the Broncos, who waived him.

… There has been a lot of speculation in Dallas that once defensive end Igor Olshansky was released, he would sign with the Texans. He played for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips at San Diego and Dallas.

… The Texans kept six of eight draft choices and one undrafted free agent -- outside linebacker Bryan Braman.

… Running back Steve Slaton, fourth on the depth chart, was retained. He didn’t play in preseason because of a hamstring injury. He’s 100 percent and could be trade bait or insurance in case Arian Foster doesn’t recover from his hamstring injury as fast as the team hopes.

… Running back Chris Ogbonnaya, who led the team in preseason with 54 carries for 192 yards, was waived and could end up on the practice squad for the second consecutive season.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1WwdTs9zd
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans team report:Punter & Fifth Wideout will be sought.

I have new found faith in our talent evaluation and seriously doubt our personnel moves ended at the 53 man roster deadline.
Old 09-03-2011   #3
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

How do we feel about Ex-Patriot Brandon Tate?

He was let go by the Pats because he wasn't becoming the receiver they needed him to be, but in our loaded offense, he wouldn't really be asked to do much, and he's proven in the past he could be dynamic on special teams, which would in turn allow us to keep Manning away from that role.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very ok with just 4 Wrs with this tight end corps and two running backs that can catch and that does not include Slaton.
Old 09-03-2011   #5
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I have new found faith in our talent evaluation and seriously doubt our personnel moves ended at the 53 man roster deadline.
I kind of agree. My gut tells me that this was all done on purpose. They have a plan. (I hope).
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am very ok with just 4 Wrs with this tight end corps and two running backs that can catch and that does not include Slaton.
Unless the injury bug hits us. But I do agree that Schaub already has more than enough folks to throw to, considering the recieving talent at RBs, TEs, and HBs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Honestly, over time they have been decent enough at finding guys like Pollard, wilson etc early in the season who can be short term band-aids.
Old 09-03-2011   #8
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see WR Brandon Tate being a Texan. He is exactly what we need as a 4th or 5th WR. He will compete with Bryant Johnson for his spot, gives us a speed guy, and plays special teams which i'm not sure about B. Johnson. This move would make us better.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This, excluding the slaton part.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I have a feeling Slaton will be moved before the trade deadline to a team hurting for a RB or possibly cut when the team is confident that Foster is fully healed.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Why? If healthy Slaton can catch and he has been suggested to be a WR in some schemes. SOme called him a Reggie Bush type RB.
Old 09-03-2011   #12
RT22
Veteran

Rep Power: 3883 RT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respectedRT22 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can also see former Arizona P Ben Graham being on the Texans radar.
RT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd like to see us keep slaton and forgo a 5th receiver if it came to that. slaton's experienced as a WR (motion) in our system, as are all 3 of our receiving tightends and james casey. i'd rather have the depth at RB than at WR. we are a little thin though so anderson or tate are likely on our radar - players who can be put on special teams since they'll likely knock someone off of that unit.

i'm looking at merriweather as an upgrade over barber.

i really like graham at punter.

i'd trust wade's decision with olshansky - if wade wants him we need to get him.
Old 09-03-2011   #14
Ndevine7
All Pro

Rep Power: 273 Ndevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respectedNdevine7 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT22 View Post
I can also see former Arizona P Ben Graham being on the Texans radar.
is ben graham the aussie punter that used to play for the jets?
Old 09-04-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndevine7 View Post
is ben graham the aussie punter that used to play for the jets?
He was with the Jets early in his career........4 of 8 years.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The one thing that concerns me with the punter situation is who's holding for FG's & PAT's ..... Thats a critical element of the kicking game.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #17
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I definitely think we need another WR. One injury to any of our WRs and we are looking very thin there.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why? If healthy Slaton can catch and he has been suggested to be a WR in some schemes. SOme called him a Reggie Bush type RB.
Misunderstood what you were saying. I agree that he can provide a receiving element.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #19
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The one thing that concerns me with the punter situation is who's holding for FG's & PAT's ..... Thats a critical element of the kicking game.
Its not always the punter who is out there to hold. Occasionally it might be the backup QB. I think we need to get the best punter available on the market, period. At that point - ask Rackers who he is most comfortable with.
Old 09-04-2011   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ben Graham's name has been brought up and if the Texans were to sign him then he and Neil Rackers would have some history together since they were both on the Cardinals. I dunno if Graham was the holder in Arizona though.

However, Graham's stats aren't all that impressive. Matt Turk has had a better net average than him 4 out of the last 5 years.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read