Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-03-2011   #1
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2011 Houston Cougars Thread

I was going to start this today but got busy with other things. Then I was going to start one during the game bit couldn't for fear of a jinx. Now I can....

Houston avenges their 31-13 loss to UCLA last year but a 38-34 nail-biter!!!!!

I look at things from a Cougar perspective but IMO it could have been worse for UCLA. They got away with multiple pass interferences and one blatant personal foul at a crucial time late in the game. The ref at the far side basically took the day off I guess.

No matter. Houston wins!!!!!! Great start to the 2011 season. Keenum will only get better next week.

Old 09-03-2011   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2011 Houston Cougars Thread

The Cougars will probably be favored for the rest of their Charmin-soft schedule. Even undefeated likely won't get them a BCS bowl berth. But going undefeated would be very nice.
Old 09-03-2011   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Go Coogs!

Just win baby!

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

gwallaia, Greg (I hope I got your name right), I assume you were there. Thoughts? How was your rainy trip home?
Old 09-04-2011   #5
gwallaia

Rep Power: 88694 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Case Keenum looked good in his return. His timing with his receivers was crisp and on target although there were a couple of drops. The running game was mixed in well with the play-calling and really kept the UCLA defense indecisive.

The defense still has a long way to go but Marcus McGraw and Sammy Brown looked good. Very windy game and it was fun watching a couple of the kick-offs sail through the up-rights.

We are among the "Them"
Old 09-04-2011   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

I appreciated them letting the guys play, but there was some pretty iffy calls, IMO UCLA was the beneficiary more than not, but I was looking through my red-colored glasses. The late hit/elbow when Houston had that miserable drive with two minutes-three minutes left was pretty bad.

I thought they showed some signs on defense, but the result was fairly predictable in terms of scoring-against.

Awesome result is all I can say now.
Old 09-04-2011   #7
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Well, ESPN talks about those lying putrid USC bastards but this game...................

I hate ESPN...
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2011   #8
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Go Coogs!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #9
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to the Coogs, awesome job.
Old 09-04-2011   #10
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a great atmosphere at Robertson yesterday. The crowd was into the game from the start and the coogs fast start kept them in the game all day. The size of UCLA's players was just unreal they had a TE that was listed as 6'8" 270 lbs.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to be :

But the Coogs defense is not unlike the Texans defense and can't stop anyone. Kevin Sumlin has done an outstanding job as the HC, but until they can start recruiting big guys up front, the "D" will always get "gashed"!!!!
Old 09-04-2011   #12
gwallaia

Hey Bob Bummer, due to the construction on campus, we have moved our tailgating spot. We are right in front of the Architecture building in the shade of some oak trees.

Stop on by next time you are at a game.

We are among the "Them"
Old 09-04-2011   #13
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I hate to be :

But the Coogs defense is not unlike the Texans defense and can't stop anyone. Kevin Sumlin has done an outstanding job as the HC, but until they can start recruiting big guys up front, the "D" will always get "gashed"!!!!
I saw potential, but I understand you saying that completely.
Old 09-06-2011   #14
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

Go Coogs!

I don't know if we will ever have a defense.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I can only hope that the Coogs run the table but with that defense.... yeeeeesh. No way they get any BCS type thing going for them, but it'd be nice to have them in an okay bowl.
Old 09-08-2011   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

For the first time time in what seems like a long time to me, Houston has three really talented running backs.

I loved how balanced they were against UCLA, but I would actually like to see them run the ball even more. I know Keenum is all world, but I think it would help even more if they gave the backs a few more carries.

I'm not suggesting that they change what they do, because obviously it works. But the backs got 22 combined carries against UCLA. I would like to see that number get closer to 30.

Just think what Keenum could do when those safeties start sneaking up. Plus, it would be nice to limit the hits that Keenum takes if they can afford to. I don't think he is made of glass or anything, but he is the one guy that they really don't want to lose.

The defense did enough to win. That's about all you can say. All they have to do is keep the other team from scoring as much as the Coogs, which seems easy enough.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #17
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason they run the ball so well is their passing game is so potent. The defense has to account for the WR's and this opens ups the delays and draws for the RB's to gash the defense. UH struggles in short yardage situations for this reason.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
The reason they run the ball so well is their passing game is so potent. The defense has to account for the WR's and this opens ups the delays and draws for the RB's to gash the defense. UH struggles in short yardage situations for this reason.
I agree completely. I just think that this season Houston has more talented backs than they usually do, and they should take advantage of that.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #19
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Anybody have an online link for the game? I checked adthe but there was nothing.
Old 09-10-2011   #20
gwallaia

ESPN3 is supposed to have a live streaming link but I can't get it to work.

As usual, the Coogs are playing bad against a lower level team on the road. Happens all the time with this awful defense.

Coogs only ahead 20-17 at the half. Truly pathetic.

We are among the "Them"

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read