Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2011   #1
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Slaton as a Slot Receiver

I was thinking with all of the Texans depth at RB and lack of depth at WR, could they move Slaton to WR, specifically a slot receiver?

For those that remember, Eric Metcalf was a very successful running back to slot receiver conversion for the Atlanta Falcons back in 1995, and he and Steve Slaton have similar builds.

Of course this would all depend on Slaton's health. The big question, has Slaton fully recovered from his neck injury, has yet to be answered.
Old 09-03-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like you're thinking.

Slaton has talent, but he struggles with his vision when running the ball IMO.

Maybe if they use him in the slot and they get him the ball in space while on the run he can do some damage.

If they could use slaton like that in more of a utility role I think he'd all of a sudden become a much more valuable commodity.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Slaton as a Slot Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like you're thinking.

Slaton has talent, but he struggles with his vision when running the ball IMO.

Maybe if they use him in the slot and they get him the ball in space while on the run he can do some damage.

If they could use slaton like that in more of a utility role I think he'd all of a sudden become a much more valuable commodity.
Cracking idea, it would open up all sorts of different looks pre-snaps as well, and you could imagine the end around would always have to be accounted for by the defense.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

He'd still need to be asked to mix it up and run the ball........or that advantage/threat would be neutralized quickly.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fulltime slot--no. I don't see the generally fluid movement to run the complete route tree at an NFL level. As a part of a package occassionally, sure.
Old 09-03-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more comfortable with Casey doing this out of the FB spot than SS. Casey opens up many more options from a regular set without tipping anything off by offensive player substitutions.
Old 09-03-2011   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have been talking about adding new wrinkles to the offense. Perhaps this is one of them and why Steve stays with the team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2011   #8
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Fulltime slot--no. I don't see the generally fluid movement to run the complete route tree at an NFL level. As a part of a package occassionally, sure.
Do you see Slaton as less fluid than Metcalf was?

(This is a genuine question. Unfortunately, it is difficult to inflect tone in writing, like one can in speech.)
Old 09-03-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post

(This is a genuine question. Unfortunately, it is difficult to inflect tone in writing, like one can in speech.)
I see them as very similar, I just don't think Metcalf was all that great to start with and I got off of the SS bandwagon in his rookie year. Metcalf was a better P/KR returner but both have/had fumbling problems and both are/were inconsistent in their production.
Old 09-03-2011   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yes. Metcalf was very quick and could cut on a dime at near full speed. Had great lateral movement skills also. McCluster at KC style wise reminds me of Metcalf a bunch. (he has been moved to RB more than RB/WR combo he was drafted as though)
Old 09-03-2011   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton still has to hang onto the football, and I have zero confidence he can do that.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #12
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Slaton still has to hang onto the football, and I have zero confidence he can do that.
Slaton's fumble problems were caused by or exacerbated by a neck injury that caused numbness in his arm.

Peyton Manning had neck surgery this year and his slow recovery that might keep him out of the starting lineup is because the neck injury is causing him to have weakness in his arm.

If or when each of these players fully recovers from their respective surgeries then they should return to preinjury form. In otherwords, less fumbling for Slaton and Manning well be a pain in my neck.
Old 09-03-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Slaton's fumble problems were caused by or exacerbated by a neck injury that caused numbness in his arm.

Peyton Manning had neck surgery this year and his slow recovery that might keep him out of the starting lineup is because the neck injury is causing him to have weakness in his arm.

If or when each of these players fully recovers from their respective surgeries then they should return to preinjury form. In otherwords, less fumbling for Slaton and Manning well be a pain in my neck.
Slaton had fumbling problems in college, also. Much was made of his ability to hold onto the ball better in his rookie season. This makes me believe that his neck injury may have excacerbated a tendency to fumble when healthy.
Old 09-03-2011   #14
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Slaton had fumbling problems in college, also. Much was made of his ability to hold onto the ball better in his rookie season. This makes me believe that his neck injury may have excacerbated a tendency to fumble when healthy.
I also remember hearing that some of his fumbling problems were attributable to the way he held the ball. I'm not sure but it might have been Spencer Tillman that mentioned that he had needed to change the way he held the ball, and that he did.
Old 09-03-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I also remember hearing that some of his fumbling problems were attributable to the way he held the ball. I'm not sure but it might have been Slencer Tillman that mentioned that he had needed to change the way he held the ball, and that he did.
That rings a bell for me, too. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe being used as was envisioned when we drafted him will help. He won't be asked to carry the running game.
Old 09-03-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Winning/production cures all.

Would you take 7 fumbles if Slaton gained 1500 yards from scrimmage, 8 touchdowns?

Those are Bradshaw's stats & many consider him to be a top 10 back, or at least worth drafting in the first round of a FFL.

Steve Slaton had one good year, one bad year, & one year where he was overshadowed by Arian Foster (the Best Running Back in the League). Personally I think it would be foolish to dump Slaton when Tate is a bigger unknown. Especially when Tate's role will be what we know SS can already do. Third down back, what he was originally brought in for. It's not like we're spending millions/year on him.

If I'm the Texans, I would have Slaton & Ward on the block, I'll take the best deal offered. I'd try to get Odbonnaya on the PS, or search the waiver wires for a better option.

Bottom line, if you think Slaton is worthless, cut him. No one is going to give you anything for a worthless RB. If you think he still provides value to your team, then use it while you can.

& Slaton doesn't look like a receiver... I've yet to see him run anything that looks like a passing route.
Old 09-03-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Winning/production cures all.

Would you take 7 fumbles if Slaton gained 1500 yards from scrimmage, 8 touchdowns?

Those are Bradshaw's stats & many consider him to be a top 10 back, or at least worth drafting in the first round of a FFL.

Steve Slaton had one good year, one bad year, & one year where he was overshadowed by Arian Foster (the Best Running Back in the League). Personally I think it would be foolish to dump Slaton when Tate is a bigger unknown. Especially when Tate's role will be what we know SS can already do. Third down back, what he was originally brought in for. It's not like we're spending millions/year on him.

If I'm the Texans, I would have Slaton & Ward on the block, I'll take the best deal offered. I'd try to get Odbonnaya on the PS, or search the waiver wires for a better option.

Bottom line, if you think Slaton is worthless, cut him. No one is going to give you anything for a worthless RB. If you think he still provides value to your team, then use it while you can.

& Slaton doesn't look like a receiver... I've yet to see him run anything that looks like a passing route.
Timing is everything. Would you take those stats for Slaton if his 7 fumbles occurred at critical times in the game and the Texans lost those seven games as a direct result?
Old 09-03-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Timing is everything. Would you take those stats for Slaton if his 7 fumbles occurred at critical times in the game and the Texans lost those seven games as a direct result?
Like I said, winning cures all. We fumble on the goal line, a hair from scoring six points. Do I blame Slaton because our defense couldn't stop the Lions from driving 99 yards in the other direction?

You can't control when fumbles are going to happen. It's ridiculous to say Slaton sucks because his fumbles came at critical times, but Bradshaw is the man because his didn't.
Old 09-03-2011   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Like I said, winning cures all. We fumble on the goal line, a hair from scoring six points. Do I blame Slaton because our defense couldn't stop the Lions from driving 99 yards in the other direction?

You can't control when fumbles are going to happen. It's ridiculous to say Slaton sucks because his fumbles came at critical times, but Bradshaw is the man because his didn't.
I was giving a hypothetical situation. Besides, there is ample evidence that Slaton's fumbles usually occurred at critical moments in the game. Maybe because he recognized the situation and tried to do more that he should have such as fighting for extra yards?
So, in the given hypothetical situation, where do you stand?
BTW, it is not ridiculous say Slaton sucks because his fumbles came at horrible times. A good player finds a way to hold on to the ball at those times. A sucky player fumbles it. I couldn't care less about what Bradshaw does. His fumbles don't cost the Texans wins.
Old 09-03-2011   #20
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not just cut Slaton and find a true slot receiver?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read