Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-03-2011   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default When Rose-Colored Glasses Look at a Rose!

Are we all on the same page? This year is going to be special. I have been coasting along in quiet confidence the past few weeks. Fortunately, or unfortunately, exuberance has gotten the better of me:

Mark down this date. I am marking my territory. The Texans are about to burst into NFL relevancy. We are going to look back on the Texans draft 0f 2009 and late April signings as the heart of everything it built. Yes, the 2006 draft was a good one, and it brought the Texans three probowl players and other contributors. However, by the end of this year, every one will realize the magnitude of the 2009 off-season… And, I’m not even referring to the Texans best free agent acquisition in its history: Antonio Smith. At the risk of furthering my reputation as an obnoxious optimist, what the Texans did in 2009 will eventually be on one of those NFL top 10 lists highlighting all-time great NFL drafts. Call me crazy today, but be prepared to eat some mighty fine tasting crow with each one of my many “I told you so”‘s.

1. Brian Cushing- has already been an elite linebacker as a rookie. I know many are concerned about his health and steroid issues. The guy is a great football player, and as he returns to 100% from his patella surgery, he will be making a lot of plays in Wade’s defense. Bradie James had eight sacks under Wade Phillips as an ILB in a single season. Cushing is going to have seasons like that. If you have watched Lawerence Timmons on the Steelers, I think that is a pretty accurate picture of what Cushing will do in Wade’s 3-4.

2. Connor Barwin- Get ready for double-digit sacks. Barwin is going to explode this season. He is an absolutely perfect fit for the hybrid position in Wade’s 3-4. Barwin has a great motor, incredible athleticism, and an awareness on the field that will lead to batted balls, interceptions, and all kinds of special pursuit plays.

Continue reading- Prediction: 2009 Draft One of the Best ever
Old 09-03-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When Rose-Colored Glasses Look at a Rose!

Good read. I'm also really liking the effort/heart I see from Tim Jamison this preseason. Hopefully he continues to improve.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #3
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been on this wagon forever
Old 09-03-2011   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Queue Debbie Downers in 3...2...1
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

From the article linked above:
Quote:
By my count, that’s 5 elite NFL players at their respective positions: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, Casey, Foster. Also, that is elite depth and/or quality starting material at four positions: Antoine Caldwell, Brice McCain, Troy Nolan, and Tim Jamison.
Only Arian Foster can be considered an elite player, though the over-trained version of Cushing fit that description in 2009.

Still, 5 starters and 4 key reserves is an outstanding draft by any measure. Easily Smithiak's best draft (Smith wasn't with the team in for the '06 draft). This is the type of draft playoff teams have. As I've said all along, the talent is there. It's up to the coaches to utilize the talent.
Old 09-03-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

We're going into the 3rd year for this draft class, so it's the perfect time to rate them. I agree with Lucky.
Old 09-03-2011   #7
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Only Arian Foster can be considered an elite player, though the over-trained version of Cushing fit that description in 2009.

Still, 5 starters and 4 key reserves is an outstanding draft by any measure. Easily Smithiak's best draft (Smith wasn't with the team in for the '06 draft). This is the type of draft playoff teams have. As I've said all along, the talent is there. It's up to the coaches to utilize the talent.
Yep, elite is much too strong a word. Arian can be considered elite. The rest, questionable at BEST. Quin going into his first year at Safety is no where NEAR elite status at safety, Barwin hasn't showed anything, much less "elite" talent.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2011   #8
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I totally agree. When using the word "elite" it should be for the entire NFL not just the Houston Texans. Elite is used when describing Brady, Peterson, and Andre Johnson. The cream of the crop.

I know Foster was unbelievable last year. He needs to do it another couple of years to really be considered "elite". Cushing is explained perfectly above but he should also grow back the hair. Barwin needs to actually play a season. Casey needs to learn a new position. I will lump all of the players from the secondary in one assessment........You don't go from being on the worst defense ever to "elite" in one off season without actually doing anything.
Old 09-03-2011   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

dale/John likes to exaggerate a little in the preseason. No harm. Hopefully one day, he'll get to say "I told you so".
Old 09-03-2011   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
I totally agree. When using the word "elite" it should be for the entire NFL not just the Houston Texans. Elite is used when describing Brady, Peterson, and Andre Johnson. The cream of the crop.

I know Foster was unbelievable last year. He needs to do it another couple of years to really be considered "elite". Cushing is explained perfectly above but he should also grow back the hair. Barwin needs to actually play a season. Casey needs to learn a new position. I will lump all of the players from the secondary in one assessment........You don't go from being on the worst defense ever to "elite" in one off season without actually doing anything.
- hired one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the NFL (and let him control the draft!)
- drafted a stud DE
- drafted a promising young OLB
- signed the 2nd best CB available in the 2011 F/A class
- signed a very solid FS from a recognized playoff caliber defense

...you'll have to help me understand your "without actually doing anything" statement.
You completely lost me.

...not that that's a hard thing to do
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #11
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5488 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
dale/John likes to exaggerate a little in the preseason. No harm. Hopefully one day, he'll get to say "I told you so".
Like I did with Schaub, everyone I talked to in person about him wanted him gone. (After 2 unfinished seasons)

I said hell be fair, the guy hasn't had a full season yet, when he does THEN judge him, besides he is a major upgrade from HWSNBM.

Wouldn't you know, after his first full season, they changed their tune.

Sorry, I just love saying those words, even on the net.

I have high hopes for this season and after last seasons heart break, I didn't think I could have hope again so soon.
Old 09-03-2011   #12
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
- hired one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the NFL (and let him control the draft!)
- drafted a stud DE
- drafted a promising young OLB
- signed the 2nd best CB available in the 2011 F/A class
- signed a very solid FS from a recognized playoff caliber defense

...you'll have to help me understand your "without actually doing anything" statement.
You completely lost me.

...not that that's a hard thing to do
I think he means they need to prove something first before being "elite"...

just a hunch...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post

The article was predictive. I wasn't nominating anyone for an award based on past performances. I understand, fully, that none of those guys have earned a trip to the Hall of Fame. I get that. I was trying to communicate my enthusiasm for the season and particularly this group of players in a fun way. I really do believe this will turn out to be an amazing draft class.

If I had "predicted" that Andre Johnson would be an all-time great wide receiver in 2004, I would not have been wrong... even though he had yet to prove it for "another couple of years".

My future forecast for this draft class is what I wrote in the article. Nobody knows right now whether I am right or wrong. That being said, many of you may have learned with some certainty that I have some screws loose. Then again, I don't recall denying that.

So, to be clear, I am taking limited information that I have now and forecasting what is to come, though it is not here yet:

1. Arian Foster will be a great RB the next few years.
2. Connor Barwin will be among the best hybrid pass rushers the next few years.
3. Brian Cushing will have many more seasons like the one he had as a rookie.
4. Glover Quin will become one of the best safeties in the NFL.
5. James Casey will be one of the few true difference-makers playing fullback in the NFL.
Old 09-03-2011   #14
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

good read.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #15
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Queue Debbie Downers in 3...2...1
HERE!

Had this been written by someone or another site NOT named "Texans Bull Blog" I might have gotten a chubby. Howeva! This seems to be just another fan that has their own opinion about their favorite team how skewed it is....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #16
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
2. Connor Barwin will be among the best hybrid pass rushers the next few years.
Dunno why you are so high on Connor Barwin, I would say by end of year he'll be second string.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #17
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Very cool thread title. Never heard that one before.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011   #18
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I think he means they need to prove something first before being "elite"...

just a hunch...
Yep. Win games and make plays on the field in real games when it matters.

I know they have made changes and I definitely like the direction of the team but they need to prove to me that they aren't the same old Texans.
Old 09-04-2011   #19
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Dunno why you are so high on Connor Barwin, I would say by end of year he'll be second string.
He showed a lot in those 10 plays he had last year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read