Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2011   #1
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 15444 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Examining the Texans personality...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...am-personality

The Houston Texans are talented.

I don’t buy that they are a finesse team or that they are soft, two criticisms some attach to them.

But as they count down to their opener Sept. 11 against the Colts, I do question their collective personality.

It’s a team loaded with nice, mellow guys. General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak are quite calm. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and offensive coordinator Rick Denison are low-key.

There are significant guys on the roster who can flip switches on Sunday and become mean, but what’s the overriding, default persona?

Nice.

It’s a team of nice guys.

A 53-man roster needs to be more diverse than that, just like your office or mine. I’m of the opinion they need a jerk, a rabble rouser, a pest.

Dr. Bryan L. Bonner is an associate professor of organizational behavior at the University of Utah and an associate editor of the journal "Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice." I asked him about my locker room theory.

“That’s an interesting question,” Bonner said. “Research supports the idea that for groups to be successful that they need some level of ‘functional conflict,’ and that without it they become stagnant and team members don’t ask one another the questions or make the challenges that they need to in order for the group to reach new levels of performance.

“Having some difficult people in the group CAN help the group, but only if the conflict is about the task and not about the personalities of the people involved -- that is, it has to be about the game or the effort or the approach, etc. and can’t get personal to be helpful, otherwise the environment can get toxic. I’d say you might benefit from having an SOB or two in this situation.”

I’m not advocating arrests or fights, just more pop, more pulse, more functional conflict.

Bernard Pollard brought some of that, and it had a good early effect on the team. But once it became clear he was not a multidimensional safety, the personality didn’t matter so much because the play wasn’t good enough. He’s gone now. Some teammates say defensive end Antonio Smith fits the bill.

The word that best describes the guy I think the Texans need is one not suited for print here, but I used it while visiting with the Texans during training camp, and they picked up on it as I broached the subject. We substitute “jerk” the rest of the way here.

Many disagreed with my assessment:

Receiver Kevin Walter: “This is football, you’ve got to know when to turn the switch on. I can be standing here talking to you and be a nice guy, but when I go out there, I’m not so nice. I know how to become a [jerk], excuse me for saying that, when the game lights turn on.

“You have to play with a passion, you have to play with a swagger, you have to play with a lot of intensity. You can’t just be a nice guy, ‘Hey, how are you doing?’ That’s not football. I think we do have that, nice guys who know how to turn the switch on.”

J.J. Watt: “I don’t really think it’s necessary. I think what you need is a guy who’s like that on the field. You almost want 22 guys who are like that on the field. But I’ll take myself as an example. Once I step off the field, I am a soft-spoken guy. I’m not going to start any fights. Once I step between those lines I am a whole different guy.”

Running back Arian Foster: “Nobody is as nice as you think he is.”

Not all the Texans think the status quo is good enough, or that the status quo is what we think it is.

“I don’t disagree with that, I think you do need those guys, I think we have them,” outside linebacker Connor Barwin said. “But I am going to let you guys figure out who fits that bill. I don’t think you need guys out getting in trouble or starting fights. You need guys who are tough and we have guys who show their toughness out here every day.”

Just one player really subscribed to my theory.

But if you find one and he’s Andre Johnson, that’s pretty significant.

Johnson is certainly low-key, but he has a mean streak -- see his pummeling of Cortland Finnegan last year if you want to see game-day attitude. Johnson is a leader by example who will speak up when he feels he needs to.

But, he told me, he believes the team does need more than that.

He emphasized he was not questioning management or the coaching staff, and doesn’t care to meddle in their work. But he used the same word I did, and said he’d welcome a couple teammates who wear the label.

“Everybody has their own opinion,” he said. “In my opinion, you have to have those [jerk] guys. Every team has them. I think you have to have a few of them. You have some guys that are [jerks] but when they get on that field, they play big for your team.

“Antonio Smith is one. On offense, I don’t think we really have any. In my opinion, we can win without one but it would be nice to have one. You would like to have like a [jerk] lineman. I think it’s more a thing for O-linemen or D-linemen, linebacker, those are the guys you want to have [jerks].”

So Johnson wouldn’t mind having an offensive lineman in the lineup who was kind of a surly jerk?

“No, not at all,” Johnson said.

He agreed that team personality is a piece of the puzzle, and the Texans may not have enough different pieces. Like me, he’s not looking for anyone who’s on the news for the wrong reasons, and he thinks that’s a big part of the reason the team tends to steer away from anyone who might fill the role.

There is a danger there, sure, but Rick Smith and Kubiak need to have faith in their ability to judge it.

The Colts are a different kind of team, policed by a controlling quarterback and his minions. Peyton Manning fills the role as needed. The Jaguars are heading the nice direction and don’t necessarily have someone who wears the label. The Titans added defensive tackle Shaun Smith, in part, because he is the sort of guy we’re talking about.

In Houston, Kubiak disagreed with the idea that the Texans need more spice in their locker room or on their coaching roster.

“I don’t know that I am low-key every day or Wade is low-key every day,” Kubiak said. “What it boils down to is you’ve got a job to do whether you are a coach or a player. If you’re a guy who doesn’t scream and holler and you do the job right, then you’re going to stick around in this business.

“If you scream and holler and you do a [lousy] job, you’re not going to stick around in this business. I don’t think that’s a deciding factor. ... I’ve seen people get it done in a lot of ways.”

Maybe I am off. Maybe I overrate the jerk factor.

This team of nice guys may well break through and finally get to the playoffs.

But I’d sure like to see what it's like with a [jerk].
Old 09-01-2011   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Examining the Texans personality...

I think Andre is the perfect poster boy for the Texans personality.

I just hope the team treats everyone else in the NFL like a punk ass irishman!
Old 09-02-2011   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I think Andre is the perfect poster boy for the Texans personality.

I just hope the team treats everyone else in the NFL like a punk ass irishman!

I do like Irish Whiskey .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

As soon as we start winning the "attitude" subject will drop. Of course if we lose then that just adds to the argument.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
As soon as we start winning the "attitude" subject will drop. Of course if we lose then that just adds to the argument.
I honestly don't think we'll start winning until we get a [jerk] kinda guy... like Andre said, mainly on offense.

& I mean a jerk guy like Peyton. Not Bernard, running his mouth off at the other team.... making them mad, getting them amped up, or Dunta Robinson, all talk & not able to back it up.

Peyton is a jerk when he needs to be, telling his team when they need to step it up, but he also tells them, "My fault" or "I got you."

If Duane Brown or Eric Winston falls asleep at the snap & a free rusher nails the crap out of Matt, do you think anyone says, "Hey man, Wake the F@# up!!" or do you think it's like, "Forget it man... shit happens, worry about the next one."

We need guys to challenge each other to elevate their play.

And I understand, you don't need to be a jerk to do it. Demeco & Cushing has a thing going that gets you the same results. Mario has Antonio. Kareem needs to build that kind of a bond with Jjo.. or even Quin. The OL though.... I think they need a real captain to hold the other guys accountable. But I don't think any of them are good enough to be that man.

Jacoby needs to get in gear & become determined to take Kevin's job. I've got to think Bryant Johnson is zeroed in on Jacoby's job.

I've got nothing against Schaub & right now, he is the better QB. But I can see Lienart being that prick we need.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 09-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
It’s a team loaded with nice, mellow guys. General manager Rick Smith and coach Gary Kubiak are quite calm.
These are self-propagating myths. We see almost nothing of Smith's interactions with the team or other teams. The reports which have come out have been of Smith being harsh. Kubiak is ordinarily calm but you can watch on the sidelines and he goes from 0 to pissed off in about .1 second. I have lip read expletives coming out of his mouth dozens of times. Heck, Sage Rosenfels complained about how harsh he was. It has also been reported he has a very different locker room demeanor. Bottom line is soft is just a label people put on teams until they win.
Old 09-02-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
These are self-propagating myths. We see almost nothing of Smith's interactions with the team or other teams. The reports which have come out have been of Smith being harsh. Kubiak is ordinarily calm but you can watch on the sidelines and he goes from 0 to pissed off in about .1 second. I have lip read expletives coming out of his mouth dozens of times. Heck, Sage Rosenfels complained about how harsh he was. It has also been reported he has a very different locker room demeanor. Bottom line is soft is just a label people put on teams until they win.
Once we start winning, I bet we'll have a dozen people comment on how Kubiak is getting more vocal on the sidelines.
Old 09-02-2011   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I honestly don't think we'll start winning until we get a [jerk] kinda guy... like Andre said, mainly on offense.

& I mean a jerk guy like Peyton. Not Bernard, running his mouth off at the other team.... making them mad, getting them amped up, or Dunta Robinson, all talk & not able to back it up.

Peyton is a jerk when he needs to be, telling his team when they need to step it up, but he also tells them, "My fault" or "I got you."

If Duane Brown or Eric Winston falls asleep at the snap & a free rusher nails the crap out of Matt, do you think anyone says, "Hey man, Wake the F@# up!!" or do you think it's like, "Forget it man... shit happens, worry about the next one."

We need guys to challenge each other to elevate their play.

And I understand, you don't need to be a jerk to do it. Demeco & Cushing has a thing going that gets you the same results. Mario has Antonio. Kareem needs to build that kind of a bond with KJack.. or even Quin. The OL though.... I think they need a real captain to hold the other guys accountable. But I don't think any of them are good enough to be that man.

Jacoby needs to get in gear & become determined to take Kevin's job. I've got to think Bryant Johnson is zeroed in on Jacoby's job.

I've got nothing against Schaub & right now, he is the better QB. But I can see Lienart being that prick we need.

You bring up some very valid points, and I agree.

Schaub needs to become the type of qb that - when Jacoby drops yet another pass - pull him to the side and rips him a new one. Jacoby is waaaay too inconsistent, and someone needs to light into him. He's had way too many "quiet talks" with Kubiak in his office. It's time for a teammate - the qb - to light into him DURING A GAME.

Peyton is a nice guy, yes, but it's very clear that he is not to be crossed. He will rip his teammates a new one if he has to.

Another example is Tom Brady. I always thought he was Mr Nice. But when I saw that tirade from a year or so ago I was stunned. Dude was DESTROYING his linemen. In public. On camera. It was an epic sports rant by a leader.

So, no, we don't necessarily need "bad guys" we just need guys to become a-holes when necessary.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Once we start winning, I bet we'll have a dozen people comment on how Kubiak is getting more vocal on the sidelines.
Maybe, but the question is whose sideline will Kubiak be on when that happens!
Old 09-02-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
You bring up some very valid points, and I agree.

Schaub needs to become the type of qb that - when Jacoby drops yet another pass - pull him to the side and rips him a new one. Jacoby is waaaay too inconsistent, and someone needs to light into him. He's had way too many "quiet talks" with Kubiak in his office. It's time for a teammate - the qb - to light into him DURING A GAME.
I think the thing that makes it work for Manning is when it's his fault, or even questionable he'll let the guy know. You can see him at least once a game telling his guys, "My fault" or "that was on me"

So yeah, if you hit Jacoby square in the hands & he drops it.. rip away. If you sail one three feet over his head, let him know it was on you. If he plucks one out of the air for an amazing TD grab, let him know how much you appreciates it when he gets it.

PS - I know Jacoby has consistency issues & isn't playing at the level we expect him to at this stage in his career. But I think the plays he does make..... buys him a little slack. I know some people cringe with fear when a ball is thrown his way... but I'm teaming with anticipation.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read