Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-01-2011   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Film study vs Niners

I'm not sure how LZ came up with the idea the Texans played JJ mostly press coverage to defend the slant/short route.

There were 25 defensive snaps in the first half and I counted JJ in press a whopping 4 times. Jackson actually was in press coverage slightly more (a whopping number of 5 times.)

I think one of the way Wade's D help defend the slant (at times) was to use one of the LB (at least at the beginning) whether it's an OLB or ILB.

I don't have much time right now, but you can check the 3 plays I just posted on photobucket.

Not all 3 are meant to show this point.
(I will try to post more plays for that purpose when I have some time.)

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...iners/Qtr%201/
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Film study vs Niners

This play (the first offensive play for the Niners) was a run, but if you notice Barwin lined up in such a way as to discourage the TE in running a slant.
(It is possible that Barwin will jam the TE if he runs that route.)

You can see that Barwin looked to make sure the TE doesn't run the slant before he played the run (he was the first one who made the stop on the cut back run by Dixon (and limited him to 3 yards.)

The sequence:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...win%20Cushing/
Old 09-01-2011   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Barwin's chances againt TEs and Manning seemed to move with TE. We have to shut down the passing game and still slow the run.
Old 09-02-2011   #4
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm not sure how LZ came up with the idea the Texans played JJ mostly press coverage to defend the slant/short route.

There were 25 defensive snaps in the first half and I counted JJ in press a whopping 4 times. Jackson actually was in press coverage slightly more (a whopping number of 5 times.)

I think one of the way Wade's D help defend the slant (at times) was to use one of the LB (at least at the beginning) whether it's an OLB or ILB.

I don't have much time right now, but you can check the 3 plays I just posted on photobucket.

Not all 3 are meant to show this point.
(I will try to post more plays for that purpose when I have some time.)

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...iners/Qtr%201/
nice post man like your breakdown hope to see more in the RS
Old 09-02-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
This play (the first offensive play for the Niners) was a run, but if you notice Barwin lined up in such a way as to discourage the TE in running a slant.
(It is possible that Barwin will jam the TE if he runs that route.)

The CBs playing so far back is also to defend the slant. They watch the QB/Receiver... if they see the slant they run up & blow it up.

We're a soft football team, so blow it up translates to a mis-tackle after the catch is made.

Other teams it translate to hitting the receiver so hard he drops the ball & apologizes for making an attempt to catch it.

Old 09-08-2011   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Thanks to all that are interested in this kind of thread; I just love to study football.

From my understanding of Wade's playbook (Falcons 2003), he stressed defending from the inside out.
Against the pass, it means (at least, to me) that the middle - whether it's the deep hole or the short hole - should always be defended (either/and/or) by a safety, a LB, or the action of the pass rush designed to guard the passing lanes.

As usual, I must profess that I'm not a real XO guy, I'm not a coach and I'm not a player.
All the film study and breaking down of plays have always been done with this in mind.
I always welcome any comment, input, correction, etc.
Old 09-08-2011   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

This is the second defensive play of the game.
2-7-SF 27 (8:57) A.Smith pass short right to T.Ginn to SF 35 for 8 yards (K.Jackson). Caught at SF 33. YAC 2-yds
The lineup shows the Niners in the I-formation; the FB (#49 Miller), however, went into motion to just outside the TE (strong left) and then ran an out route to the left flat.
The Z receiver (#84 Morgan) lined up in the left slot, occupied the SAM (Barwin) temporarily before running a short hook route to the front of the strong-side short hook/curl area.
This was probably designed to create a screen for the FB (in case the SAM was to peel and follow the out route.)
The TE #85 Davis also ran a short hook route and sat in front of the short hole.
The X receiver (#19 Ginn) ran a quick slant to the front of the weak-side short hook/curl area.
The RB (#24 Dixon) ran a quick out to the right flat.

Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2011   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Old 09-08-2011   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The QB made a good read and saw that the MO Sharpton was focusing on the TE (and the D was heavily loaded on the strong side.)

Old 09-08-2011   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

On the weeak side, unless the WILL (Mario) peeled to follow the RB out to the flat, LCB Jackson is left to divide his attention between Ginn and Dixon.
And as Jackson played off-man (about 8 yards from the LOS), either route is difficult to defend.

The Texans, IMO, planned to help defend the slant with NT Cody.
LDE Watt slanted into the weak side A gap to take away the RG and also to occupy the C.
NT Cody stunted to the outside, but wasn't able to get to the weak-side B gap soon enough to guard that passing lane, hence the completion.

Look in the middle to see Watt taking on the double team while Cody was going for the weak-side B gap.

It was a sound defensive scheme that was bested by a good read by the QB and a good route by the receiver (it is quite possible that the receiver adjusted his route accordingly.)
Here, you (the D) gave up a short pass, but you had a chance at a deflection by Cody (with either Sharpton or Jackson nearby for an attempt at an INT.)

Last edited by 76Texan; 09-09-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2011   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

+Additionally concerning the passing lanes, the check-down to the RB might be challenged by the WILL Mario as he pushed the RT onto the hashmarks toward the QB. Failing this, Mario, Cody and Jackson were still in position to converge on the RB in the flat.

The middle passing lane, obviously, was guarded by Watt in his slanting action and the short hole defended by the MO Sharpton.

The left passing lanes were guarded (inside by Watt and outside by Barwin.)
Antonio had attacked the strong side B gap, taking the LG Iupati with him;
he also occupied the LT Staley (and the C gap) so that Barwin can stunt inside, toward the A gap (one of the passing lanes.)

See picture from the above post and the following one:

You can see that Barwin stunted to the inside toward the A gap.

(Side note - I think that Barwin was to jam the FB, but the Z receiver had gotten to him first as mentioned earlier.
This didn't deter him from his assignemnt though.)

On Barwin's side (the strong side), the action indicated that the D was in a zone that also had elements of man coverage blended in, at least that's how I see it.

In pure man coverage, we would have seen the MIKE Cushing jump on the FB to the flat and Joseph come down on the Z receiver Morgan. Instead, we saw that Cushing "took" on the receiver in the hook/curl area and Joseph defended the flat.
Either Mario would peel to follow the RB or Jackson would have to (leaving the receiver to Quin.)

On the other hand, if it was pure zone, the MO Sharpton would have dropped immediately into the short hole and worked toward the weak hook/curl zone (on Jackson's side.)

Overall, the pass rush and the coverage worked together pretty tightly.
And the defense still had both safeties to defend over the top.

It's a far cry from the scheme of last year, which seems to be put together haphazardly without coherence between the 3 units from time to time.
Or maybe it only seemed that way because some of the players didn't fulfill their assignments for some reason(s)?!?

The whole sequence can be found here:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...inn%20for%207/

Last edited by 76Texan; 09-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2011   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

1-10-SF 24 (9:29) A.Dixon left guard to SF 27 for 3 yards (C.Barwin; B.Cushing).

I'm going back to the first Niners offensive play to see how the D played their gap assignments and forced the cut back.

Look at how low Mario got. He has gotten lower more consistently than in previous games (you ought to see last year to see more of a difference. He often looked more like on the other play.)

Still, he's just too tall and sometimes just doesn't look "low enough" even on this play, for example.
Maybe he can bend his knees a little bit more?

Old 09-09-2011   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Look at how Mario began by attacking the WeakSide C gap, read the run and started pushing the RT back toward the pile, squeezing the B gap.
Note: Unless there's a stunt, the 34 WILL (Mario) always goes after the C gap (outside the weakside Offensive Tackle.)

Watt also palyed well; he started out attacking the WeakSide B gap, read the run, stood up the RG, disengaged and worked into the A gap.

The NT Cody worked the StrongSide A gap, taking on the double team C & LG.

The WILL Sharpton immediately plugged the WeakSide A gap, where the lead blocker (the FB) was going.

Also look how Cushing pushed the middle, scraped to the weak side A gap first (going past the hashmarks) and only followed the ball when the runner cut back.

As the FB lead through the weakside A gap, it created 2 more gaps, and this is where the 2 ILBs are supposed to get to first (if they are going by the playbook.)

Old 09-09-2011   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

RDE Smith worked the StrongSide B gap.

All the gaps were taking care off, forcing the runner to cut all the way to the back side (Strong Side).

There, he didn't think he can outrun Barwin (who was responsible for the C gap = the cut back) so he lowered his shoulder and turned upfield.

Barwin and Cushing sandwiched the runner, yet hthe momentum still carried him an extra 2 yards or thereabout.

The Texans had seven defenders against 6 blockers.
That seven included Barwin and Cushing who combined for the tackle.

Here, the runner even had to make the cut (not much time for acceleration in vertical mode).
He knew that Barwin was coming from the outside, so he had to duck down, lowered his shoulder and tried to gain as much as he can.
And he still gained almost 2 more yards after contact with two big bodies (Barwin and Cushing.)

(I also want to note how the gaps were filled as opposed to a certain run in the Saints game where Rey and Leebig put emphasis on the NT being pushed back something like 1-1/2 yards by the double team. On this play, Cody got pushed back about a yard.
It is important, but I think the action of the ILBs are equally important and a guy who doesn't work to his gap first isn't doing his job the right way - Dobbins- as apposed to the NT who, even though he doesn't sustain the double team strong enough, he was still on his assignemnt.)

The whole sequence:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...win%20Cushing/

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read