Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2011   #1
TexMexMom
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respectedTexMexMom is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ok y'all...

Surely what I tell you about Arian won't speed around the internet like his tweets did, but this is getting beyond crazy!

Arian has a great sense of humor. Does everyone get it? No, but it's there and if you talk to him in person, you'll see it immediately. The pic of his hammy was from the day after the SF game. The white stuff is probably just fluid. There was no tear and he is fine. He's been cleared of anything major and now will just ease back when he's feeling ready.

My advice to him was to be true to himself. Will everyone like it? No. But I don't believe he should live his life in accordance to anyone else, as long as he is not breaking laws or bringing shame and embarrassment to the Texans organization, his wife and daughter, or us as a family. As his mother, I just want him to remain who he is.

Arian is not one to be changed by income. Is it wonderful for him to be able to provide for himself, wife and daughter? Absolutely! But never if it is going to change who he is as a human being...above and beyond football.

I read the mega thread about this whole thing. Y'all can choose to believe me or not...it's your call, but Arian is more driven and passionate about this game than most will ever know. You should be able to tell that by his reaction to Fantasy Football. He understands the draw and popularity but he sees the change in the fandom because of it. He and his brother played football since they were 7 & 9 years old. They grew up around it. Their dad played in college and had a brief stint with the Broncos back in the late 70's, early 80's. It's what we all loved to do as a family. Watch, play or talk about football. Even before Arian attended the University of Tennessee, we were SEC folks all the way. Ok, Florida State too.

On New Year's Day, our family tradition was to get up early and watch Bowl games all day long. I fixed huge pots of green chile stew and red chile posole and we ate and watched football. It's what we do.

My dad was an avid football watcher but he loved the Redskins. He taught me all there was to know about the game at an early age but allowed me to pick my own team. So in the 6th grade, I became a Raider fan. My daughter, who's 29, is still a die hard Raider fan because of me. My other son latched onto the 49ers.(?) We enjoyed the hard core rivalries growing up. It is tradition with us and truly the one thing that bonds us all still to this day.

I say all this only to explain to you that Arian loves the game. He knows about fandom. Hell, one time the Raiders were playing the Chargers when Kellen Winslow (Sr.) was killing us at the end of the game. I screamed at the TV that I hoped he would break a leg. To my horror, he did get injured and if I remember correctly, it was serious enough to alter his career. I learned my lesson. I've never done it since and it made me look at players in a whole different light. I swear it affected me deeply. So when my sons started to play the game, I worked really hard to make sure that folks knew they were PEOPLE first, players as a secondary thing. I preached to my sons that a football player was not who they are, but something that they do.

That's why I know this game and all its byproducts, good and bad, will not change who Arian Foster is. So relax. He's a good guy with good intentions and if he screws up again, you know then he's just like the rest of us.

***Forgive the long post***
TexMexMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok y'all...

Nice to see you back TexMexMom, and thanks for posting your opinion.

The stuff you read here is written by rabid fans starved of a decent NFL team for a long time now. I wouldn't take it seriously, or personally. As far as I know, we are all Arian fans here.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

This can never be said enough. Moms rule.
Old 08-31-2011   #4
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's outstanding to have a relative of one of the players posting regularly on the board here and not hiding who they are. Especially when it's somebody related to someone of Arian's caliber. (After reading your post, I feel like I get to call him that for some reason. )
Old 08-31-2011   #5
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The stuff you read here is written by rabid fans starved of a decent NFL team for a long time now. I wouldn't take it seriously, or personally. As far as I know, we are all Arian fans here.
This, a thousand times this.

Most, if not all, of us are starting to approach the crest of the preseason/it's almost real football time fervor. We are desperate for news, any news, on the time, it's players and especially it's stars. Give us a morsel and we will jump on it like a pack of starved rats.

More power to Arian's sense of humor, eagerly awaiting ESPN and Clayton's response to falling for a joke and thanks for posting TexMexMOM, ma'am.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMexMom View Post
Surely what I tell you about Arian won't speed around the internet like his tweets did, but this is getting beyond crazy!

Arian has a great sense of humor. Does everyone get it? No, but it's there and if you talk to him in person, you'll see it immediately. The pic of his hammy was from the day after the SF game. The white stuff is probably just fluid. There was no tear and he is fine. He's been cleared of anything major and now will just ease back when he's feeling ready.

My advice to him was to be true to himself. Will everyone like it? No. But I don't believe he should live his life in accordance to anyone else, as long as he is not breaking laws or bringing shame and embarrassment to the Texans organization, his wife and daughter, or us as a family. As his mother, I just want him to remain who he is.

Arian is not one to be changed by income. Is it wonderful for him to be able to provide for himself, wife and daughter? Absolutely! But never if it is going to change who he is as a human being...above and beyond football.

I read the mega thread about this whole thing. Y'all can choose to believe me or not...it's your call, but Arian is more driven and passionate about this game than most will ever know. You should be able to tell that by his reaction to Fantasy Football. He understands the draw and popularity but he sees the change in the fandom because of it. He and his brother played football since they were 7 & 9 years old. They grew up around it. Their dad played in college and had a brief stint with the Broncos back in the late 70's, early 80's. It's what we all loved to do as a family. Watch, play or talk about football. Even before Arian attended the University of Tennessee, we were SEC folks all the way. Ok, Florida State too.

On New Year's Day, our family tradition was to get up early and watch Bowl games all day long. I fixed huge pots of green chile stew and red chile posole and we ate and watched football. It's what we do.

My dad was an avid football watcher but he loved the Redskins. He taught me all there was to know about the game at an early age but allowed me to pick my own team. So in the 6th grade, I became a Raider fan. My daughter, who's 29, is still a die hard Raider fan because of me. My other son latched onto the 49ers.(?) We enjoyed the hard core rivalries growing up. It is tradition with us and truly the one thing that bonds us all still to this day.

I say all this only to explain to you that Arian loves the game. He knows about fandom. Hell, one time the Raiders were playing the Chargers when Kellen Winslow (Sr.) was killing us at the end of the game. I screamed at the TV that I hoped he would break a leg. To my horror, he did get injured and if I remember correctly, it was serious enough to alter his career. I learned my lesson. I've never done it since and it made me look at players in a whole different light. I swear it affected me deeply. So when my sons started to play the game, I worked really hard to make sure that folks knew they were PEOPLE first, players as a secondary thing. I preached to my sons that a football player was not who they are, but something that they do.

That's why I know this game and all its byproducts, good and bad, will not change who Arian Foster is. So relax. He's a good guy with good intentions and if he screws up again, you know then he's just like the rest of us.

It is great to see you back and posting on MB. Welcome and I hope you and your's are well. I remember the info you presented to us the year Arian was signed but you went away; it must be hard to see your child discussed and evaluated by only minimal information we think we have. Anyway, I for one thank you for any info you provide. I don't know of any poster who thinks your son is not a great football player but some get concerned with things he allegedly says. I have argued for years to get a big, strong RB and Arian filled that dream. I also like Ward and Tate and hope Arian is open to giving up a few carries to his teammates so he will be strong and rested into the play offs.

Please pass on my compliments on how he is handling his contract in this last year. He has won a lot of respect from people I encounter by his maturity. I expect him to lead us to several Super Bowls.

Steve
Old 08-31-2011   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting. You are a brave woman for joining here and must have a wonderful sense of perspective and balance for not letting what gets posted here get to you.

Houston as a town is long overdue for some good news in sports, forgive us for being antsy before the season starts.

ps, make Khari make you your own emoticon. you deserve one.
Old 08-31-2011   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

once the games start most of the drama will leech out of this weird off-season-lockout, end of humanity, it's hot as hell this summer (or we are flooding like crazy), lead in to the regular season. The FF crowd will get goofy with any injury to a top 3 pick....it's like the scorpion and the turtle story.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #9
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Arian Foster is ... a good guy with good intentions...
We know this.

Ignore the naysayers.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoy his sense of humor. But I dont like to see this kind of attention payed to our team for tweets and what not. I hope Arian learns to interact with Texans/Arian fans, rather than the media, or other teams fans or 'fantasy football only' fans.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #11
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you for everything... Like having Arian and raising him and stuff, I'm sure you are all enjoying the results as well...

Pro-awesomeness...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #12
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Their dad ... had a brief stint with the Broncos back in the late 70's, early 80's.
Ah, that explains how we were lucky enough to get Arian. I KNEW there had to be a Broncos or CSU connection somehow.

Don't worry about all the media hype. Arian is just so far away from what the media has come to expect from a running back intellectually that they just don't know what to make of him.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

All he did was led the NFL in rushing yet one gets the impression that was just a tip of the iceberg. Get well Arian

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually follow Arian on Twitter and love his tweets.

But let me ask you this, TexMexMom. Do you really have Arian on your fantasy football team? Ha
Old 08-31-2011   #15
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not only forgiven----looking forward to more!

Thanks!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you so much, TexMexMom, for sharing your perspective with us. It is truly an amazing day and age when we can read the thoughts of someone so close to a player that we cherish so much.

I am teaching my 9 yo son the same ideals that you mentioned in your post. He has become a big fan of football the past couple of years, and in his zeal to support the team, sometimes he goes overboard. I had to remind him that it's not a good thing to wish injury on an opponent or revel in a player getting hurt, even if it is Peyton Manning. I teach him that ALL players are individual people, with the same hopes and desires that we have, the same love in their hearts for their families that we share with each other as a family.

So thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I plan to let him read your post when I get home tonight. He will be thrilled that he's reading the words typed from Arian Foster's mom! Along with Andre Johnson, Arian is one of his heroes. And please thank your son on my behalf for being such a stand-up guy that I can allow own son to look up to him. That cannot be said for many athletes these days. I had Earl Campbell growing up, and I am very thankful that our hometown team has solid people playing for them in that regard.

And tell Arian that his TD celebration is about as classy as you can get. My son now does it when he's scored a touchdown, and gets compliments from coaches, opponents, and refs for showing such respect. That is a wonderful thing to share with a young boy. Sportsmanship and honor are traits that are often learned by example, and Arian is an excellent role model in that regard.
Old 08-31-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Thank you so much, TexMexMom, for sharing your perspective with us. It is truly an amazing day and age when we can read the thoughts of someone so close to a player that we cherish so much.

I am teaching my 9 yo son the same ideals that you mentioned in your post. He has become a big fan of football the past couple of years, and in his zeal to support the team, sometimes he goes overboard. I had to remind him that it's not a good thing to wish injury on an opponent or revel in a player getting hurt, even if it is Peyton Manning. I teach him that ALL players are individual people, with the same hopes and desires that we have, the same love in their hearts for their families that we share with each other as a family.

So thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I plan to let him read your post when I get home tonight. He will be thrilled that he's reading the words typed from Arian Foster's mom! Along with Andre Johnson, Arian is one of his heroes. And please thank your son on my behalf for being such a stand-up guy that I can allow own son to look up to him. That cannot be said for many athletes these days. I had Earl Campbell growing up, and I am very thankful that our hometown team has solid people playing for them in that regard.

And tell Arian that his TD celebration is about as classy as you can get. My son now does it when he's scored a touchdown, and gets compliments from coaches, opponents, and refs for showing such respect. That is a wonderful thing to share with a young boy. Sportsmanship and honor are traits that are often learned by example, and Arian is an excellent role model in that regard.
Good post, DB and thanks for posting how you work with
your son. I know there are fathers out there working with their children and I always try to compliment them. Too many dads not stepping up. I host a men's group Weds nights and we focus on the importance of being good men and good fathers. Kudos to you sir!
Old 08-31-2011   #18
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all who cares how Arian Acts !!!!!!!!

Most people only care how good he runs on SUnday

for thoes hipsters who check his daily twitter life everyday maybe they care

just my 2 cents
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #19
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Take it with a grain of salt mamma and understand where all this fodder is coming from. I personally find his approach humorous and honest. It might get him an evil eye from the Front Office and the League, but I appreciate what he's doing.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Damn, I love a good posole. I make it for our family. If you feel up to it, please PM me any suggestions you have.

Glad you have a thick skin because in any group there will be some outliers with weird opinions. But I think it is safe to say we all want Arian to do well both in his recovery and this season. I would like to reiterate what DB said about Arian's TD celebration - very classy.

Thanks for your family story.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read