Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans buying into Phillips' defensive scheme

prostock101

Mr. Big

"Shaun Cody deflected a pass and ran off the field, arms stretched toward the sky. His fellow defensive linemen met him on the Texans sideline, where a mini-celebration ensued.

On another play, Connor Barwin, using a technique hammered home during training camp, embarrassed San Francisco left tackle Joe Staley and drove quarterback Alex Smith into the Candlestick Park grass.

It's still the preseason, but it's already clear the Texans' defense is different. Need proof? The Texans are ranked No. 1 in total defense this preseason, which is particularly impressive considering coordinator Wade Phillips hasn't utilized the complete playbook just yet."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-buying-into-Phillips-defensive-scheme-2148570.php

TexansFanatic

Extremist
It's still the preseason, but it's already clear the Texans' defense is different. Need proof? The Texans are ranked No. 1 in total defense this preseason, which is particularly impressive considering coordinator Wade Phillips hasn't utilized the complete playbook just yet.
Wow! This season is going to be fun. FINALLY!!!

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
What I like most is how the defensive coaches are just coaching. I'm reading here that they noticed Barwin needed to practice his stab move better and then we see the results on the field. I'm also seeing the defensive unit being talked to more on the side lines. The scheme itself doesn't stop pressuring the QB all game so players know there are going to be opportunities to make plays.

drs23

Veteran
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling 'giddy' about this D. Worst to first may be too much to expect but I'll not be surprised to see them above the middle of the pack when it's all said and done.

I like Wade's approach as to not force feed them too much, too soon. To let them get the first two or three pages of the playbook down pat before moving on which he and Gary have stated on several occasions. This brings up another thought that I've not seen anyone touch on yet.

Last year Frank Bush kept talking about "simplyifing" the D as to not put too much on their plate. That always came across to me as him saying the players weren't sharp enough to pick up and play a full pro defense and that always struck me as being odd. How can pro athletes make a pro team and be too dense to learn a playbook? That it required him to "dumb it down". Doesn't that in and of it's self prove what many have said then and since? That the coaches couldn't coach and that was the root of the problem all along?

It looks like a combination of poor coaching and some poor players made the perfect storm recipe for failure.

Does this sound like an accurate assessment or am I on the warning track in deep left?

Comments welcome.:d:

Last edited:

TheCD

Rookie
Last year Frank Bush kept talking about "simplyifing" the D as to not put too much on their plate. That always came across to me as him saying the players weren't sharp enough to pick up and play a full pro defense and that always struck me as being odd. How can pro athletes make a pro team and be to dense too learn a playbook? That it required him to "dumb it down". Doesn't that in and of it's self prove what many have said then and since? That the coaches couldn't coach and that was the root of the problem all along?

It looks like a combination of poor coaching and some poor players made the perfect storm recipe for failure.

Does this sound like an accurate assessment or am I on the warning track in deep left?

If the defense starts strong (compared to last year, at least) and keeps it up all season I think the only reasonbale conclusion is the coaching staff. This staff has quickly weeded out who they have felt are the weakest spots, regardless of draft position (please let's not debate on Mario as that isn't as obvious as, say Okoye, Pollard and Wilson).

I think the simple fact is that the guys Kubiak chose in the past may have fit what he wanted philosophically out of a defense, but they were probably just in over their heads and covering for themselves.

I think Kubiak's glaring weakness (pure conjecture here, obviously) has been that he hands the reins of the defense to those coaches and let's them do their job. The previous staff was in too deep and just couldn't cut it.

I expect good things from Wade if he is just in charge of defense, but I'm worried that either 1) he will do well enough that he will leave in the next two years and our D will regress from a poor choice of new DC, or 2) Wade will become the HC and we will lose the edge on D due to his macromanagement of the team as HC. Hopefully, if #2 happens, Wade's style fits in with the less attention-hungry players that we have as opposed to the Cowboys.

gtexan02

Working?

"Shaun Cody deflected a pass and ran off the field, arms stretched toward the sky. His fellow defensive linemen met him on the Texans sideline, where a mini-celebration ensued.

On another play, Connor Barwin, using a technique hammered home during training camp, embarrassed San Francisco left tackle Joe Staley and drove quarterback Alex Smith into the Candlestick Park grass.

It's still the preseason, but it's already clear the Texans' defense is different. Need proof? The Texans are ranked No. 1 in total defense this preseason, which is particularly impressive considering coordinator Wade Phillips hasn't utilized the complete playbook just yet."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-buying-into-Phillips-defensive-scheme-2148570.php

In 2010, the top 5 defensive teams in preseason were:
1. Carolina Panthers (ranked 18th in regular season)
2. Pittsburgh Steelers (ranked 2nd in regular season)
3. New York Jets (ranked 3rd in regular season)
4. Atlanta Falcons (ranked 16th in regular season)
5. Cleveland Browns (ranked 22nd in regular season)

The Texans ranked 9th (ranked 30th in regular season)

It doesnt seem like there was a very strong correlation last year between preseason and regular season. I'm going to have to wait until the games count to buy in 100%. Its nice to be at the top of defense, even if only in the preseason, but so much of it has to with offense quality, level of implementation, amount of times the starters played, etc. And its a sample size of 3 games right now. The one where our 1's played meaningful minutes was against the hapless 49ers.

TheCD

Rookie

It doesnt seem like there was a very strong correlation last year between preseason and regular season. I'm going to have to wait until the games count to buy in 100%. Its nice to be at the top of defense, even if only in the preseason, but so much of it has to with offense quality, level of implementation, amount of times the starters played, etc. And its a sample size of 3 games right now. The one where our 1's played meaningful minutes was against the hapless 49ers.

Could you possibly give any stats regarding where the defenses ranked when only the starters were playing? Probably too much work, I'm sure, but there should be a stronger correlation there than with overall team defense with how much the backups play in games 1 and 4.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'll stand by the same thing I've been saying for almost a year now.

The Coaches simply didn't trust the players. Instead of letting them get really good at what they're good at, by letting them do what they like to do, they had them playing a type of prevent defense trying to protect against the worse possible thing that could happen.

It didn't make sense to me. 2009, we saw what happened when we took off the leash & let them do what they do.

In 2010, it was, "let's do this to compensate for missing Cushing." "Let's do that to compensate for missing Demeco." "Let's stay back & help Kareem."

Instead of taking a next man up approach..... Cushing's going to miss 4 games... Zach it's your turn, show us what you can do. & if he can't, it's time for Adibi or Bently. Same thing with Kareem... D'you think the Jets drafted Kyle Wilson to be the nickel corner? hell no. But he couldn't handle the job, next man up... Cro. Looks like Wilson may have trouble holding the nickel, next man up.....

♪

Perki-Perk

DieHard Texan!

OK! I'm still sipping Kool Aid. Out of those 5, 2 of them had a 2nd and 3rd ranked D. 2 more were middle of the road at 16th and 18th, the other one in the bottom 3rd of the NFL.

The one thing that sets us apart and gives us a more direct correlation to regular season: A proven Wade Phillips!! Sip, Sip, Sip

badboy

Hall of Fame
While I believe coaching was a big isue to be fair, I want to see how players that remain on team from last year or so do under Phillip's staff. KJ, Quin, Barber and Nolan for example. Is important to note that Bush could have been shackled by Okoye, WIlson and other now departeds.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!

"And down goes Frazier!"

Touche, gtex. While I like what I see from our base front 7. But, like you, I'll remain cautiously optimistic

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
"And down goes Frazier!"
I don't think so.

We all understand that it is the pre season. But these games are far from meaningless. We all had an idea of what to expect from our team, we all had questions and concerns. Some of us saw what we needed to see, some of our questions have been answered.

Some of us have seen enough to believe this is our time.... some of us hadn't

But that's ok.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I don't think so.

We all understand that it is the pre season. But these games are far from meaningless. We all had an idea of what to expect from our team, we all had questions and concerns. Some of us saw what we needed to see, some of our questions have been answered.

Some of us have seen enough to believe this is our time.... some of us hadn't

But that's ok.
So you're saying you've seen enough in these 3 games to say it's our time? Ha, come on, man

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So you're saying you've seen enough in these 3 games to say it's our time? Ha, come on, man
It's like Christmas Eve.

You know, we've been bug'n Mom & Dad for that new GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip. We've been good, at least for the last few weeks.

There is only one box under the tree with my name on it & it's about the size of a GI Joe Action figure. Mom & Dad have been smiling & giggling every time I come into the room. They tell me they notice how good I've been. They hint that I'm going to be very happy come Christmas day.

Now, I can't tell you that we're going to go 11-5 or win a Super Bowl appearance. But from what I see the moves we made this off season look solid & we are going to have a competitive team.

& that's all you can ask at this point in the season.

I understand I might open that box in the morning & it turn out to be a dozen green army men, or worse, a Malibu Barbie.

But for now, I can't sleep, thinking about that GI Joe (especially the Kung Fu grip :kitten:).

♪

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
It's like Christmas Eve.

You know, we've been bug'n Mom & Dad for that new GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip. We've been good, at least for the last few weeks.

There is only one box under the tree with my name on it & it's about the size of a GI Joe Action figure. Mom & Dad have been smiling & giggling every time I come into the room. They tell me they notice how good I've been. They hint that I'm going to be very happy come Christmas day.

Now, I can't tell you that we're going to go 11-5 or win a Super Bowl appearance. But from what I see the moves we made this off season look solid & we are going to have a competitive team.

& that's all you can ask at this point in the season.

I understand I might open that box in the morning & it turn out to be a dozen green army men, or worse, a Malibu Barbie.

But for now, I can't sleep, thinking about that GI Joe (especially the Kung Fu grip :kitten:).

♪
Soo, I take it your parents dicked you on a GI Joe when you were younger? :hmm:

Otherwise, I'd have to wonder about you TK. Ha

Tango

Practice Squad
I liked that subtle kool-aid man on the hat! My attempt was not so subtle!
Keep the kool-aid pouring.

I'm getting a kick out of wanting the offense to get off the field so I can watch the defense.

False Start

On # 69
Sunday morning after the SF game, people were calling in to "name the defense" on 610. They talked about if for 3 hours! Folks were going waaaay overboard. :wadepalm:

I sent in a suggestion of "wait till about week 6 before you name them" defense. It didn't fly...they got all pissed. :heh:

With this team's history all aspects of this team.... all the way down to the practice squad, are always gonna be wait and see to me until they prove otherwise. I love the offense, they have proved it over a few years. With the defense, its only been preseason games, they are gonna have to show they are legit for a lot longer than that.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
With this team's history all aspects of this team.... all the way down to the practice squad, are always gonna be wait and see to me until they prove otherwise. I love the offense, they have proved it over a few years. With the defense, its only been preseason games, they are gonna have to show they are legit for a lot longer than that.
I'm still having trouble with this.

The offense can choose not to play well for three qtrs & then throw up 28 points in the 4th Qtr & they're the heroes.

The defense can choose to do the same....... allow 30 points through three qtrs, but shut the other team down in the 4th & they're the zeroes.

It wouldn't matter if the defense scored 6 of the 28 points, the offense still walks out unscathed......

♪

Rey

The offense can choose not to play well for three qtrs & then throw up 28 points in the 4th Qtr & they're the heroes.

The defense can choose to do the same....... allow 30 points through three qtrs, but shut the other team down in the 4th & they're the zeroes.

It wouldn't matter if the defense scored 6 of the 28 points, the offense still walks out unscathed......

♪
Been saying this since last year.

Offense can't make comebacks by themselves.

One side of the ball has the ability to erase a half of mistakes one side can't. Playing a half of football is not a good thing and often leads to inflated stats.

False Start

On # 69

♪
People view different things different ways, and that's my view. I have more faith that the talent on offense can get it done with a good defense. They let off the throttle or start slow, that pisses me off too. I believe though that with a better defense last season, some of the sad situations they put them selves into with last minute screw ups, comebacks etc, would have never have been an issue. Things could have been a whole lot better, and I hate "could have beens." That's why they play the games though, so wait and see, lol. JMO ;)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
People view different things different ways, and that's my view. I have more faith that the talent on offense can get it done with a good defense. They let off the throttle or start slow, that pisses me off too. I believe though that with a better defense last season, some of the sad situations they put them selves into with last minute screw ups, comebacks etc, would have never have been an issue. Things could have been a whole lot better, and I hate "could have beens." That's why they play the games though, so wait and see, lol. JMO ;)
The Colts & the Greatest Show on Turf got away with sub-standard defenses because their offenses were as good as we think ours is. They got on the field, they scored & scored often, putting pressure on the opposing offense to score. Then they could grind it out when they had the lead, keeping that substandard defense on the bench.

Our offense is not that good. We don't have that kind of talent on our offense. Is Matt Schaub in Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning's league..... that's debatable. But who is our AzAkim(sp) or Tory Holt???? remember, Isaac Bruce was our AJ. They still had Orlando Pace & Marshall Faulk.... at least three HOFers on that team. One is already there.

Peyton, Harrison, Wayne, Edgerin james, Saturday, Stokely, Clark...

We get by, because of the scheme, we don't want to admit it, but it's because of the coach. if we were truly a top 5 offensive team, we could field the league's worst run defense & still win 10 games year in & year out.

The Colts have been doing it for the last 6 years.

michaelm

vox nihili
if you were worried you may perhaps get a Malibu Barbie for Christmas, then all I can say is I understand your posts better now.
Off topic, I know you absolutely have to have more rep than 1984.

That number has relevance for several different reasons in our society.... hmm...
I'm assuming that it's there intentionally, and further assume that it isn't a Van Halen reference...

as I said, hmmm.. is there something to it, or am I having a conspiracy theory moment???

badboy

Hall of Fame
This for the majority of fans is great as a win is a win regardless of how team plays. WHile I am grateful for win I want to see good play. What I think we will see is a much higher scoring avg IF we can start our high octane O. in first quarter rather than late second or third.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Colts & the Greatest Show on Turf got away with sub-standard defenses because their offenses were as good as we think ours is. They got on the field, they scored & scored often, putting pressure on the opposing offense to score. Then they could grind it out when they had the lead, keeping that substandard defense on the bench.

Our offense is not that good. We don't have that kind of talent on our offense. Is Matt Schaub in Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning's league..... that's debatable. But who is our AzAkim(sp) or Tory Holt???? remember, Isaac Bruce was our AJ. They still had Orlando Pace & Marshall Faulk.... at least three HOFers on that team. One is already there.

We get by, because of the scheme, we don't want to admit it, but it's because of the coach. if we were truly a top 5 offensive team, we could field the league's worst run defense & still win 10 games year in & year out.

Still the purpose ove the offense is to score points and control time of possession. We did that last season better than most teams. With Tate added, the O line returning along with Butler and Kubes focusing only on offense, we could go pretty far this year.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Off topic, I know you absolutely have to have more rep than 1984.
When he stopped posting, 1984 rep points was among the highest. Since, rep points have climbed across the board, and you'll get bumped a lot more than you would have in 2009.

As far as Phillips is concerned, players can sense competency. They know that Wade isn't taking a guess, he knows his stuff. He's someone they can believe in. I still think the Texans have weak spots in the defense, and good teams will try to exploit them. But, it won't be the blitzkreig we witnessed in years past. This defense will have a fighting chance.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Let me add and say I agree 100%. I watch the colts a lot and the one thing the poor rush defense does is cut into the plays manning and company get on the field. Last season as with most, they get the least amout of plays, yet they still score top 4 in points. Does anyone on this board think the texans could win a game when they've only had the ball for like 17 mins? I mean without a running game, they still scored 27ppg. In fairness, their defense has always been one of the best scoring defenses and they don't allow quick tds.

This is one of my main concerns with the texans and their rush defense. I don't think the offense can rescue the game if teams are running the ball and eating up clock. This isn't a quick strike offense, but more methodical in its approach. If teams are running successfully vs the texans, then they will be pressed to make something happen which may lead to mistakes.

Señor Stan

El Guapo
Sunday morning after the SF game, people were calling in to "name the defense" on 610. They talked about if for 3 hours! Folks were going waaaay overboard. :wadepalm:

I sent in a suggestion of "wait till about week 6 before you name them" defense. It didn't fly...they got all pissed. :heh:

Come to think of it...what is the Baltimore Raven's Defense "named"...the Jets?...Steelers? (Steel Curtain doesn't count that was 30+ yrs ago)...

badboy

Hall of Fame
Señor Stan;1765227 said:
Come to think of it...what is the Baltimore Raven's Defense "named"...the Jets?...Steelers? (Steel Curtain doesn't count that was 30+ yrs ago)...
I think every defensive play, fans should shout "stop it!". As Texans fame grows, I can see people throughout the states looking at each other and saying "stop it!". It could rally catch on.

Wolf

100% Texan
Wade Phillips goes from Jerry's stooge to Texans' savior
TAMPA, Fla.—A bumbling ***** is turning out to be the best offseason pickup in the NFL.

There was more evidence Sunday. Houston played with Tampa Bay like a Rottweiler toys with a rubber chicken. The man giving the Texans their bite is none other than Wade Phillips.

The same Wade Phillips last spotted on the Dallas sideline wearing a big red nose and spraying a seltzer bottle. He wasn’t really a clown, though you’d have thought so based on the job reviews.

Phillips was fired last season after a 1-7 start. He resurfaced as Houston’s defensive coordinator. Could it be mere coincidence that the Texans are finally a legitimate playoff team?

“I think my reputation helped,” Phillips said.

Yeah, but not the one most think of. He’s reputed to be one of the best defensive coaches around, which was just what the Texans needed.
Wade Phillips is quick to credit the players for the Texans' rise on defense. (AP Photo)

They were 30th in the NFL in total defense last season. Now they are No. 1.
We’re still learning,” linebacker Brian Cushing said. “I think this team is going to be dangerous once we get going.”

You’d have a hard time convincing Josh Freeman the Texans’ defense isn’t already something to avoid. Houston sacked him four times and forced four turnovers. That gets back to the scheme devised by Phillips.

“Nah, it’s not me,” he said. “It’s the players.”

That’s the standard Phillips response. In a profession where bombast and ego aren’t hard to find, he’s unassuming and easy to like. Those finer human qualities supposedly worked against him over the past 35 years.
Phillips switched Houston from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. He moved All-Pro defensive end Mario Williams to outside linebacker.

Williams tore a pectoral muscle last month was lost for the season. But rookie Brooks Reed has been more than adequate as a replacement. The defensive transformation is more impressive when you consider there was no offseason.

“The players believed in me whether they knew me or not,” Phillips said.

Apparently they hadn’t been listening much to Dallas radio.

“There is more and more confidence,” Connor Barwin said. “We are learning the system.”

Phillips’ system.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-13/wade-phillips-goes-from-jerrys-fool-to-texans-savior#ixzz1doRpMguS

HJam72

Hall of Fame
I think every defensive play, fans should shout "stop it!". As Texans fame grows, I can see people throughout the states looking at each other and saying "stop it!". It could rally catch on.
I like that....because I'm freaking nuts. :splits: