Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2011   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans buying into Phillips' defensive scheme

if you were worried you may perhaps get a Malibu Barbie for Christmas, then all I can say is I understand your posts better now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #22
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=ObsiWan;1764478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Actually Mr. Koolaid was the first thing I saw... And I, too, was wondering if prostock did it...
...well, didja?
Actually I did. Thought ya'll would get a kick out of it. Sometimes I just crack myself up. I do have to admit that this defense is making me THIRSTY!!!!!!
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It's like Christmas Eve.

You know, we've been bug'n Mom & Dad for that new GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip. We've been good, at least for the last few weeks.

There is only one box under the tree with my name on it & it's about the size of a GI Joe Action figure. Mom & Dad have been smiling & giggling every time I come into the room. They tell me they notice how good I've been. They hint that I'm going to be very happy come Christmas day.

Now, I can't tell you that we're going to go 11-5 or win a Super Bowl appearance. But from what I see the moves we made this off season look solid & we are going to have a competitive team.

& that's all you can ask at this point in the season.

I understand I might open that box in the morning & it turn out to be a dozen green army men, or worse, a Malibu Barbie.

But for now, I can't sleep, thinking about that GI Joe (especially the Kung Fu grip ).

Soo, I take it your parents dicked you on a GI Joe when you were younger? :hmm:

Otherwise, I'd have to wonder about you TK. Ha
Old 08-31-2011   #24
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=prostock101;1764520]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Actually I did. Thought ya'll would get a kick out of it. Sometimes I just crack myself up. I do have to admit that this defense is making me THIRSTY!!!!!!
Yup, got a kick out of it as well. Made me laff. Guess I'm just kinda slow.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #25
Tango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked that subtle kool-aid man on the hat! My attempt was not so subtle!
Keep the kool-aid pouring.

I'm getting a kick out of wanting the offense to get off the field so I can watch the defense.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #26
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Sunday morning after the SF game, people were calling in to "name the defense" on 610. They talked about if for 3 hours! Folks were going waaaay overboard.

I sent in a suggestion of "wait till about week 6 before you name them" defense. It didn't fly...they got all pissed.

With this team's history all aspects of this team.... all the way down to the practice squad, are always gonna be wait and see to me until they prove otherwise. I love the offense, they have proved it over a few years. With the defense, its only been preseason games, they are gonna have to show they are legit for a lot longer than that.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
With this team's history all aspects of this team.... all the way down to the practice squad, are always gonna be wait and see to me until they prove otherwise. I love the offense, they have proved it over a few years. With the defense, its only been preseason games, they are gonna have to show they are legit for a lot longer than that.
I'm still having trouble with this.

The offense can choose not to play well for three qtrs & then throw up 28 points in the 4th Qtr & they're the heroes.

The defense can choose to do the same....... allow 30 points through three qtrs, but shut the other team down in the 4th & they're the zeroes.

It wouldn't matter if the defense scored 6 of the 28 points, the offense still walks out unscathed......

Old 08-31-2011   #28
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The offense can choose not to play well for three qtrs & then throw up 28 points in the 4th Qtr & they're the heroes.

The defense can choose to do the same....... allow 30 points through three qtrs, but shut the other team down in the 4th & they're the zeroes.

It wouldn't matter if the defense scored 6 of the 28 points, the offense still walks out unscathed......

Been saying this since last year.

Offense can't make comebacks by themselves.

One side of the ball has the ability to erase a half of mistakes one side can't. Playing a half of football is not a good thing and often leads to inflated stats.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #29
False Start
On # 69

Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

People view different things different ways, and that's my view. I have more faith that the talent on offense can get it done with a good defense. They let off the throttle or start slow, that pisses me off too. I believe though that with a better defense last season, some of the sad situations they put them selves into with last minute screw ups, comebacks etc, would have never have been an issue. Things could have been a whole lot better, and I hate "could have beens." That's why they play the games though, so wait and see, lol. JMO

Old 08-31-2011   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
People view different things different ways, and that's my view. I have more faith that the talent on offense can get it done with a good defense. They let off the throttle or start slow, that pisses me off too. I believe though that with a better defense last season, some of the sad situations they put them selves into with last minute screw ups, comebacks etc, would have never have been an issue. Things could have been a whole lot better, and I hate "could have beens." That's why they play the games though, so wait and see, lol. JMO
The Colts & the Greatest Show on Turf got away with sub-standard defenses because their offenses were as good as we think ours is. They got on the field, they scored & scored often, putting pressure on the opposing offense to score. Then they could grind it out when they had the lead, keeping that substandard defense on the bench.

Our offense is not that good. We don't have that kind of talent on our offense. Is Matt Schaub in Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning's league..... that's debatable. But who is our AzAkim(sp) or Tory Holt???? remember, Isaac Bruce was our AJ. They still had Orlando Pace & Marshall Faulk.... at least three HOFers on that team. One is already there.

Peyton, Harrison, Wayne, Edgerin james, Saturday, Stokely, Clark...

We get by, because of the scheme, we don't want to admit it, but it's because of the coach. if we were truly a top 5 offensive team, we could field the league's worst run defense & still win 10 games year in & year out.

The Colts have been doing it for the last 6 years.
Old 08-31-2011   #31
False Start
On # 69

Cool, gotcha man.

Old 08-31-2011   #32
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
if you were worried you may perhaps get a Malibu Barbie for Christmas, then all I can say is I understand your posts better now.
Off topic, I know you absolutely have to have more rep than 1984.

That number has relevance for several different reasons in our society.... hmm...
I'm assuming that it's there intentionally, and further assume that it isn't a Van Halen reference...

as I said, hmmm.. is there something to it, or am I having a conspiracy theory moment???
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

This for the majority of fans is great as a win is a win regardless of how team plays. WHile I am grateful for win I want to see good play. What I think we will see is a much higher scoring avg IF we can start our high octane O. in first quarter rather than late second or third.
Old 08-31-2011   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Colts & the Greatest Show on Turf got away with sub-standard defenses because their offenses were as good as we think ours is. They got on the field, they scored & scored often, putting pressure on the opposing offense to score. Then they could grind it out when they had the lead, keeping that substandard defense on the bench.

Our offense is not that good. We don't have that kind of talent on our offense. Is Matt Schaub in Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning's league..... that's debatable. But who is our AzAkim(sp) or Tory Holt???? remember, Isaac Bruce was our AJ. They still had Orlando Pace & Marshall Faulk.... at least three HOFers on that team. One is already there.

We get by, because of the scheme, we don't want to admit it, but it's because of the coach. if we were truly a top 5 offensive team, we could field the league's worst run defense & still win 10 games year in & year out.

Still the purpose ove the offense is to score points and control time of possession. We did that last season better than most teams. With Tate added, the O line returning along with Butler and Kubes focusing only on offense, we could go pretty far this year.
Old 08-31-2011   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Off topic, I know you absolutely have to have more rep than 1984.
When he stopped posting, 1984 rep points was among the highest. Since, rep points have climbed across the board, and you'll get bumped a lot more than you would have in 2009.

As far as Phillips is concerned, players can sense competency. They know that Wade isn't taking a guess, he knows his stuff. He's someone they can believe in. I still think the Texans have weak spots in the defense, and good teams will try to exploit them. But, it won't be the blitzkreig we witnessed in years past. This defense will have a fighting chance.
Old 09-01-2011   #36
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:

Let me add and say I agree 100%. I watch the colts a lot and the one thing the poor rush defense does is cut into the plays manning and company get on the field. Last season as with most, they get the least amout of plays, yet they still score top 4 in points. Does anyone on this board think the texans could win a game when they've only had the ball for like 17 mins? I mean without a running game, they still scored 27ppg. In fairness, their defense has always been one of the best scoring defenses and they don't allow quick tds.

This is one of my main concerns with the texans and their rush defense. I don't think the offense can rescue the game if teams are running the ball and eating up clock. This isn't a quick strike offense, but more methodical in its approach. If teams are running successfully vs the texans, then they will be pressed to make something happen which may lead to mistakes.
Old 09-01-2011   #37
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sunday morning after the SF game, people were calling in to "name the defense" on 610. They talked about if for 3 hours! Folks were going waaaay overboard.

I sent in a suggestion of "wait till about week 6 before you name them" defense. It didn't fly...they got all pissed.

Come to think of it...what is the Baltimore Raven's Defense "named"...the Jets?...Steelers? (Steel Curtain doesn't count that was 30+ yrs ago)...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Come to think of it...what is the Baltimore Raven's Defense "named"...the Jets?...Steelers? (Steel Curtain doesn't count that was 30+ yrs ago)...
I think every defensive play, fans should shout "stop it!". As Texans fame grows, I can see people throughout the states looking at each other and saying "stop it!". It could rally catch on.
Old 11-15-2011   #39
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wade Phillips goes from Jerry's stooge to Texans' savior
TAMPA, Fla.—A bumbling ***** is turning out to be the best offseason pickup in the NFL.

There was more evidence Sunday. Houston played with Tampa Bay like a Rottweiler toys with a rubber chicken. The man giving the Texans their bite is none other than Wade Phillips.

The same Wade Phillips last spotted on the Dallas sideline wearing a big red nose and spraying a seltzer bottle. He wasn’t really a clown, though you’d have thought so based on the job reviews.

Phillips was fired last season after a 1-7 start. He resurfaced as Houston’s defensive coordinator. Could it be mere coincidence that the Texans are finally a legitimate playoff team?

“I think my reputation helped,” Phillips said.

Yeah, but not the one most think of. He’s reputed to be one of the best defensive coaches around, which was just what the Texans needed.
Wade Phillips is quick to credit the players for the Texans' rise on defense. (AP Photo)

They were 30th in the NFL in total defense last season. Now they are No. 1.

Quote:
We’re still learning,” linebacker Brian Cushing said. “I think this team is going to be dangerous once we get going.”

You’d have a hard time convincing Josh Freeman the Texans’ defense isn’t already something to avoid. Houston sacked him four times and forced four turnovers. That gets back to the scheme devised by Phillips.

“Nah, it’s not me,” he said. “It’s the players.”

That’s the standard Phillips response. In a profession where bombast and ego aren’t hard to find, he’s unassuming and easy to like. Those finer human qualities supposedly worked against him over the past 35 years.
Quote:
Phillips switched Houston from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense. He moved All-Pro defensive end Mario Williams to outside linebacker.

Williams tore a pectoral muscle last month was lost for the season. But rookie Brooks Reed has been more than adequate as a replacement. The defensive transformation is more impressive when you consider there was no offseason.

“The players believed in me whether they knew me or not,” Phillips said.

Apparently they hadn’t been listening much to Dallas radio.

“There is more and more confidence,” Connor Barwin said. “We are learning the system.”

Phillips’ system.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1doRpMguS
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #40
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think every defensive play, fans should shout "stop it!". As Texans fame grows, I can see people throughout the states looking at each other and saying "stop it!". It could rally catch on.
I like that....because I'm freaking nuts.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read