Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-31-2011   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans buying into Phillips' defensive scheme

"Shaun Cody deflected a pass and ran off the field, arms stretched toward the sky. His fellow defensive linemen met him on the Texans sideline, where a mini-celebration ensued.

On another play, Connor Barwin, using a technique hammered home during training camp, embarrassed San Francisco left tackle Joe Staley and drove quarterback Alex Smith into the Candlestick Park grass.

It's still the preseason, but it's already clear the Texans' defense is different. Need proof? The Texans are ranked No. 1 in total defense this preseason, which is particularly impressive considering coordinator Wade Phillips hasn't utilized the complete playbook just yet."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...me-2148570.php
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #2
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans buying into Phillips' defensive scheme

Nice find, thank you!
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's still the preseason, but it's already clear the Texans' defense is different. Need proof? The Texans are ranked No. 1 in total defense this preseason, which is particularly impressive considering coordinator Wade Phillips hasn't utilized the complete playbook just yet.
Wow! This season is going to be fun. FINALLY!!!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What I like most is how the defensive coaches are just coaching. I'm reading here that they noticed Barwin needed to practice his stab move better and then we see the results on the field. I'm also seeing the defensive unit being talked to more on the side lines. The scheme itself doesn't stop pressuring the QB all game so players know there are going to be opportunities to make plays.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #5
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling 'giddy' about this D. Worst to first may be too much to expect but I'll not be surprised to see them above the middle of the pack when it's all said and done.

I like Wade's approach as to not force feed them too much, too soon. To let them get the first two or three pages of the playbook down pat before moving on which he and Gary have stated on several occasions. This brings up another thought that I've not seen anyone touch on yet.

Last year Frank Bush kept talking about "simplyifing" the D as to not put too much on their plate. That always came across to me as him saying the players weren't sharp enough to pick up and play a full pro defense and that always struck me as being odd. How can pro athletes make a pro team and be too dense to learn a playbook? That it required him to "dumb it down". Doesn't that in and of it's self prove what many have said then and since? That the coaches couldn't coach and that was the root of the problem all along?

It looks like a combination of poor coaching and some poor players made the perfect storm recipe for failure.

Does this sound like an accurate assessment or am I on the warning track in deep left?

Comments welcome.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 08-31-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: sp
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #6
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Last year Frank Bush kept talking about "simplyifing" the D as to not put too much on their plate. That always came across to me as him saying the players weren't sharp enough to pick up and play a full pro defense and that always struck me as being odd. How can pro athletes make a pro team and be to dense too learn a playbook? That it required him to "dumb it down". Doesn't that in and of it's self prove what many have said then and since? That the coaches couldn't coach and that was the root of the problem all along?

It looks like a combination of poor coaching and some poor players made the perfect storm recipe for failure.

Does this sound like an accurate assessment or am I on the warning track in deep left?

Comments welcome.
If the defense starts strong (compared to last year, at least) and keeps it up all season I think the only reasonbale conclusion is the coaching staff. This staff has quickly weeded out who they have felt are the weakest spots, regardless of draft position (please let's not debate on Mario as that isn't as obvious as, say Okoye, Pollard and Wilson).

I think the simple fact is that the guys Kubiak chose in the past may have fit what he wanted philosophically out of a defense, but they were probably just in over their heads and covering for themselves.

I think Kubiak's glaring weakness (pure conjecture here, obviously) has been that he hands the reins of the defense to those coaches and let's them do their job. The previous staff was in too deep and just couldn't cut it.

I expect good things from Wade if he is just in charge of defense, but I'm worried that either 1) he will do well enough that he will leave in the next two years and our D will regress from a poor choice of new DC, or 2) Wade will become the HC and we will lose the edge on D due to his macromanagement of the team as HC. Hopefully, if #2 happens, Wade's style fits in with the less attention-hungry players that we have as opposed to the Cowboys.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post

Wade looks good sport'n the Texans Gear.

Also thought I'd add that, for posterity. We may never see that again.
Old 08-31-2011   #8
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wade looks good sport'n the Texans Gear.

I have to say it's really weird seeing a defensive coach who is considered a "guru" in the sport wearing Texans stuff.
Old 08-31-2011   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"Shaun Cody deflected a pass and ran off the field, arms stretched toward the sky. His fellow defensive linemen met him on the Texans sideline, where a mini-celebration ensued.

On another play, Connor Barwin, using a technique hammered home during training camp, embarrassed San Francisco left tackle Joe Staley and drove quarterback Alex Smith into the Candlestick Park grass.

It's still the preseason, but it's already clear the Texans' defense is different. Need proof? The Texans are ranked No. 1 in total defense this preseason, which is particularly impressive considering coordinator Wade Phillips hasn't utilized the complete playbook just yet."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...me-2148570.php

In 2010, the top 5 defensive teams in preseason were:
1. Carolina Panthers (ranked 18th in regular season)
2. Pittsburgh Steelers (ranked 2nd in regular season)
3. New York Jets (ranked 3rd in regular season)
4. Atlanta Falcons (ranked 16th in regular season)
5. Cleveland Browns (ranked 22nd in regular season)

The Texans ranked 9th (ranked 30th in regular season)

It doesnt seem like there was a very strong correlation last year between preseason and regular season. I'm going to have to wait until the games count to buy in 100%. Its nice to be at the top of defense, even if only in the preseason, but so much of it has to with offense quality, level of implementation, amount of times the starters played, etc. And its a sample size of 3 games right now. The one where our 1's played meaningful minutes was against the hapless 49ers.
Old 08-31-2011   #10
TheCD
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

It doesnt seem like there was a very strong correlation last year between preseason and regular season. I'm going to have to wait until the games count to buy in 100%. Its nice to be at the top of defense, even if only in the preseason, but so much of it has to with offense quality, level of implementation, amount of times the starters played, etc. And its a sample size of 3 games right now. The one where our 1's played meaningful minutes was against the hapless 49ers.

Could you possibly give any stats regarding where the defenses ranked when only the starters were playing? Probably too much work, I'm sure, but there should be a stronger correlation there than with overall team defense with how much the backups play in games 1 and 4.
Old 08-31-2011   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post

Comments welcome.
I'll stand by the same thing I've been saying for almost a year now.

The Coaches simply didn't trust the players. Instead of letting them get really good at what they're good at, by letting them do what they like to do, they had them playing a type of prevent defense trying to protect against the worse possible thing that could happen.

It didn't make sense to me. 2009, we saw what happened when we took off the leash & let them do what they do.

In 2010, it was, "let's do this to compensate for missing Cushing." "Let's do that to compensate for missing Demeco." "Let's stay back & help Kareem."

Instead of taking a next man up approach..... Cushing's going to miss 4 games... Zach it's your turn, show us what you can do. & if he can't, it's time for Adibi or Bently. Same thing with Kareem... D'you think the Jets drafted Kyle Wilson to be the nickel corner? hell no. But he couldn't handle the job, next man up... Cro. Looks like Wilson may have trouble holding the nickel, next man up.....

Old 08-31-2011   #12
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OK! I'm still sipping Kool Aid. Out of those 5, 2 of them had a 2nd and 3rd ranked D. 2 more were middle of the road at 16th and 18th, the other one in the bottom 3rd of the NFL.

The one thing that sets us apart and gives us a more direct correlation to regular season: A proven Wade Phillips!! Sip, Sip, Sip
Old 08-31-2011   #13
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

we believe in you wade!

Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

While I believe coaching was a big isue to be fair, I want to see how players that remain on team from last year or so do under Phillip's staff. KJ, Quin, Barber and Nolan for example. Is important to note that Bush could have been shackled by Okoye, WIlson and other now departeds.
Old 08-31-2011   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=prostock101;1764142]

OK, be honest. Who else didn't notice Wade sporting the Kool-Aid logo on his cap? I looked at that pic several times before I noticed it!

REP to prostock101! That there's funny!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=drs23;1764464]
Quote:

OK, be honest. Who else didn't notice Wade sporting the Kool-Aid logo on his cap? I looked at that pic several times before I noticed it!

REP to prostock101! That there's funny!
Actually Mr. Koolaid was the first thing I saw... And I, too, was wondering if prostock did it...
...well, didja?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"And down goes Frazier!"

Touche, gtex. While I like what I see from our base front 7. But, like you, I'll remain cautiously optimistic
Old 08-31-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
"And down goes Frazier!"
I don't think so.

We all understand that it is the pre season. But these games are far from meaningless. We all had an idea of what to expect from our team, we all had questions and concerns. Some of us saw what we needed to see, some of our questions have been answered.

Some of us have seen enough to believe this is our time.... some of us hadn't

But that's ok.
Old 08-31-2011   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think so.

We all understand that it is the pre season. But these games are far from meaningless. We all had an idea of what to expect from our team, we all had questions and concerns. Some of us saw what we needed to see, some of our questions have been answered.

Some of us have seen enough to believe this is our time.... some of us hadn't

But that's ok.
So you're saying you've seen enough in these 3 games to say it's our time? Ha, come on, man
Old 08-31-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
So you're saying you've seen enough in these 3 games to say it's our time? Ha, come on, man
It's like Christmas Eve.

You know, we've been bug'n Mom & Dad for that new GI Joe with the Kung Fu Grip. We've been good, at least for the last few weeks.

There is only one box under the tree with my name on it & it's about the size of a GI Joe Action figure. Mom & Dad have been smiling & giggling every time I come into the room. They tell me they notice how good I've been. They hint that I'm going to be very happy come Christmas day.

Now, I can't tell you that we're going to go 11-5 or win a Super Bowl appearance. But from what I see the moves we made this off season look solid & we are going to have a competitive team.

& that's all you can ask at this point in the season.

I understand I might open that box in the morning & it turn out to be a dozen green army men, or worse, a Malibu Barbie.

But for now, I can't sleep, thinking about that GI Joe (especially the Kung Fu grip ).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read