Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the team talent wise?
Top 5 11 14.47%
Top 10 35 46.05%
Top half 27 35.53%
Bottom half 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2011   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Strictly talent wise, where do we rank?

Top 5? Top 10? Top half?

Anything less than that It'd take a good argument for me to entertain.

Also, what teams are ahead of us talent wise?

I'm going to answer, just need to think about it for a second.

Last edited by Rey; 08-30-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Strictly talent wise, where do we rank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Top 5? Top 10? Top half?

Anything less than that It'd take a good argument for me to entertain.
Offensively - Top 5.

Defensively - mid pack until they show they're better than that

Special Teams - mid pack; mainly because we have a pretty solid PK and we've upgraded at punter. The return and cover teams are keeping those units from being any higher.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #3
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going top half as a team. I get that there is a truck load of talent on D now, but until they translate it on the field in a regular season game I'm a sceptic.
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Offensively - Top 5.

Defensively - mid pack until they show they're better than that

Special Teams - mid pack; mainly because we have a pretty solid PK and we've upgraded at punter. The return and cover teams are keeping those units from being any higher.
Maybe it's late and I'm not thinking clearly.

But I'm going to lockbon at top 5. Typing that I feel dirty and ashamed though.

That said, Arian is a beast. Aj is aj. Schaub is upper tier. The o line has good pieces across the board. Casey seems like he will deliver. Depth at rb is good. I think our wr talent is actually pretty good. Jj may not perform well consistently, but as a #3 wr he has to be up there right? Dickerson is a freak athlete. The talent is there. The refinery needs to come. Same for jj really. Owen Daniels is a beast and dreesen is no slouch.

Defensively (although they have a lot of question marks) I think weve got talent as well. Jjo, Mario, watt, smith, Cushing, demeco, manning, smith, gq, kjax, barwin, reed, Harris. Those guys have talent, some upper echelon, some really good.

Our defense isn't full of stiffs but talent wise our offense is crushing people.

Maybe top 5 was too high. Maybe top ten?
Old 08-30-2011   #5
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to sleep on this and will provide an answer tomorrow at work, bc that is what work is for right?!
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Difficult for me to answer so I did not vote. Offense should be top 5 and I think defense at least middle, 15-17? If CB#2 is addressd, ILBs remain healthy and we can slow run game against us, defense can be at least top 10. Mario is the player that could tip this thing into stratosphere if he ends up as disruptive as Wade thinks. If the stars line up just right we could have a Super Bowl team. Pittsburgh remains the only team I see as a loss.
Old 08-31-2011   #7
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

we top 32 till the season gets going....
Old 08-31-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Difficult for me to answer so I did not vote. Offense should be top 5 and I think defense at least middle, 15-17? If CB#2 is addressd, ILBs remain healthy and we can slow run game against us, defense can be at least top 10. Mario is the player that could tip this thing into stratosphere if he ends up as disruptive as Wade thinks. If the stars line up just right we could have a Super Bowl team. Pittsburgh remains the only team I see as a loss.
I dont see Pittsburgh beating the Texans at home .... I think the Ravens are a much tougher test on the road , a much better team than the Steelers for that matter.

The Texans have the games best reciever , a top 3 RB , a top 3 TE , an upper tier QB and the leagues best OL .... They were the most balanced team offensively in the NFL last season - You could argue they have the games best offense.

Defensively there is a lot of talent .... Its a matter of it coming together and the sum equaling its parts. They could be a top 5 defense ....

Talent wise , there is no single team I would point at and say "They are just better".

Edit: Teams I think are just as good as the Texans ? Baltimore , San Diego , Green Bay , New Orleans and Philly.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

We've got the best WR in the bidness. We've got a top 10-12 QB who, with a couple of good seasons, could catapult himself into the Elite range. We've got a RB that led the league in rushing last year and the OL that blocked for him.

We've got, I think, one of the elite TEs and easily the most under-rated. On top of that, I think with Casey, we might have another amazing weapon.

On the defense, we've got 2 Defensive Rookies of the Year and a #1 overall pick. One of our CBs is in the top 10 range. With Barwin, Reed, Braman, Sharpton, Watt, and Antonio Smith... we've got a talented front 7. We'll see about the rest of the back 3.

But for me, you take that all together... and I say top 10 talentwise.

So now the onus is on the coaches to translate that into a top 10 record.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #10
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang...I put bottom half.

Players who would start on MOST other teams:
Offense
Schaub
Foster
Andre
Daniels

Defense:
Joseph
Demeco
Cushing
Mario

And...that's it. Four locks on each side of the ball (and I'd even call into question the two linebackers. They're coming off injury and there's a lot of talented linebackers out there).

I feel like the scheme of our offense as well as the absolute greatness of Andre and Arian make our offense much better than the talent that is there. The whole sum of the parts is greater than the parts individually thing.

Defensively...we have some potential talent. JJ Watt looks like he could be great, Reed looks nice, but would they START on MOST other teams? Dunno.

Maybe I'm being overly critical because I know I'm biased, but I'd say we're bottom half in talent terms. I think we'll overachieve though as far as actual W/L goes
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #11
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Dang...I put bottom half.

Players who would start on MOST other teams:
Offense
Schaub
Foster
Andre
Daniels

Defense:
Joseph
Demeco
Cushing
Mario

And...that's it. Four locks on each side of the ball (and I'd even call into question the two linebackers. They're coming off injury and there's a lot of talented linebackers out there).

I feel like the scheme of our offense as well as the absolute greatness of Andre and Arian make our offense much better than the talent that is there. The whole sum of the parts is greater than the parts individually thing.

Defensively...we have some potential talent. JJ Watt looks like he could be great, Reed looks nice, but would they START on MOST other teams? Dunno.

Maybe I'm being overly critical because I know I'm biased, but I'd say we're bottom half in talent terms. I think we'll overachieve though as far as actual W/L goes
I got to say a lot of our backups start on most teams in the nfl maybe not the packers but really who wouldn't start Tate? Tennessee? Who wouldn't start reed? Smith? Barwin? I mean after this yr is done I am thinking a lot of teams would. Several of out O linemn?? I meanthey blocked for the number 1 rusher last yr and one ofthe top passers for the last 3 yrs,.. The only starter we got on O that I think wouldn't start on most teams is JJ and maybe walter (I but I will say walter has some hands on him and is a solid route runner). On D probably could go with KJ wouldn't start and cody or mitchel other than that who wouldn't start on MOST teams? I also tend to think that with jojo to teach him and WP KJ is gonna be good this yr.

Also MOST teams have people in one position or another that would not start on most teams, it is a function of the salary cap and honestly because it keeps teams as even as possible I like it. You can't have 11 Mannings or Fosters or AJ's running around on each team, just not gonna happen. One thing I do hope that we do this year is use the talent we have more effectively. That is really who wins cause barring AF type guys making well under what they deserve the Cap keeps the market pretty even.
Old 08-31-2011   #12
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our straight up talent is amazing, I think. Top 10 for sure.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #13
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

top 5. last year we were easily the most talented 6 win team. add jj, watt, reed,manning to the starting rotation and Barwin is back. we have a solid talent core. on paper we should be top 5. I'm worried a little about a lack of experience in the clutch, but that has nothing to do with talent
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We've got the best WR in the bidness. We've got a top 10-12 QB who, with a couple of good seasons, could catapult himself into the Elite range. We've got a RB that led the league in rushing last year and the OL that blocked for him.

We've got, I think, one of the elite TEs and easily the most under-rated. On top of that, I think with Casey, we might have another amazing weapon.

On the defense, we've got 2 Defensive Rookies of the Year and a #1 overall pick. One of our CBs is in the top 10 range. With Barwin, Reed, Braman, Sharpton, Watt, and Antonio Smith... we've got a talented front 7. We'll see about the rest of the back 3.

What teams do you think have more talent than the texans?
Old 08-31-2011   #15
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

One that won it twice!!!
Old 08-31-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Offensively - Top 5.
First, let me say I study our team... and observe other teams, so I can't really say.

However, I'd have a hard time believing we're top five, even on offense.

Schaub, AJ, Daniels, Arian...... Tate(??) & that's it. Some teams have as much talent on their offensive lines alone.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 08-31-2011 at 08:25 AM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #17
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Top 10 was easy, based on our O. If not for a lot of questions at D and HC, I'd entertain 5, but wow... just get me a playoff spot before I start trying to knock down teams that aren't eligible to sit above my beloved Texans.

For sure, you'd have to put Atlanta, GB, Saints, Eagles, Chargers, Colts, Ravens, Steelers and Jets on a list of teams that I would want to debate may or may not be as good or better than the Texans talent wise. So in my mind, we are at worst a top 10 team. Now there may be a team or three that deserve mention as well for the sake of debate, but all the same, I've listed one or two that can be discredited with some argument as well. But to take that list and knock of 5 in 10 seconds or less is merely homer-speculation that would do nothing more than make me look the fool as the season plays out.

I'll settle for top 10 right now. Considering a 6-10 record to launch into a new season with High hopes of derailing the Colts from the AFC South based on the talent sitting on paper AND beat the teams we should as well as the teams we could... Ironically, I feel all too comfortable in that spot. I'm not saying it can't happen, or this is the year,,, but for the love of god.... Sheesh, get it done already
Old 08-31-2011   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

offense has top 10 talent, I don't think anyone would argue that. But, the defense and special teams are not top 10 by any means. For an over all team score, I voted average, although I do think they are probably above average, but certainly not top 10 over all.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #19
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously the offense is very talented, so they're up there somewhere....

When you look at the D, Mario is one of the most talented guys in the league, period (hand off the gun now, didn't say 'best)... Watt, Smith, Ryans, Cush, JJ, Manning etc... All very talented guys...

But to be honest with you, though I do pay attention to the other teams/rest of the league, I don't give them as much attention as I do to the Texans...

In order for me to put an honest rank out there, I'd need to put our 22+ guys up against the other 31's 22+ guys and see how they match up/average out etc...

I won't pretend to know, so no vote for me...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
offense has top 10 talent, I don't think anyone would argue that. But, the defense and special teams are not top 10 by any means. For an over all team score, I voted average, although I do think they are probably above average, but certainly not top 10 over all.
Are you going off of production or talent?

Honestly, after reading tk's post about studying vs observing I'm a little less sure.

The talent is there though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read