Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-30-2011   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 216082 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default 2007/2008 Drafts

You want to know why it's taken Kubiak longer than he should have been given to create a winning team? Look no further than the 2007 and 2008 drafts. They brought this up on the radio this morning, and it struck a chord with me, so I went and looked up exactly who was taken.

Amobi Okoye - most people knew this was a mistake at the time. I wanted to believe, but even if I was optimistic about Okoye, I knew the team wasn't good enough to waste a 1st round pick on a project.

Jacoby Jones - still with the team, and I know people are always hoping for good things from him, but honestly, if you spend a 3rd round pick on a player, you'd like to see a little more out of him by this point. Still, when compared to the other players from these drafts, JJ is a hit.

Fred Bennett - just .... wow. If the guy was good enough to have the year he had as a rookie, shouldn't he be good enough to be in the league right now? Where the hell is he, anyway?

Brandon Harrison - we've still never drafted a quality safety. Maybe we'll stumble into a homegrown one in Quin.

Brandon Frye - where is he now?

Kasey Studdard - still with the team, but he's not good. Then again, he's a 6th round pick, so I am not bagging on the team for this pick.

Zach Diles - solid player, especially for a 7th round pick. I've never thought he should be a starter, but he should be a quality backup. Is he here this year? I haven't heard from him this preseason, and I've lost track of players due to the lockout.

Duane Brown - best player from these two drafts. He's not the best LT in the league, but he's very good in our system, and I think he's underrated as a run blocker.

Antwaun Molden - when this team had the worst secondary in the history of the NFL, Molden couldn't get on the field. In fact, the team went out and picked up Jason Allen from the scrap heap and started him right away. And I don't buy the "stayed injured" crap, either, because he'd frequently show up on kick coverage. If you're healthy enough to run down the field and collide with people going that speed, then you're healthy enough to put on your best Petey Faggins impression. The only thing worse than Molden's complete lack of impact on the field was Kubiak wasting a roster spot on him every year. If he was so bad that he couldn't get on the field, why take a job from someone else?

Steve Slaton - here's where I know may of you will differ with me, but I was never a real Slaton fan. I just felt like his 1200 yard season was the biggest smoke and mirrors job since Timmy Smith put up 230+ yards rushing in the Super Bowl. I was hoping he'd become our version of Reggie Bush to catch screen passes, take some pitches, and run a few draw plays while our #1 back (that never emerged that year) did the bruising, hard yards. So I give him credit for doing what he did, but I was still unconvinced. Unfortunately, I'll never know whether he could have excelled with a true #1 back doing the dirty work, because the guy fumbles the gloves right off his hands. So now he's gone. Wait ... is it official yet? I don't want to jump the gun.

Xavier Adibi - see Antwaun Molden for my thoughts on this guy.

Frank Okam - should never have drafted the guy if you thought he wasn't going to play motivated, and you should never have drafted the guy if you had any clue he was going to be a waste of human fat. And since they're paid to have a clue about these sorts of things .....

Dominique Barber - This guy is still trying. He's just not that good. I have nothing really against the guy, and especially since he's a 6th round pick, I just can't blast the team too much for this one, but a miss is a miss, no matter what round they come in. The later rounds obviously have more misses. That's just reality.

Alex Brink - I file this one with BJ Symons and Jared Zabransky. I honestly don't think Kubiak ever really had any intention of going with them, since he was only planning to carry two QBs, so I'm not sure why the wasted draft pick. 7th rounder, so I'm not going to kill them over it, but why? *shrug*

Anyway, for that two year period, we are entering the time period when those guys should be the core of the team. We got Duane Brown and Jacoby Jones. I know, we got Matt Schaub as well, but I don't consider him part of the draft, because someone else developed him at the pro level for three years. The Texans didn't scout him, assign a draft grade, and make the hard choice about who to pass up to take him. He's a good pick-up obviously, but the fact that he might be the best argument for those two drafts ought to be indictment enough.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
Old 08-30-2011   #2
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild
Default Re: 2007/2008 Drafts

Do you like anyone?

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Guess I'd never really thought about how bad those drafts really were. Casserly-like.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #4
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's too early to label a lot of these players, mostly the defensive ones. Our defensive coaches have been horse doo doo. We can see the impact Wade Phillips has made on the defense, so I still have moderate hopes for Adibi.

Diles was a pretty solid starter for us for a while, and Slaton played at a very high level, again, for a while. I'd have to give them some sort of props for that. The two failures at DB are a bit painful...and I'd have loved to see what Okoye would have done in this new system.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #5
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, terrible drafts and both pretty defense heavy. Who was drafting for that defense anyway? Kubiak? Must have been to miss that bad. Or the numbskulls he put into place to run it.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #6
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I'd have loved to see what Okoye would have done in this new system.
At what? DE?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Zac Diles signed with the St Louis Rams when free agency began, and is expected to be a starter for them this year.

I don't think the book is closed on Xavier Adibi, yet. He looks like he will make the Texans final roster this year, and be a contributor in the inside linebacker rotation.
Old 08-31-2011   #8
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
At what? DE?
Yes, at DE. No guarantees he would make an impact, but I wish we'd had a legit DC in the years when we were developing him.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is never included, yet he is a borderline top 10 QB & instrumental in each of those draft make-ups. Still even with him they were only average to below average. I suppose if they had just selected Darrelle Revis instead of Amobi Okoye in 07 & Chris Johnson in 08 results would have soared to above average

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I suppose if they had just selected Darrelle Revis instead of Amobi Okoye in 07 & Chris Johnson in 08 results would have soared to above average
Not necessarily. Part of Revis success surely lies with the team, system, and coaching staff that he went to. He went to a team/coaching staff that could develope talent unlike the Texans. With our terrible coaching staff, that Kubiak hand picked, Revis may have been terrible. We'll never know.

Those 2 drafts were awsomely bad and Kubiak was in charge of them. Kubiak knows nothing about evaluating defensive talent.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
At what? DE?
Ive always said I thought 0k0y3 was best suited to being a 3-4 DE rather than a DT in a 4-3. Go back and search post history. Bet Ive said it 20 times .....

He's been pretty good in Chicago .... although its a 4-3 . They give up the fewest yards per pass attempt in the NFL so far in the preseason ..... (5.0) 0k0y3 has 3 sacks and 5 tackles so far this preseason.

Houston is 5th in that statistic - Hell of an improvement over last season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 08-31-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #12
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you not include Schaub in these drafts? We gave up two 2nd rounders for him. So if we never made that trade, then they'd at least have two 2nd rounders to make these drafts look better.

I don't think these drafts were bad, but they weren't good either. I think these were just mediocre drafts for the Texans.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
How can you not include Schaub in these drafts? We gave up two 2nd rounders for him. So if we never made that trade, then they'd at least have two 2nd rounders to make these drafts look better.

I don't think these drafts were bad, but they weren't good either. I think these were just mediocre drafts for the Texans.
When you miss in the first round like they did with 0k0y3 .... its not mediocre , its bad.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 216082 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
How can you not include Schaub in these drafts?
Pretty sure I explained that in my original post.
Old 08-31-2011   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

It's revisionist history at best and downright dishonest at worst to say "most people knew this was a mistake at the time" in regards to Okoye.

He was universally held as one of the best players in the draft. It's not like we surprised everyone and drafted Donte Whitner. Some might have preferred another player, but to call him a "mistake at the time" is inaccurate.

That said, I completely agree with the sentiment of the thread. Those two drafts were completely awful.
Old 08-31-2011   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ive always said I thought 0k0y3 was best suited to being a 3-4 DE rather than a DT in a 4-3. Go back and search post history. Bet Ive said it 20 times .....

He's been pretty good in Chicago .... although its a 4-3 . They give up the fewest yards per pass attempt in the NFL so far in the preseason ..... (5.0) 0k0y3 has 3 sacks and 5 tackles so far this preseason.

Okoye's surge probably has as much to do with getting a new contract as anything .

A 3-4 DE is usually a taller guy than okoye's 6'1 .
Old 08-31-2011   #17
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Okoye's surge probably has as much to do with getting a new contract as anything .

A 3-4 DE is usually a taller guy than okoye's 6'1 .
Yep. 3-4 DE are supposed to be at least 6'4". He's not long enough nor stout enough to play the position.

He's in his best case scenario as a 3-tech in Chicago under Marinelli.
Old 08-31-2011   #18
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Yep. 3-4 DE are supposed to be at least 6'4". He's not long enough nor stout enough to play the position.

He's in his best case scenario as a 3-tech in Chicago under Marinelli.
He is a stout run blocker and a poor rusher. I think, if he put on some weight, he could be a solid 3-4 NT or 4-3 DT that was just paid to clog and run block.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It's revisionist history at best and downright dishonest at worst to say "most people knew this was a mistake at the time" in regards to Okoye.
It's not revisionist history, because it's true. Most people (OK, maybe I'll revise to a lot of people; happy?) knew at the time that he was a bad pick for the Texans. While he may have been a great pick for another team (or not, as it turns out), the Texans didn't have the luxury of taking on a 19-yr old project player. I had countless discussions with people about that very point. As a homer and Kool Aid drinker, I wanted it to be a good pick. And to be honest, I think Okoye may still turn out to be a good player. But teams these days don't draft players in the first couple rounds expecting them to be good a few years down the road. They expect them to be good now.
Old 08-31-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I think cutting okoye was a cap move.

Surely he could have competed with bulman, Lewis, and berry for roster spots.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read