Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2011   #1
Izzo01
Rookie

Default Per Chron: Cuts and IR placements

Looks like Molden is gone Lestar Jean and Darling both stashed on the IR

link: http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...ts-2146702.php
Izzo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #2
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Per Chron: Cuts and IR placements

laced on injured reserve were guard Shelley Smith, guard Kasey Studdard, receiver Lestar Jean and receiver Devard Darling.

Others waived were safety Antonio Baker, punter Brett Hartmann, safety Maurice Rolle and cornerback Jason Teague.

Waived injured were linebacker Matt Marcorelle, guard Darius Morris and receiver Paul Williams.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...ts-2146702.php
Old 08-29-2011   #3
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"placed on injured reserve were guard Shelley Smith, guard Kasey Studdard, receiver Lestar Jean and receiver Devard Darling."
Kasey Studdard had been expected. This is news to me about Shelley Smith and LeStar Jean, especially Jean. As far as Darling, it is a bit of a surprise they are keeping him at all. What seemed more likely is that he would be released injured like the other players mentioned.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #4
Izzo01
Rookie

Yeah wasn't expect Smith or Jean on IR thought Holiday would have been joining Molden as well ... still early though and there's a lot of cutting to do.
Izzo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I was pulling for Hartmann but Maynard has shown slightly better punts and rackers has shown the ability to kick the ball out of the endzone too so there was no use for him.
Old 08-29-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Adios molden. Wish you weren't another failed draft pick. I hoped they'd keep him and that he'd work out. Oh well not a huge deal.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I was pulling for Hartmann but Maynard has shown slightly better punts and rackers has shown the ability to kick the ball out of the endzone too so there was no use for him.
Hartmann didnt look too good on the last few KO's ..... couple of them were line drives. He'll latch on somewhere eventually .... but I didnt expect him to beat out a 13 year Vet on a team who's coach is on the hot seat , any other season .... he had a better shot.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzo01 View Post
Yeah wasn't expect Smith or Jean on IR thought Holiday would have been joining Molden as well ... still early though and there's a lot of cutting to do.
Would not be surprised to see them try Holliday at returns this week if he didn't get cut now.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #9
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Glad that we are stashing Jean away, I really like him and it's unfortunate about what happened to his shoulder.

I was sure he would go to the practice squad only to get grabbed up and succeed elsewhere.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzo01 View Post
I sure didnt see that coming ....

I was thinking maybe they were hiding Jean to stash on the PS by not playing him. What is his injury situation ? Could this be a move to keep his rights for the future ?

Smith to IR ? That simple ankle sprain doesnt sound so simple anymore.

Old 08-29-2011   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I sure didnt see that coming ....

I was thinking maybe they were hiding Jean to stash on the PS by not playing him. What is his injury situation ? Could this be a move to keep his rights for the future ?

Smith to IR ? That simple ankle sprain doesnt sound so simple anymore.
These injuries probably would not have kept guys out for the entire year but its a way for teams to hang on to promising guys that wouldn't be worth keeping unless they could be counted on for the full 16 games. So in a way they are pretty much stashing them, just not on the PS, but on IR. Expect both guys to come back strong next year and make the team. I doubt either would have made a large impact, if any, this season.
Old 08-29-2011   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
These injuries probably would not have kept guys out for the entire year but its a way for teams to hang on to promising guys that wouldn't be worth keeping unless they could be counted on for the full 16 games. So in a way they are pretty much stashing them, just not on the PS, but on IR. Expect both guys to come back strong next year and make the team. I doubt either would have made a large impact, if any, this season.
Thats what I was thinking when I saw they had been put on IR .....

What was S.Smith's contribution last season , was he PS or on the active roster ? I thought they might put him on the pup list .... sign a FA and release that guy later or if another player ended up on IR , open a roster spot that way ..... Would simply placing him on IR in any way affect Smiths PS elegibility going forward ? If not , then that might answer the question why they did it this way.

With the raves given to Jean by the DB's .... I get the idea they didnt want to risk trying to sneak him thru waivers. This buy's him an entire season , and next offseason to be with the team .... Im sure thats a big advantage for him when he's trying to earn a roster spot next season.

Old 08-30-2011   #13
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What was S.Smith's contribution last season , was he PS or on the active roster ?
I think he started on the PS and might have been 'called up' at some point in the season. Don't believe he saw any game action but maybe some ST plays.

Quote:
I thought they might put him on the pup list .... sign a FA and release that guy later or if another player ended up on IR , open a roster spot that way .....
Have to come into training camp on the Pup or you can't be on it at all. I do wish football had something like a DL though, I think its silly that you either keep an injured guy on the roster or end his entire season with IR.

Quote:
Would simply placing him on IR in any way affect Smiths PS elegibility going forward ? If not , then that might answer the question why they did it this way.
Good question, I don't know the answer.

Quote:
With the raves given to Jean by the DB's .... I get the idea they didnt want to risk trying to sneak him thru waivers. This buy's him an entire season , and next offseason to be with the team .... Im sure thats a big advantage for him when he's trying to earn a roster spot next season.
Yeah, getting some OTAs and an offseason program under his belt should help Jean immensely. I think Smith was going to make the team but hopefully he can take advantage of another offseason as well.
Old 08-30-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

More solid decision making by Texan FO? This is really getting scary Texan fans

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #15
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Now with the easy ones out of the way, looking forward to the next round of cuts, especially linebacker and wide receiver.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
Now with the easy ones out of the way, looking forward to the next round of cuts, especially linebacker and wide receiver.
You can add CB to that list .... McCain , McManis , Carmichael. Who stays , who goes ?!

I look at DE and wonder how many they keep as well. Watt , A.Smith and Jamison are virtual locks .... Does Bulman have a roster spot ?

There are a lot of unanswered questions with the LB spots ..... Braman , Dobbins , Nading .... do any of them make the final 53.

RB - How many stick 3 or 4 ? .... Slaton or OB27 as the #4 in that scenario ?

Lot of questions at the backup S spots too. Nolan seems to have one of those locked up ....

Old 08-30-2011   #17
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

So if Lestar has been put away on IR, I'm guessing it's the end for Tolliver and Maehl?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can add CB to that list .... McCain , McManis , Carmichael. Who stays , who goes ?!
Carmichael goes to IR I bet. McManis is probably the closest to getting cut.

Quote:
I look at DE and wonder how many they keep as well. Watt , A.Smith and Jamison are virtual locks .... Does Bulman have a roster spot ?
Bulman got cut yesterday I thought. If he didn't then I don't think he does have a spot, they probably keep 4 DE's on the roster, maybe another guy on the psquad.

Quote:
There are a lot of unanswered questions with the LB spots ..... Braman , Dobbins , Nading .... do any of them make the final 53.

RB - How many stick 3 or 4 ? .... Slaton or OB27 as the #4 in that scenario ?
Braman is probably out, Dobbins will make ILB backup and I imagine Nading may have a shot at staying although there are a ton of OLB's on our roster. I think they take 4 RB's into the season, I would imagine Obie Trice gets psquadded (again) or Slaton gets cut to get it that way.

Quote:
Lot of questions at the backup S spots too. Nolan seems to have one of those locked up ....
Nolan has a spot most definitely.
Old 08-30-2011   #19
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 08-30-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Carmichael goes to IR I bet. McManis is probably the closest to getting cut.
Quite possible .... but has he actually been hurt ?

Quote:
Bulman got cut yesterday I thought. If he didn't then I don't think he does have a spot, they probably keep 4 DE's on the roster, maybe another guy on the psquad.
Bulman did not get cut yesterday ..... Those players include the following -

Antwaun Molden
Antonio Baker
Brett Hartmann
Maurice Rolle
Jason Teague
Matt Marcorelle
Darius Morris
Paul Williams

Quote:
Braman is probably out, Dobbins will make ILB backup and I imagine Nading may have a shot at staying although there are a ton of OLB's on our roster. I think they take 4 RB's into the season, I would imagine Obie Trice gets psquadded (again) or Slaton gets cut to get it that way.
I could see Braman and Dobbins making the roster - I think Dobbins will because he can play multiple positions. Probably comes down to Braman or Nading ..... Dont know who has a better shot.

The RB situation is another wildcard .... Do they co with a former 1200 yard rusher or a guy who showed some flashes in camp. Do they cut both ? OB27 looks very ordinary to me ..... I'd PS him and only put him on the roster pending injury to one of the top three at the position. Either way , I think Slaton has a better shot at remaining with the team due to past performance.

Vickers ?!?! Just cant see two FB's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read