Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-29-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:On Mario and stat sheets

Quote:
You're hearing it already.

It's the criticism being thrown Mario Williams' way because after playing 17 snaps Saturday night at San Francisco, his name didn't show up in the official stat sheet.

That's right. Seventeen snaps for our new weakside outside linebacker conversion project and he recorded (officially) no tackles, no assists, no sacks, no tackles for loss, no quarterback hurries, no interceptions, no passes defended, no forced fumbles and no fumble recoveries.

Zip. Nada. Zilch.

But before you go all crazy and cram the airwaves with 'trade Mario' talk (again), consider that there might be more going on than the what the stat sheet is telling you.

I've tried to stay out of the Mario debate, mainly because he is learning a new position that's way out of his comfort zone.

The height of my criticism has been to say that "he's struggling" (which I think he is to a large extent) and this post on my Twitter feed after the New Orleans game last weekend where I said: "Maybe its just me but I didn't see Mario take a "big step forward" last night as Kubiak says. Live or on DVR."
So while I admit that I remain skeptical of this project, I sense the criticism out there is gaining momentum, to the point where it's somewhat unfair.

Let me say this. Just because Mario's name didn't show up in the stat sheet last night doesn't mean he didn't make any plays.

This afternoon, I re-watched every Texans defensive play in the first half of their game against the 49ers and came to the conclusion that Mario's perfformance was something a little bit better than he's "not making plays" - even though his name's not in the stat sheet.

Here's what I saw on my re-watch:
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...nd-stat-sheets
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:On Mario and stat sheets

I didn't see anything in there that I didn't already see watching the game live.

I have not re-watched a game yet, but I plan on recording this last game and going over the film because I really want to get a good read on some of the back-ups/ potential back-ups we'll have.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #3
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I really love these play by play breakdowns. It's just SO easy for us couch GMs to watch the game and make blanket statements like "Mario's struggling" and "Connor Barwin is invisible". And sometimes these statements have merit.

But watch the game play by play and really key in on one player, watching the situation on each play to see if he did the right thing or wrong thing, THEN I'll really listen. And people don't do that nearly enough, since talking straight out of your behind is just so much easier.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Should we really have to work so hard?

I'm starting to feel like a Saints fan, perturbed that no one understands the importance of a decoy.
Old 08-29-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Damn droid.
Old 08-29-2011   #6
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't they bring him from the blind side very much .... maybe a shift that needs to happen...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2011   #7
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty good review of things...

I've liked the progress I've seen, just have to hope the progress continues...

To me, it's not that the guy's playing a new position, it's that his new position requires him to come off the ball in a two-point stance...

Naturally, no matter if it's a four, three or two point stance a player is coming out of, their body is going to want to rise up... For a 6'6"/6'7" guy going up against mostly 6'3"-6'5" TEs/OTs and even shorter FBs, staying low is very important...

Coming out of a three-point stance, staying low wasn't a problem for Mario... His stance was so low that he could afford to rise and still be at least even with the TE/OT... But out of a two-point, he cannot afford to rise any... He's got to burst with the same speed and power as if he were in a three-point, but straight out of a two...

Add to it that he went all through college and his first five years in the league coming off the ball in a three and the guy really has to retrain his body...

1st quarter in the 34 against the Jets he looked high, slow and got taken advantage of at contact... 2nd and 3rd qts in the 34 against the Saints he looked lower and faster, but still didn't have that power at the point of contact... This last game against the Nines? He looked quick off the ball, low, fast and looked like he's learning to use that power coming off the ball level...

There's still improvement to be had, no doubt about it, but he looks as if he is getting comfortable with it, and finally conditioning his body to act correctly off the ball from a two-point stance...

Last edited by drunkcookie; 08-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Twist it and turn how ya want to, MW isn't cutting it as a WOLB. If this is evidence of a "pass rush", I'll kiss your ass. At 1:24, is that really a QB pressure by MW or a case of him not running a fly route past the QB? Progress? Hardly. At 1:30, they can say MW legitimately pressured the QB and ALMOST got a sack. At the 1:58 mark, is that where homers were saying MW was double/triple teamed?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #9
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

And yet another Mario thread. I wish they would trade him just so people would shut up about him.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
And yet another Mario thread. I wish they would trade him just so people would shut up about him.
there is always a whipping boy, it would go to the next player (cushing?)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #11
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I really love these play by play breakdowns. It's just SO easy for us couch GMs to watch the game and make blanket statements like "Mario's struggling" and "Connor Barwin is invisible". And sometimes these statements have merit.

But watch the game play by play and really key in on one player, watching the situation on each play to see if he did the right thing or wrong thing, THEN I'll really listen. And people don't do that nearly enough, since talking straight out of your behind is just so much easier.
Where's a gif of Jim Carrey from Ace Ventura when you need it?
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #12
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
there is always a whipping boy, it would go to the next player (cushing?)
You're probably right.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #13
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

As for as stats go for last game Cody led all texans with 3 tk. While San Fran had a few players with 6 or 5 tk. So by that reasoning San Fran must of had a hell of a lot better defense than the texans? Stop looking at stats and watch the game people. If the texans defense has a lot of 3 and out this year and the offense continues to control the clock some of the stats are going to look bad on paper. Thats a good thing.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=pirbroke;1763180]Never mind what I originally posted.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
As for as stats go for last game Cody led all texans with 3 tk. While San Fran had a few players with 6 or 5 tk. So by that reasoning San Fran must of had a hell of a lot better defense than the texans? Stop looking at stats and watch the game people. If the texans defense has a lot of 3 and out this year and the offense continues to control the clock some of the stats are going to look bad on paper. Thats a good thing.
Thank you.

Our 1's shut down their 1's.
Convincingly.
Mario and Cushing and Kareem Jackson are all part of a defense - OUR defense - that pitched a shutout. Apparently they did their jobs well enough not to screw the pooch and cost the rest of the defense points ...or even a significant number of yards.

Are we so conditioned to failure that even when the defense appears to be headed in the right direction, we just have to find something to whine about?

And all this "$14milliondollar man" stuff is rather silly. If you're mad at the fact that MW is due $14M this year, don't be mad at MW. Be mad at the guy who decided draw up that rookie contract. Because I don't recall Mario walking out (like Andre Johnson did) or having "pay me" on his shoes (you know who) or demanding an extension or clowning in any fashion whatsoever to get his deal. In fact, didn't Mario sign BEFORE the draft? And from the looks of this contract, looks to me like they back-loaded the contract for the benefit of the team. McNair stuck this "balloon payment" in the final year of Mario's contract. You want to blame someone for the $13.8 mil due this year, talk to Bob McNair.
Contract info
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #16
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe wade is hiding mario this pre-season so teams don't know whats coming. just a thought
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #17
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Thank you.

Our 1's shut down their 1's.
Convincingly.
Mario and Cushing and Kareem Jackson are all part of a defense - OUR defense - that pitched a shutout. Apparently they did their jobs well enough not to screw the pooch and cost the rest of the defense points ...or even a significant number of yards.

Are we so conditioned to failure that even when the defense appears to be headed in the right direction, we just have to find something to whine about?

And all this "$14milliondollar man" stuff is rather silly. If you're mad at the fact that MW is due $14M this year, don't be mad at MW. Be mad at the guy who decided draw up that rookie contract. Because I don't recall Mario walking out (like Andre Johnson did) or having "pay me" on his shoes (you know who) or demanding an extension or clowning in any fashion whatsoever to get his deal. In fact, didn't Mario sign BEFORE the draft? And from the looks of this contract, looks to me like they back-loaded the contract for the benefit of the team. McNair stuck this "balloon payment" in the final year of Mario's contract. You want to blame someone for the $13.8 mil due this year, talk to Bob McNair.
Contract info
I understand where you're coming from, but honestly it's no one's fault. His contract was the result of the previous CBA. Under that agreement 1st rounders simply made too much money. It's ridiculous for an unproven player to get that kind of coin.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #18
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
maybe wade is hiding mario this pre-season so teams don't know whats coming. just a thought
They might be letting Mario practice some of the elements that are more foreign to now to gain experience. Let's face it, we all know MW can rush with his hand on the ground. I have a feeling during the season you'll see more plays where MW has his hand on ground.

Admittedly, I'm not a Cowboys fan, but i don't remember Ware being in a 2 pt stance all the often, I could be wrong though.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #19
mugrakers
Rookie

Rep Power: 137 mugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respected

honestly he's only in a 2 point stance on first and second down... on third down both Barwin and Mario pin their ears back and get down in a 3 point stance. This shouldn't be a big deal in a few weeks.
mugrakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

individual preseason stats somehow matter less than the team W-L record for these games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read