Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 04-23-2005   #1
Kontraband
Rookie

Default Travis Johnson.........

WTF
We traded 13th and possibly DJ for him.
IMO
Kontraband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #2
Dallashater
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontraband
WTF
We traded 13th and possibly DJ for him.
IMO
And the worst part is the cowboys are going to get the Spears... all the ESPN cowboy pumpers are going to praise J.Jones for weeks...
Dallashater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #3
Koruptified
Rookie

I don't understand why the Texans didn't grab Barron... I thought Carr needed protection.
Koruptified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #4
Master Po
Veteran

Travis Johnson | DT | Florida State

Johnson could slip due to a crass attitude and some character issues. After struggling through some off-field issues that affected his play early in his career at FSU, Johnson had a breakout season as a fulltime starter in 2004. In our opinion, he's the best defensive tackle in this year's draft class, and he has a chance to make a huge impact early in his NFL career. He's a one-gap penetrating DT with enough bulk and strength to hold the point of attack.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #5
pilottim
Rookie

Default Yay

He had 3 whole sacks last year. Oh did you know his junior year he had 3 whole tackles for loss.

Oh we didn't pick Shaun Cody who had almost 3 sacks in the Orange Bowl and has been a dominate force for 3 1/2 years in college

Please, can we draft a GM???
pilottim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #6
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Hate this pick. Spears and Williams were the only two defensive players I didnt like in this draft. I really, really hate this pick....sigh.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #7
ocd
Rookie

this best part about this **** pickis we just gave seth payne a very nice signing bonus and I'll assume johnson is his backup.

We're gonna wish we had taken david pollack in a big way. So I guess Peek has the OLB spot all but wrapped up.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2005   #8
Trapped
Veteran

i think 90 percent of Texans fans are pissed off right now. Im one of them.

Travis Johnson and 3rd round pick for DJ? Gimme a break.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #9
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 5042 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Frank Coyle:

Travis is the #1 DT in '05 Draft...he displays great quickness and great power that demanded special attention. He shows a rare combination of quickness, strength and athleticism with the ability to rush the passer from the inside and pursue very well on running plays. As a pass rusher he shows the explosiveness to gain fast penetration into backfield and the power to push the pocket as a bull rusher.

Well, CC and Dom had something in mind we didn't. Travis has potential and if you think NE and how they built their 3/4, young lineman have been key.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #10
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Decent pick. Not a great pick...but decent. Most of you aren't going to like it because it's not who you wanted. But then again, most of you were ticked when Casserly traded up to get Babin last year. How'd that turn out?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #11
ocd
Rookie

Texan In Japan

You're probably correct. Capers and Casserly have seen WAY more film than I have on every single player. They've interviewed each one and did background checks.

I'll be happier later.

Thanks for your post.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #12
Htown34s
Veteran

I like it. We NEVER win the line game on either side of the ball and this year's offensive linemen was a weak class. We have yet to go through a season with both Walker and Payne playing the entire time.

Honestly, from his highlights he looks like Gary Walker in his younger days. Walker may need to restructure his contract after next year if we keep him longer than this coming season.
Old 04-23-2005   #13
Erratic Assassin
All Pro

Rep Power: 13 Erratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVPErratic Assassin was voted MVP

As far as I'm concerned we drafted for need. DT is probably our biggest need. I know nothing about this guy, but the highlights they showed of him were unimpressive.
Erratic Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #14
ptowntexanfan
waterboy

DJ doesnt fit in well in a 3-4 scheme, and I would trust the fact that we will turn that third round pick in 2006 into a second rounder for this year. You have to look at how a player fits into a system, not just his numbers. We made a good pick.
ptowntexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #15
Davis37
All Pro

Not only do we trade down and not take DJ, we take a player that is not a Texan type player... From everything ive read he has character issues... WTF! I give CC a big kick to the balls!

And 2 thumbs down.
Old 04-23-2005   #16
Master Po
Veteran

For what it's worth...I made a few calls to my SEC buddies, and they all had nothing but good things to say about TJ. I know a lot of people are upset about this pick, but I also know that it's human nature to be a lot more skeptical of the players that you haven't really seen play or hear about. Especially when a 1st rounder is involved. We shall see.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #17
Htown34s
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped
Travis Johnson and 3rd round pick for DJ? Gimme a break.
I LOVE DJ, having watched his entire collegiate career here in Austin. But almost everyone has him as a better fit in a 4-3 scheme, not a 3-4. Personally, with his speed I thought he could still fit in with us.
Old 04-23-2005   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its a fine pick. He has alot of upside, and gives us some good depth on the d-line.

And give it up on Derrick johnson, he is not in the Texans plans. Never was. The Texans like what they see in Travis, and im sure things will work themselves out.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #19
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilottim
He had 3 whole sacks last year. Oh did you know his junior year he had 3 whole tackles for loss.
Last year he had 18 tackles for loss.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #20
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i for one like the pick...it adds some freakin aggression to our line...anyone who has seen this guy play will tell you he plays with a mean aggression...we need that on our o-line...and with how often walker and payne get hurt we needed to add someone...although i though marcus spears would fit us better he doesn't have the aggression johnson has...this is still a good pick i like it...i know everyone is pissed...but we'll see how this will work out

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read